Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: My intro thread - ex muslim convert

(Read 7130 times)
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • My intro thread - ex muslim convert
     OP - June 20, 2010, 03:28 PM

ok I have no clue where to start and I suck at writing and that is why I've been putting off writing this intro. so I apologize for the horrible grammar and if my thoughts are scattered.

Just to give you guys an idea of where I'm coming from during high school and in my early 20's I was in trouble alot. Looking back on things I was a total wankster but at the time I thought I was fucking tony montana.

The stuff I did got me fast cash that allowed me to live the lifestyle I wanted. I drank alot, partied and recreationaly did drugs. However, doing drugs turned into a big problem and I eventually told myself I had to stop everything.

It was at this time I started getting interested in Islam. I had read about it before (scientific miracles, religion of peace ect..) and I liked it. I actually believed in it and considered myself a Muslims while I was in my party phase but never practised anything at all except for not eating pork.

It was when I quit drugs/drink that I started giving thought to becoming a practicing Muslim. I was looking for a whole new way to live my life. So one day I just decided to wander into a masjid and talk to the people there.

This was probably the lowest I had been in my life, I was really depressed and when I went to the masjid I was 5"11 125lbs I must have looked like a holocaust survivor. I was at the point in my life where I was looking for something to believe in and was very open to whatever they would tell me.

The people there were mostly Arab (alot of Saudis working in the country, libyans too) and Somalis. The people were really great and I have nothing but love for Arabs and Somalis especially Saudis. All the people my age I developed close bonds with and a real brotherhood existed. This is one thing that I actually missed about Islam.

From my first day they taught me how to make wudhu and pray, started teaching me Arabic and obviously al fatiha ect.. In a week I had memorized a few surahs and the Arabic alphabet and was practising saying the letters properly.

You could definitely say I was a "salafi" and the group of people I hung out with just stayed in the masjid all day and read books, discussed Islam ect. We went and drank coffe and ate all day. Nobody cared about money and we just worked odd jobs (wrapping shwarmas ect..) for cash to pay rent and buy books, thobes ect lol.

We kinda isolated ourselves from the world around us and followed sunnah and basically pretended we were living in 7th century Arabia. I didn't watch movies, TV, or music. I didn't even read the newspaper.Mostly everyone was Arab and if they weren't they were a "wannabe Arab" me included.  

Now, while I was learning about Islam I read alot of stuff that made me say wtf. The scholars said alot of stuff that made me say wtf. But when you are surrounded by like minded people this all seems normal. But when you remove yourself from this environment thats when you start thinking seriously. It wasn't one thing but an accumulation of many things and when I looked at my beliefs I kinda woke up. I think this picture describes it perfectly...

Now if anyone wants to discuss what were the things that made me say wtf I would be happy to. (or answer any other questions you might have) or what Ive been doing since I left Islam.

I'm an asshat.
  • Re: My intro thread - ex muslim convert
     Reply #1 - June 20, 2010, 03:35 PM

Now if anyone wants to discuss what were the things that made me say wtf I would be happy to. (or answer any other questions you might have) or what Ive been doing since I left Islam.

Great intro post DigDug.

...what were the things that made you say wtf, and what have you been doing since you left Islam?
     Reply #2 - June 20, 2010, 03:50 PM

Thanks DigDug  Afro
     Reply #3 - June 20, 2010, 03:51 PM

Great intro post DigDug.

...what were the things that made you say wtf, and what have you been doing since you left Islam?

juzita khairan ya abee

Off the top of my head alot of stuff regarding the jinns and certain hadith that just make no sense. The way the message/quran was revealed, "Allah" changing his mind so much. Some scholars that I respected said the sun revolved around the earth and I was like wtf. But then when I checked it out I find out what they were saying is correct (according to Islam).

After I left Islam I don't do much of anything. It's kinda like getting out of jail it seems the world just went on without you. I go to the gym regularly and then come home and surf the web. I never went to uni so the plan is to take a health and fitnees course and get some certifications and become a personal trainer.

I'm an asshat.
     Reply #4 - June 20, 2010, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the intro, DigDug.

fuck you
     Reply #5 - June 20, 2010, 03:54 PM

Yep... very interesting story, digdug.  Afro

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #6 - June 20, 2010, 04:01 PM

So the Salafi side of Islam really appeals to many converts. That's quite startling. From being people with a clear conscience and thought (as far as I can tell) to become totally ingrained in puritanical glorification of 7th century Arabia....seems strange and disturbing how many converts get involved in this shit.

I guess its to do with many of them wanting to become 'the best of Muslims' so much that they happily embrace the wtf-ism of Salafism and Wahhabism to be as 'original' as possible to impress their fellow Muslim peers for their devotion and piety.

Shuddering thought for me as I come from a staunch Shia background....

Pakistan Zindabad? ya Pakistan sey Zinda bhaag?

Long Live Pakistan? Or run with your lives from Pakistan?
     Reply #7 - June 20, 2010, 04:03 PM

I guess its to do with many of them wanting to become 'the best of Muslims'

Yes. They want a 'pure' Islam free of culture.
     Reply #8 - June 20, 2010, 04:08 PM

Great intro post. Afro

ok I have no clue where to start and I suck at writing and that is why I've been putting off writing this intro. so I apologize for the horrible grammar and if my thoughts are scattered.

Nah, your writing is good.

The people there were mostly Arab (alot of Saudis working in the country, libyans too) and Somalis. The people were really great and I have nothing but love for Arabs and Somalis especially Saudis. All the people my age I developed close bonds with and a real brotherhood existed. This is one thing that I actually missed about Islam.

I also miss the brotherhood and support, but their brotherhood and support is only reserved for fellow believers, and that's not right.

You could definitely say I was a "salafi" and the group of people I hung out with just stayed in the masjid all day and read books, discussed Islam ect. We went and drank coffe and ate all day. Nobody cared about money and we just worked odd jobs (wrapping shwarmas ect..) for cash to pay rent and buy books, thobes ect lol.

We kinda isolated ourselves from the world around us and followed sunnah and basically pretended we were living in 7th century Arabia. I didn't watch movies, TV, or music. I didn't even read the newspaper.Mostly everyone was Arab and if they weren't they were a "wannabe Arab" me included.  

When you think about it, it's ridiculous how people can think that's the perfect way of life, for all time.
    It's like a cult, but they don't see it that way.  They really do believe that's how God wants them to live.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #9 - June 20, 2010, 04:16 PM

Welcome DigDug Smiley
     Reply #10 - June 20, 2010, 04:18 PM

So the Salafi side of Islam really appeals to many converts. That's quite startling. From being people with a clear conscience and thought (as far as I can tell) to become totally ingrained in puritanical glorification of 7th century Arabia....seems strange and disturbing how many converts get involved in this shit.

I guess its to do with many of them wanting to become 'the best of Muslims' so much that they happily embrace the wtf-ism of Salafism and Wahhabism to be as 'original' as possible to impress their fellow Muslim peers for their devotion and piety.

Shuddering thought for me as I come from a staunch Shia background....

Truthfully It wasn't "salafism" that drew me to Islam it was just kinda what I was indoctrinated with. They also don't just teach you "salafi" aqeedah they teach you everybody elses aqeedah and why its wrong (ahsari, mutazilah, shia ect..)

I devoted my life to learning this shit and now it might as well be sports trivia for the good it does me.

I think all Islam is BS obviously but I will always say that the "salafis" are the only ones doing that BS properly (lol) the way Muhammad did it.

Do you mind me asking why you would care if a Muslim convert became a salafi as opposed to a shia or whatever?

Yes. They want a 'pure' Islam free of culture.

Haha we lived by 7th century Arab culture which imo is like 80% of Islam

I'm an asshat.
     Reply #11 - June 20, 2010, 04:25 PM

Do you mind me asking why you would care if a Muslim convert became a salafi as opposed to a shia or whatever?

I just find it interesting that many converts to Islam, the young people especially, end up shifting towards Salafism rather than the more 'open' and less rigid among Muslim sects. Personally speaking all sects have a tendency to be full of a lot of BS, intolerance, idiocy and what not...but its the Salafi/Wahhabi aspect that tends to be the most revolting and ludicrous in terms of not just their spite towards other sects but also their own behaviour patterns as well.

Reply #12 - June 20, 2010, 04:28 PM

I don't find it surprising at all. I'd venture that one of the main reasons people convert to Islam rather than another religion is because it is more disciplined, ascetic, and assertive than most other religions nowadays-- so going the Salafi route seems natural.

fuck you
     Reply #13 - June 20, 2010, 04:31 PM

I also miss the brotherhood and support, but their brotherhood and support is only reserved for fellow believers, and that's not right.

I only told one Muslim I knew about my apostasy and we still hang out but I think it's hard because I don't pray or do anything like that. As muslims our whole day was centered around the prayer, if you weren't at the masjid itself you were in the vicinity drinking coffee or something.

I stopped seeing my old friends before I became Muslim not because I thought they were assholes or anything but simply because they did drugs/drink and I couldn't be around that for my own sanity.

If I told the "community" of my apostacy I think instead of shunning me they would be extra nice and try and bring me back into the fold of Islam.

When you think about it, it's ridiculous how people can think that's the perfect way of life, for all time.
    It's like a cult, but they don't see it that way.  They really do believe that's how God wants them to live.

I agree 100%. There are figureheads and everybody seems to act/think the same way. there is a definite "hivemind"

I don't find it surprising at all. I'd venture that one of the main reasons people convert to Islam rather than another religion is because it is more disciplined, ascetic, and assertive than most other religions nowadays-- so going the Salafi route seems natural.

This is exactly right. Thats why I gave some of the event that led me to Islam to show you guys what my mindset was.

I'm an asshat.
     Reply #14 - June 20, 2010, 04:34 PM

Spot on Sheikh Q  Afro

Seems like Salafism is like having a religious Dominatrix running the show for you. No wonder Islam means 'Submission'.  mysmilie_977

Reply #15 - June 20, 2010, 04:39 PM

Yeah, I assume most people who convert more out of a sense of "spirituality" gravitate towards Sufism, but those who most desire the discipline and sense of purpose go the Salafi route or something similar to it. I'd imagine most male converts end up in one of those categories.

fuck you
     Reply #16 - June 20, 2010, 04:44 PM

I just find it interesting that many converts to Islam, the young people especially, end up shifting towards Salafism rather than the more 'open' and less rigid among Muslim sects. Personally speaking all sects have a tendency to be full of a lot of BS, intolerance, idiocy and what not...but its the Salafi/Wahhabi aspect that tends to be the most revolting and ludicrous in terms of not just their spite towards other sects but also their own behaviour patterns as well.

Haha you are right about the hate for other sects thats for sure. Most of the converts I met ended up salafi came from a similar background as me. For me I just couldn't be a uni MSA "bubble gum" Muslim it's seems kinda teeny bopper justin beiber style.

I knew some white converts who went the other route but they just ended up becoming extreme in another way  (sufi). These guys tended to be really "spiritual" and flaky...even a bit feminine.

What I liked about (salafi) Islam was that it is definitely a man's religion. I was born a catholic but me or my family never practised anything. I grew up with catholic/orthadox christians and if anyone went to church or prayed they would be considered the biggest pussy on the planet...a "church boy".

I think Q-man decribed it perfectly with "assertive" from our attitudes to our beards dress and overall appearance it was like "fuck you I'm Muslim...deal with it"

I'm an asshat.
     Reply #17 - June 20, 2010, 04:46 PM

...and they say arrogance and vanity in the name of religion is a sin.  Roll Eyes

Reply #18 - June 20, 2010, 04:53 PM

Hi DigDug, interesting story! Are you in contact with your family? If so how did they feel about your conversion?

"We were married by a Reform rabbi in Long Island. A very Reform rabbi. A Nazi."-- Woody Allen
     Reply #19 - June 20, 2010, 04:55 PM

Yeah, I assume most people who convert more out of a sense of "spirituality" gravitate towards Sufism, but those who most desire the discipline and sense of purpose go the Salafi route or something similar to it. I'd imagine most male converts end up in one of those categories.

Lol, could you imagine The Tailor going Salafi?

"We were married by a Reform rabbi in Long Island. A very Reform rabbi. A Nazi."-- Woody Allen
     Reply #20 - June 20, 2010, 04:57 PM

Hi DigDug, interesting story! Are you in contact with your family? If so how did they feel about your conversion?

Yea I have very little family in the country the rest are overseas. But when I became Muslim my family was happy even though they hated Islam because I was still alot better off being a Muslim than what I was doing before.

I'm an asshat.
     Reply #21 - June 20, 2010, 05:12 PM

How are you doing now? What are your current beliefs? Smiley
     Reply #22 - June 20, 2010, 05:22 PM

Here are some old threads which are relevant:

Salafi Burnout

How Many Muslims Does it Take to Change A Light Bulb?

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #23 - June 20, 2010, 05:23 PM

Good intro.

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #24 - June 20, 2010, 05:25 PM

How are you doing now? What are your current beliefs? Smiley

My life is in the rebuilding phase you could say, it's kinda boring and lonely but I guess thats understandable and it should change soon.

I always believed in God but I defintely don't follow any religion though. I guess you could say I try and follow the "golden rule"

I'm an asshat.
     Reply #25 - June 20, 2010, 05:30 PM

My life is in the rebuilding phase you could say, it's kinda boring and lonely but I guess thats understandable and it should change soon.

I always believed in God but I defintely don't follow any religion though. I guess you could say I try and follow the "golden rule"

That's cool man. Remember we decide who we are and how we want to treat others. Morals come from humans and not from God. Religions can make the immoral moral; slavery for example.

//moral lesson over (next time there will be homework, better be prepared for that shit)
     Reply #26 - June 20, 2010, 05:37 PM

Interesting story, DigDug.

I'm half-tempted to convert for a while just to see what life's like as a puritanical Muslim. Must be interesting, if rather austere.
     Reply #27 - June 20, 2010, 05:38 PM

I think a lot depends upon who gets to you first. If your initial exposure to Islam is through a salafi group, then it is really hard to break away. From very early on you are told that this is the only true path. It is almost like an exclusive visa to jannah. If you follow the salafi path, your visa is guaranteed. If you follow any other path/fiqh, then it is a biddah - and all biddah leads to hellfire. It generally takes a lot of experience for most to even consider other thoughts.
     Reply #28 - June 20, 2010, 05:52 PM

Hy i just read your story, i think it is sad that they use people's problems to make them convert into their doctrine, by that i mean most of young people who convert to islam are young people who where in the same situation as you, so they tell them "convert to islam life will be better" and that's right in the beginning, but after a while all your freedom is taken away from you and you finish brainwashed. you know you are not obligated to be muslim to have a pure way of life, take for example the bouddhists they're not muslim but are very saint people, and also there plenty of atheist and agnostic people who are having a good way of life. Man it is good you leaved the 7th century and welcome back the 21th century, hope you best wishes for your gym lessons and hope you become a good personal trainer.
    btw i'am asking myself why european people who feel lost convert to islam, i think boudhist is most appropriate to a saint lifestyle and they views are more compatible with the modern world, myself if i was in that situation and could made the choice i would convert to bouddhism without esitate, but anyway i'am not really looking to that.

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. "
    "We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. "
    --Buddha
     Reply #29 - June 20, 2010, 06:08 PM

I think a lot depends upon who gets to you first. If your initial exposure to Islam is through a salafi group, then it is really hard to break away. From very early on you are told that this is the only true path. It is almost like an exclusive visa to jannah. If you follow the salafi path, your visa is guaranteed. If you follow any other path/fiqh, then it is a biddah - and all biddah leads to hellfire. It generally takes a lot of experience for most to even consider other thoughts.

This is true. Although personally I don't think I would have stuck around if I fell into the whole Hamza Yusuf sufi thing initially.

Interesting story, DigDug.

I'm half-tempted to convert for a while just to see what life's like as a puritanical Muslim. Must be interesting, if rather austere.

haha do it. It can be like an undercover thing. It's really fun you get to act all arrogant and brand 95% of Muslims to be "innovaters" including other salafis
    That's cool man. Remember we decide who we are and how we want to treat others. Morals come from humans and not from God. Religions can make the immoral moral; slavery for example.

//moral lesson over (next time there will be homework, better be prepared for that shit)

haha alright

Hy i just read your story, i think it is sad that they use people's problems to make them convert into their doctrine, by that i mean most of young people who convert to islam are young people who where in the same situation as you, so they tell them "convert to islam life will be better" and that's right in the beginning, but after a while all your freedom is taken away from you and you finish brainwashed. you know you are not obligated to be muslim to have a pure way of life, take for example the bouddhists they're not muslim but are very saint people, and also there plenty of atheist and agnostic people who are having a good way of life. Man it is good you leaved the 7th century and welcome back the 21th century, hope you best wishes for your gym lessons and hope you become a good personal trainer.
    btw i'am asking myself why european people who feel lost convert to islam, i think boudhist is most appropriate to a saint lifestyle and they views are more compatible with the modern world, myself if i was in that situation and could made the choice i would convert to bouddhism without esitate, but anyway i'am not really looking to that.

Thanks for the good wishes.

To be fair though I only read about Islam through the internet and I went to the masjid out of my own free will I don't feel like anyone made me convert. I do feel that I was lied to by the Muslims who put info online.

One thing about salafi dawah is they are true to themselves and the religion . They will clearly state the Islamic opinion ect...

But I think everyone else is a liar and a spin doctor (i.e zakir naik, hamza yusuf ect..) and they don't present a fair and honest version of Islam to the people.

I'm an asshat.
  • 12 3 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »