Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Is Iran/Persia going to b...
by zeca
Yesterday at 11:23 AM

Best Quran translation ev...
May 19, 2024, 02:20 PM

Gaza assault
May 18, 2024, 03:37 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
May 18, 2024, 03:04 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 17, 2024, 08:33 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 17, 2024, 06:13 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 16, 2024, 02:05 PM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Salafi Burnout

(Read 12769 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Salafi Burnout
     OP - February 17, 2009, 12:25 PM

Here's a blog that some of you may find interesting

http://salafiburnout.wordpress.com/

• Re: Salafi Burnout
     Reply #1 - February 17, 2009, 06:13 PM

Here's a blog that some of you may find interesting

http://salafiburnout.wordpress.com/

I believe my friend Abdul Hakim was the first to use that phrase some years ago.

Most Salafis will inevitably burnout - unless they are hopeless cases.
     Reply #2 - February 17, 2009, 06:15 PM

I was told about an Egyptian Salafi he knew who was involved in the riots in Assuit where some Salafis took over a police station and fought with Copts.

He met him some years later - beard shaved - western clothes - European girl on his arm - sheepishly saying he was planning to go and live in Europe with his girlfriend.
     Reply #3 - February 17, 2009, 06:31 PM

Actually this post on his blog is the most interesting.

Life after

http://salafiburnout.wordpress.com/2008/06/05/life-after-being-in-the-salafi-cult/
     Reply #4 - February 19, 2009, 07:50 PM

I think he's more bitter than objective. "Salafi cult", get over it. All religions are "cults", it's very hard for social scientists to distinguish cults from religions except that cults are considered harmful to it's adherents. Tongue

Salafiyyah is a cult just like any orthodoxy. Tongue

I'm an "ex-salafi", bite me.

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #5 - February 20, 2009, 08:01 AM

Most Salafis will inevitably burnout - unless they are hopeless cases.

I think the Salafi side of Islam will eventually completely burn out or become radically different from what it is today. Infact, much of Islamic extremism and terrorism are desperate attempts to retain this aspect of the faith. Stoning, amputations,triple talaq and gender apartheid have as little place in today's world as racial apartheid, and barring some unthinkable catastrophe, the eventual complete abolition of these is almost an inevitability. 

In more and more nations, even Islamic ones, the laws aren't the laws of Islam and things allowed by Islam are prohibited by secular laws, there's American movies, and T.V. shows, Western clothes worn by youngsters and even Japanese anime and Hindi movies in Pakistan, all challenging the traditional culture, and barring a rare Yvonne Ridley, there are  few takers for the comprehensive Islamic way of life.

Salafi extremism, the attempt to mark oneself from others by way of dress, terrorism are all  protests against this inevitable destruction of their culture and way of life.

The Salafis of the future will either be non existent, or else a tiny minority like the Orthodox Jews, devout in their daily life but having completely given up Shariah laws,and the rest of Muslims and Muslim nations will be indistinguishable from others.  whistling2

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #6 - February 20, 2009, 11:27 AM

Quote from: Rashna
    Salafi extremism, the attempt to mark oneself from others by way of dress, terrorism are all  protests against this inevitable destruction of their culture and way of life.

Very intelligent analysis, Rashna.  Afro

Islam: where idiots meet terrorists.
     Reply #7 - February 20, 2009, 11:31 AM

true, i never thought of it in that way

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #8 - February 20, 2009, 12:20 PM

Quote from: Rashna

Very intelligent analysis, Rashna.  Afro

Seconded - you are one extremely astute young lady!
     Reply #9 - December 07, 2010, 01:01 PM

Salafi Islam will probably be the last to die out if Islam ever dies out.

In Salafi Islam, Allah takes on a personna of an anthropomorphic Father deity to whom young and restless men get inspired by to be brave and strong. A God, to whom you cast your personal desires and faults aside for. Diminishing your own ego as much as possible. Calling upon Him in every activity to purify yourself. Drawing upon the wisdom of religion over others. Abolish or restrict all activities that are deemed impermissable and observing all things religious with a great zeal and effort. Practicing spirituality with dedication and seriousness.
     Reply #10 - December 07, 2010, 01:24 PM

+1 It represents an abandonment of modern values, so those reactionaries who are disillusioned with mainstream society will find a fitting place for their activism

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #11 - December 07, 2010, 01:41 PM

Rashna: Salafi extremism, the attempt to mark oneself from others by way of dress, terrorism are all  protests against this inevitable destruction of their culture and way of life.

Zaephon:  Very intelligent analysis, Rashna.  Afro

Hassan: Seconded - you are one extremely astute young lady!

But who is intelligent  ?  Rashna? Zaephon? Hassan?  or this Salafi??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okXxfT3_8f4

Indeed you guys are right., CLEAN SHAVE THE RASCALS and change their dress code, lock them up in a room with wall to wall mirrors and give them some Prozac in their food  until they come to their senses..  These rascals they don't think about their culture as their heads under the Arabian sand..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #12 - December 07, 2010, 01:53 PM

lol, he's wearing a shitty hat with a towel that looks like loin cloth wrapped around it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHQPncr3v_I&feature=related
     Reply #13 - December 07, 2010, 02:01 PM

"Cover up, you're making my stubby, sticky!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtHGHc6MpJ8&feature=related
     Reply #14 - December 07, 2010, 04:31 PM

Salafi Islam will probably be the last to die out if Islam ever dies out.

I'm not sure about this.  It is certainly true that in the last 40~odd years they have enjoyed much growth, but that may be because they tend to attract the reactionary types and the Muslims have had a lot to be angry about in the Middle East (particularly).
    I'm not sure people can sustain the level of religiosity and devotion that salafism demands, particularly once they have doubts about the pillaring assumption of the whole religion -- which is that Islam is the One True Religion and that the Abrahamic God exists.  In fact, the title of this thread is "Salafi Burnout" to imply this unsustainability.

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #15 - December 07, 2010, 06:11 PM

lol, he's wearing a shitty hat with a towel that looks like loin cloth wrapped around it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHQPncr3v_I&feature=related

I've been told this story countless times by mullahs.

Usually it was in Urdu.

In English, you can appreciate how much of a joke show it really is.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #16 - December 08, 2010, 05:47 PM

lol at Sheikh Feiz Muhammad. He comes across as an angry and bitter person, watch his videos on how not to imitate the kuffar. Seriously, Wahabbis and "Hizbi's" are all a bunch of fucking losers, and quite frankly, are a joke.

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #17 - December 08, 2010, 05:53 PM

There's no such thing as Salafism, as Muslims will claim Sunni's are Salafi's, as they follow the Salaf. It's mainly Wahabism.

They're the main group trying to revive Islam, but it's a dead ender.

Just a pity to see such men (and women) undergo this.
     Reply #18 - December 08, 2010, 05:56 PM

What do you mean by dead ender?

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #19 - December 08, 2010, 05:58 PM

There's no point. Islam won't revive itself imo, there's too much disunity and too many different opinions. Trust me  Wink
     Reply #20 - December 08, 2010, 06:02 PM

I'm not sure about this.  It is certainly true that in the last 40~odd years they have enjoyed much growth, but that may be because they tend to attract the reactionary types and the Muslims have had a lot to be angry about in the Middle East (particularly).
    I'm not sure people can sustain the level of religiosity and devotion that salafism demands, particularly once they have doubts about the pillaring assumption of the whole religion -- which is that Islam is the One True Religion and that the Abrahamic God exists.  In fact, the title of this thread is "Salafi Burnout" to imply this unsustainability.

Nah, like I said earlier I agree with LM, I think Salafi Islam will be the last part of Islam to die out.

Kinda reminds me of the sharks, the oldest mammal on earth, which so happens to be the most fearsome too.  

And its not a coincidence, being the oldest one means its the greatest survivor.  In the natural world's pyramid there is always something at the top, even when food supply was short in a changing environment, they just bred to become even stonger because they began to fight & eat each other.

In other words, the last Islam we will be left with will be the most brutal of all.   Given the recent spate of suicide bombings, & the timeline of history, perhaps we're almost there already.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #21 - December 08, 2010, 06:03 PM

Ohhhhh. Makes sense. Personally, I think Islam was in its prime during their golden age, I don't think the Muslim world will ever be like that again IMO, unless the Muslim world becomes very secular. If the Muslim world is all Wahabi, they will never, NEVER, be successful. Wahhabi Islam would pretty much block them from progress.

~RIBS
     Reply #22 - December 08, 2010, 06:05 PM

Nah, like I said earlier I agree with LM, I think Salafi Islam will be the last part of Islam to die out.

Kinda reminds me of the sharks, the oldest mammal on earth, which so happens to be the most fearsome too.  

And its not a coincidence, being the oldest one means its the greatest survivor.  In the natural world's pyramid there is always something at the top, even when food supply was short in a changing environment, they just bred to become even stonger because they began to fight & eat each other.

In other words, the last Islam we will be left with will be the most brutal of all.   Given the recent spate of suicide bombings, & the timeline of history, perhaps we're almost there already.

I personally think it will be some sort of war between the secular muslims and the salafis. But the salafis will lose. They can't keep holding on to the past forever.

~RIBS
     Reply #23 - December 08, 2010, 06:07 PM

will never, NEVER, be successful. Wahhabi Islam would pretty much block them from progress.

yep, progress is the almost the opposite of bidaa/innovation.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #24 - December 08, 2010, 06:08 PM

I don't think Muslims will have a civil war or something like that with Salafism.

Traditional Sunni Islam will always remain strong within Islam communities, and will continue to do so until Islam slowly fades out.

When that happens, I have no idea.
     Reply #25 - December 08, 2010, 06:09 PM

yep, progress is the almost the opposite of bidaa/innovation.

You don't understand how much it bugs me to hear that if the Muslim world got rid of bidah and shirk and started to practice, the Muslim world will florish and become developed. Sorry, that won't happen. Praying more and avoiding shirk will not turn the Muslim world into a progressive 1st world country.

~RIBS
     Reply #26 - December 08, 2010, 06:15 PM

You don't understand how much it bugs me to hear that if the Muslim world got rid of bidah and shirk and started to practice, the Muslim world will florish and become developed. Sorry, that won't happen. Praying more and avoiding shirk will not turn the Muslim world into a progressive 1st world country.

but they have to believe that, its in the Quran.  If they dont, Islam is over for them.  Thats why they keep harping on about the Golden Age as an attempt to prove it, they have no other choice.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #27 - December 08, 2010, 06:40 PM

We can help ease the 'Islam is over for them' process, if they choose it though, and more and more will.

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #28 - December 08, 2010, 08:03 PM

Interesting.  I wasn't saying that Salafism will definitely not outlast other sects (or definitely will).  I was merely saying that one cannot say for sure either way.  I think it depends on the conditions at the time and the adaptability of the sect.  Salafism certainly are more aggressive and assertive, but that is not always the best strategy for survival.  Leopards are much more adaptable than lions, so have conquered much of the planet (albeit in smaller numbers) despite being much less fearless than lions.  Leopards are more tactical.
    Another analogy is the fact that insects or rats are very successful creatures on this planet, whereas the big strong dinosaurs died out long ago.  Anyway these are just my funny thoughts.. grin12 parrot

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so." -- Bertrand Russell

Baloney Detection Kit
     Reply #29 - December 08, 2010, 08:06 PM

Another analogy is the fact that insects or rats are very successful creatures on this planet, whereas the big strong dinosaurs died out long ago.  Anyway these are just my funny thoughts.. grin12 parrot

So would you say the same analogy holds true for countries with big populations. like India?

And dont u get suspicious
    Im DIG dangerous, u just a little vicious
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »