Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Poll

• Question: Should there be a law against parents making their 5 year old daughters wear hijab?  (Voting closed: April 27, 2010, 09:09 PM)
  • Yes - 19 (82.6%)
  • No - 4 (17.4%)
  • Total Voters: 23

Topic: Should there be a law against parents making their 5 year olds wear hijab?

(Read 16770 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Should there be a law against parents making their 5 year olds wear hijab?
     Reply #30 - April 23, 2010, 10:40 AM

I voted no.

I don't see it as religious indoctrination. Yes, it may go some way in encouraging the child to live an Islamic life, but the only way to really prevent that is to take that child out of that family, and that's just going too far.

But anyway, the state shouldn't have a say as to what your religious beliefs should be and should not dictate to families what religious beliefs they should or shouldn't encourage their children to have, in the first place.

The unlived life is not worth examining.
  • Re: Should there be a law against parents making their 5 year olds wear hijab?
     Reply #31 - April 23, 2010, 02:53 PM

To those in favour of a ban: if it were implemented, how should we punish parents who are caught?
     Reply #32 - April 23, 2010, 04:15 PM

Give the father & mother them a 1 year sentence of wearing the full niqab

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #33 - April 24, 2010, 02:37 PM

That would be less fair on those parents who were convicted during the summer.

Reply #34 - April 25, 2010, 08:21 PM

I think that having young girls wear niqab and jilbab should definitely be banned, however the khimar is OK as it's not as extreme as the others, and doesn't promote the idea of young girls being awrah and isn't a educational/social barrier.  I think also that if we go as far banning the hijab, those same parents will put extra pressure on their girls.

'The greatest glory of living lies not in never falling but in rising everytime you fall'
     Reply #35 - April 25, 2010, 08:24 PM

Yeah, they might stop their daughters from going outside alltogether. On second thoughts, they WILL for sure.

Reply #36 - April 25, 2010, 08:33 PM

It's to the point in some cases (mine) that you're even made to feel uncomfortable around your brothers and dad....that's what it's like when you're young you don't know why, and then you're made to feel somehow you have to wear loose clothing etc. Mum would say things like 'what are you wearing, around your father and brothers too...' and give me that dirty look as if there's something wrong with me. If I wore trousers that were 'tight' quotes because they weren't tight, they were just trousers, but i managed to overcome her attempts to keep me wearing traditional clothes (or baggy and crappy western clothes) but I still feel somewhat uncomfortable (automatically) around my dad and older brother.

This is so common in Bengali families and it is very disgusting.  Like you, I also feel uncomfortable around my father/brother if I don't cover up, its very sad.  It even goes to the extent where I never actually hugged my brothers because we shouldn't be touching, I think I only hugged them on my wedding day.

'The greatest glory of living lies not in never falling but in rising everytime you fall'
     Reply #37 - April 25, 2010, 11:38 PM

This is so common in Bengali families and it is very disgusting.  Like you, I also feel uncomfortable around my father/brother if I don't cover up, its very sad.  It even goes to the extent where I never actually hugged my brothers because we shouldn't be touching, I think I only hugged them on my wedding day.

mysmilie_977 wacko finmad
     Reply #38 - April 26, 2010, 01:05 AM

That's just awful, Pariah!  I briefly went through a phase when I first started getting serious about the hijab where I felt uncomfortable around my stepdad, who had known me since I was little.  It took my Pakistani Muslim friend telling me that since he is my family I could still touch and hug him.   wacko

Upon recollection, I never once saw any physical sign of affection between my father-in-law or any of his children, let alone myself.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #39 - April 26, 2010, 01:10 AM

I think it should be illegal for parents to make children under the age of 13 wear the niqab. I think one should be atleast 16 or 18 in order to wear niqab.

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #40 - April 26, 2010, 01:18 AM

Religious laws are already fucked up anyway. 5 year-olds are clueless about religion, let alone understanding what wearing a hijab is all about. I have two sisters who are wearing the hijab now, and both of them didn't start 'til 13, which is too young, but a lot let worse than making a 5 year old wear one.

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
    In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why
    Can't it be, can't it be mine

https://twitter.com/AlharbiMoe
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »