Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Poll

• Question: Are there superior beings?
  • Yes. - 0 (0%)
  • No. - 5 (38.5%)
  • Maybe. - 8 (61.5%)
  • Total Voters: 13

Topic: Now that you're an atheist...

(Read 5591 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Now that you're an atheist...
     OP - April 20, 2010, 12:16 AM

Whaddoya think like?  Smiley

"...every imperfection in man is a bond with heaven..." - Karl Marx
  • Re: Now that you're an atheist...
     Reply #1 - April 20, 2010, 12:17 AM

Define "superior beings".

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #2 - April 20, 2010, 12:18 AM

No.

Reply #3 - April 20, 2010, 12:19 AM

Roll Eyes

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #4 - April 20, 2010, 12:23 AM

You answer: that's it.

Reply #5 - April 20, 2010, 12:24 AM

I find this poll offensively bourgeois and imperialistic.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #6 - April 20, 2010, 12:25 AM

Why's that?

Reply #7 - April 20, 2010, 12:27 AM

Grin

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #8 - April 20, 2010, 12:28 AM

Vague and ambivalent questions without a clear articulation of the questioner's intent... Good luck with that.

And no, I don't believe in things like "superiority" or "inferiority" as measures of the intrinsic value of beings. Such hierarchies are social constructs that may have had evolutionary reasons, but they are not hard-coded into anyone and are subject to change as societies change.

Reply #9 - April 20, 2010, 12:30 AM

Then what do you believe 'measures' the 'intrinsic value' of beings?

Nothing. There's no intrinsic value; that itself is a human, social construct.

There's no intrinsic value to human life? You nihilist.

And: what kind of 'construct' is it (that you and your like talk of)? From where did it originate?

[Why are you editing my messages?]

The only value/measure of anyone can be gauged through their actions,

By who?

specifically how their actions impact others, and themselves.

And who should judge this? A being with no intrinsic value?

Reply #10 - April 20, 2010, 12:34 AM

I don't believe in God....well hell I don't need to be rational or intelligent to do this. So now that I'm an atheist...thats where it ends. Just like now that I'm a non-bottle cap collector...I've stopped collecting bottle caps.Smiley End of story. Anything after it is irrelevant to my atheism because atheism is not a belief system.

Edit: This is assuming by superior beings you mean God (s) and not some advanced aliens. Tongue

"If intelligence is feminine... I would want that mine would, in a resolute movement, come to resemble an impious woman."
     Reply #11 - April 20, 2010, 12:35 AM

Then what do you believe 'measures' the 'intrinsic value' of beings?

The only value/measure of anyone can be gauged through their actions, specifically how their actions impact others, and themselves.

E.g. case in point, my mistake up above was a stupid action on my part. I can make mistakes. I am not superior or inferior to anyone else. (Please feel free to edit your post, if you'd like, panoptic.)

Reply #12 - April 20, 2010, 12:42 AM

And: what kind of 'construct' is it (that you and your like talk of)? From where did it originate?

The only value/measure of anyone can be gauged through their actions,

By who?

specifically how their actions impact others, and themselves.

And who should judge this? A being with no intrinsic value?

Reply #13 - April 20, 2010, 12:43 AM

Check my post above...  Roll Eyes

Nihilistic? LOL. No it's called Existentialism, Consequentialism... it's the opposite of Nihilism. Nihilism expects fantastical reality and finds none. What I'm talking about is not Nihilism.

Who should judge? Well it's up to individuals and up to societies. Societies and individuals don't like murderers... who judges them? Society, law, the political structures that are around us. Individually, we judge who we want in our lives and who we don't. These judgements are also subject to change.

Reply #14 - April 20, 2010, 12:45 AM

First of all you said "beings"... you didn't say human beings. You do know there are beings other than human beings, right? As for nihilism, a nihilist is someone who doesn't believe there can be value in anything. There's a difference between that and saying value is determined by factors other than "intrinsic-ness".

Reply #15 - April 20, 2010, 12:46 AM

No it's called Existentialism

Existentialism doesn't deny all value of human life. Quite the opposite.

Who should judge? Well it's up to individuals and up to societies.

It's up to MAN. That's right.

Reply #16 - April 20, 2010, 12:48 AM

First of all you said "beings"... you didn't say human beings. You do know there are beings other than human beings, right?

Which ones have 'intrinsic value'?

Reply #17 - April 20, 2010, 12:48 AM

Existentialism doesn't deny all value of human life. Quite the opposite.

It does absolutely deny any intrinsic value. It says our choices determine who we are and our value. Choices ... actions... not anything intrinsic, but what we *do*.

It's up to MAN. That's right.

Didn't say those words exactly but feel free to not pay attention to what's being said and imagine whatever you'd like.

Reply #18 - April 20, 2010, 12:49 AM

Which ones have 'intrinsic value'?

This is what I'm saying... there's no such thing as intrinsic value. The universe is not waiting for our judgement on it... do you understand that??

Reply #19 - April 20, 2010, 12:51 AM

It does absolutely deny any intrinsic value. It says our choices determine who we are and our value. Choices ... actions... not anything intrinsic, but what we *do*.

Now... intrinsic value... where does that idea come from?

It doesn't deny 'value' (or, rather: intrinsic meaning). Only nihilism does that.

Didn't say those words exactly but feel free to not pay attention to what's being said and imagine whatever you'd like.

No, you didn't.

And no I won't. Unlike the theists and liberals and nihilists etc...

Reply #20 - April 20, 2010, 12:54 AM

Now... intrinsic value... where does that idea come from?

You tell us. You started this convo with a discussion of superiority and then balked at the idea of explaining your thought process. Smiley

It doesn't deny 'value' _or, rather: intrinsic meaning). Only nihilism does that.

Yes the world is very very simple. Either a person believes in what panoptic believes, or he/she is a nihilist.

Reply #21 - April 20, 2010, 12:55 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED4VL7W6VdQ

Reply #22 - April 20, 2010, 12:59 AM

You tell us.

Capitalism.

Extrapolating exchange values to human life.

Yes the world is very very simple.

Do you think so?

Human life, wordly life, has inherent meaning - anything else is nihilism.

Reply #23 - April 20, 2010, 01:02 AM

Capitalism.

Extrapolating exchange values to human life.

Monetary value is not the only measure of value, or is that what you think?

Human life, wordly life, has inherent meaning - anything else is nihilism.

Well the meaning is that we're here, so is everything, including non human animals, plants, rocks... what other meaning is there that's applicable to all, and can you prove it?

Reply #24 - April 20, 2010, 01:06 AM

Monetary value is not the only measure of value, or is that what you think?

Yes, that is it. Value is a purely economic category, yet it is made to contaminate human qualities and potentialities.

Well the meaning is that we're here, so is everything, including non human animals, plants, rocks... what other meaning is there that's applicable to all, and can you prove it?

The only meaning is applicable to us.

Man is the 'being for' man [as Marx said]!

Reply #25 - April 20, 2010, 01:14 AM

Yes, that is it. Value is a purely economic category, yet it is made to contaminate human qualities and potentialities.

Oh right, I forgot... everything in existence boils down to just reductionist economics for both demagogical capitalists and communists. Roll Eyes

Going by that, disabled people, those who can't/won't reproduce, children etc. are all valueless, right?

The only meaning is applicable to us.

Man is the 'being for' man [as Marx said]!

Thanks for proving my point: "meaning" "value" etc. are man-made social constructs.

Reply #26 - April 20, 2010, 01:19 AM

You call me a demagogical communist for the very reason that: I oppose the extrapolation of exchange values to human life.... but you don't!

They are man-made. Except 'value' is anti-human... and meaning isn't.

Reply #27 - April 20, 2010, 01:33 AM

Ok, semantic pedantry aside, what do you think is the difference between "Value" and "Meaning" in this context? Here's what the dictionary says about "Value"

val·ue
       /ˈvælyu/
    –noun
    1.relative worth, merit, or importance: the value of a college education; the value of a queen in chess.
    2.monetary or material worth, as in commerce or trade: This piece of land has greatly increased in value.
    3.the worth of something in terms of the amount of other things for which it can be exchanged or in terms of some medium of exchange.
    4.equivalent worth or return in money, material, services, etc.: to give value for value received.
    5.estimated or assigned worth; valuation: a painting with a current value of $500,000.
    6.denomination, as of a monetary issue or a postage stamp.
    7.Mathematics.
    a.magnitude; quantity; number represented by a figure, symbol, or the like: the value of an angle; the value of x; the value of a sum.
    b.a point in the range of a function; a point in the range corresponding to a given point in the domain of a function: The value of x2 at 2 is 4.
    8.import or meaning; force; significance: the value of a word.
    9.liking or affection; favorable regard.
    10.values, Sociology. the ideals, customs, institutions, etc., of a society toward which the people of the group have an affective regard. These values may be positive, as cleanliness, freedom, or education, or negative, as cruelty, crime, or blasphemy.
    11.Ethics. any object or quality desirable as a means or as an end in itself.
    12.Fine Arts.
    a.degree of lightness or darkness in a color.
    b.the relation of light and shade in a painting, drawing, or the like.
    13.Music. the relative length or duration of a tone signified by a note.
    14.values, Mining. the marketable portions of an orebody.
    15.Phonetics.
    a.quality.
    b.the phonetic equivalent of a letter, as the sound of a in hat, sang, etc.

The only definition you are willing to notice is the monetary value. There are other measures of value besides as applied in economics. That was my point... value as in any kind of value is determined by actions. "Meaning" is similarly a subjective term, signifying more of a personal, reflexive viewpoint rather than a social/structural viewpoint.

Reply #28 - April 20, 2010, 02:55 AM

All meaning is entirely social. What else?

Value is derived from exchange value historically. So what you say is not so much not the point. It is, in fact, the point itself.

To put 'value' on people owes more to slavery than to equality; for their living to be meaningful and for one to have belief in that is another matter.

Reply #29 - April 20, 2010, 04:44 AM

*cocky Italian voice* Superior beings??? Superior beings??? You're talking to 'em buddy!

Also monetary evaulation only approximates a person's "psychic value" that he or she places on an object, experience, etc. That value exists independent of monetary evaulation, of which requires certain characteristics to be able to be visible.  The issue is that exchange value is the only way that human beings have to approximate such value.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »