Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
Today at 07:16 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 07:55 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
Yesterday at 04:01 AM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 04, 2024, 07:58 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 30, 2024, 06:51 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world

(Read 5940 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world
     OP - April 14, 2010, 04:44 AM

A couple of muslims I've talked to told me this. I've also read it some places on the internet. They claim 100,000 people convert (revert) to Islam every year. Is there any truth in this?  Huh?

Anything that happens happens, anything that in happening causes something else to happen causes something else to happen, and anything that in happening causes itself to happen again, happens again. Although not necessarily in chronological order.

Douglas Adams
  • Re: Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world
     Reply #1 - April 14, 2010, 04:52 AM

They've been saying this for at least 20 years. Do 100,000 convert each year? Who knows! But such claims for a religion always deserve to be taken with dose of salt, as it's invariably what those looking for converts say.

"...every imperfection in man is a bond with heaven..." - Karl Marx
     Reply #2 - April 14, 2010, 04:53 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWekSVdTgUI

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #3 - April 14, 2010, 04:57 AM

Also, as Maryam Namazie says and users forget here, the figure(s) typically given for the number of muslims is, essentially, an act of labelling.

Reply #4 - April 14, 2010, 05:09 AM

I like to ask as a counter point; how many of them are practicing Muslims? how many of then stay Muslim after three years (I then point them to the video about the 75% spit out rate after 3 years)? would they consider the beer drinking, bacon chomping Muslims of the Balkans as Muslims even though all outside behaviour indicates it is nothing more than a cultural backdrop rather than religious conviction.

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali
     Reply #5 - April 14, 2010, 05:19 AM

You read about how more and more people are converting to Islam, but that is just not true. I saw a video clip once like the one osmanthus posted where they talked about how many converts to Islam deconvert after a few years. Of course when they deconvert you never hear of it.

This is an interesting video from Al Jazeera. Talks about the very rapid growth of Christianity in Africa.
    I think this means Christianity is the fastest growing religion when you only consider adult conversions.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdVnILalpeo

Bukhari 62:142 - Narrated Anas bin Malik:
       The Prophet used to pass by (have sexual relation with) all his wives in one night, and at that time he had nine wives.
     Reply #6 - April 14, 2010, 05:53 AM

Thank you so much for your answers!  Smiley  Great and interesting videos!

thnkyu

Anything that happens happens, anything that in happening causes something else to happen causes something else to happen, and anything that in happening causes itself to happen again, happens again. Although not necessarily in chronological order.

Douglas Adams
     Reply #7 - April 14, 2010, 06:31 AM

But, insh'Carl Sagan, Godlessness will prevail in the end and we will all become heathen atheists. That's what I hope.  dance

Bukhari 62:142 - Narrated Anas bin Malik:
       The Prophet used to pass by (have sexual relation with) all his wives in one night, and at that time he had nine wives.
     Reply #8 - April 14, 2010, 07:25 AM

Islam is all about the numbers game, Muslims are insecure and can only think of the world in terms of 'them' and 'us'

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #9 - April 14, 2010, 07:44 AM

Islam is all about the numbers game, Muslims are insecure and can only think of the world in terms of 'them' and 'us'

'Only'? Ever? Every single one of them?? etc..

Reply #10 - April 14, 2010, 07:50 AM

Only? Ever? Every single one of them?? etc..

panoptic, given the generalisations you make about whole societies, peoples, forms of politics, you're the last person to be seeking qualifications when it comes to statements about Islam. You'd be best off asking for these qualifications to be made by the idiots who happen to be Muslim and for the purposes of dawah bleat these cliches about fastest growing religions and twenty million converts a minute, all kuffar cultures and societies are corrupt and depraved and have to be rescued by Islam and so on.

And yes, intrinsically, at its heart, Islam is a manichean belief system that breaks humanity into 'them' and 'us' and this leads to a worldview and attitude along these lines. Of course there are nominal Muslims whose general innate feeling of humanity over rides this mentality, in the same way that not every Muslim is a raging misogynist despite what Islam teaches about women, and not every Muslim has violent urges despite what Islam teaches about dealing with dissent and criticism of Islam. This does not alter the observable recurrence of this stupid mentality fostered by Islam itself - the numbers game, them and us.

God is Love.

Reply #11 - April 14, 2010, 08:02 AM

panoptic, given the generalisations you make about whole societies, peoples, forms of politics, you're the last person to be seeking qualifications when it comes to statements about Islam.

I am very careful when making generalizations. I certainly haven't made generalizations about entire people - no. I have never once said: "all x [people] are y".

And yes, intrinsically, at its heart, Islam is a manichean belief system that breaks humanity into 'them' and 'us' and this leads to a worldview and attitude along these lines.

Manichean - dualistic - it is. Inherently 'them' and 'us'? There is plenty of that - more of that than there ever used to be. But it has countervailing tendencies as well. It is a contested thing.

Reply #12 - April 14, 2010, 08:07 AM

I am very careful when making generalizations.

Except when you disagree with an article written by someone in a newspaper, or bleat about imperialistic societies and all that jazz.

Manichean - dualistic - it is. Inherently 'them' and 'us'? There is plenty of that - more of that than there ever used to be.

Exactly. Thank you.

God is Love.

Reply #13 - April 14, 2010, 08:13 AM

Except when you disagree with an article written by someone in a newspaper, or bleat about imperialistic societies and all that jazz.

Like Minnette Marrin and the Daily Mail and The Times that shite yeah. A world away from "muslims are..." "Africans are..." stuff like that.

Exactly. Thank you.

Religious dualism isn't inherently 'bad', though, not that it isn't most of the time. But not quite fixed essences these things are.

Reply #14 - April 14, 2010, 08:16 AM

I don't believe I've used the world 'imperialistic' either, being very precise about what imperialism is!  Tongue

Reply #15 - April 14, 2010, 08:18 AM

Religious dualism isn't inherently 'bad', though, not that it isn't most of the time. But not quite fixed essences these things are.

Its OK panoptic, you don't have to feel ashamed because I'm right about things and you concede that I am.

God is Love.

Reply #16 - April 14, 2010, 08:20 AM

Concession? Oh how silly.

Reply #17 - April 14, 2010, 08:22 AM

Nah not funny, just true.

Anyway.......

God is Love.

Reply #18 - April 14, 2010, 08:28 AM

Yes - must go, and leave all this hyperreality  Tongue

Reply #19 - April 14, 2010, 08:48 AM

It's an appeal to popularity when they try to prove their 'religion' is right; first they talk about how logical it is, then they talk about a list of nobodies who are apparently 'very smart' that admire the Qur'an (but funny enough, never enough to convert), then the final step they'll do a call to popularity in the same vein of, "well, if it is a hoax then how come all these people are converted? obviously it must be right because a hoax could never convince these many people".

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali
     Reply #20 - April 14, 2010, 11:37 AM

Re: Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world

And Christianity is the largest religion in the world.

And "The Sun" is the best selling newspaper in the UK.

And more people watch X-Factor than read books.

Etc...
     Reply #21 - April 14, 2010, 11:43 AM

You know, even if the 100,000 was correct: 100,000 a year is nothing. That makes 10 million in 100 years! There's probably around 6 billion  (6000 million) people on the Earth at the moment.

Also: Pastafarianism clearly is the fastest growing religion. It started only a few years ago and already has over a million followers.
     Reply #22 - April 14, 2010, 01:13 PM

And Christianity is the largest religion in the world.

And "The Sun" is the best selling newspaper in the UK.

And more people watch X-Factor than read books.

Etc...

Aren't the first two correct?

Reply #23 - April 14, 2010, 01:18 PM

Every religion claims to be the fastest growing in the world. I don't even know what to believe anymore  wacko

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #24 - April 14, 2010, 01:21 PM

"so what?" was his point

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #25 - April 14, 2010, 01:23 PM

Oh right.

Reply #26 - April 14, 2010, 01:36 PM

They are all correct - but shows the stupidity of people and the stupidity of arguing by numbers.
     Reply #27 - April 14, 2010, 01:39 PM

In any case the growth is not reflective of it being the truth, but of relatively high birth rates

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #28 - April 14, 2010, 02:28 PM

Yes they bread like rabbits and it is following a Hadith. I can't get the exact wording of that Hadith, but it is about Muslims should increase their numbers because Mohzmed will be proud of Muslims numbers on judgment day... Something like that.

Reply #29 - April 15, 2010, 03:58 AM

Do 100,000 convert each year? Who knows!

actually the number is 1,000,000.
    I mean, why the hell not, right?

The foundation of superstition is ignorance, the
    superstructure is faith and the dome is a vain hope. Superstition
    is the child of ignorance and the mother of misery.
    -Robert G. Ingersoll (1898)

"Do time ninjas have this ability?" "Yeah. Only they stay silent and aren't douchebags."  -Ibl
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »