Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: My Story :D

(Read 6582 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • My Story :D
     OP - April 13, 2010, 11:24 PM

Here goes my story i will try and make it short,

When i was 13 like majority of kids i was interested in the stars and astronomy by the age of 15 i was really thrilled about cosmology and decided that i want to be one (did not happen). Anyways i started reading different cosmology books which were very difficult for me to grasp but i read about the history of the geocentric universe, heliocentric and more..

Now the mess starts here i thought to myself that cosmology books were very difficult to understand so if i want to know how the universe is structured the right place to start is the book of the creator of the universe "the quran" and from there i will know what to read later (..... you can stop laughing now).

I read the whole quran marking every verse that talks about the stars, skies, earth, planets or heavens. All what i came up with was the earth is spread with 7 skies layered one above the other between which there is smoke.

The problem was it was not satisfying enough and i thought i must have missed something. I went to a few mosques and started asking some sheikhs and they told me that sky 1 is were all the galaxies are and then there are 6 more, between which there is smoke. But the verse said smoke is between the seven of them. So i thought maybe the quran is referring to the seven known objects in the sky at that time (sun, moon and 5 planets) and the smoke refers to the center of the milky way which leaves no place for other galaxies. When i told that to the sheikhs i was discussing the matter with, one guy told me you start asking questions and doubt starts crawling into your heart, so my response was simple "why did allah give us brians then".. they told me that i am an infidel and asked me to leave the mosque as i am poisoning it (seriously i was 16 who tells a 16 year old kid infidel).

I did feel horrible about myself thinking that i may be away from allah, i did not stop here but out of curiosity wanted to know what the bible had to say about the matter, so i went to a church (orthodox one) and started talking with a priest who gave me a bible told me about the 3 skies (sky 1 earths atmosphere, 2 one that contains stars, galaxies and planets, 3 god with angels around him)

I had a problem with this as it meant that all the galaxies are contained in our galaxy (he was actually talking about the geocentric model) and upon explaining this to the priest he walked me to the door and told the following exactly "Your soul is lost son - may god guide you and answer your questions"

This time i did not feel bad about myself actually but thought what the fuck is wrong with these guys, i could not understand why they thought that asking questions was any bad.

A few weeks later i thought i should go through the bible and the quran i still believed in allah i was thinking those sheikhs were just stupid. In the bible i could not stop laughing at the talking snake and i was telling myself crazy christians they messed up their bible and while laughing out loud i remembered the talking ant in the quran (the one solomon heard)

I started reading the quran again trying to understand it and that was the end of it. It was also the way the preist and the sheikh were so certain each of his faith made me doubt the whole thing as well, how can both be right.

on my 17th birthday (there were a few details in between too but the story is too long already) i thought i will no more worship a god and i was actually thinking that i am the only one who does not - till later on i knew about the word atheism and i thought oh okay that will be me..

A few months later i found at a friends place "A brief history of time" by stephen hawking ofcourse. And just could not stop reading since then.

• Re: My Story :D
     Reply #1 - April 13, 2010, 11:30 PM

you might like this youtube video then..

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheraminTrees#p/u/20/kAIpRRZvnJg

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #2 - April 13, 2010, 11:48 PM

Great read kimo. When I was 16 I was busy with other silly.

So are you part of an atheist social circle?
     Reply #3 - April 14, 2010, 12:13 AM

Wonderful read kimo, thanks  Afro

There must be many other young educated men and women who have had similar experiences - the problem is that they - like you - feel they are alone.

We need to find a way of sending up a beacon to say - "You're not alone - here we are - come and join us!" There is strength in numbers. It is the feeling of isolation that makes many lose the courage to step out of line.

When I used to go to Egypt (70 and 80s) it was a fairly liberal place - and my father used to tell me that in the period he grew up (he was born in 1924) it was extremely liberal. But friends tell me it has become more religious now. Are there any places for Atheists to come together and meet either openly or in secret?
     Reply #4 - April 14, 2010, 12:15 AM

you might like this youtube video then..

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheraminTrees#p/u/20/kAIpRRZvnJg

i subscribed to the guy.. real nice vid
     Reply #5 - April 14, 2010, 12:25 AM

@Iraqi Atheist: The only atheists i meet are online.

@Hassan: Yeah i heard that it was liberal here didn't see it though. The older people here tell me it all changed when they discovered oil in saudi arabia. For atheist meeting places i never met any and unaware of their existence at all. The Internet is actually a good place, but just not enough. Its really frustrating when you can not speak your mind and just be yourself. But in a way you get used to it..
     Reply #6 - April 14, 2010, 12:33 AM

Welcome to the Forum Kimo!!!
    What Nationality are you (if you dont mind me asking)?
    How exactely did you find this site?
    I still cant believe the number of people coming to this site.  I love the internet!!
    Although I dont like my computer very much comp26
    Anyways... signwelcome

"A good man is so hard to find but a hard man is so good to find"
     Reply #7 - April 14, 2010, 12:36 AM

@Iraqi Atheist: The only atheists i meet are online.

@Hassan: Yeah i heard that it was liberal here didn't see it though. The older people here tell me it all changed when they discovered oil in saudi arabia. For atheist meeting places i never met any and unaware of their existence at all. The Internet is actually a good place, but just not enough. Its really frustrating when you can not speak your mind and just be yourself. But in a way you get used to it..

It must be difficult, I know just not being able to express myself at home/around family makes it frustrating for me, and like you say, sort of get used to it, but to not even have other people irl to talk to and be myself around - don't know if I could have handled that, so I salute you for your strength Smiley

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #8 - April 14, 2010, 02:20 AM

Quote from: kimo
    A few weeks later i thought i should go through the bible and the quran i still believed in allah i was thinking those sheikhs were just stupid. In the bible i could not stop laughing at the talking snake and i was telling myself crazy christians they messed up their bible and while laughing out loud i remembered the talking ant in the quran (the one solomon heard)

this was the best part Cheesy

Reply #9 - April 14, 2010, 02:43 AM

Nice story Kimo Afro

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #10 - April 14, 2010, 02:54 AM

Great story kimo. Glad you found us Smiley

I too fell in love with cosmology and astronomy at a very young age and I think that really helped me step out of the isolated viewpoints of religion and question their accuracy. It's an enormous, beautiful universe out there, and Islam and Christianity can't come close to the explaining or articulating the awe that I feel even just staring up at the night sky on a clear night.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #11 - April 14, 2010, 07:41 AM

this was the best part Cheesy

Ah forgot to say how much I enjoyed reading your post. It is exactly how many of us here felt. Actually what pisses me off now is hearing a Muslim saying don't discuss religion so deeply or else you might apostate.... WTF? A very unsecure religion? I get that all the time by the way in every discussion I bring with my Muslim friends.  wacko

Reply #12 - April 14, 2010, 09:28 PM

@Saathiya: I do not mind at all.. i am Egyptian living in Cairo..

@stardust: I think all of us have the ability of adapt, i am planning to immigrate to Canada though..

@CC: Thanks dude..

@allat: Yes its just funny how the creator of the universe fails to properly describe his own creation. I wonder why was it difficult to say something like "And i created the earth and let it swim in its orbit around the sun, and like the sun i created other stars each of which is orbit in its plate and i created many plates, do you know what a plate is. a plate is a collection of many stars like your sun" - Or why can he just not say the earth is round how difficult is that.

@RIBS: The question i always ask myself though is how can these people reach pass all there life not realizing that its meaningless not to question religion.. wierd

Reply #13 - April 15, 2010, 01:08 AM

Great read kimo, I really liked your story.  Afro

Just to make sure, if you haven't watched Cosmos (TV Series) by Carl Sagan, do it. Also his books are brilliant.

"In every time and culture there are pressures to conform to the prevailing prejudices. But there are also, in every place and epoch, those who value the truth; who record the evidence faithfully. Future generations are in their debt." -Carl Sagan

Reply #14 - April 15, 2010, 01:43 AM

Kimo

If you move to Canada. we can get drunk lol party!

Party at my place! dance

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #15 - April 15, 2010, 01:36 PM

Great read kimo, I really liked your story.  Afro

Just to make sure, if you haven't watched Cosmos (TV Series) by Carl Sagan, do it. Also his books are brilliant.

I am reading the dragons of eden nowadays.. and i have seen some of the cosmos series on youtube.... i love the way he talks Smiley
     Reply #16 - April 15, 2010, 01:38 PM

Kimo

Party at my place! dance

Dude, i will get you some egyptian whiskey..  Punk

but you will have to drink all yourself.. MUUUHAHAHAHAHAHA
     Reply #17 - April 15, 2010, 03:37 PM

Kimo

Party at my place! dance

Or you could come visit me in Oregon and we could smoke copious amounts of dope!  grin12

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #18 - May 14, 2010, 03:26 PM

now in egypt we have a lot of atheist.........!! and we have to thanks the wahabbies men! bcz they show the real face of islam! Cheesy
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »