Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Posting YouTube Links with Preview

(Read 11018 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Posting YouTube Links with Preview
     Reply #30 - April 13, 2010, 09:30 PM

Look at the long term trends. It's dropping all the time and will be a minority browser in a few more years. No prizes for guessing why. Wink

Look I am not saying that its not as good as other browsers overrall.  I realise it isnt. I am just saying for now more that half currently use it, and we should work with it even if it is crap.

Currently the image shows but only the sound plays on the youtube video.  And I cant switch the video off by the embedded youtube controls, but have to exist the thread.

Is there a way of IE users having the old functionality back? I preferred seeing the title of the video anyway. 

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #31 - April 13, 2010, 09:35 PM

It'll be a javascript bug. Aziz should be able to fix it. And we do work with the damned thing even if we hate it.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #32 - April 13, 2010, 09:38 PM

Oh and a correction: that 54% is for all versions of IE, not just IE8. It's also global and not specific to this site. Our stats tends to have much lower IE representation, around one third.

Anyway I have IE6 and IE7 installed so I should probably test the new code with them just to give Aziz more nightmares.

Reply #33 - April 13, 2010, 09:41 PM

Alright, I'll include a link to set a setting, so that all (or a limited number of) videos are embedded using the Flash player instead of the method with the preview image. Be patient. Smiley

Btw, we opted for this solution, because the old plugin runs on the server and I have reason to believe that it makes the forum a bit slower. This will certainly get worse the more popular this forum gets.

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #34 - April 13, 2010, 09:43 PM

Thanks Aziz

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #35 - April 13, 2010, 09:49 PM

Don't set them all embedded. People often get carried away and post four or five vids in one post in music threads. Having anything up to one hundred flash players trying to load simultaneously would be a nightmare.

Frankly I think the new setup is better, because people don't usually want to play the older vids on each page and this way we don't have to load them. If we set a restriction again ( the old one was twelve) then we are back to most of the vids on a page just being a basic url which requires going to YouTube to watch them anyway. I can't see that being optimal, especially given that we only have one person complaining. What about everyone else?

Reply #36 - April 13, 2010, 09:56 PM

It will be setting, mate. Not the default. And if the user sets a limit, the videos that exceed that limit will be shown as preview images (like it is now). Wink

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #37 - April 13, 2010, 10:00 PM

Islame, on this site IE (all versions) is a minority browser. If we set a restriction on the number of embedded vids per page that means that once the limit is reached everyone, regardless of which browser they use, will have to go to YouTube to watch the videos. Since it is only IE that is the problem I'm not at all sure that other people should be penalised for using something that works.

As far as I know, IE8's javascript support is reasonable but quirky. It may be possible to get the new code working properly in IE8. That would be the best option if it can be done. In the meantime patience may be required (and yes, the old plugin was a right mongrel of a thing).

Reply #38 - April 13, 2010, 10:03 PM

It will be setting, mate. Not the default. And if the user sets a limit, the videos that exceed that limit will be shown as preview images (like it is now). Wink

Frankly I'm not sure it's worth it. More crap to deal with. If you do want to do it this way then you will need to have a default setting anyway, otherwise people new to the site will be faced with all flash players trying to load at once when they open a page.

Reply #39 - April 13, 2010, 10:04 PM

But other users won't be penalized, because it will be a user setting. That's what I'm trying to tell you. Wink

The default will be preview images. You will be able to change that setting for yourself, and display Flash players by default if you like that more.

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #40 - April 13, 2010, 10:04 PM

Don't set them all embedded. People often get carried away and post four or five vids in one post in music threads. Having anything up to one hundred flash players trying to load simultaneously would be a nightmare.

How about just disabling the play option, so all users need to double click, & play video on youtube?  We might even be able to get more posts per page this way I assume?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #41 - April 13, 2010, 10:07 PM

But other users won't be penalized, because it will be a user setting. That's what I'm trying to tell you. Wink

Ok but you'll still need to set a default value as a starting point, even if it can be overridden in profile settings. I'd suggest making the default value twelve like the old setting. That should be fairly safe for any connection.

Reply #42 - April 13, 2010, 10:09 PM

The default will be preview images. You will be able to change that setting for yourself, and display Flash players by default if you like that more.

You edited your post after I posted. Tongue Ok, that makes sense if you can make it work in IE.  Cheesy

How about just disabling the play option, so all users need to double click, & play video on youtube?  We might even be able to get more posts per page this way I assume?

How about getting a real browser so we don't have to worry about this stuff? grin12

Reply #43 - April 13, 2010, 11:06 PM

I can't see that being optimal, especially given that we only have one person complaining. What about everyone else?

If you'd like to gauge coem user opinion on this new modification, I could start a poll?

Its not just that- the problem for me, like I said earlier, is that youtube video titles are no longer available.  When I do  produced my shorter youtube videos, I spend time thinking about how to write my titles to grab the attention of the right type of viewer.

Given the amount of posts on COEM most dont have time to go through as many threads as they like.  When they skim through threads in this fashion, they decide to focus on what interests them and ignore the bits that dont.

Titles are often the most explanatory part of a youtube video (thats why its called a title Smiley), and disabling the ability to see the title automatically makes it less likely that each reader will click on an image to access it, and even if they do, slow down the process of speed reading.  

So its more likely that users will miss videos that might have been something that they otherwise might have watched, thus making the whole coem visiting experience less rewarding and enjoyable.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #44 - April 14, 2010, 01:03 AM

Okey that's not the video i wanted to post.
    hopefully this works.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWZ59qIwXGY

"A good man is so hard to find but a hard man is so good to find"
     Reply #45 - April 14, 2010, 01:05 AM

Damn! I am so awsome!!
     Everyone celebrate for my computer literacy!
     party!

"A good man is so hard to find but a hard man is so good to find"
     Reply #46 - April 14, 2010, 08:29 AM

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #47 - April 14, 2010, 08:47 AM

parrot bunny sloshed cheers Punk fest42 yay banana dance

• Meh. We haz bugz.
     Reply #48 - April 14, 2010, 08:58 AM

Hmm. We've got bugs with this video embedding.

Reply #49 - April 14, 2010, 09:01 AM

This thing is going buggy in Firefox 3.6 now.

Preview image and player wont show in this post: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=9806.msg251422#msg251422

Also, this is an old post and the video used to be embedded in it. Aint working now: http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=4198.msg107063#msg107063

• Meh. We haz bugz.
     Reply #50 - April 14, 2010, 09:02 AM

You've just realised?  Tongue

"...every imperfection in man is a bond with heaven..." - Karl Marx
  • Meh. We haz bugz.
     Reply #51 - April 14, 2010, 09:06 AM

Been working ok for me up 'til now.

• Meh. We haz bugz.
     Reply #52 - April 14, 2010, 09:08 AM

I noticed for some time that they'd turn from links to embedded videos and back.

"...every imperfection in man is a bond with heaven..." - Karl Marx
  • Meh. We haz bugz.
     Reply #53 - April 14, 2010, 09:09 AM

Yippi I found the problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWekSVdTgUI

• Meh. We haz bugz.
     Reply #54 - April 14, 2010, 09:10 AM

just re pasted you youtube link minus this "&feature=channel" and it worked

does this make any sense?

• Meh. We haz bugz.
     Reply #55 - April 14, 2010, 09:12 AM

Yippi I found the problem

Yup. I figured it out too. It has to end with a letter. Anything after the last letter in the string has to get chopped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWekSVdTgUI&feature=channel

That wont work. This will:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWekSVdTgUI

The &feature=channel (or anything like it) has to be removed.

• Meh. We haz bugz.
     Reply #56 - April 14, 2010, 09:14 AM

Unfortunately what this means is that a lot of the older embedded vids wont be working now, because the old plug-in handled that format of url without any problems.

I'm going to split these posts out and merge them with the thread about this embedding stuff. Hang on while I lock the thread and split it.

Reply #57 - April 14, 2010, 09:14 AM

The video page link does have extra words like these: &feature=channel or &feature=reload or &feature=video and that wont work.

Copying the url from Share this video or just manually removing those 2 words with the & and = signs would do the trick.

Reply #58 - April 14, 2010, 10:09 AM

Sorry about this bug, but it was caused by the fix I made to the script to handle IE browsers. The problem was the ampersand (&) in the URLs. Now it should be working for every video link. Smiley

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #59 - April 14, 2010, 10:13 AM

Bloody IE. Cheesy  All seems to be working now (although I haven't checked in IE).

• Previous page 1 23 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »