Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Your religion isn't really yours

(Read 3643 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Your religion isn't really yours
     OP - April 26, 2014, 04:04 PM

So I was inspired to start this thread after listening to the rap Nikolaj post in in the shout box  Afro It's something I've thought about for a long time.

Even though faith/religion is just that, a faith, for many religious people, for some of them religion is more than just a faith you have and practice in the privacy of your home. Religion has become (has always been?) an important part of constructing our identity, one such example is the NOI movement in the US and a lot of Afro-Americans converting to either NOI or/eventually to Islam.

One thing I just don't get is that some seem to think that their particular religion is a "natural" part of their identity, but what they forget is that the particular religion they identify with wasn't a part of their (their forefathers') culture at some point. Just like Christianity was "forced" upon the black slaves (and native Americans), Islam was at some point forced upon Africans through imperialism. I've observed the same type of ignorance in former Yugoslavia (Bosnia, Serbia, Croatia etc) where religion became more than just faith. It was an intrinsic part of people's identity, that made them completely different despite the fact that they shared the same culture (in general) and the same language. As a side note, I have always respected Albanians for the fact that they do not let religious differences (Catholicism and Islam) be something that divides them.

Don't you find it really stupid for people to have this idea that their religion they were born into somehow is "natural"?!

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #1 - April 26, 2014, 05:21 PM

It's not stupid, its sad

"I Knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then." Alice in wonderland

"This is the only heaven we have how dare you make it a hell" Dr Marlene Winell
     Reply #2 - April 26, 2014, 10:00 PM

If you believe in God, and that he has a master plan for humanity. They you'd probably believe that it was inevitable that your people would eventually adopt the religion you're born into.

Also most humans emphasize the present over the past and the future. They tend to think that the current situation will continue indefinately, they don't really see that at the larger scale things are always changing. So the current state of affairs is viewed as the final step in a process of change.
     Reply #3 - April 26, 2014, 10:20 PM

Don't you find it really stupid for people to have this idea that their religion they were born into somehow is "natural"?!

You could say the same for culture, sex and even species. It's a thought that has occurred to me more than once.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #4 - April 26, 2014, 10:32 PM

On the issue of Islam and Nation of Islam. Here are the two sides arguing in Speakers Corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpXVfiIiqNk

I am better than your god......and so are you.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #5 - April 26, 2014, 10:35 PM

Delusional black muslims in a shouting match with delusional white muslims. Classic.
     Reply #6 - April 26, 2014, 10:37 PM

Here we have one deluded idiot calling another bunch of deluded idiots a 'sheep'! Go figure!

I think this is known as the 'No True Scotsman' fallacy.

"Is the man who buys a magic rock, really more gullible than the man who buys an invisible magic rock?.......,...... At least the first guy has a rock!"
     Reply #7 - April 26, 2014, 11:49 PM

If I had a choice, I would rather have Nation of Islam over so-called 'True' Islam any day.

Not much of a choice I admit.

Reply #8 - April 26, 2014, 11:50 PM

But - do you have a choice, Adey5? Huh?

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #9 - April 27, 2014, 12:24 AM

Yes, I will take  the third choice......neither.

• Re: Your religion isn't really yours
     Reply #10 - April 27, 2014, 04:44 AM

As a side note, I have always respected Albanians for the fact that they do not let religious differences (Catholicism and Islam) be something that divides them.

Are you a Hoxhaist?
     Reply #11 - April 27, 2014, 04:49 AM

Don't know what that is Tongue

"The healthiest people I know are those who are the first to label themselves fucked up." - three
     Reply #12 - April 27, 2014, 06:38 AM

So I was inspired to start this thread after listening to the rap Nikolaj post in in the shout box  Afro It's something I've thought about for a long time.

Even though faith/religion is just that, a faith, for many religious people, for some of them religion is more than just a faith you have and practice in the privacy of your home. Religion has become (has always been?) an important part of constructing our identity, one such example is the NOI movement in the US and a lot of Afro-Americans converting to either NOI or/eventually to Islam.

One thing I just don't get is that some seem to think that their particular religion is a "natural" part of their identity, but what they forget is that the particular religion they identify with wasn't a part of their (their forefathers') culture at some point. Just like Christianity was "forced" upon the black slaves (and native Americans), Islam was at some point forced upon Africans through imperialism. I've observed the same type of ignorance in former Yugoslavia (Bosnia, Serbia, Croatia etc) where religion became more than just faith. It was an intrinsic part of people's identity, that made them completely different despite the fact that they shared the same culture (in general) and the same language. As a side note, I have always respected Albanians for the fact that they do not let religious differences (Catholicism and Islam) be something that divides them.

Cornflower writes all that and says
    Don't know what that is Tongue

i know what that is Cornflower., it is frustration.,  It is frustration trying to educate fools about religions.  I tell you it doesn't matter what science did to the folks for the past just 100 years,  what people need is comfort from facing problems and many take comfort in religion.  So to eliminate   all the rubbish religions and their rituals, I want to start a new religion.. And as usual No 7 being the most important number ., my religion has seven simple rules to replace all the  religions and their alleged scriptures on this earth.

1) Work for upholding individual rights  

2) Don’t take people’s stuff

3) Don’t hurt people

4) Take responsibility

5) Live and let people live

6) Absolute power corrupts absolutely , so decentralize the social, political, economical power and Fight the power hungry rogues,

7).. And finally the golden rule  

All intelligent life above human beings including this allah/god/whatever(if it is there)  must follow those rules. With those rules set in motion the human life can sustain forever on this planet and beyond this planet..

WHAT??  WHY THE HELL I AM WRITING THIS NONSENSE in this folder??
    Hmm.. Cornflower answered that question  

and the answer is  "Don't know what that is Tongue"

yap that is the answer..

Did you guys walk in any flowered corn fields??   it is breath taking and   beautiful. it is a very happy flower., it represents happiness with all the problems around it...

by the way with those 7 rules in front of you, YOU GUYS CAN FOLLOW ANY EXISTING RELIGIONS and their scriptures that do not contradict those seven rules  

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #13 - April 27, 2014, 07:22 AM

I meant, I don't know what a hoxhaist is Smiley I was hoping schizo would explain it to me!

But as usual yeez, it's a pleasure reading your posts Cheesy

Reply #14 - April 27, 2014, 07:23 AM

Hoxha was the bloke who ran Abania for decades. Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enver_Hoxha

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #15 - April 27, 2014, 07:27 AM

Thanks, I just googled it and came back here to tell ya I learnt something new Smiley

Reply #16 - April 27, 2014, 09:03 AM

On the issue of Islam and Nation of Islam. Here are the two sides arguing in Speakers Corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpXVfiIiqNk

As much as I despise 'traditional' Islam, I would take it over the racist 'Nation' any day.
     Reply #17 - April 27, 2014, 06:29 PM

Neither flick my switch, but NOI have not, as far as I am aware, issued any fatwas, called for death of non-believers, bombed any planes or conducted any suicide bombings or sprayed shopping centres or hotels with hot lead.

Still idiots though.

Reply #18 - April 27, 2014, 06:39 PM

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #19 - April 27, 2014, 06:40 PM

Not sure why that posted twice.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »