Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: 1001 Inventions

(Read 4062 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • 1001 Inventions
     OP - March 31, 2010, 11:50 PM

My Muslim friend just emailed me this link:

http://www.1001inventions.com/media/video/library 

Well made, but... Roll Eyes

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
  • Re: 1001 Inventions
     Reply #1 - March 31, 2010, 11:55 PM

Is that Ben Kingsley?

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #2 - March 31, 2010, 11:56 PM

It's actually not that bad, too bad for the inevitable Islamist use.

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #3 - April 01, 2010, 12:06 AM

Yeah I thought so. Cute little movie, but they get so damned proud of stuff like that. sheikh

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #4 - April 01, 2010, 12:13 AM

I wish they'd also mention some of the religious views of the scientists of the 'golden age' like this:

On what ground do you deem it necessary that God should single out certain individuals [by giving them prophecy], that he should set them up above other people, that he should appoint them to be the people's guides, and make people dependent upon them?

If the people of this religion are asked about the proof for the soundness of their religion, they flare up, get angry and spill the blood of whoever confronts them with this question. They forbid rational speculation, and strive to kill their adversaries. This is why truth became thoroughly silenced and concealed.

You claim that the evidentiary miracle is present and available, namely, the Koran. You say: "Whoever denies it, let him produce a similar one." Indeed, we shall produce a thousand similar, from the works of rhetoricians, eloquent speakers and valiant poets, which are more appropriately phrased and state the issues more succinctly. They convey the meaning better and their rhymed prose is in better meter. ... By God what you say astonishes us! You are talking about a work which recounts ancient myths, and which at the same time is full of contradictions and does not contain any useful information or explanation. Then you say: "Produce something like it"?!

Why, all the Saints and Sages who discuss’d
        Of the Two Worlds so learnedly — are thrust
        Like foolish Prophets forth; their Words to Scorn
        Are scatter’d, and their Mouths are stopt with Dust.

If you do not recognize God, at least recognise His sign, I am the creative truth -Ana al-Haqq-,
    because through the truth, I am eternal truth. My friends and teachers are Iblis (Satan) and Pharaoh.

They all err - Muslims, Christians, Jews, and Magians:
        Two make Humanity's universal sect:
        One man intelligent without religion,
        And, one religious without intellect.

o not suppose the statements of the prophets to be true; they are all fabrications. Men lived comfortably till they came and spoiled life. The sacred books are only such a set of idle tales as any age could have and indeed did actually produce.

Reply #5 - April 01, 2010, 04:29 AM

Well made, but... Roll Eyes

But they always exaggerate with the claims of usefulness, while ignoring how useful all the previous inventions were :\

Like: every scientist and his cat dreamed of flying, each with his own independent ideas that just didn't work.
    Or... I've seen "modern looking surgical tools" from Roman excavation sites. *shrugs*

Do not look directly at the operational end of the device.
     Reply #6 - April 01, 2010, 07:27 AM

Yeah, this was part of the whole general programme to raise the self-esteem of Muslims in Britain in the last decade after all the stuff like 9/11 and 7/7. It also has a finger wagging aspect to it for kuffars. I remember a Muslim lady writing an article in the Guardian on the back of one of these exhibitions about how the government should insert as part of the national curriculum lessons specifically about the contribution of Islam to the West, science etc etc, so that Muslim boys like her son wouldn't feel alienated, and would have their self esteem boosted and not turn to extremism and then suicide bombing  Roll Eyes

I think its the other way around though. Instead of all this dawah-lite, Muslims need to introspect and understand not only the context of these things, but how there is nothing special about their contributions, in as much as they were part of the ebb and flow of human achievment, and that they took ideas from ancient India and other advanced civilisations, rather than painting it all as Islamic exceptionalism (as well as forgetting that the scientists and thinkers were in fact often against Islam and religion in general)

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #7 - April 01, 2010, 07:52 AM

Can we start an "Ex-Muslim" science/philosophy thread? 
    A lot of these "golden age of Islam" people were considered unbelievers after all - and Murtads should have a better claim to a lot of the science than Muslims.

Maybe the contributions of Ex-Muslims is even greater than those of Muslims... whistling2
     Reply #8 - April 04, 2010, 06:08 PM

Discoveries and inventions are made through the intelligence and knowledge of individuals, not because of alleged godly revelations of a scripture. It is always scientific and technological advance despite religion, not because of religion.
     Reply #9 - April 04, 2010, 11:26 PM

I wish they'd also mention some of the religious views of the scientists of the 'golden age' like this:

Could you provide names for each of the quotations? such information is pure gold.

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali
     Reply #10 - April 04, 2010, 11:36 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjfFzoZmBWY

Abdur Raheem Green talks about Islamic Spain being successful because of Sharia. He says Muslims invented science which is absolute bullshit.

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #11 - April 05, 2010, 12:58 AM

I went to the 1001 Inventions exhibition in the Science Museum, London. Personally, I think it's just a way to appease Muslims. Fuck that bullshit. As Ibn Warraq says, giving Islam credit for the progress is like giving the Catholic Church credit for Galileo.
     Reply #12 - April 05, 2010, 01:03 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjfFzoZmBWY

Abdur Raheem Green talks about Islamic Spain being successful because of Sharia. He says Muslims invented science which is absolute bullshit.

Ah, and returns the Muslim Viking. Too bad 'Islamic Spain' was akin to the Los Vegas of the Muslim world; gambling, drinking, smoking drugs. To equate Spain to comprehensive implementation of Sharia is really stretching it. Considering the Salafi side he crows from, it is further re-enforcement that those societies that break with the past and approach Islam from a non-traditionalist angle tend to come out better off than if they came form the angle that the Muslim Viking comes from.

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali
     Reply #13 - April 05, 2010, 01:13 AM

Ah, and returns the Muslim Viking. Too bad 'Islamic Spain' was akin to the Los Vegas of the Muslim world; gambling, drinking, smoking drugs. To equate Spain to comprehensive implementation of Sharia is really stretching it. Considering the Salafi side he crows from, it is further re-enforcement that those societies that break with the past and approach Islam from a non-traditionalist angle tend to come out better off than if they came form the angle that the Muslim Viking comes from.

True. But you have to admit that his point that there were no poor people in Islamic Empire is a pile of crap. Also, most of those prominent scientists were Muslim, but not as religious as some people may think.

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #14 - April 05, 2010, 01:50 AM

True. But you have to admit that his point that there were no poor people in Islamic Empire is a pile of crap. Also, most of those prominent scientists were Muslim, but not as religious as some people may think.

Of course, but then again, large numbers of Muslims will romanticise the past instead of acknowledging it was a mixed bag of blessings.

Regarding the scientists; too many so many Muslims ignore that I'd say the conversions to Islam had to do more with the ability to continue doing what they did without being harassed and funded by the authorities rather than any sort of deep seated love with Islamic orthodoxy.

Reply #15 - April 05, 2010, 05:10 AM

I just found the perfect passage I was about to share with you in my own thread, but I think it will work here dance

Quote from: Khaled Abou El Fadl, "The Great Theft: Wrestling Islam from the Extremists", page 78
    By the mid-twentieth century, it had become clear that Salafism had drifted into stifling apologetics. These apologetics consisted of an effort to defend Islam and its tradition against the onslaught of Westernization and modernity by simultaneously emphasizing both the compatibility and the supremacy of Islam. Apologists responded to the intellectual challenges of the modern age by adopting pietistic fictions about the presumed perfection of Islam, eschewing any critical evaluation of Islamic doctrines. A common device of apologists was to argue that any meritorious or worthwhile modern institutions were first invented and realized by Muslims. Therefore, according to the apologists, Islam liberated women, created democracy, endorsed pluralism, and protected human rights, long before these institutions ever existed in the West. Nonetheless, this was not asserted out of a critical engagement with the Islamic tradition, or even out of a genuine ideological commitment or a rigorous understanding of the implications of the ideas and institutions asserted. Rather, these issues were asserted primarily as a means of affirming self-worth and attaining a measure of emotional empowerment. The apologists simply raised the issue of Islamic authenticity in relation to issues such as democracy, human rights, and women's rights, but did not seriously engage them. According to such apologetics, all society need to do in order to fully attain the benefits of democracy, human rights, economic development, or women's rights was to give full expression to the real and genuine Islam. But what naturally flowed from this was an artificial sense of confidence and an intellectual lethargy that took neither the Islamic tradition nor these modern challenges very seriously.

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #16 - April 05, 2010, 05:21 AM

@Iblis
    Could you provide names for each of the quotations? such information is pure gold.

Ditto

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #17 - April 05, 2010, 05:52 AM

I just found the perfect passage I was about to share with you in my own thread, but I think it will work here dance

Awesome quotation; there is a great video regarding Islam and Democracy by him - just plug his name into google along with video; its hosted in the MIT video service.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »