Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: History of Islam in Indian Subcontinet

(Read 5723 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • History of Islam in Indian Subcontinet
     OP - March 28, 2010, 03:04 PM

Salimansar Excepts from a Book at  http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=231323  

From Peshawar to Delhi in the Year 1525
    BOOK NAME: Invasions of India from Central Asia
    AUTHOR: Fide.et.Fiducia

Invasions of India from Central Asia

Baber arrived at Peshawur in India, on the 10th of December having taken three weeks to perform a journey of about two hundred miles, but which he had on other occasions performed in six days. Peshawur was at that time called Bekram, and was an outlying province of Kabul. The Turks had built a fort there. Baber was now in Hindustan, �the Gurmsil, or country of warm temperature�. Immediately on reaching it, he writes, �I beheld a new world. The grass was different, the trees different, the wild animals of a different sort, the birds of a different plumage, the manners and customs of the Ils and Uluses (the wandering tribes) of a different kind. I was struck with astonishment, and indeed there was room for wonder�.

�Whilst at Peshawur, Baber and his courtiers hunted the wild rhinoceros. Peshawur was an ancient Hindoo city. Near it was a celebrated place of Hindoo worship, called Gurh-Katri. Baber, with his usual curiosity, visited it, and thus described it: �There are nowhere else in the whole world such narrow and dark hermits� cells as at this place. After entering the doorway and descending one or two stairs, you must lie down, and proceed crawling along stretched at full length. You cannot enter without a light. The quantities of hair, both of head and beard, that are lying scattered about and in the vicinity of the place, are immense�. These excavations are very ancient, and are of Buddhistic origin. The hair lying scattered about was what had been cut off and left by the pilgrims as votive offerings.

Until the Turks should reach the very heart of the Indian Empire at Delhi, they had no very serious opposition to fear. The whole of the Punjab, now a rich agricultural country watered by five great rivers, was then an almost uninhabited waste, except for a few strongly-defenced and walled cities, in which the unwarlike Hindoos could live in some security from their bad neighbours, the highlanders of Kabul. �The Moghuls of Balkh and Kabul every year, used to make raids on the Punjaub, and for this reason this country remained depopulated for a long time, very little agriculture was carried on. Rai Ram Dio Bahti, of Patiyala, rented the whole Punjaub from the Governor of Lahore for nine hundred thousand takas (about to thousand pounds of our money).

�The two strongest fortresses of the Punjaub, Lahore and Sialkote, were already in the hands of the Turks, and had Turkish garrisons. Baber had taken them some years before in one of his numerous inroads into India.

�The king had strengthened his position as much as possible by diplomacy. Many of the discontented nobles of Ibrahim�s court had been gained over. Among these were Allaodeen Lodi, and Dowlet Khan Lodi, kinsmen of Sultan Ibrahim. The Rajpoot chief of Udipore had also promised Baber assistance.

��This day� (Dec 12th), �when we stayed at Peshawur, I sent for several beys and noblemen who were about my person, as well as for the paymasters and Diwans� and having nominated six or seven of them as superintendents, appoint them to attend at the Nilab passage to conduct the embarkation, and to take down the name of the every man in the army, one by one, and to inspect them. That same night I had a defluxion and fever. The defluxion ended in a cough, every time I coughed, I spat blood. �I was considerably alarmed, but praise be to God! It went off in two or three days�.

�We made two marches for Bekram, and after the third, on Thursday the 12th, we encamped on the banks of the river Sind, or Indus. �On Saturday, the first day of the first Kebi (Dec 16th) we passed the Sind, and having also crossed the river Kechkot halted on its banks. The Beys, paymasters, and Diwans, who had been placed to superintend the embarkation, brought me the return of the troops who were on the service; great and small, good and bad, servants and no servants, they amounted to twelve thousand persons�.

�This Turkish force was divided into three commands-one under Baber himself, one under his young son Humayon, and one under his trusted old comrade-in-arms, Khwajeh Kilan. Two of his cousins, one of the race of Tamerlane, Muhammad Sultan Mirza and Chin Timor Sultan, had high commands. Abdul-Aziz was master of the horse. Ustad Ali Kuli, from Khorasan, and Mustafa, the cannoneer, a Turk from Constantinpole, commanded the artillery.

�The king of India at the time was Sultan Ibrahim Lodhi, and Afghan by race from Kohistan. The house of Lodi had been reigning for sixty years-since 1450. Three kings of that name had ruled-Behloh Lodi, Sekander Lodi, and Ibrahim. Ibrahim had inherited his throne from his father and grandfather. �The prince, contrary to the maxims and policy of his father and grandfather, behaved himself with insupportable pride and arrogance to his friends and family. One foolish expression of his was that kings had no relations, but that everybody should be the slaves of royalty. The Omrahs (nobles, plural of Amir), of the tribe of Lodi, who had always been honoured with a seat in the presence, were now constrained to stand before the throne with their hands crossed. They were so much disgusted with this insolence, that they privately became his enemies�. By this haughtiness, and by more substantial injuries, Ibrahim Lodi had alienated his brother Allaodeen, and his kinsman, Dowlet Khan Lodi, who was governor of Lahore. They had been in treasonable negotiation with Baber; but they had broken faith with Baber when he arrived in person in India, as they had done with Ibrahim, their lawful ruler.

�Baber continued his advance on Delhi. On the 30th December, he reached Perserur; on the 31st, Kilanur, a town between the Kavi and the Biah. From thence he went to a valley called �Dun�, and took a castle of Dowlet Khan Lodi, in which he found a valuable library. Ten days were expended on this successful expedition; the traitor, Dowlet Khan Lodi, a very old man, fell into the hands of the Turks, and soon afterwards died. From Dun, they came to the Rupur on the Sutlej, and from thence to Sirhind, a place of great importance. It was a walled town, six miles round, containing a fort, a fine mosque, and fine gardens; on the east side was a large lake. Two marches beyond Sirhind, at Chiter, a small town on the river Kagar, near Thanaser, Baber �had information that Sultan Ibrahim, who lay on this side Delhi, was advancing, and that the Shekdar of Hissar-Firozeh, Hamid Khan Khasl-Khail, had also advance ten or fifteen kos towards us, with the army of Hissar-Firozeh and of the neighbouring districts�.

�On February 25th the Turks reached Umballah. On the 26th Prince Humayon attacked Hamid Khan, the Shekdar of Hissar-Firozeh (Shekdar is a military governor of a district), and took him by surprise. �Our troops,� writes Baber, �brought down one hundred or two hundred of the enemy, cut off the heads of the one half, and brought the other half alive into camp, along with seven or eight elephants. Bey Merak Moghul brought the news of this victory of Humayon to the camp at this station on Friday the 18th of the month. I directed a complete dress of honour, a horse from my own stable, with a reward in money, to be given to him.�

Any one who would like to read that book., I can e-mail the pdf file..

with best
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• Re: History of Islam in Indian Subcontinet
     Reply #1 - March 28, 2010, 03:24 PM

is this when Islam got into India, or had it already happened (as some of the existing rulers had muslim names)

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #2 - March 28, 2010, 03:30 PM

The Article says "From Peshawar to Delhi in the Year 1525"

and IsLame  asks THIS question
    is this when Islam got into India, or had it already happened (as some of the existing rulers had muslim names)

what is WRONG WITH YOU DEAR IsLame?

You are acting like Meera..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQBKTUj6y3I&feature=related

DAMN...

Reply #3 - March 28, 2010, 03:34 PM

The Abbasid Caliphate had already put western parts of what is now Balochistan province in modern Pakistan by the start of the 700s.

However the 'official' introduction of Islam began in 712 AD under the tutelage of a young Muhammad bin Qasim when he commanded a force of Arabs and invaded the territory of a certain Raja Dahir on the coast of Sindh (Karachi etc) and made his way up the Indus River until he established headquarters in my city of Multan (its a pretty old city bear in mind).

The Arab Emirate that stretched across from Sindh in the south to some parts of Multan initially began the phase of Islamic conversions in the Indian subcontinent which gradually spread eastward with the coming Turkic, Afghan, and Persian invasions of northern India.

Pakistan Zindabad? ya Pakistan sey Zinda bhaag?

Long Live Pakistan? Or run with your lives from Pakistan?
     Reply #4 - March 28, 2010, 03:35 PM

[/size]

DAMN...

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy ouch  Tongue

Pakistan Zindabad? ya Pakistan sey Zinda bhaag?

Long Live Pakistan? Or run with your lives from Pakistan?
     Reply #5 - March 28, 2010, 03:45 PM

No..no.. no atheist.pk., I guess I am wrong there., I was actually upset about that lady Meera., She is so stupid to speak in English.,

I was under the impression that IsLam is(or has background) from Indian subcontinent. I guess my assumption was wrong there.,

So Yes I need to add TOTAL STORY OF "How Islam came to Indian subcontinent" in this thread. So As a Punishment I will do that in next 5 or 10 posts..

I am sorry dear IsLame., It was just a joke..

with best wishes
    yeezevee

Reply #6 - March 28, 2010, 03:56 PM

Islamic came to the heartland of India in official rule in 1206.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delhi_Sultanate

The other prior dynasties were more periphery and temporal and had minimal influence on central India.

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #7 - March 28, 2010, 04:00 PM

I am sorry dear IsLame., It was just a joke..

Cry I am never talking to you again  Tongue

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #8 - March 28, 2010, 04:01 PM

The Article says "From Peshawar to Delhi in the Year 1525"

and IsLame  asks THIS question

DAMN...

ROFL

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #9 - March 28, 2010, 04:02 PM

The Abbasid Caliphate had already put western parts of what is now Balochistan province in modern Pakistan by the start of the 700s.

However the 'official' introduction of Islam began in 712 AD under the tutelage of a young Muhammad bin Qasim when he commanded a force of Arabs and invaded the territory of a certain Raja Dahir on the coast of Sindh (Karachi etc) and made his way up the Indus River until he established headquarters in my city of Multan (its a pretty old city bear in mind).

The Arab Emirate that stretched across from Sindh in the south to some parts of Multan initially began the phase of Islamic conversions in the Indian subcontinent which gradually spread eastward with the coming Turkic, Afghan, and Persian invasions of northern India.

So soon after the prophets death, all done by covering such huge distances on horseback - didnt waste any time did they!  Just proves how aggressive & virulent the Islamic ideology is!

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #10 - March 28, 2010, 04:08 PM

Well Islame, you do know Muslims did not invent imperial conquest do you?

Reply #11 - March 28, 2010, 04:23 PM

That's not the point though. Its an aspect of Islamic history that tends to be either hushed up by Muslims, or conceived of in terms of a civilising mission. Remember, its about how Muslims view Islamic history, the relationship of the imperial impulse to the narrative of Islam, and how it is related to the tenets of the religion itself.

I started a thread on this earlier this year:

+++++

Does Islam see itself as having a 'mission civilisatrice'?

I think that Muslims have always viewed Islam as a civilising culture with a mission to 'civilise' the world by turning it Islamic. On a grassroots level it manifests itself in how dawah is an impulse. Islam presents itself not just in spiritual terms (there is nothing unique spiritually about Islam), but in cultural, moral terms - pointing to the supposed corruption in the society, religion or culture from which the target of conversion originates.

When converts take their shahadah, a common experience is the virulence and vehemence with which they reject all manifestations of their previous life and culture. Cat Stevens repudiated all that he was and all that he came from as corrupted when he became Yusuf Islam. What they left behind was uncivilised, corrupt, ignorant, backwards.

Islam is a 'Year Zero' religion. It believes that all before it was jahil - and that even today, all non Muslims exist in a realm of jahil. It offers kuffars the chance to enact a Year Zero and start again cleansed of the corruption they previously belonged to.

These terms are moral and civilisational - Islam believes it has a burden - the Muslim man's burden - just like how European colonialists said they had a white man's burden. It is redolent with 'mission civilisatrice' language - the division of the world into Muslim and Kuffar, the dualism, the setting up of a hierarchy of humanity with Muslim men at the pinnacle, and all others beneath.

Much has been written about how Islam is essentially a form of Arab Imperialism. We can see how Muslim intellectuals romanticise Islamic empires, subjugations, military powers and imperialisms of history - lamenting their loss and elevating them as signs of Islam's superiority, all the while, decrying all non Islamic forms of historical imperialism. I think that is all just part of this attitude inherent in Islam - the civilising mission they believe is the duty of all Muslims.

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=8110.0

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #12 - March 28, 2010, 04:27 PM

Yep, but that doesnt make them right either, nor did they expland as aggressively & quickly as Islam which was my point.  It shows how dangerous it was/is.  

Also you must remember most muslims are still convinced Islam was spread peacefully and by word of mouth & preachers which is very unconvincing, even if they disregard history,  when you consider the speed of its progress.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #13 - March 28, 2010, 04:28 PM

That's fine and all, but I don't think Muslims actually hush up the original Arab invasions much at all. In fact my experience as a Muslims is that we positively - especially arabs - gloat about this fact of history. Most Islamists consider this a sort of "miracle" of Islam, that Allah willed the Arabs to conquer such a vast swathe of territory in the span of a lifetime.

The rest about Islam and it's imperial impulse and the concept of "year zero" i totally agree with. Another thing Muslim DO hush up is just how brutal the original invasions were. Of course they dismiss the brutality as a product of its time, not the genocidal impulse that Jihad encourages.

Reply #14 - March 28, 2010, 04:30 PM

Well let us go back in time to read the History of Islam In Indian Subcontinent ..Part-1 ..

The initial Islamic conquest of Indian subcontinent started from Present   Afghanistan in the year 642  immediately  after the Islamic conquest of Persia was completed.  This started with   Arab Muslims defeating the Sassanid Empire at the battles of Walaja, al-Qādisiyyah and Nahavand. The Arabs then began to move towards the lands east of Persia and in 642 captured the city, Herat(present Afghanistan). The complete conversion of Afghanistan to Islam happend during the period of the Ghaznavids, in or around the 11th century.

The invasion of Persia was completed with in five years after the death of the Islam's Prophet Muhammad, andmuch of the Persian territories came under Arab control, though pockets of tribal resistance continued for centuries in the Afghan territories. During the 7th century, Arab armies made their way into the region of Afghanistan from Khorasan with the new religion of Islam. At this point in time the area that is currently Afghanistan had a multi-religious population consisting of Buddhists, Zoroastrians, Hindus, Jews, and others.

Arab armies carrying the banner of Islam came out of the west to defeat the Sasanians in 642 AD and then they marched in to the east. On the western periphery of the Afghan area the princes of Herat and Seistan gave way to rule by Arab governors but in the east, in the mountains, cities submitted only to rise in revolt and the hastily converted returned to their old beliefs once the armies passed. The harshness and avariciousness of Arab rule produced quite a bit of power struggle over there.  

But once the waning power of the Caliphate became apparent, native rulers once again established themselves independent. Among these the Saffarids of Seistan shone briefly in the Afghan area. The founder of this dynasty, Yaqub ibn Layth Saffari, came forth from his capital at Zaranj in 870 AD and marched through Bost, Kandahar, Ghazni, Kabul, Bamyan, Balkh and Herat, conquering in the name of Islam.

Excerpted from various sources including books..

with best
    yeezevee

Reply #15 - March 28, 2010, 04:31 PM

Yep, but that doesnt make them right either, nor did they expland as aggressively & quickly as Islam which was my point.  It shows how dangerous it was/is.  

Not really. Genghis Khan's conquests were probably many times more faster and brutal. Alexander conquered must faster then the muslims invaders and was equally brutal. Countless nomadic conquerers - Huns, Seljuks, Timurids, Mongols, Goths, etc - all were quite a lot aggressive than the original muslim conquests. What makes the muslim conquests different is how far and wide it went and the fact that they lasted. In terms of intensity and brutality they were not unique by any means.

Also you must remember most muslims are still convinced Islam was spread peacefully and by word of mouth & preachers which is very unconvincing when you consider the speed.

Well most Muslims don't really read much history period. Actually most people don't know jack about history in general. So its hardly a surprise.

Reply #16 - March 28, 2010, 04:34 PM

That's fine and all, but I don't think Muslims actually hush up the original Arab invasions much at all. In fact my experience as a Muslims is that we positively - especially arabs - gloat about this fact of history. Most Islamists consider this a sort of "miracle" of Islam, that Allah willed the Arabs to conquer such a vast swathe of territory in the span of a lifetime.

Its not just the Islamists that gloat about it, although they do it most virulently in militant terms about the violent subjugation of kuffars. Mainstream Muslims tend to downplay that aspect, but still big-up and boost it as a wonderful a civilising mission, a great thing. When I said 'they hush it up' I was referring to that aspect of it all, concealing imperial pride in less stark language and rhetoric than others like the Islamists do.

God is Love.

Reply #17 - March 28, 2010, 04:36 PM

Mainstream Islam might downplay it in front of the kuffar. But even moderate muslims often talk about those conquests like it was some warm childhood memory. Its particularly ironic considering a vast majority of those muslims are descendents of conquered hindus and buddhist etc.

Reply #18 - March 28, 2010, 04:38 PM

Not really. Genghis Khan's conquests were probably many times more faster and brutal. Alexander conquered must faster then the muslims invaders and was equally brutal. Countless nomadic conquerers - Huns, Seljuks, Timurids, Mongols, Goths, etc - all were quite a lot aggressive than the original muslim conquests. What makes the muslim conquests different is how far and wide it went and the fact that they lasted. In terms of intensity and brutality they were not unique by any means.

The difference is that Genghis Khan etc doesn't have a religion attached to it today, and an Ummah full of resentments and ideas of exceptionalism based on those imperialisms, with almost zero introspection about their history, and orientating themselves in the modern world according to its precepts.

God is Love.

Reply #19 - March 28, 2010, 04:42 PM

Mainstream Islam might downplay it in front of the kuffar. But even moderate muslims often talk about those conquests like it was some warm childhood memory. Its particularly ironic considering a vast majority of those muslims are descendents of conquered hindus and buddhist etc.

Yeah. Like I said last night in relation to Mo and the massacres of Banu Qurayza, sometimes modern Islam seems like a gigantic act of subterfuge to keep the truth about Mo and other things from coming to light and being comprehended by the infidels. Hence the hagiography, and hysteria when these issues are broached.

God is Love.

Reply #20 - March 28, 2010, 04:52 PM

Iblis
    Its particularly ironic considering a vast majority of those muslims are descendents of conquered hindus and buddhist etc.

Well These Arab guys of that time Who, they  themselves were pagans of Arabia just had sex with 4 5 6 local women/ wives and  created some  Islamic viral strains dear Iblis  ..lol. with special rules of DNA   That is NOT a big deal provided if these Guys Advanced civilization over what was there before. But what rascals following Muhammad and his rules did was taking people back to 7th century Arabian desert . NOT EVEN THE TOWNS., damn desert.. where respected people like Muhammad's Dad was indeed chief of some town or pagan temple.

Any ways dear billy I would greatly appreciate your comment at http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=9410.msg240518#msg240518

with best regards
    yeezevee

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »