Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 06:51 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Islame re-reads the Quran

(Read 86190 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 4 5 67 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Islame re-reads the Quran
     Reply #150 - December 08, 2010, 07:19 AM

Well, historically, Tailor sufis - or the best of them - had to justify their Islamically heretical ideas and practices, like alcohol consumption, by the Qur'an in order to guard themselves from the very real danger of being killed as apostates. Is such a danger a very real possibility for you?

That's true to an extent -- it's like the argument that perhaps Descartes' last chapter was tacked on to avoid getting the chop -- because everything preceding it seems to lead us inevitably to atheism.

Actually, I prefer to think of Sufism as a vine that grows symbiotically onto different trees (cultures/peoples/times). The vine continues on even if the tree dies -- the vine is the point. There are some who argue that the tree of Islam (as a religion) is dead: if so, never mind, because I'm with the vine -- a vine, which makes the best of wines.

This, by the way, is my understanding of 47:38 -- replacing of "peoples", favouring a new "people" -- I'd be happy to say it has already happened, a number of times over (and in parallel sometimes).

If not, wouldn't it be better that you ceased dressing up your spirituality in Islamic clothing and stop calling yourself a "Muslim"? It just confuses people as to the exact nature of Islam.

Yes, I get of lot of requests from Muslims (and some self-proclaimed Sufis) to stop doing this -- because I might be confusing things. Well, I'm sorry if I am endangering the purity of Islam by confusing it with my spiritual position Smiley Such a dainty little thing it is ... poor lil' defenseless Islam, never did anyone any harm, all molested and confused by the complicated muddying words of that nasty old Tailor ...

Very well then: I am not a Muslim Smiley

It's a very easy thing to say -- and nevertheless to keep reading the Qur'an, making my salat as I do -- because I've got the vine ... and its excellent wine!

http://thegoodgarment.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/the-tailor-and-the-muslim/

TT

The Divisions of Love, second album by my Cabbalacore band, the Friends of Design, out now:

https://vimeo.com/110528857
     Reply #151 - December 08, 2010, 07:22 AM

Do you mean it  Huh?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #152 - December 08, 2010, 07:36 AM

Sure -- if you read that blog piece -- which is an almost verbatim transcript of a public Muslim event in London -- you will see that I was requested to stop calling myself a Muslim and, for the benefit of the Muslims who requested this (one of whom was a close friend) -- I have ceased to call myself a Muslim.

http://thegoodgarment.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/the-tailor-and-the-muslim/

That was painful because I am attached to the tree and the badge -- the ummah is like a family, right? But my Allah and my Reading (my iqraa) the Truth is more important to me than keeping the badge.

If they desire the badge -- and if it offends them so much to hear my iqraa because it is not what their fathers worship (see 26:74) ... Well then, they can keep the badge. But the terms of my apostasy is that I get to keep "my" Qur'an and "my" salat.

I am with the Vine and drink from its wine, I am not of the tree, and if the tree rejects the Vine then I will follow the Vine where it grows. Trees come and go Smiley

TT

The Divisions of Love, second album by my Cabbalacore band, the Friends of Design, out now:

Reply #153 - December 08, 2010, 08:15 AM

Meh who you are and what you do transcends a label.  A rose by any other name and all that. 

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #154 - December 08, 2010, 08:30 AM

No chance, he's not a fool like us - he would have been off looking for his next wife to bone

Cheesy  clap

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #155 - December 08, 2010, 09:33 AM

Miriam, Isa's mother and Miriam. Moses' and Aaron's sister are thousands of years
    apart! lulz.  And while I understand your concept  of soul splitting  *and also the
    Jungian theory of cellular memory--very interesting*,  they are NOT one in the
    same.  I also am VERY familiar with the Shekana "glory", which in this case, it
    has nothing to do with the question that I asked.  I was a holiness pentacostal
    before I became a muslim.  The one thing I DO understand about the sufis is
    the ecstatic realm reached in dance and worship.  

Interesting -- I have attended some Pentecostal ceremonies and also seen people speaking in tounges. I found some similarities with the more ecstatic versions of Sufism -- but I don't practice in such a way at all -- I somehow find those ecstatic events quite draining in a peculiar way. Not to deride them: it's just not how I find Sakina.

I find it through sedately thinking/praying -- doing a mathematical proof (I'm a mathematician by profession), composing music, reading the Qur'an, writing psychosexual thrillers (available at fernmind.com). Basically, through engaging in what Hegel called a dialectic -- occupying myself with a binary logic of internal debate, affirming and denying, 1's and 0's -- what we call Moses and Aaron -- to reach a conclusion (Sakina, their daughter).

There are Sufis that jump around a lot -- but I'm getting too old and fat for such energetic pursuits. Each to their own. Sakina entered the discussion here because I was asked about why Mariam is both Aaron's brother and -- a thousand years later -- also Imran's daughter. I repeat: Moses and Aaron are the 0 and 1 of binary logic, a logic that forms the "fabric" of reality. Their "sister" is another name for that "fabric". And that fabric gives birth to Truth (that transcends the 0's and 1's so to speak): the Christ. For this reason she is there in Exodus, there in the Roman occupation and right here as well.

Mohammad didn't believe in the concept of splitting souls, did he?

When I read the Qur'an, soul-splitting seems to be a fundamental tenet. It is the meaning of the inheritance rules. Ditto for Torah, where the Judaic mystics also read their inheritance rules in the same way (soul splitting/reincarnation/gilgul was always part of  orthodox Judaism, but was not emphasized publicly until quite recently).

Whether there was a Mohammed who didn't believe in that concept -- or whether it is not a Muslim thing to believe in -- or whether Mohammed really existed -- is incidental to me: I am not a Muslim Smiley

Also, there is no mention of the other super significant prophets like Ezekiel.
    Now HE had some experiences with God! lulz  Or Hezekiah, or Hosea.  Where
    is mention of Elijah or Elisha!  The story of Daniel is pretty significant as well!
    Where are the stories about Job?  VERY significant in Abrahamic  lore
    re: "the book"

True. Ezekiel in particular is very important to me. Arguably, ayat al-Kursi about the throne of God can only be understood after studying Ezekiel's experience of the throne of God.

It isn't a problem for me this is not in the Qur'an, because it is in the other books, which are just as important for me.

AND lastly, pray tell, how did Mohammad know Isa did or did not die on
    the cross?  The idea that it was someone else up there was very popular
    among the Jews.  

It was a popular idea amongst middle eastern Christians as well: particularly the gnostic sects that often had Judaic/Kabbalic backgrounds. Have you read the "Gospel of Judas"? It is a lost Gospel where the whole not dying on the Cross thing comes into play.

Not dying on the cross is basically like what I said above about the Vine. Christ is another name for the Vine. Not dying on the cross = the Truth/Vine continuing on, beyond whatever material badge someone might want to pin on it.

ALSO... something as significant as having chats with angels, wouldn't
    he have had to have at least ONE witness?  Couldn't be Aisha, as it
    was only hearsay when she heard it, plus, she was a woman, so there
    would have had to have been TWO witnesses.  

I'm surprised at you J&T! As an ex-Muslim, shouldn't it be obvious that Angels are all just in one's head? Your question is like asking why can't my wife see the dreams I had last night!

TT

Reply #156 - December 08, 2010, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the response, although I'm ashamed to say I still dont have a good handle on your position, despite all our time sparring on this forum  grin12

No doubt you've heard this criticism countless times before, and I know you often take it in a light-hearted fashion but its the accusation of spin I want to get to the bottom off.

You see if we take an random saying, lets take a kids nursery rhyme "Ring aring of roses, a pocketfull of posies, atishoo, atishoo, all fall down "

If I turned round & said this was divinely ordained, and applied a Islame-ite Sufi interpretation on this verse, roses are the beautiful beings that were created by Allah, & I could claim posies stands for posers, people who like to show off, and they all fall down shows how pride comes before a fall."

If I can do this to all the "collection of the very best nursey rhymes for kiddies", does that then make it divinely ordained scipture?  

Obviously not, so the crux of my argument is how do you come to the conclusion that these rhymes are just a collection of manmade tales, and the Quran isnt?

Well, what d'ya think?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #157 - December 08, 2010, 10:25 AM

Tailor.  Granted, the dawagandists who "taught" me proclaimed it was
    the truth in the literal sense.  Like all "good muslim converts" these
    questions didn't come until much later, and then I was instructed to
    "trust Allah" and "Allah knows best"  I learned later that the coined
    term for my dawagandist teachers was "wahabi" lol.  

Nevertheless, my spiritual quests in wanting to love and serve god
    were most sincere.  I started getting frustrated with the Jannah thing
    because of all the physical lusts implied, emphasis on sex, mostly,
    which I found kind of disgusting from a spiritual perspective.  Also,
    that the motive for doing or NOT doing anything all counted towards
    collective Jannah points, and not pure worship and love for god, as
    that seemed to be a trivial side bar IF you wanted to do or not do
    things.  

Also it was "discouraged" to continue reading the bible (both old and
    new testaments) and basically spend my time on more worthy things,
    like studying Arabic grammar LOL.  I was in my 40s when i had converted
    and although I am bilingual (Japanese and English), with varying amounts
    of other languages in my grasp, Arabic was proving to be rather difficult
    to learn lol.  

HENCE, technically, ANY foreign convert that doesn't already have Arabic
    as a first, second or third language, knows the Arabic cultures through and
    through, is screwed!  That epiphany hit me not long after I converted lol.

When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.
    Helen Keller
     Reply #158 - December 08, 2010, 10:30 AM

oh p.s.  As a fundamental christian, to study gnosticism was grossly
    blasphemous LOL  I did, however, research it a bit, and have read
    the gospel of Judas, and also saw some amazing documentaries about
    it.  The idea that Jesus never died would wipe out 9/10ths of the
    christian faith LULZ

Helen Keller
     Reply #159 - December 08, 2010, 12:25 PM

Wow you seem like you've had quite a journey, J&T. Can you point me to a link where you introduced yourself to this group, maybe?

I have met a number of former Pentecostal/ecstatic types as well as a former orthodox Jew (also very ecstatic in practice) who turned to Salafi style Islam: with the initial attraction that it is very simple and plain in comparison to the baroque theologies and the crazy, almost drunken physicality of their former practices. It's perhaps less attractive to move into a jumping-up-and-down version of Dervish Sufism (compared to a simple 5 times a day prayer of Salafis) -- if you have seen the down side of an ecstatic approach (and there is definitely a down side).

At any rate, I also dabbled with mainstream Islam for a number of years, possible with similar motivation, given my original family background in Sufism. Alhumdulilah I managed to escape -- and alhumdulilah you did too!

TT

Reply #160 - December 08, 2010, 01:14 PM

TT... I cringe when I read it, as the place where my head was, was NOT
    in a good space at the time I found this forum.  There was a LOT of pent
    up anger, old wounds that never properly healed, and it was a journey
    to get to where I am today.  I used some very raw language, as well.
    *thank you CEMB for putting up with my chit during this transitional
    period YIKES! LOL*

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?board=2.160

Helen Keller
     Reply #161 - December 08, 2010, 04:17 PM

J&T, thanks for the link, it puts your earlier comments in context: belated congratulations on escaping the cult Smiley

I'm just a Sufi, of a peculiar variety: hardly representative of a lot of self-proclaimed Sufi activity, let alone Islam the religion.

Linking back to my first message on this thread to IsLame: what I've written is how I understand the Qur'an. An understanding that is useful to me, but not of much value to most people (particularly the wider ummah itself, which objects most strongly to this Sufisticated approach generally because they a people in general averse to complexity/intelligence/beauty).  I don't mind answering questions on my perspective, and to discuss amicably, however, as it is sometimes fun to play the clown -- it's sort of part of the sunnah for me Smiley

But explaining my views might not be as constructive in this context as, for example, a psychoanalytic, atheist re-reading, where we assume Muhammed to be mad.

As a Sufi, I believe in different approaches for different contexts -- to reveal the "Vine". Depending on the context, a completely antagonistic (but detailed and literary) reading can be preferable than the kind I am offering -- I'm imagining something along the lines of Harold Bloom's reading of the J text or his reading of the New Testament. That might be more useful here than my reading.

IsLame -- have you had a go at reading any of Bloom's work on Judaism/Christianity? You'd enjoy them I think.

TT

Reply #162 - December 08, 2010, 04:27 PM

J&T, thanks for the link, it puts your earlier comments in context: belated congratulations on escaping the cult Smiley

I'm just a Sufi, of a peculiar variety: hardly representative of a lot of self-proclaimed Sufi activity, let alone Islam the religion.

So do you still consider yourself a muslim?

however, as it is sometimes fun to play the clown

No its great, most people take life far too seriously
    IsLame -- have you had a go at reading any of Bloom's work on Judaism/Christianity? You'd enjoy them I think.

TT

tell me more popcorn

btw can you let me know about this post, it will really help me understand where you are coming from..

Thanks for the response, although I'm ashamed to say I still dont have a good handle on your position, despite all our time sparring on this forum  grin12

No doubt you've heard this criticism countless times before, and I know you often take it in a light-hearted fashion but its the accusation of spin I want to get to the bottom off.

You see if we take an random saying, lets take a kids nursery rhyme "Ring aring of roses, a pocketfull of posies, atishoo, atishoo, all fall down "

If I turned round & said this was divinely ordained, and applied a Islame-ite Sufi interpretation on this verse, roses are the beautiful beings that were created by Allah, & I could claim posies stands for posers, people who like to show off, and they all fall down shows how pride comes before a fall."

If I can do this to all the "collection of the very best nursey rhymes for kiddies", does that then make it divinely ordained scipture?  

Obviously not, so the crux of my argument is how do you come to the conclusion that these rhymes are just a collection of manmade tales, and the Quran isnt?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #163 - December 08, 2010, 05:04 PM

Hi tailor,

If possible, can you please elaborate on the other rivers and what being in those particular states means for a person. Also, how does one understand this quandrangular mandala archetype of 4 levels in relationship to the 7 levels of the miraj?

SLM Z10,

Okay, this is something I am trying to write up. It's been expounded upon by various Sheikhs -- most publicly (and heretically) by the Bahaullah in his Seven Valleys and Four Valleys. You'll also find it explained in various Judaic Kabbalic cosmologies, but all rather cryptically.

Let me have a go now, but I'm afraid it will also be quite cryptic as the relationship is a bit complicated.

What follows is written specifically for z10 -- the rest might want to just ignore it as it is VERY esoteric/self-indulgent!

First, it is worth remembering the meaning of the Four Rivers (and their relation to the four planes of Heaven/four forms of consciousness in Sufism and Kabbalah):
      http://thegoodgarment.wordpress.com/2010/04/05/four-rivers/

Basically, we begin with accepting that both human perception/world views and the universe the human experiences (as perception) is pure information -- nothing more than data, in various forms. The different levels/rivers correspond to different perspectives on that data. In modern computing terminology, you can think of
    * The river of water (the plane of nasut/ordinary life) is the universe viewed as raw information -- data.
    * The river of milk (the plane of malakut/angelic space) is the space of different categories or models or world views or mental maps we might have of that data. Philosopher/psychoanalyst pair Deleuze and Guattari call these things "regimes of signs" -- they can be entire religious doctrines like Salafi Islam, for example, or poltical systems like Communism or Democracy or family structures in Ethiopia or whatever -- but these "things" are ways of structuring data, and they occupy the space of milk.
    * The river of wine (the plane of jabarut/unseen life) is the space of models of those models -- metamodels of data. Deleuze and Guattari's framework would be such a kind of thing, approximately, viewed as a method -- as it allows us to get a bird's eye view of the models of milk (though it is actually still framed in as a model). The kind of Sufism I am espousing is another example of a metamodel -- because I speak about movements (e.g., movements from the Salafi to the ex-Muslim) -- in a way that pretends as if I am "above" them.
    * The river of honey (the plane of lahut) is the space of the language of all these languages -- the meta-metamodel. It's a sort of language of God, that frames everything below. To ascend to this plane is to physically grasp the "eternal" meaning of everything -- by first grasping the infinite relativities of data/life, world views, and meta-world views that are below it.

Okay, the 7 planes of the miraj I won't summarize as you probably know them quite well. There is another piece I wrote on them here:
    http://thegoodgarment.wordpress.com/2009/07/20/the-mi%E2%80%99raj/

So, how do these cosmologies interrelate? They interrelate through an event we call the Sa'ee.

In this event, we first conceive of all the universe -- as a universe of data -- consisting of an interplay between 0's and 1's, between felt absence and presence of God, between slavery and messaging. Hegel called this interplay the master slave dialectic. You are either seeing objects (presence) or experiencing the absence of objects (absence): that's the nature of perception. And 0 and 1 are called Safa and Marwah, respectively -- "peaks" of understanding.

During the Sa'ee, we negotiate these moments of affirmation/negation, seeking the fountain of Life (the uppermost language at the fourth level), between two hills of Al-Safa and Al-Marwah. And the seeking -- to get to that fourth level -- requires a miraj of 7 embedded within it.

Our (Hajarian) movement is back and forth, seven times, like this:

Safa  --7--> Marwah LEVEL 4
               \6
    Safa  --5--> Marwah LEVEL 3
                 \4
    Safa  --3--> Marwah LEVEL 2
                   \2
    Safa   --1--> Marwah LEVEL 1

So you can see here, a movement through seven leading to an ascent to the fourth. The interplay between the four levels is complicated -- it's not like 7 is equal to 4, but more like the four are comprehended via the 7 within.

That the movement is between two hills is significant: it is like a waveform, the crests being points of masculine ascent (Light of transcendence) and valleys being points of feminine Sakina/Shekhina (Light made immanent) -- connecting the realms.

TT

Reply #164 - December 08, 2010, 05:29 PM

wut?  No tifrit wheel?  hehe   poof

Helen Keller
     Reply #165 - December 08, 2010, 05:30 PM

So do you still consider yourself a muslim?

I pray 5 times a day and read Qur'an continuously. It is not enough to make me a Muslim though, as I clearly read almost everything the wrong way from the majority's perspective.

Nevertheless, I have been informed that being a "Muslim" is a bit like being a member of a Big Brother -- if enough people vote you off, then you are out of the house. I've been preaching the Tailorite word for more than 2 years. It is clear that I've been voted off -- and I'm out of the house Smiley

btw can you let me know about this post, it will really help me understand where you are coming from..

Your tafsir of ring-a-ring-a-roses is quite accurate.

I have heard very experienced Sufis play with children's rhymes in exactly the way you have done it. One very famous western Naqshbandi Sheikh likes to do it with Bruce Springstein. I guess the main difference being that they really believe it is the word of God (as well as being a historically situated children's rhyme). I like to do the same thing with Pop songs (as did the Jewish premature messiah Shabatai Zevi, who would sing "profane" medieval love songs to "recover" the light in them). I could do it with, oh, this Kylie song for example ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpeQ_OCR2Ig
    And don't get me started on the King again ...

Perhaps you read my tafsir on Disney's Little Mermaid?
    http://thegoodgarment.wordpress.com/2009/11/05/disney-and-jihad/

So yes, from one perspective, my reading works just as well -- God's Loving Light shines through all events, all things, all books, all movies, all songs -- equally. And in that sense, I could ignore Qur'an and keep reading (or misreading, if you think I'm mad) nursery rhymes or fairy stories -- and I'd get the same quality of divine, angelic revelation.

It's not that all these things are manmade: from the Sufi perspective, nothing is man made -- they are all made by God, because ultimately all the universe is ayat of Allah.

In fact, the closest thing a Sufi gets to "sin" -- is the belief that man can make things -- that man can invent. That, in the Qur'an, is referred to as "inventing lies about Allah" Smiley

TT

Reply #166 - December 08, 2010, 05:35 PM

wut?  No tifrit wheel?  hehe   poof

Oh dear. If you want to get all Ezekealian on my ass, bring it on, sister Tongue The wheels are of course related to what I wrote to z10 (I mean, there's the throne up there at the top).

But unfortunately I have to dash, and won't be able to reply for a few days. Enjoying my return to CEMB though, nice to meet some new folk here as well ... will check back later.

In the meantime, I can summarize the Ezekielian position with two pop songs (gotta do some Sufi reading between the lines/Light recovery though!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7sQvBkcJdY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4UpguKcO18&feature=fvst

Love and Light,

The Tailor

Reply #167 - December 08, 2010, 05:42 PM

I can see how its an enticing way to view the world - everything is beautiful because its got God fingerprints over it.  

Do you believe in the traditional history of how the Quran came about & the life & times of the prophet?

So how do you interpret uglier things in history (e.g. Aisha being 9) & the atrocities that Muhammed carried out (wars, murders etc).  Not just the things recorded in the hadith, but by the objective history e.g. the conquest of Arabia during the prophets lifetime?

And coming back to the Quran being true - why do you pray 5 times a day if you see the Quran like a a nursery rhyme.  I am sure if Jack & Jill nursery rhyme said Jack prayed one time a day, then you wouldnt pray just the once.  And if you see it as something different, then how do you know its not manmade?  

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #168 - December 08, 2010, 05:43 PM

Can we have the Tailorite inquisition as a thread split please?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #169 - December 08, 2010, 05:52 PM

lol   Cheesy ur funny!

Helen Keller
     Reply #170 - December 08, 2010, 06:36 PM

Ah, okay, one last reply before I am away from this forum for a bit.

I can see how its an enticing way to view the world - everything is beautiful because its got God fingerprints over it.  

Do you believe in the traditional history of how the Quran came about & the life & times of the prophet?

Certainly not! Smiley In a particular sense, I believe that the Prophet is a purely imaginary, literary character, like Hamlet or Luke Skywalker (But another way of putting that is that we are purely imaginary, literary characters while he is a "real" person.)

For example, check out my version of the Banu Qurayza massacre:
      http://thegoodgarment.wordpress.com/2010/03/13/how-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-lesser-jihad/

Taking Martin Lings further, I believe the whole story is too obviously a case of a Jewish joke that got taken the wrong way.

So how do you interpret uglier things in history (e.g. Aisha being 9) & the atrocities that Muhammed carried out (wars, murders etc).

The betrothal at 6 and the marriage at 9 are classic pieces of Jewish numerology:

http://thegoodgarment.wordpress.com/2010/01/13/aisha’s-marriage-a-hyper-salafi-perspective/

Aisha -- as she is described in the hadeeth -- is also a kind of literary character.

There probably was also a "real" Aisha, like you are "real". But her nature is irrelevant because it is the literary aspect that what counts (not the least because it's all that we've got of her!).

Not just the things recorded in the hadith, but by the objective history e.g. the conquest of Arabia during the prophets lifetime?

Clearly something went on there -- although we really have some pretty poor records. I'm sure it is very interesting for historians, but irrelevant from the Sufi perspective.

I mean -- we could imagine several pictures of the conquest and Muhammed's role in it, historically. Perhaps there was an alliance between Arabs and Jewish tribes that got out of control -- and Muhammed was a fictional hero invented by Rabbis to keep the pact together, which later soured. Something along the lines of the Hagarism theory
       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagarism:_The_Making_of_the_Islamic_World
    I find it an appealing historical theory -- not because it is accurate (I've got no idea what went on historically as I am not an historian) -- but because it is so different from the other theories -- that it makes us aware that any speculation about that time is just that - speculation.

Well, another historical theory is a more Shia position, which is that Muhammed was primarily a mystic and charismatic visionary who was abused by a bunch of political opportunists. He had absolutely no power of his own and was treated as a kind of court jester -- but with a charisma and poetry that helped get groups together. But when his use was over, the opportunists censored his will and kicked his daughter to death (not the mark of a powerful politician).

Alternatively, there is a more standard position, which is that he was a general-poet, a great military strategist who used poetry to rally the troops for his own material gain (and no one kicked his daughter to death, she died naturally, it was all one happy family).

But for me, it really doesn't matter. History is useful, but irrelevant to Sufi reading.

And coming back to the Quran being true - why do you pray 5 times a day if you see the Quran like a a nursery rhyme.  I am sure if Jack & Jill nursery rhyme said Jack prayed one time a day, then you wouldnt pray just the once.  And if you see it as something different, then how do you know its not manmade?  

Oh I don't read any commandments  in nursery rhymes, nor in the Qur'an or sunnah. I don't obey the shariah in that sense Smiley

The shariah (wherever we find it) is not commandments but, rather, laws of how the mind/body/universe/soul is constructed that, when read correctly, allow us to realise what these things actually are.

So in this sense, I would be praying 5 times a day irrespective of whether I appeared to do so "physically" to a passer by -- because a 5-fold submission is how I understand the body to be constituted as a cosmology. Similarly, as a Sufi reader of Jack and Jill, I would never read a "command" within it -- but, in reading the rhyme as a Sufi -- extracting the light from it -- I would, like Jack&Jill-as-Adam/Eve and Hajar, being climbing up the hill (Safa)  then falling down (to Marwah) again in my search for "water" -- because ascend and descent are, for me, the nature of the human soul. Not a command, but a sort of metaphysics that I can't avoid following (like the law of gravity rather than a state law).

TT

Reply #171 - December 09, 2010, 02:15 AM

Quote from: The tailor
    Well, I'm sorry if I am endangering the purity of Islam by confusing it with my spiritual position Smiley Such a dainty little thing it is ... poor lil' defenseless Islam, never did anyone any harm, all molested and confused by the complicated muddying words of that nasty old Tailor ...

I don't actually care about the "purity" of Islam. It's just that non-Muslims - particularly of the "spiritual seeker" variety - might be inclined to be drawn into Islam through reading Qur'an-twisting philosophies such as yours and making the erroneous conclusion that Islam is a nice spiritual religion that would be worth joining. The population of Indonesia was initially persuaded to adopt a core "Muslim" identity largely by sufi missionaries who were easy going with alcohol and pork consumption and painted an Islamic veneer on existing animist and polytheistic beliefs and practices. Look at the place now. Contrast that with RUSSIA whose first Christian king was previously put off Islam by its ban on alcohol and pork which was honestly expounded to him by Muslims seeking to convert him to Islam. Russia is no paragon of western democratic values. However, imagine how history could have turned out if the west had had an Islamized Russia to contend with.

Well said. And will you stop pretending to yourself and others that your spiritual philosophy can seriously be justified by the Qur'an?

The mosque: the most epic display of collective douchbaggery, arrogance and delusion
     Reply #172 - December 09, 2010, 05:27 AM

I don't actually care about the "purity" of Islam. It's just that non-Muslims - particularly of the "spiritual seeker" variety - might be inclined to be drawn into Islam through reading Qur'an-twisting philosophies such as yours and making the erroneous conclusion that Islam is a nice spiritual religion that would be worth joining. The population of Indonesia was initially persuaded to adopt a core "Muslim" identity largely by sufi missionaries who were easy going with alcohol and pork consumption and painted an Islamic veneer on existing animist and polytheistic beliefs and practices. Look at the place now. Contrast that with RUSSIA whose first Christian king was previously put off Islam by its ban on alcohol and pork which was honestly expounded to him by Muslims seeking to convert him to Islam. Russia is no paragon of western democratic values. However, imagine how history could have turned out if the west had had an Islamized Russia to contend with.

Curious example: I am actually half Indonesian (my father is from a long line of Sufi Sheikhs in East Java -- he basically taught me everything I know) -- and half Russian (my mother's side). Having spent time in both places and now living in London, I can see lightness and darkness everywhere. I'd like both countries to get their acts together, really. Spiritually Indonesia is in problems -- but for other, primarily non-Islamic reasons.

Well said. And will you stop pretending to yourself and others that your spiritual philosophy can seriously be justified by the Qur'an?

It is curious that you employ the same command that the London Muslim used on me those months ago (that formed the blog piece): to "stop" -- and not just to stop talking to others, but to stop my practice at home as well.

I'm sorry it is upsetting enough to seem to warrant such a strong command. It's quite flattering that you think my reading could be so successful as to convert a single other human! For the record, my "supporters" were Sufi long before me and tend to teach me rather than me them -- or else ex-Muslims or secular/bohemian/kuffar style Muslims -- who are just interested in a different approach but would not in a million years "convert" to my way of thinking. Speaking to spiritual seekers who are not Muslim -- well, they generally don't enjoy what I write because it's too dense and wordy -- it's hardly Deepak Chopra, right? And whenever I've spoken to "proper" Muslims, I've got this same command: "stop".

Very well then. Because I love you -- just as I love the Muslims who told me to "stop" -- and I can see this disturbs you enough to issue such a strong command -- I will stop speaking about the Qur'an here -- for your command and your command alone.

So now I am censored by the Muslims from speaking -- and by the ex-Muslims from speaking. I guess that means I am not a Muslim and not an ex-Muslim. Just a drunk, a clown, a confusion, haram, a waste of space within the proper, serious debate you guys are having ...

You will here no more from me on verses on Qur'an. I like the people here, so will return, speak solely in terms of non-Islamic sources, to convey the same spiritual philosophy.

This is what I meant by saying to isLame -- my reading is not useful in this context -- and it would be better to have an opposite atheist reading, but that employs deeper literary and psychoanalytic techniques, psychoanalysing the madness of a deceived, ego-worshipping prophet. I would look to z10 and Kenan to provide such a reading, following Zizek.

It might be difficult to convince you that I have stopped pretending to "myself", however: as you can't see into my home to enforce your command and don't know who "I" am.  But, to put your mind at ease, why not just imagine I am just a drunk who shouldn't be taken seriously? You can't begrudge a drunk his own late night mumblings at the bar, surely ... And I will continue to speak to Sufis, with your permission -- they are just a bunch of drunks at the bar, like me -- so you ought not be upset by this prospect -- drunks enjoy a party sometimes and there is no compulsion in joining the party. Or would you go to each bar and censor each and every drunk you come across, lock them away until they become sober?

TT

Reply #173 - December 09, 2010, 05:45 AM

Spiritually Indonesia is in problems -- but for other, primarily non-Islamic reasons.

I am about to finish Zizek's latest - Living in the End Times and one of the issues he analyses is the impact of Anwar Congo &co as portrayed by a documentary Freemen: When Killers Make Movies. The obscenity of the fact that they are publicly celebrating their dirty secrets because that minimal level of public shame is suspended and the monstrous orgy of killing and torture can be enjoyed as a pleasure activity.

Zizek sees the starting point in identifying the culprit in "dislocating effects of capitalist globalization which, by undermining the symbolic efficacy of traditional ethical structures creates such a moral vacuum."

What is you take on that?

P.S.
    Please ignore D.H.'s request. Nomen est omen.
     Reply #174 - December 09, 2010, 06:33 AM

Firstly tailor. I did not "command" you to "stop" as the question mark at the end of the sentence testifies.

Quote from: The Tailor
    It's quite flattering that you think my reading could be so successful as to convert a single other human!

Take it as a compliment then.  To quote from a couple of googled articles:

The proportion of men to women seems to be almost equal and a significant number of them are middle-aged indi­viduals who lived through the hippie generation of the 1960s and 1970s. Disgusted with western materialism, they came to Islam in search of spir­itual enlightenment.Sufism plays a significant role in the conversion experiences of many people to Islam. In the group under study, 23 (33 percent) of the 70 British converts came to Islam through Sufism. Sufi groups seem to be attracting more converts in comparison with other Muslim groups in Britain. One such group is that of North Cyprus-based Naqshbandiyah Shaykh Nazim, who visits Britain on a regular basis. SOURCE

QUEST OF THE CONVERT WHY CHANGE?
    "There is no compulsion in religion," new Muslims quote from the Koran, keen to challenge preconceptions that Islam spreads most simply by the sword. They say the only notable aspect of the pressure to convert is its absence. Most Western converts are drawn to Islam through Sufism---the contemplative, mystical aspect of the faith.

Aliya Haeri, an American-born convert to Islam based in London, describes the process as "a search for God but not a religion". She says: "Sufism has a great emphasis on discovering personal freedom, a metaphysical quest. The more practices I took on, the more refined and subtle they became, the more my behaviour changed. My diet improved, I gave up occasional late hours socialising and relationships that lacked any commitment. I was starting to live like a Muslim. People who know me from the past have seen the transformation."
    SOURCE

Such people adopt a "Muslim" identity because their "misconceptions" about Islam have been "challenged"  by people like you who dress woolly unIslamic doctrines up in Islamic clothing.  This would not be a necessarily bad thing but for the fact that wherever a population comes to see itself as "Muslim" it will inevitably fall prey to the TRUE Islam as practiced by Muhammad and its followers - the Islam where "kill" does not mean "kiss" and "jihad" means killing the kafirs wherever they are found until they join Islam or agree to be jizya-paying dhimmis. It is the  Islam where the Qur'anic command to flog adulterers without pity means exactly what it says and the fire that awaits those who refuse to carry out such commands is a real one that sears the flesh for all eternity. As a part Indonesian I am sure you will have heard of the PEDRI MOVEMENT

And do you regard this sort of thing as a positive development in Indonesia?:

Wherever sufism leads, full-blown Islam follows - as sure as night follows day.

The mosque: the most epic display of collective douchbaggery, arrogance and delusion
     Reply #175 - December 09, 2010, 07:08 AM

I had the impression that DH's question mark was rhetorical: and the argument he/she puts next certainly seems to entail that it is a good idea to "stop". But if I was mistaken and DH thinks it is fine to keep quoting Qur'an, my apologies for the misreading. Nevertheless, he/she has convinced me to stop.

I'm not being sarcastic, even though it seems like it: I am perfectly serious.

Regarding a full answer to DH's objection -- I completely agree that Sufism will always lead to a form of fundamentalist literalist Islam. You give people poetry -- it will take less than a century for them to turn it into fascism. I know it, oh, how I know it.

This principle is, in fact, the basis of my new psychosexual Sufi gamebook (available at fernmind.com, all proceeds going to the Tailorite Ashram in Turkestan). It depicts a future Europe in which TAILORITE SUFISM has become the dominant religion -- and everything I have written on my blog has become the official dogma -- all my poetry has become literalised -- and any dissent leads to imprisonment and torture. The Tailorite warriors -- the so called Verandah Vanguard -- were once peaceful Dervish mystics -- but are, in this future world, now a kind of Tailorite SS.

The objective of the gamebook is to rebel against this cycle of Tailorism-Fascism. But how is that done? How could it be done in Indonesia? Buy the book to find out, not all information is free.

Regarding DH's photo -- the two girls at the end are conclusive: I am definitely in the wrong -- if Sufism leads to such stuff, it must be stamped out at once -- or at least spoken about only to Sufis who are in no danger of becoming like this ...

I mean -- just look into their menacing little eyes, robotic smiles and see their uniform headscarves -- and see the future hateful Kafir-killing, wife beating accepting, homophobic machines Islam is building in Indonesia! And all thanks to those pesky Sufi saints. Why, there're nothing less than

Reply #176 - December 09, 2010, 07:21 AM

Quote from: The tailor
    I had the impression that DH's question mark was rhetorical:

No it was to denote a question as opposed to, say, a "command".

and the argument he/she puts next certainly seems to entail that it is a good idea to "stop".

I think it would be

But if I was mistaken and DH thinks it is fine to keep quoting Qur'an

I don't think it is "fine" to twist the Qur'an to suit your own preferences. Not because I particularly disapprove of the unIslamic doctrines you propound - which seem innocuous enough - but that your twisting Qur'anic meanings to justify them could lead vulnerable non-Muslim potential converts to Islam to view it in a positive light that it certainly does not warrant.

The two girls at the end are conclusive: I am definitely in the wrong -- if Sufism leads to such stuff, it must be stamped out at once -- or at least spoken about only to Sufis who are in no danger of becoming like this ...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3481/3874573858_8c5a90c2e9.jpg

I mean -- just look into their menacing eyes and see their headscalfs -- and see the future hateful Kafir-killing, wife beating accepting, homophobic machines Islam is building in Indonesia! And all thanks to those pesky Sufi saints. Why, there're nothing less than....

So you are OK with young girls being attired in this fashion?

Did your mother convert to Islam from Christianity or other or no religion btw?

Reply #177 - December 09, 2010, 07:59 AM

TT... i find your dialog most interesting please continue,
    teshikir  hehe

Helen Keller
     Reply #178 - December 09, 2010, 08:08 AM

@Kenan

I am not sure if you are using this fact to condemn capitalism or not, but at any rate - charity is evil.

Yes. I simply interpreted that quote/paraphrase from Zizek to mean that capitalism has creates a kind of indifference on the part of the wealthier nations to the situation of the poorer ones. Hence, I cited the 'capitalistic' U.S. as an evidence to the contrary.

As for your statement that 'charity is evil,' I find it rather interesting. Surely it could not be evil to give someone what they need to survive when they have no means of procuring it for themselves?
     Reply #179 - December 09, 2010, 09:18 AM

Alright, cool. I'll get round to responding to this, but right now, I need to get back to studying John Locke and Thomas Hobbes.  grin12
  • Previous page 1 ... 4 5 67 8 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »