Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Omega Mobile theme: questions and/or problems.

(Read 6440 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Omega Mobile theme: questions and/or problems.
     OP - March 25, 2010, 12:20 AM

This theme is designed only for smartphones and is not really optimal for use on a standard screen, although you are welcome to use it on one if you like.

It is still a bit of a work in progress so any suggestions on improving its functionality are welcome.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Re: Omega Mobile theme: questions and/or problems.
     Reply #1 - March 27, 2010, 06:28 PM

Os, I can't find the thread where you asked for feedback on the mobile theme, so I've made a new home for it.

I've been using the mobile theme as well as the regular theme on my phone for a couple weeks now. The mobile theme is really helpful in some areas, but could also be improved if you're up for it.

The Good:
    * Thread layout is great. I like having the avatars, and the info is laid out much better now so it's easy to scroll through. Nice job on that.

* Resized images are great. I noticed on the normal theme the images get cut off on the right if they are too big, so having them fit on the mobile theme is great. I've only noticed once or twice when putting an image in square dimensions made it messed up. I remember you mentioning something about that, and it may be more difficult than it's worth to try resizing them dynamically, especially since it's so infrequently a problem.

* Top and bottom links are great, very useful.

* Same for collapsible stuff like the shoutbox.

Afro

Requests:
    * One of the biggest annoyances is the lack of the "Info box" on all pages. As far as I can tell it only shows up at the bottom of the board index. I'd love to see a smaller version at the top of ALL pages, maybe without the recent posts section. Basically what I want is to be able to get to unread posts and replies to my posts from anywhere. Usually I get to the site from a link in a topic notification email, so I go straight to a post and then have to get to the index to see new stuff.

* I'd like to have a theme changer on the mobile theme so I can switch back to normal if I want. If there is already one, or some trick for switching out of mobile theme, I haven't figured it out Tongue

One last request that isn't theme-related: Can new topic notification emails include the author like post reply emails do? As I mentioned I usually check emails first before logging on and it's nice to know who wrote what Smiley

That's about all the feedback I have so far. As I use it more I'll let you know if I notice anything else. Thanks for doing it btw, it's really helpful! Afro

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #2 - March 27, 2010, 06:31 PM

Oh I forgot to mention the forum layout is good as well, as in the lists of topics. Concise and easy to scroll through Afro

Reply #3 - March 27, 2010, 09:18 PM

Os, I can't find the thread where you asked for feedback on the mobile theme, so I've made a new home for it.

I merged them. Smiley

I've been using the mobile theme as well as the regular theme on my phone for a couple weeks now. The mobile theme is really helpful in some areas, but could also be improved if you're up for it.

I'm definitely up for it. That's why I needed feedback from people who are using it regularly. The more, the merrier. Having a good mobile theme is going to be more and more important as mobile devices improve.

The Good:
    * Thread layout is great. I like having the avatars, and the info is laid out much better now so it's easy to scroll through. Nice job on that.

* Resized images are great. I noticed on the normal theme the images get cut off on the right if they are too big, so having them fit on the mobile theme is great. I've only noticed once or twice when putting an image in square dimensions made it messed up. I remember you mentioning something about that, and it may be more difficult than it's worth to try resizing them dynamically, especially since it's so infrequently a problem.

Dynamic resizing with accurate proportions would require additional javascript, which is going to slow down page load times. Probably better not to worry about it for now.

* Top and bottom links are great, very useful.

I thought they would be. I'm planning on having them on all themes, not just the mobile theme.

Requests:
    * One of the biggest annoyances is the lack of the "Info box" on all pages. As far as I can tell it only shows up at the bottom of the board index. I'd love to see a smaller version at the top of ALL pages, maybe without the recent posts section. Basically what I want is to be able to get to unread posts and replies to my posts from anywhere. Usually I get to the site from a link in a topic notification email, so I go straight to a post and then have to get to the index to see new stuff.

That is accessible from the drop menu in the main menu bar. At the moment it is using the same menu layout as our site default theme, but I'm going to change that to something more logical (same as Mystic Multi theme, basically).

This brings up something I have been wondering about. With a mobile you have to make onscreen selections with your fingertips, right? Are all the spacings adequate for selecting one link without hitting others? I can easily increase spacings or rearrange content if they are not.

* I'd like to have a theme changer on the mobile theme so I can switch back to normal if I want. If there is already one, or some trick for switching out of mobile theme, I haven't figured it out Tongue

At the moment you can only do that via your profile, but I can easily add a link to the info centre on the main index page.

One last request that isn't theme-related: Can new topic notification emails include the author like post reply emails do? As I mentioned I usually check emails first before logging on and it's nice to know who wrote what Smiley

Shouldn't be that difficult. I'll look into it.

Reply #4 - March 27, 2010, 09:33 PM

This brings up something I have been wondering about. With a mobile you have to make onscreen selections with your fingertips right? Are all the spacings adequate for selecting one link withou hitting others? I can easily increase spacings or rearrange content if they are not

Yes, it's all touch. My touch screen is usually pretty accurate, but it could use a bit more space between the one-character links, like page numbers. And speaking of that, the next and previous links are a great idea, but I'd also like to see on the topic lists either a link to the last page in a thread or a link to the first unread post so I don't have to try clicking a page number on a topic where I've already read the first few pages.

Other than that I haven't had a problem tapping the links accurately Smiley

Reply #5 - March 27, 2010, 09:49 PM

I tried using the dropdown arrow on the main menu bar but all it did was jump me to the bottom of the page Huh?

Reply #6 - March 27, 2010, 09:50 PM

On the topic listing the date at the right, in the last post column, will take you to the last page of the thread.

I'll recode that link so it goes to the first unread post as that would be better.

Reply #7 - March 27, 2010, 09:51 PM

I tried using the dropdown arrow on the main menu bar but all it did was jump me to the bottom of the page Huh?

The theme has drop menus under most of the menu tabs, just like the full sized themes. Don't they work on a mobile?

Reply #8 - March 27, 2010, 10:33 PM

Yes, it's all touch. My touch screen is usually pretty accurate, but it could use a bit more space between the one-character links, like page numbers. And speaking of that, the next and previous links are a great idea, but I'd also like to see on the topic lists either a link to the last page in a thread or a link to the first unread post so I don't have to try clicking a page number on a topic where I've already read the first few pages.

Other than that I haven't had a problem tapping the links accurately Smiley

Good suggestions. I normally have to use the arrow buttons to select the page numbers. Doesn't really bother me though. Would be handy if the thread links would take you to the first unread post.
     Reply #9 - March 27, 2010, 10:40 PM

Well I can't take a screenshot without a pc apparently Roll Eyes

On the top menu bar, on the far right (after help and logout) is a down arrow. Clicking it takes me to the bottom of the page. Am I clicking the wrong thing?

Reply #10 - March 27, 2010, 10:44 PM

use a camera?
     Reply #11 - March 27, 2010, 10:44 PM

Yes that's what it is supposed to do. Hang on while I make a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

Reply #12 - March 27, 2010, 10:51 PM

Here:

Reply #13 - March 27, 2010, 10:52 PM

What theme are you using in that pic Os? I don't see that one in the options, unless I missed it.
     Reply #14 - March 27, 2010, 10:52 PM

use a camera?

Lol, yeah I have a camera on my phone Wink

I guess Os knows what I'm talking about though

Reply #15 - March 27, 2010, 10:53 PM

Is that a floating window? How do I open it?

Reply #16 - March 27, 2010, 10:54 PM

What theme are you using in that pic Os? I don't see that one in the options, unless I missed it.

That's the same mobile theme. It has six different colour options. The selector for those is at the bottom of the info centre on the forum index page.

Reply #17 - March 27, 2010, 11:01 PM

Same as the drop menus on the big themes. It should open when you have your finger hovering over the tabs, then you should be able

Bugger. I just thought of something. That isn't going to work because it relies on you not breaking hover to keep the drop menu open, but you then have no way of clicking a link without lifting your finger off the screen, which will make the drop menu disappear. Hmmmmmmmmm. 

Ok, this needs revision.  yes

Reply #18 - March 27, 2010, 11:06 PM

Actually I can't even "hover" because long-pressing a link brings up the browser's options, such as open in new window, bookmark, etc.

Reply #19 - March 27, 2010, 11:09 PM

K. See this is why I need feedback. I'm only designing this thing on a standard browser with the theme set to mobile width.

Ok, I'll sort out some better options with this in mind.  Afro

Reply #20 - March 27, 2010, 11:10 PM

How about if we click on it, it brings up the dropdown? Rather then hovering.
     Reply #21 - March 27, 2010, 11:11 PM

At the bottom of the forum index is a collapsible Information Center. I was thinking if you put that at the top of every page with just this part:

Information Center
    Hello Luthiel:  you have 37 messages, 0 are new
    Unread since last visit  |  New replies to your posts

Reply #22 - March 27, 2010, 11:16 PM

How about if we click on it, it brings up the dropdown? Rather then hovering.

Possible. It would require having dud links that go nowhere on the main menu, with all the selectable options in the drop menus. Also requires a bit of javascript, but it's not hard to do. That's the way I've done all the additional menu options in Profile and Messages anyway.

And yes, I can sort the unread links on every page. That one is easy. I wouldn't bother putting the private messages link on every page because it is in the main menu anyway and will tell you when you have new private messages (like "Messages [2]").

Reply #23 - March 27, 2010, 11:42 PM

Well what do you know, I decided to try highlighting the links with my keyboard and it worked! I let it sit on the bookmarks tab, and th dropdown popped up and I could arrow through the links. Yay!

Reply #24 - March 27, 2010, 11:48 PM

Cool. So I assume that means you would have to go through all the tabs one by one though, which is still not optimal. Or is it? Any better suggestions are worth having.

Reply #25 - March 27, 2010, 11:50 PM

Considering most people with touchscreen don't have keyboards I cant see it being very optimal. Plus the point of touchscreen is to reduce the need for a keyboard when possible.
     Reply #26 - March 27, 2010, 11:55 PM

It's easy enough for me, and really all I wanted was quick access to new posts. Peruvian is right though, it won't work for phones with no keyboard. It also means I have to have my keyboard open, which I usually do anyway but still.

What if clicking a tab only shows the drop down, and the tab itself is one of the drop down options? It would require 2 clicks to use a tab, but that's not too bad.

Reply #27 - March 27, 2010, 11:57 PM

Yes that's doable. Other option would be to run them like the profile options: one big list that pops up on click, sort of like a sitemap.

Reply #28 - March 28, 2010, 12:06 AM

Think it might be easier to just have dropdowns without the hover. Don't wanna overwhelm people with a huge list of options.
     Reply #29 - March 28, 2010, 12:22 AM

I'll recode the menu with this: http://www.stunicholls.com/menu/simple.html

Although of course I'll still be using the existing styling so it wont look nearly as gruesome as Stu's version.

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »