Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
April 16, 2024, 07:25 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: London seminar in memory of 'honour' killimg victim

(Read 3081 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • London seminar in memory of 'honour' killimg victim
     OP - March 16, 2010, 03:59 PM

The Organisation of Women's Freedom in Iraq are holding a seminar in memory of Du'a Khalil Aswad , who was stoned to death in a so called homour killing , it's at the S.O.A.S  College buiding in Russell Square on Thursday 25/3 from 5pm to 7pm , full details here -   www.equalityiniraq.com

This organisation is new to me but their web site looks interesting .On this subject , has anyone got any good suggestions for another term for 'honour killings' ? I really resent these cowardly bullies misappropriating that word to make their murders sound more respectable ...
  • Re: London seminar in memory of 'honour' killimg victim
     Reply #1 - March 16, 2010, 04:03 PM

I think they should only put the word honour in quotation marks to signify that is what they perceive to be honourable, but as we all know it is clearly the opposite.

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #2 - March 16, 2010, 08:57 PM

How about switching the word "killing" with the more accurate word "murder?"

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #3 - March 17, 2010, 03:21 AM

lol I came here to post that

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #4 - March 17, 2010, 04:01 AM

The Kurds better sort out this problem soon. One the whole , they are more secular than Iraqi Arabs yet their communities are so infected with tribalism and patriarchy.

Thanks for the website aife  Afro  It's such organizations that gives me hope in Iraq. I'll throw in 10 quid and forward the website to everybody I know. I might have become a little detached from Iraq recently but I've vowed that I will always help around to the best of my ability.

It's very sad to see a country that was once, along Lebanon, the most liberal and socially progressive of all Arab countries turn out to be what it is now. By percentage, we had the largest female workforce in the region during the 70s.
     Reply #5 - March 17, 2010, 05:34 AM

The Organisation of Women's Freedom in Iraq are holding a seminar in memory of Du'a Khalil Aswad , who was stoned to death in a so called homour killing , it's at the S.O.A.S  College buiding in Russell Square on Thursday 25/3 from 5pm to 7pm , full details here -   www.equalityiniraq.com

This organisation is new to me but their web site looks interesting .On this subject , has anyone got any good suggestions for another term for 'honour killings' ? I really resent these cowardly bullies misappropriating that word to make their murders sound more respectable ...

I've always hated that term too. "Dishonourable murder" would be more appropriate.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #6 - March 18, 2010, 10:08 PM

bollocks! Im flying out on the 20th for a month or I would have definitely gone along to this.
    Would have got a t-shirt made up. Taking its lead from Luthiel there, ' Its not Honor, its Horror. Its not Killing its Murder.'
    Shame I cant be there.

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »