Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Berbs Blog, much madness within

(Read 169619 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 3 4 56 7 ... 46 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Berbs Blog, much madness within
     Reply #120 - February 14, 2008, 01:58 AM

Actually the Roman gladiatorial games were originally & always  a form of human sacrifice. The origins of the games was as private family rites for the dead. When a prominent Roman who could afford to do so died, he would be provided at his funeral w/ gladiators. The death & generally agonism of the two or more competators would be thought propitiate for the failures of the dead before the gods.

This actually was begun by the Etruscans, later on in the time of the Republic, prominent Romans would present the gladiators in big public  spectacles before potential voters. Bread & circuses. Julius Caesar came up w/ the inovation of offering such games on the anniversary of the death of some ancestor. Thus he could find a legitimate basis for such games almost any time. He didn't have to hope some relative would die merely so he could win an election.

Caesar became the hight priest or pontifex maximus of the Roman religion. His heir, Augustus, also inherited this office & presided over all gladiatorial games in the purple pontifex toga. No one else was allowed to have such games anymore, & the emperor offered the sacrifice on behalf of all Rome. They all did so until the time of Constantine, who abandoned the Pontiff title & it was subsequently assumed by the popes.

Incidently, the Roman Colluseum was probably built w/ the booty taken from the Temple of Jerusalem in the reign of Emperor Titus. It is a strange ironic fact that thus the may Christians martyred there were thus connected to the sacrifice of the Temple.

Human sacrifice is close to being the most universal of human customs. They have even found human bones in the area of the alter of Temple of Artemis in Ephesus.

As far as I am concerned, anyone who wishes to claim that the Druids were somehow exempt from this general truth, the onus seems to be on the denier. Claiming the affirmative claim in this case has the burden of proof is rather like saying that the claim that the Druids had noses needs to be proven. Some truth claims are so common & typical that they are entitled to the assumption of truth.

"We must rid ourselves once and for all of the Quaker-Papist babble about the sanctity of human life."  --Leon Trotsky
     Reply #121 - February 14, 2008, 02:13 AM

As far as I am concerned, anyone who wishes to claim that the Druids were somehow exempt from this general truth, the onus seems to be on the denier. Claiming the affirmative claim in this case has the burden of proof is rather like saying that the claim that the Druids had noses needs to be proven. Some truth claims are so common & typical that they are entitled to the assumption of truth.

Wow, in twisting about the burden of proof you have ultimately created a hasty generalization. Actually, there is no wow there... it is no surprise.

\\\\\\\"The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong.\\\\\\\"-Carl Jung
     Reply #122 - February 14, 2008, 02:45 AM

Wow, in twisting about the burden of proof you have ultimately created a hasty generalization. Actually, there is no wow there... it is no surprise.

Are you deny the ubequity of human sacrifice in ancient times?

Would you then in fact insist that I need to prove all Druids had noses?

I have heard numerous desriptions of druidic human sacrifice over the years, I have never read a serious scholar of the subject who denied the custom. Once something is commonly accepted, the denier of that something has the burden of proof.

"We must rid ourselves once and for all of the Quaker-Papist babble about the sanctity of human life."  --Leon Trotsky
     Reply #123 - February 14, 2008, 03:08 AM

Are you deny the ubequity of human sacrifice in ancient times?

It has nothing to do with denial, it has to do with your line of reasoning.

Quote from: IHSoter
    Would you then in fact insist that I need to prove all Druids had noses?

I fail to see the relevance. I am not about to spend my time explaining how wrong you are in your red herring.

Quote from: IHSoter
    I have heard numerous desriptions of druidic human sacrifice over the years, I have never read a serious scholar of the subject who denied the custom. Once something is commonly accepted, the denier of that something has the burden of proof.

What serious scholar is this? Can we discuss the content? No this has to do with details, it is always up to the positive assertion to answer any criticism. Is it the Europeans they are talking about or specifically druids? Anything I have read about druidic sacrifice is from Roman accounts, there is no archeological evidence to say as such about that specific group. I am sure there is a possibility, but certainly nothing to be said with an ounce of conviction.

\\\\\\\"The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong.\\\\\\\"-Carl Jung
  • Update on the asshole ex
     Reply #124 - February 14, 2008, 11:35 AM

@ you two, take the debate elsewhere.  whistling2

=========================================================

Ok, update on asshole ex, he actually texted ME yesterday, on the kids phone but directed at ME.  The silly fucker just can't control himself.

He sent me a text calling me a nasty nasty liar, I can only assume that the reports from my sons teachers have arrived at his doorstep, and he realises that he is totally fucked and none of it bodes well for him.

The reports detail everything my son says about his father, and why my son wishes to murder me and his brothers and sisters.  Plus the effects of access with his dad.

This has obviously infuriated the twat enough to send me a few text messages insulting me, that I can produce in court to show he is still a serious threat. Fingers crossed the judge starts paying heed, one of the conditions of access is my ex accepting that our son has a behaviour disorder, which the text messages clearly show he hasn't.

Just called my solicitor, waiting for them to call back. 

Roll Eyes

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #125 - February 14, 2008, 11:46 AM

The great thing about idiots is that you can usually rely on them to shoot themselves in the foot.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #126 - February 14, 2008, 11:48 AM

The great thing about idiots is that you can usually rely on them to shoot themselves in the foot.

True true.  cool2

Reply #127 - February 15, 2008, 01:58 PM

Exxxccellent!!  signmuahaha

Your ex seems to have inadvertently provided you with some ammo!! Cheesy
     Reply #128 - February 15, 2008, 09:27 PM

Welcome to the blog of the worrying warrior

This blog will consist of random thoughts, that aren't thought out properly and need to be let out to come to a conclusion.   Tongue

Don't expect rationality, don't expect intelligence, and don't expect consistancy in my thoughts, and you won't be disappointed.

She has sexy feet!
  • Re: Update on the asshole ex
     Reply #129 - February 15, 2008, 09:29 PM

@ you two, take the debate elsewhere.  whistling2

=========================================================

Ok, update on asshole ex, he actually texted ME yesterday, on the kids phone but directed at ME.  The silly fucker just can't control himself.

He sent me a text calling me a nasty nasty liar, I can only assume that the reports from my sons teachers have arrived at his doorstep, and he realises that he is totally fucked and none of it bodes well for him.

The reports detail everything my son says about his father, and why my son wishes to murder me and his brothers and sisters.  Plus the effects of access with his dad.

This has obviously infuriated the twat enough to send me a few text messages insulting me, that I can produce in court to show he is still a serious threat. Fingers crossed the judge starts paying heed, one of the conditions of access is my ex accepting that our son has a behaviour disorder, which the text messages clearly show he hasn't.

Just called my solicitor, waiting for them to call back. 

Roll Eyes

By the way in the UK I don't think you can use data, which you've gather such as phone tappings.
     Reply #130 - February 15, 2008, 09:31 PM

It's not phone tapping you wally. It's text messages sent to her children's phone in her house. She's their legal guardian and as such is allowed to see their texts. It'll be bloody good evidence in court.

Reply #131 - February 15, 2008, 09:42 PM

it is not a phone tapping what you suggest is something to do with information gathering

a friend of mine in liverpool was threatend with death via text message, she went to the police they cautioned the culprits with threatening behaviour using/via electronic device (sumat like that, this can also be done if you are threatend over the internet or stalked via this method), they are not allowed to contact her by any means possible or come within a certain distance of her, if they do they are up on charges.
     Reply #132 - February 15, 2008, 10:13 PM

It's not phone tapping you wally. It's text messages sent to her children's phone in her house. She's their legal guardian and as such is allowed to see their texts. It'll be bloody good evidence in court.

Oh right, I didn't read that properly, I thought she tapped her husbands phone...

Nevermind!
     Reply #133 - February 15, 2008, 10:26 PM

Oh right, I didn't read that properly, I thought she tapped her husbands phone...

Nevermind!

Roll Eyes Really, that's some fantasy land you live in.

Reply #134 - February 15, 2008, 10:28 PM

Nevermind!

Roll Eyes Really, that's some fantasy land you live in.

Yeah sure.
     Reply #135 - February 16, 2008, 04:19 PM

This song makes me sad for how my parents failed to raise me, yet reminds me of my love for my daughter and how important showing it is:

Daughters - John Mayer

"Daughters"

I know a girl
    She puts the color inside of my world
    But she's just like a maze
    Where all of the walls all continually change
    And I've done all I can
    To stand on her steps with my heart in my hands
    Now I'm starting to see
    Maybe it's got nothing to do with me

Fathers, be good to your daughters
    Daughters will love like you do
    Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
    So mothers, be good to your daughters too

Oh, you see that skin?
    It's the same she's been standing in
    Since the day she saw him walking away
    Now she's left
    Cleaning up the mess he made

So fathers, be good to your daughters

Boys, you can break
    You'll find out how much they can take
    Boys will be strong
    And boys soldier on
    But boys would be gone without the warmth from
    A womans good, good heart

On behalf of every man
    Looking out for every girl
    You are the god and the weight of her world

So fathers, be good to your daughters
    [x3]

Tell me those aren't beautiful lyrics?  Cry

Reply #136 - February 16, 2008, 08:43 PM

I just had an interesting conversation with my sister, the youngest full sister, four yrs my junior.

I haven't really had much to do with her in the past year or more because I was very angry with her, even now I am very unsure as to whether I should even be giving her a door into my life again, so I am wary of her.

Anyway we have spoken twice in the last month, her begging my forgiveness, and me dwelling on whether I can.  She even asks me to forgive me father, she tells me that he is dying, his diabetes has him almost blind right now and that I should make peace if only for his sake, and of course the devestation I will feel if I don't make peace before he dies.

(oddly when I was 18 I had a recurring nightmare for months that would leave me heartbroken when I awoke.  In it I would see my father who I hadn't spoken with for a few years - this was true at the time - we were in morocco and I would see him on the walkway that looked over the ocean.  He would smile and wave to me to come over, and I would go to him, but as I would reach him he would be shot and fall into my arms, and die before I could seek his forgiveness, I would wake in pieces with my face and pillow wet from all the tears)

Should I make peace with my father, he will accept me as a bad muslim and doesn't need to be made to accept my apostasy, which he hasn't yet?  I have been thinking about this alot since she came back into my life, I am torn.  I am so angry and hurt, I feel so betrayed by him and let down.  I feel so much anger, and I know that for him to accept me I must be something I am not, at least in name only.

So many other ex muslims here they play the part for the sake of their family, and if my father is ill and dying, do I do wrong by holding an anger and hurt that wil never be healed, until it is too late?

(this isn't the interesting conversation, infact I wil mull that over before laying it out instead, right now this is what I want to talk about)

I love my father, but I am flat and numb from all he has done, all the ways he failed me, all the ways he set me up to be this woman so incapable of loving herself, the way he turned his back on me when I needed him, when my ex was abusing me and he would send me back to him.

What would you do in my place?  Cry

Reply #137 - February 16, 2008, 08:59 PM

I can tell you what I would do in your place, but not what you should do.  Because of course, I would tell my father to take a running jump with himself, but just because a hot headed person like me would do it, does not make it good advice for you to do.  OTOH, it may not be wise either to accept a reconciliation under terms which mean you have to lie about your apostacy.  Would that be good for your mental health?  Do you really even feel any forgiveness or wish to reconcile for your own sake, or is it just pressure to please other people? What effect would it have, if any, on your children? 

These are just suggestions as to what to ask yourself, I'm not in anyway pre-judging what your answer should be.  I'm not a fit person to anyway, I've cut people dead on the street for far less serious things than what your father did, so who am I to advise you?

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #138 - February 16, 2008, 09:07 PM

No Cheetah, I don't feel ready to forgive, and I feel really angry that I have to pretend to be a bad muslim if I want peace with him, rather than be accepted for who I am by the man who sired me.

The fact that I become a nobody based on an irrational reason, It angers me almost as much as the things I still carry in my heart against him.

But if he is dying, it could be too late, and then I may not be able to forgive myself.

I can't ask my kids to lie for me either, and they are fully aware that I am not a muslim.

I tried to explain this to my sister who actually suggested I play the bad muslim rather than keep making him face my apostasy, that was after she dismissed my apostasy with a "You are just angry and depressed, you are still a muslim inside".

Reply #139 - February 16, 2008, 09:15 PM

So, if you're not ready to forgive, and your father is not ready to accept you as you are, what really is the point?  To please your sister?  Just in case you change your mind after he's gone?  Both are bad reasons, IMO. 

I would look at it this way, it is your father's life that is (allegedly) nearing its end, and it is his fault that you two are estranged.  It is up to him to effect a reconciliation, by for example, apologising to you, and accepting your apostasy or whatever else you decide to do with your life.  If he can't do that, then it is his loss.

You may want to get advise off someone more level headed and less hard hearted though, Dio or Osmanthus or someone, because I know if that was me I would tell my sister to get lost.

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #140 - February 16, 2008, 09:33 PM

You calling me level-headed? I should sue you for defamation. 001_tongue

If it was me I'd try to drop the crap that's eating me up inside, simply because it's useless and bad for your health, but I'd also tell him he had shit for brains and needed to pull his head out of his arse if he wanted my respect.

Reply #141 - February 16, 2008, 09:46 PM

You calling me level-headed? I should sue you for defamation. 001_tongue

To be strictly accurate, I only said you were more level headed than me, which is a bit like saying you are more atheist than the Pope..so you can drop the libel suit now. Tongue

Reply #142 - February 16, 2008, 11:29 PM

Re: Berbs Dad,

Personally, If I was in your situation... I would go see my dad. My theory is they are not pissed with you, because they hate you, they are pissed with you because they are indoctrinated into a close minded narrow belief system. They really think you will go to hell. Its deep belief they have. So in my situation I would think, their emotions are clouded by (erroneous beliefs) its not they are bad people. So I would forgive my dad, and plus I like closure.

At the end of the day, I think ultimately its up to you, and also you have to think about another persons feelings too.

Anyway what ever choice you make, I hope things work out for you.
     Reply #143 - February 17, 2008, 10:24 AM

Berbs, your FATHER ought to ask YOUR forgiveness.
    My father tried to "make up" with me, shortly before he died, by for the first time in my life trying to talk to me, ask about my life... and I rejected him. He died a week later.
    25 years of neglect, insults and hurt can´t just be painted over and forgotten without an honest appraisal and a "forgive me".

NO WAY should you play-act the moslem, just to please HIM - WHY SHOULD YOU? HE is depriving himself of your love and company by demanding you be someone you are not!!
    Love can ONLY be based on honesty.

You CAN, if you can, forgive him - that is something you do for yourself. But you should NOT start off with new lies, that would in themselves VALIDATE all the wrong he did to you.

NO.

Be open for reconciliation, by all means. You can go to him - but stay true to who YOU are.
     Reply #144 - February 17, 2008, 04:53 PM

Re: Berbs Dad,

Personally, If I was in your situation... I would go see my dad. My theory is they are not pissed with you, because they hate you, they are pissed with you because they are indoctrinated into a close minded narrow belief system. They really think you will go to hell. Its deep belief they have. So in my situation I would think, their emotions are clouded by (erroneous beliefs) its not they are bad people. So I would forgive my dad, and plus I like closure.

Mate, I don't think you get it, they are not pissed with me, they want me to come over, it's not about them forgiving me, it's about ME forgiving them.  How come everyone esle knew what I was saying except for you?

My parents won't accept my apostasy, they think I am crazy so not to be judged. Roll Eyes  Just a bad muslima going through a crisis brought on my an abusive ex husband, which unhinged my mind lol

This is about me being pissed at them, about not being able to let go of the past and the anger that I feel towards them. 

Can I forgive them? can I put it all behind me for the sake of my "dying" father?  can I stop trying to make them accept the fact that I am sane and an ex muslim?

I couldn't even get my younger sister to accept that on the phone yesterday, much like them she dismissed it as a phase of anger and depression.    finmad

At the end of the day, I think ultimately its up to you, and also you have to think about another persons feelings too.

Anyway what ever choice you make, I hope things work out for you.

Do you forget my MBTI type or something?  there isn't a type as forgiving as mine, or that thinks of other peoples feelings as much as I do.

However I have changed now, I am capable of not forgiving, my ex taught me that.

Reply #145 - February 17, 2008, 05:25 PM

I am somewhat ambivalent about the whole forgiveness concept. 

I believe in letting go of anger and resentment, because the alternative is having certain people who have hurt me in my thoughts all the time. When it comes to true forgiveness, I am only able to forgive if the other person is truly repentant. This means that someone knows exactly how much hurt they have caused, are sincerely sorry and have mended their ways.

The only true apology is mending one's ways. Without this, "sorry" is just an empty sound. 

If we could live without passion, maybe we would know some kind of peace. But we would be hollow. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank. Without passion, we would be truly dead.

-
    The Quickest Path to Hate is True Love Betrayed.
     Reply #146 - February 17, 2008, 05:28 PM

Mate, I don't think you get it, they are not pissed with me, they want me to come over, it's not about them forgiving me, it's about ME forgiving them.  How come everyone esle knew what I was saying except for you?

Am a lazy reader.

My parents won't accept my apostasy, they think I am crazy so not to be judged. Roll Eyes  Just a bad muslima going through a crisis brought on my an abusive ex husband, which unhinged my mind lol

How do you feel?

I think for them there rationalization is perfectly acceptable. Even though you might assume it is a false rationalization they have. It's just something humans do to make order in their minds. Should you really care how your family members justify your emotions and lifestyle? The only way I can see this changing is, if you show them you are not any of the things they assume you to be. Show them, a person is not "bad" for leaving Islam, show them you can still be a good person and (perhaps) even better as a non-Muslim. But then again I can see how this might piss you off, if they expect you to show traditional Islamic "modesty" by covering up, or them expecting you to act like a Muslim female. 

This is about me being pissed at them, about not being able to let go of the past and the anger that I feel towards them.

Well, you gave your husband so many chances, why not give a chance to your father, I know you said he kept sending you back to your abusive husband, maybe he felt helpless and didn't know what to do, and maybe thought things might work out. In my opinion one should always forgive parents, as they are really an extension of you. If my mum is hurting, this also hurts me (I mean in the emotional sense) so I would try to fix the problem. 

Can I forgive them? can I put it all behind me for the sake of my "dying" father?  can I stop trying to make them accept the fact that I am sane and an ex muslim?

You can do somethings, you don't need to do everything at once. If your father is dying... I think you should go see him irrespective of what has happened in the past. I know its easy for me to say this, I am sure its hard. I mean do you want to be 60 thinking about if you would have ever reconciled with your farther if you had gone to see him when you had the chance?

I couldn't even get my younger sister to accept that on the phone yesterday, much like them she dismissed it as a phase of anger and depression.

Yes, well its not easy for her to accept that you've rejected everything they stand for... Don't you see how much Islam matters to them? they feel betrayed.

Do you forget my MBTI type or something?  there isn't a type as forgiving as mine, or that thinks of other peoples feelings as much as I do.

However I have changed now, I am capable of not forgiving, my ex taught me that.

If your ex taught you that, then why are you turning into something you despise? Just go see your dad, that is my advice... But ultimately it is upto you.
     Reply #147 - February 26, 2008, 12:47 PM

He said "well as my wife she no longer needs to try and impress other men, which is why I will MAKE her wear a hijab", he looked perplexed when I replied "who said anything about impressing anyone, what about she just doesn't want to wear it because it's hot, it's itchy, and constrictive, how about you test it for a day"

I asked him if he could imagine what it's like for a woman to be standing in the heat, wearing those things, looking at the man with his head uncovered and breeze cooling him down, could he begin to fathom how resentful and unfair it would seem to her at times, and how much she may hate being a female just because of this.  Roll Eyes

Consider men generaly have more upperbody muscles then women it would be even a greater burden for him. If women are finding it to hot, then he would be boiling.

I love my father, but I am flat and numb from all he has done, all the ways he failed me, all the ways he set me up to be this woman so incapable of loving herself, the way he turned his back on me when I needed him, when my ex was abusing me and he would send me back to him.

What would you do in my place?  Cry

Casn’t tell you what you should do. But maybe you should talk to him, or maybe in the future you will regret that you didn’t have done so.

1939, T.S. Eliot declared: “When a word acquires a universally sacred character . . . , as has today the word democracy, I begin to wonder, whether, by all it attempts to mean, it still means anything at all.”
     Reply #148 - February 28, 2008, 04:45 PM

I should have updated to let you now that I decided not to go down the route of forgiveness cloaked in pretence.

=================================================

I felt fear like I haven't ever felt before today.  Not even when I have been in danger have I ever felt fear like this.  My 5yr old was walking ahead of me on the way back from school and I was focused on the 4yr old and the naughty 9yr old and he bloody stepped out on to the main road and was walking out in front of a speeding car.

I swear my heart jumped so badly, time really did seem to slow down, I ran out and grabbed him back but I was so shaken uo I became emotional.

Kids are so draining, the responsibility.....arghhhhhhh  Cry

Reply #149 - February 28, 2008, 04:52 PM

I should have updated to let you now that I decided not to go down the route of forgiveness cloaked in pretence.

=================================================

I felt fear like I haven't ever felt before today.  Not even when I have been in danger have I ever felt fear like this.  My 5yr old was walking ahead of me on the way back from school and I was focused on the 4yr old and the naughty 9yr old and he bloody stepped out on to the main road and was walking out in front of a speeding car.

I swear my heart jumped so badly, time really did seem to slow down, I ran out and grabbed him back but I was so shaken uo I became emotional.

Kids are so draining, the responsibility.....arghhhhhhh  Cry

as to 1) - YOU can forgive your father (if you feel ready for it - only then is it real and healing)... HE has NOTHING to forgive you for. It´s HIS choice, whether he proves himself worthy of his daughter´s presence in his life - he has to accept her the way she is.

as to 2) - as for your kids... bummer! Am glad nothing serious happened. It´s probably good, mum´s aren´t always around to see what their kids do... small miracles, that we survive childhood, anyway. When I think of all the dangerous stuff I did.... and I was a well-behaved, easy kid! Of course, we catholics believe in guardian angels... just today, I remember that classical pic we had in our nursery, of the little brother and sister walking hand in hand and alone over a dangerously narrow bridge over a fuming river, and the angel walking behind, watching them... sorry, I know, this doesn´t speak to you, Berbs. Just rambling.
  • Previous page 1 ... 3 4 56 7 ... 46 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »