Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Poll

• Question: How many of you are smokers?  (Voting closed: March 11, 2010, 06:45 AM)
  • Yes - 9 (23.7%)
  • Time to time - 7 (18.4%)
  • No - 22 (57.9%)
  • Total Voters: 38

Topic: How many of you smoke cigarettes?

(Read 30095 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: How many of you smoke cigarettes?
     Reply #30 - March 08, 2010, 12:41 AM

Well Sheesha is an essential part of Egyptian culture. I lived there for year and everybody smokes them. Recently, there has been a surge in Iraq too in that regard. With the religious militias most liquor stores have been forced to go underground so this is the only "Islamically approved" release the poor people there have.
     Reply #31 - March 08, 2010, 12:51 AM

They're so smooth. You can smoke then all day.

"...every imperfection in man is a bond with heaven..." - Karl Marx
     Reply #32 - March 08, 2010, 01:06 AM

I said time to time because I'm more of a social smoker.  At times I can't stand the smell of cigarettes but at other times I'll be working away at my computer and BANG! out of nowhere I get this incredible craving for nicotine.

I do have periods when I'm under a lot of stress where I will end up going out and buying a pack to keep me calm at work.

I love sheesha but it gives me an incredible migrane headache in a way that nothing else does.  Damn annoying as I love sitting at the sheesha cafe with my book, sheesha and a cup of coffee.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #33 - March 08, 2010, 05:42 AM

I used to be a chain smoker but have cut down now to no more than one a day.

It strikes me as hilarious that some people can be so horrified by smoking. Yes, smoking will endanger health for some smokers, yes, it will probably result in some form of cancer or mortifying disease.

However, and this is the crucial point, whether you're a smoker or a gym-junkie, every single person will die. Smokers just get to do what they like doing before it happens.

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #34 - March 08, 2010, 07:09 AM

Don't smoke.  Kissed a girl that did smoke and tasted nasty, now I go for the non smokers. Tried smoking a cigar once but I was so drunk I tried inhaling it like a bong hit.  Got such a nicotine high I couldn't feel my arms and ended up throwing up all over the bar.  Never again. 

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #35 - March 08, 2010, 08:17 AM

It strikes me as hilarious that some people can be so horrified by smoking. Yes, smoking will endanger health for some smokers, yes, it will probably result in some form of cancer or mortifying disease.

However, and this is the crucial point, whether you're a smoker or a gym-junkie, every single person will die. Smokers just get to do what they like doing before it happens.

My aversion has nothing to do with fear of illness or death. I just can't stand the smell of tobacco. I find it nasty and gross, and when my hair and clothes smell like it I want to instantly jump in the shower. Usually I just don't mind it if I smell it in passing, but my boss smokes in his office, which is next to mine, and his particular brand of cigarettes is probably the worst-smelling ever, and no matter what we say or do, he won't stop. So FUCK TOBACCO.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #36 - March 08, 2010, 09:36 AM

I'm trying hard to give up smoking as we speak..  Ive been trying to ignore it until now but this thread is just making the pangs get worse.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #37 - March 08, 2010, 12:28 PM

@IsLame: Keep at it, just a mind game, brainwash your mind!! Giving up before 40 reduces the chance of lung cancer late on by a huge amount from what I've heard. Good luck
     Reply #38 - March 08, 2010, 12:41 PM

To both both IsLame and Iraqi Atheist, don't push yourself to stop/reduce your smoking, just do it slowly. It'll happen over time.

I've been getting my bf to smoke no more then 3 a day (and occasionally I let him off). I don't have anything against smoking, I just want him to stay healthy till he puts me on his life insurance list... Tongue

I smoke from time to time, usually when I'm pissed. The tobacco high adds to the drunkenness and feels like heaven drug-sniffing dog

Bf said the tobacco high wears off if you smoke regularly so I'm not smoking much due to that Tongue
     Reply #39 - March 09, 2010, 12:12 AM

To both both IsLame and Iraqi Atheist, don't push yourself to stop/reduce your smoking, just do it slowly. It'll happen over time.

If only !
     Reply #40 - March 09, 2010, 12:24 AM

Well Sheesha is an essential part of Egyptian culture. I lived there for year and everybody smokes them. Recently, there has been a surge in Iraq too in that regard. With the religious militias most liquor stores have been forced to go underground so this is the only "Islamically approved" release the poor people there have.

you guys are lucky
    In Iran they have even banned the hookah lmao (although in some restaurants you can still get it but in general they have banned it in all public places).
    The irony here is that Iran has one of the highest drug usages in the world but instead they use their resources and energy in banning smtg that has been part of the culture for centuries!
     Reply #41 - March 09, 2010, 12:42 AM

you guys are lucky
    In Iran they have even banned the hookah lmao (although in some restaurants you can still get it but in general they have banned it in all public places).
    The irony here is that Iran has one of the highest drug usages in the world but instead they use their resources and energy in banning smtg that has been part of the culture for centuries!

jawdrop  but why? was it deemed haram?
     Reply #42 - March 09, 2010, 10:28 AM

If only !

Have faith Tongue
     Reply #43 - March 09, 2010, 11:37 AM

jawdrop  but why? was it deemed haram?

Come on man, it's suicide but slowly, makes sense it would be deemed haram.  Tongue

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #44 - March 09, 2010, 07:03 PM

I smoke, I know it's nasty. I suppose it's cognitive dissonance.  Cry
     Reply #45 - August 05, 2014, 10:30 AM

Well Sheesha is an essential part of Egyptian culture. I lived there for year and everybody smokes them manufactured by electronic cigarettes manufacturers. Recently, there has been a surge in Iraq too in that regard. With the religious militias most liquor stores have been forced to go underground so this is the only "Islamically approved" release the poor people there have.

I have quit smoking recently..it is worst thing I have done in my life so guys you must quit it..
  • How many of you smoke cigarettes?
     Reply #46 - August 05, 2014, 12:21 PM

I went from smoking countless fags a day to buying a pack once a week/fortnight. E-cig helps.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #47 - August 05, 2014, 02:14 PM

I went from 2 packs a day to zero overnight. I love tobacco though. I limit myself to an average of 1 shisha per month so I don't develop a habit.

"Ours is the age which is proud of machines that think and suspicious of men who try to."
    هذا من فضل جدي
     Reply #48 - August 05, 2014, 05:53 PM

These days I smoke around 3 to 5 cigs a day. In the past I could quit cold turkey quite easily. Dot know about now. I like to but the 72s because they are cheaper and they are a little shorter than regular cigs which I actually like since sometimes I'm done with a cig before I've got down to the filter.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #49 - August 06, 2014, 12:44 AM

You're not supposed to smoke it to the filter. All the worst shit is there.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #50 - August 06, 2014, 02:25 AM

I was allergic to filters. If I roll my own quality imported halfzware shag without filters, I can smoke a few daily for about five months before I develop a sensitivity to the tobacco itself and am forced to quit.
    I don't like to do it in front of the children, so I stopped for good a few years back. I would start up every time I got divorced.

Don't let Hitler have the street.
     Reply #51 - August 28, 2014, 05:11 PM

Switched to vaping last year  Wink
     Reply #52 - August 28, 2014, 05:21 PM

I prefer roll ups to cigarettes. Cigarettes taste of fakeness and greasy chemicals.

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #53 - August 28, 2014, 09:57 PM

Not tobacco ...

Late Eid Mubarak, Where's my eidee present ?
     Reply #54 - August 28, 2014, 09:58 PM

Rollies are just as bad, or worse, for your health. There was an article about them recently on New Scientist, or one of the other dens of iniquity I frequent. I can find it for you if you'd like your preconceptions trashed. Wink

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #55 - August 28, 2014, 10:09 PM

You mean roll up tobacco is bad for my health? Say it aint so!

Reply #56 - August 28, 2014, 10:11 PM

Yeah I know. Mind blowing innit?

I've heard people claim that rollies aren't as bad for their health as those extra-stinky things that come in packets. I agree that rollies smell one hell of a lot better, but anyone who thinks they are actually a bit healthier is apparently wrong.

Reply #57 - August 28, 2014, 10:17 PM

Here ya go. Found the article. parrot

Cigarettes: roll your own vs factory-made

Half of the people who smoke cigarettes will die from a smoking-related disease. In Australia, that works out to about 15,000 deaths per year. None of these deaths had to happen. Various cancers, heart disease, and chronic obstructive lung disease are smoking's preferred method of dispatch. Cancers were the number one cause of smoking-related deaths, killing just over half of male and female smokers. About three quarters of these cancers were lung cancer.

In the Australian financial year of 2004-2005, smokers spent over 750,000 days in hospital — leading to hospital costs of about $670 million.

To summarise; tobacco causes about 90 per cent of all drug-related deaths, and about 11 per cent of all deaths.

Now we're all familiar with the neat geometrical sticks of cigarettes when they're factory-made. But rollies, which are made with loose fine-cut tobacco and cigarette papers, are usually fairly messy.

The smoking of rollies rather than factory-made varies from country to country. The popularity of rollies in the smoking population ranges from about 58 per cent in Thailand, 39 per cent in New Zealand, 28 per cent in the UK, 24 per cent in Australia down to only 7 per cent in the USA.

And why do people smoke rollies? Again, it varies around the world. But in general, there are three main reasons. First, they're cheaper, second, you feel more independent and 'cool', and third is the belief that roll-your-own tobacco is more 'natural', and therefore 'safer' or 'less harmful' than factory-made cigarettes.

Unfortunately for the (usually poorer) people who tend to smoke rollies, they are both less natural and more harmful. In factory-made cigarettes, the additives make up about half-a-per cent of the dry weight of the tobacco. But in the rollies, the additives are about 18 per cent of the dry weight. In other words, rollies have about 38 times more additives than factory-made ciggies.

These additives include sweeteners, such as honey, sugar or dextrose. Maybe it's just a coincidence that these sweeteners make rollies smoother for new smokers, such as children. But some of the other additives include chemicals with less-than-wholesome names such as propylene glycol, trans-benzaldehyde, phenylcarbinol and ethyl butyrate. Another factor in the health risk of rollies is that they are usually thinner, so that you have to suck harder, which increases how much tar lands in your airways.

We're not too sure why, but a Norwegian study of 26,000 smokers showed that rollies were associated with higher, not lower, risks of lung cancer. And other studies consistently show a two-to-three times increased risk of cancers of the oesophagus, mouth, pharynx and larynx directly linked to rollies.

The way that the tobacco companies get around this is by totally ignoring the facts.

'Big tobacco' is now changing the image of rollies from low-cost and down-at-heel to 'cool', 'better tasting' and 'natural and organic'. They don't mention the 38 times more additives

Reply #58 - August 28, 2014, 10:29 PM

Yeah I know. Mind blowing innit?

I've heard people claim that rollies aren't as bad for their health as those extra-stinky things that come in packets. I agree that rollies smell one hell of a lot better, but anyone who thinks they are actually a bit healthier is apparently wrong.

I don't even think they smell better. They just taste better.

Reply #59 - August 28, 2014, 10:30 PM

Well you might as well get something nice out of them, since it seems they'll kill you quicker. Afro

• Previous page 1 23 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »