Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Change webhosts

(Read 3385 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Change webhosts
     OP - March 04, 2010, 04:56 AM

I also left some other feedback in one of my other posts. Webhosts are cheap $7/month. This one looks like the host is overloaded or underpowered. Its really no big deal for any good server to run a forum like this. Check hostgator.com, they're good and a few others too.
  • Re: Change webhosts
     Reply #1 - March 04, 2010, 09:32 AM

That's a pretty cheap price. I think it's so cheap, because it's shared web-hosting, right? How much control do you get on these types of servers? I have certain requirements and if they are met, we should probably consider migrating to a different host. What I'd like to have is: the ability to login via SSH, the permission to install and upgrade software and complete control over the Apache web server.

Is that possible? What's it like on your current web host?
    Thanks for your help.

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #2 - March 04, 2010, 10:50 AM

Screw Hostgator. I wouldn't go near them. If your problem is an over loaded server the last thing you want to do is look at hosts that oversell their server capacity. Quite apart from that there are some other requirements.

1/ SSH as mentioned by Aziz.

2/ cPanel, and I mean the real thing. Not Plesk, and not any idiotic interface built on top of cPanel. I've had to deal with that sort of thing for other sites and I'm not interested in dealing with it for this site. Full, unrestricted, unmessed-with cPanel FTW.

3/ There are some Apache modules that should be avoided like the plague. If a host has mod_security loaded they have buggered the config 99 times out of 100. It is theoretically possible to set the thing up without buggering things but they never seem to manage it and it is not a necessary module anyway.

4/ We are also going to need properly set up user permissions for Apache and PHP, which is another thing many cheap hosts bugger. That can make installations and upgrades a real pain.

5/ Good tech support available 24/7, with a response time in minutes rather than in days.

There are a few other basic requirements but those are the big ones. You wont get them from Hostgator either. They're notorious on the SMF support forum for the many and varied ways they can make life interesting.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #3 - March 18, 2010, 09:21 PM

Hey osmanthus,

I think we should get serious about migrating to a new server.

I'm chatting with Cahit, the head of the Austrian Council of Ex-Muslims, and he likes the idea of having a server for all the German and English ex-Muslims stuff.

What do you think? Would you like to research VPS offers? I'm a bit busy to do it myself.

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #4 - March 19, 2010, 04:36 AM

Can take a look around, yeah.  Afro  Although personally I think LiquidWeb are going to be hard to beat. No harm doing a comparison though.

Reply #5 - March 19, 2010, 01:40 PM

Shit, this stuff is expensive: https://www.liquidweb.com/cart/content/vps/

We'll really have to pool together if we want to rent a server for all English and German ex-Muslim websites.

The current server has 2GB RAM. I don't see any hosting plan, that offers 2GB. Did we upgrade and pay only once for it?

Which hosting plan are we on atm anyway?

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #6 - March 19, 2010, 02:23 PM

We're on a dedi that's shared between a few sites. Dunno what the plan as such is.

ETA: Which of course means we don't end up with anything like 2 gig when the other guys are on.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »