Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Muslim men & mosques

(Read 25294 times)
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Muslim men & mosques
     OP - February 28, 2010, 08:20 PM

Do you feel that Muslim men are far more likely compared(on avarage) to man of any other faith to actively participate in the mosque & pray 5 times daily?

Amongst the Hindus, Zoroastrians & Christians I know, its considered quite "unmasculine" to actively visit Churches & temples, if their centres of worship were restricted to only men or had men's sections, I bet they'd be quite empty.

Of course, there're many exceptions, but I do see many such overtly religious men & young boys of these faiths. Muslim men I see consider it extremely appropriate to rush to the mosque five times daily, many Orthodox Jewish men too are like that, but I don't know many.

I feel if Western European Churches excluded women or confined them to small side sections, they'd be closing down & turning into mosques at double the rates they do now, coz very few men would attend.

Do you guys feel Muslim men are on avarage more religious compared to men of many other faiths, who take a much more lukewarm attitude to public worship?

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
  • Re: Muslim men & mosques
     Reply #1 - February 28, 2010, 08:22 PM

Wow, you're so homophobic.

Just because some guys like bending over lots, you judge them?

Roll Eyes

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #2 - February 28, 2010, 08:56 PM

Oh most definately, at least as much of religion I do know, which doesn't include a few other religions, my understanding is that amongst muslims visiting the mosque is not seen as unmasculine, infact seeing as how it's a requirement for MEN to go, it's like the local mens club or something, but Islamic style lol.

What a waste of the day. 

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #3 - February 28, 2010, 08:59 PM

I personally prefer less overtly religious men, apatheists, agnists & atheists, or at least not very practicing. Thats the sort I'd like to date.

But I have no problem at all with Muslim men praying 5 times or rushing to mosques, I have no problem with any behavior which doesn't adversely affect others & this doesn't. If they get joy out of faith & a brotherhood of believers, let them do as they please.  Afro

I was simply wondering whether others too feel that Muslim men tend to practice their faith more often & publicly compared to Christian, Hindu etc men, who find churches & temples dull & often stay away while their wives & sisters practice.

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
     Reply #4 - February 28, 2010, 10:07 PM

There are plenty of Evangelical and Southern Baptist men in the United States who attend church just as fervently as many Muslim men do the mosque.  I think though that because in Hinduism, Buddhism and within the last 200 years, Christianity the church/temple has become the domain of women it is seen as a more feminine place of worship whereas due to the overtly patriarchial culture of Islam, the mosque has not been allowed to become the domain of women therefore the mosque maintained it's masculinity.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #5 - March 01, 2010, 11:30 AM

The masjid is very much a men's club, nothing feminine about it, if there is any room made to accommodate women at all! Wink

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #6 - March 01, 2010, 11:37 AM

The masjid is very much a men's club, nothing feminine about it, if there is any room made to accommodate women at all! Wink

In our local masjid, we have made space for them in the kitchen.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #7 - March 01, 2010, 11:51 AM

I can't think of any other religion that marginalises women from its sacred space as Islam does. Other religions may not utilise women as priests or administrators of places of worship as much as they should - and obviously they all have their gender biases as all religions tend to - but I don't know of any other religion, at least as practised in Britain, that does not allow women access to the central place of worship that forms the congregation to commune with their God in the way Islam does. As far as I know, all Christian denominations, Jews, Hindus and Sikhs all have mixed halls of worshippers with women and men praying beside each other.

The one thing that annoys me is when a Muslim says that women can't pray alongside men because it would distract them from God!

I also remember a discussion online (I think it was Guardian CiF) in which a Muslim was talking about how at his local mosque, Somali, Bosnian and Nigerian and Pakistani and Bangladeshis prayed side by side, and this proved the universality of Islam over all other faiths, because they represented so many different ethnicities - to which someone replied - you don't even consider 50 % of humanity to be worthy of entrance into your place of worship, so shut your mouth. To which he spluttered something or another, but it had left him for dead.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #8 - March 01, 2010, 11:58 AM

Islam doesnt never needed to entertain the wishes of women.  Once women were made secondary they became irrelevent.

It played on misogynistic attitudes towards women (born out of Mo's personal insecurity complexes with Khadijah) and so by empowering the physically stronger men, men would be happy push Islam though in their households and prevailing lands. 

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #9 - March 01, 2010, 01:13 PM

Rashna  Starts a wonderful thread "Muslim men & mosques ", apart from reading what friends say on this  Why not watch "Muslim men with beards Preaching  & teaching -Preaching in Mosques" ., and that is right from Horse mouth..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9TQYu2kv_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRl5c-xPVA0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K89-QJyOJTw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30C941zrttQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60EsQRpBJfQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SbyFAS-w-o&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5XNqTlyOAQ&feature=related

Fucking idiots wasting their lives and wasting the lives of millions of Kids
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #10 - March 01, 2010, 04:47 PM

lol great videos yeezevee
     Reply #11 - March 01, 2010, 04:49 PM

In our local masjid, we have made space for them in the kitchen.

cool2

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #12 - March 01, 2010, 05:10 PM

The one thing that annoys me is when a Muslim says that women can't pray alongside men because it would distract them from God!

Does food ever distract a man with a full stomach? This is simple psychology which Muhammad/Islamic Scholars got wrong.

I think Muhammad was so obsessed with sex that he thought everyone else must be the same.

In fact, the segregation of the sexes is intended to keep men obsessed with base instincts.

Islam is a funny religion which is misunderstood by its scholars and correctly understood by ordinary Muslims.
    Faith is keeping your eyes shut when looking at the world, and/or keeping your eyes open only for the beauty of the world.
     Reply #13 - March 01, 2010, 05:12 PM

I think Muhammad was so obsessed with sex that he thought everyone else must be the same.

Cheesy

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #14 - March 01, 2010, 06:29 PM

I can't think of any other religion that marginalises women from its sacred space as Islam does. Other religions may not utilise women as priests or administrators of places of worship as much as they should - and obviously they all have their gender biases as all religions tend to - but I don't know of any other religion, at least as practised in Britain, that does not allow women access to the central place of worship that forms the congregation to commune with their God in the way Islam does. As far as I know, all Christian denominations, Jews, Hindus and Sikhs all have mixed halls of worshippers with women and men praying beside each other.

Orthodox Judaism and some sects of Christianity have gender segregated worship areas.  In some Orthodox shuls, women are put in a balcony, behind a curtain, where they can't be seen.  Just like at the masjid!

[this space for rent]
     Reply #15 - March 01, 2010, 09:52 PM

Funny in the time of the prophet mohammad men and women worshipped in the mosque together. the women are just behind the men and not next to them.

I never felt anything sexual in a christian church sitting next to a man.  So it seems to be just another negative effect of segregation which  sight of a wrist causes you to commit haram by spanking the monkey. Like we pick our noses when we think no one is looking too. 

Of course I am sure if your pious some of you only blow it into tissues when no one is looking.  Afro
     Reply #16 - March 13, 2010, 09:41 PM

I also remember a discussion online (I think it was Guardian CiF) in which a Muslim was talking about how at his local mosque, Somali, Bosnian and Nigerian and Pakistani and Bangladeshis prayed side by side, and this proved the universality of Islam over all other faiths, because they represented so many different ethnicities - to which someone replied - you don't even consider 50 % of humanity to be worthy of entrance into your place of worship, so shut your mouth. To which he spluttered something or another, but it had left him for dead.

They might pray side by side with Somali & Nigerian Muslims, but Indian & Bangladeshi Muslims can be extremely racist towards Black people,whatever their ethnicity.

In fairness to them, most Indians, whatever their religion, also very often show the exact same prejudices towards black people.

Also, they can suck up to Whites big time. finmad

My father had friends from various African Embassies in Bangladesh, who often spoke about how they encountered racist attitudes pretty frequently. My Bohra Muslim grandaunt, whose daughter has gone to study in USA, told us the other day that she'd be fine with a prospective White son in law, as long as he convertd to Islam, but can't even contemplate a Black son in law & has warned her daughter against dating blacks!  Roll Eyes

Although the Quran isn't racist, there are some racist statements in both Ibn Ishaq's Sira, & of course in Tabari-claiming black people look like the Devil or are destined for slavery. Islamic history too has often been extremely racist towards black people, the Islamic slave trade in Africa continued for a far longer time than the Western slave trade in Africa, & it included abhorrent practices like castration & mass abduction of small children, which meant millions of black people captured by Muslims could never reproduce & increase their population in whichever Islamic lands they were carried off to, unlike black people taken to America, where the black populqation rose rapidly & which has millions of black people in extremely prominent positions today.

One of the biggest myths Islam managed to successfully perpetuate, imo, is the myth that it has no "racist past," although Muslims are responsible for a far bigger Black Holocaust than Whites, through many more centuries of slave trade, child slave trade & especially castration.

Reply #17 - March 16, 2010, 05:00 PM

They might pray side by side with Somali & Nigerian Muslims, but Indian & Bangladeshi Muslims can be extremely racist towards Black people,whatever their ethnicity.

In fairness to them, most Indians, whatever their religion, also very often show the exact same prejudices towards black people.

Also, they can suck up to Whites big time. finmad

many of these PIN HEADS from subcontinent are not really racist.. but they just like white SKINS., irrespective of what is their under the skin and inside the head.. at least to start with..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #18 - March 16, 2010, 05:06 PM

"Pin heads"

this is why I'm your biggest fan Yeezee.

Reply #19 - March 16, 2010, 05:17 PM

!! Scoundrels, rascals
     Reply #20 - March 17, 2010, 12:07 AM

"Pin head"

Thats what I call my missus (because she's got a tiny head on a long neck) - so where did you hear that name Yeezeveee  finmad

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #21 - March 17, 2010, 02:50 AM

I agree with that too, but it's not just Indians. Pakistanis, east and southeast Asians such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Laotian, and Hispanics also show those types of prejudices. I don't mean that they are treated horribly by other races, but when it's comes to things like dating and marrying. For my family, the mere of thought of marrying a black is terrifying to them. They would still get angry over a white person though, but it's more favorable than a black.

In my high school, black people are only about 5% of the school, and Asians are about 17%. Most of the Asians take hard classes like Pre-AP, AP, GT, or IB and there are very few black people in these types of classes. For the ones that take those classes (mostly African immigrants), they face no trouble from anyone and do fine. But the Asians (and some whites) tend to avoid blacks that aren't in those types of classes as they do not know them.

I'm not trying to be racist or anything, but most of the black people that aren't in those classes (not all of them) tend to follow the stereotypical "ghetto" or "gangsta rapper" image, so that might be why some people avoid them. Or it is another reason. I don't know I'm talking, I'm just blathering on a bunch of stuff lol.

off topic
     Reply #22 - March 17, 2010, 03:36 AM

I think the sad truth is that there are a lot of cultures that idealize 'fair skin' in general. Even if the said race/ethnicity is dark themselves.

South Asians are very prejudiced against darker skinned fellow Indians too and the ideal marriage material is a fair skinned indian for most desi families. Even if there is one girl who is extremely gorgeous & healthy but very dark-skinned and another girl who is generally ugly but very pale and fair a typical desi family will go gaga over the fair skinned one and have dreams of marrying their son to her. Huh?

And this self-esteem crisis runs deep, you can see back in south asia the pandemic usage of "Fair and Lovely" skin bleaches by darker skinned people. Just look at the starting graphic on their corporate site:

http://www.fairandlovely.in/

Practically says it all. And this sick and unhealthy mentality causes havoc on the self-esteem of lots of south asian young people, especially women. Good thing is, in North America I notice this is much less prevalent. In fact some of the hottest desi girls tend to be the darker skinned ones from my experience. But its really a sad reality back home.

Reply #23 - March 17, 2010, 05:40 AM

Humans are a bit stupid. They always want to be different to what they are. So you have these stupid people wanting to bleach their skin and stupid white people wanting to spend their time in tanning booths. Go figure.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #24 - March 17, 2010, 06:02 AM

Humans are a bit stupid. They always want to be different to what they are. So you have these stupid people wanting to bleach their skin and stupid white people wanting to spend their time in tanning booths. Go figure.

"Fair" was the preferred complexion in the Western world as well, till a century back, just like it is the preferred complexion in the Indian sub continent, East Asia-China, Japan, Korea, Southeast Asia- Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand etc & the Middle East even today.

White people tanning themselves is a relatively new thing.

Until the 20th century, in Europe and the west, just as in Asia, darker skin was associated with working outside – not with luxuriating on a beach. If you worked outside you were poor; if you were poor you were inequal & not beautiful.

We have a Gulliver's Travels extract in our English textbook, I read how  Gulliver is always banging on about the “fairness” – or otherwise – of people, and proudly proclaims that he himself is still very “fair” despite his life at sea. In 18th Century Britain, just as in 21st Century Asia, to be fair was a good thing. Indeed so good a thing that the word “fair”, which originally applied only to skin colour eventually came to mean “pretty” in general.

It was the idea of sunbathing as a luxury activity that caused the change in the west. Travel certainly is more popular in Asia now, but given the climate in much of Asia(except Japan & Korea) it’s unlikely that sunbathing will ever become a major leisure activity there for locals It’s also important to point out the difference between colour-consciousness and racism. The horror of sun-tanned skin that prevails in Asia and that prevailed in Europe until the last century clearly isn’t “racist” in its principal nature. It’s about class; it’s about hating poor people. Now that might well be as obnoxious as hating foreigners, but it’s not the same thing.

Its silly to snee at the Asians for their preference for fair skin, when White people exhibited the same attitudes a century back...  whistling2

Reply #25 - March 17, 2010, 03:30 PM

There was a US Indian man that killed the woman his son married and had a child with because she was black.

"In a child's power to master the multiplication table, there is more sanctity than in all your shouted "amens" and "holy holies" and "hosannas." An idea is a greater monument than a cathedral. And the advance of man's knowledge is a greater miracle than all the sticks" - Henry Drummond
     Reply #26 - March 17, 2010, 07:44 PM

I don't think it's really comparable to tanning.

The tanning thing is more a fad that is not that ingrained. A person being "too pale" does not affect his standing for finding a mate or success in his career. Plus it's a fairly new thing. Also it isn't rooted in some sort of low racial self-esteem among whites. Whites have uber self-esteem - pale or tanned. Back in south asia, its deeply rooted - its an attitude that goes back literally hundreds, perhaps thousands of years. Indians have been constantly ruled by fair-skinned foreigners - aryans, turks, persians, mughals, british and they associate nobility, beauty, class and wealth with fair skin. The fair skin inferiority complex that desis suffer is deep and almost like a cultural disease.

Reply #27 - March 22, 2010, 06:05 AM

Quote from: Rashna
    One of the biggest myths Islam managed to successfully perpetuate, imo, is the myth that it has no "racist past," although Muslims are responsible for a far bigger Black Holocaust than Whites, through many more centuries of slave trade, child slave trade & especially castration.

This is something I've always found to be strange. Black people have always gone on about White slavers and how the Western white race was the root of Blacks in slavery, when it's well documented that it was the Muslims that sold the black slaves to the white traders in the 1st place, and were dealing in black slaves for centuries before then!
    With Islam's treatment of the Black Africans over history, I can't understand why it's so popular in N. America lately for blacks to convert to Islam. Is it simply because they don't know the true history of their new religion, or because they've forgiven the Muslims for their indescretions for 100's of years but not the whites for their comparatively brief dip into the use of slaves?
    And at least the white people for the most part, have apologized for this bad behavior...I've never seen an apology issued from any Islamic Clerics for theirs...

When I read about these 1000's of new converts to Islam from the black populations, especially in prisons, I find myself yelling "Don't you have any clue how bad Islam has treated your race thru history?? How could you possibly support and condone such treatment by doing this!"

It's a mystery to me.

"I will not give credit for my accomplishments to an imaginary supreme being, therefore, I also take full responsibility for all of the miserable failures in my life."
     Reply #28 - March 22, 2010, 07:25 AM

I just think when you've been insulted for your colour and had your parents begin the skin bleaching process, it's not so much stupid as it is unbelievably sad that those kids grow up to go on believing this stuff and continuing the cycle with their own kids.

I still struggle with my colour, I know this is down to my parents and family members continued "We'll never find you a husband because you are so dark"......."Why can't you have beautiful fair skin like you sister"........"I don't want you to go in the sun today, it's only going to make you browner".  Mud sticks quite literally.

Not the brother who lives with me, but my other brother is my colour, and he rebelled against my family in that he only dates women of colour.  It infuriates my parents, who swear blind that if he brings home a black chick he is out of there forever.  It's cool watching him give them the finger in this way.  cool2  (although I can't give him total respect until he actually choose to marry one, and bring her home, right now he is just having lots of sex with women he knows my parents hate, it's not real rebellion until it moves beyond sex and into the relams of seriousness)

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #29 - March 22, 2010, 09:01 AM

Very few of my male cousins married women who weren't snow-white Smiley It's hilarious seeing my aunts being so picky about choosing uber-white brides for their sons and at the same time dispairing because their slightly darker daughters aren't married yet, at the old age of 28 Cheesy

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
  • 12 3 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »