Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
April 16, 2024, 07:25 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Front Page

(Read 18371 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Front Page
     Reply #30 - March 16, 2010, 05:11 AM

Oh and I want those news widgets off the front page because they are really slow to load. I can also sprite all the site icons so they cache really fast. That should help a bit.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #31 - March 16, 2010, 05:18 AM

1/ The revolving globe is cute but painfully slow to load if you click for the bigger view. Not sure about it because frankly I tend to go somewhere else if a page doesn't load fast. My preference if we were going to have that would be to not load it on the front page but to link it off a memberlist.

Yeah I had thought after I posted that globe will probably slow things down, best to avoid it. It is purdy though, pops up the global location of everyone who visits the site. Cheesy

2/ Ok cool. We can do recent topics easily enough. We already have recent posts in the side panel. That is no drama. We could probably also rig up a random post from the "Quotes wot are kewl enough fer me siggy innit" thread.

cool and cool! dance

3/ Don't do Twitter myself but if we can sneak it in and some people like the feeds then yeah, why not? The events one is easy. Our software already allows that a a default feature. I just haven't enabled it because there's usually bugger all on our calendar and the default display of events is kinda blurgh. I can fix that though. Wink

Yeah, maybe we can have a poll to see how many if any members would share their twitter feeds (in case it's under their own real name or wotnot).

Yay for the date thing.

4/ I think I'd prefer the icons in a side column along with some other useful links, or sumpin. Smiley

Yeah, that'd work. It'd be nice if maybe the icons were a bit smaller, what do you think? Like instead of the current 150x36, maybe under 100px width? Would look cleaner. But I don't know if it'd be too much of a PITA to get new icons from the sites or recreate these. I could help with the graphics resizing/redoing.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #32 - March 16, 2010, 05:19 AM

Oh and another point that is worth considering: not everyone who visits this site is going to want their visit, including the exact town they live in, publicly recorded on a cute revolving globe for everyone else to see. I'm thinking we should give anything that involves auto tracking of people a miss.

Reply #33 - March 16, 2010, 05:22 AM

yeah I hear ya. Let's skip that one.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #34 - March 16, 2010, 05:23 AM

About the icons: I made them all anyway and still have psd's for a lot of them so resizing is no drama. I kinda like them at the current size. The current layout and location aint the best though. Would be much neater down a side column and spriting them is going to knock cache time right back.

Reply #35 - March 16, 2010, 05:25 AM

Whatcha mean by "spriting" them?

Reply #36 - March 16, 2010, 05:58 AM

Spites are compound images that use css positioning to display different sections of the image for different css classes and/or actions. If used sensibly (and they are not appropriate everywhere) they can save a lot of caching time because you are only requesting one image from the server instead of a dozen or whatever.

If you want a basic example check out one of the the menu images for the mobile theme:

The little strip at the top right is the divider between each menu button. This is always displayed on arrival at the site if using the theme so it forces the image to cache. The rest of the image is the part for the actual drop menu. Since it is already cached the drops render instantly on hover. This is much better than the old 90's stuff of using javascript to preload images. CSS rocks. I'm going to do this for the big themes as well. Been meaning to for yonkers but just haven't got around to it.  Tongue

Anyway I just tweaked the site default theme. The left side column now expands and collapses by clicking the left edge of your screen. I'm going to add that feature to the other themes too as it is far more convenient than having to target a little icon.

Reply #37 - March 26, 2010, 01:39 AM

Just noting that the front page has been changed a bit. You can see what happened yourself if you're interested.  parrot

This is not a final thing, just something a bit different. The newsfeeds and all the other content are still available from the "Newsfeeds" tab in the main menu.

Reply #38 - March 26, 2010, 10:10 AM

Anyway I just tweaked the site default theme. The left side column now expands and collapses by clicking the left edge of your screen. I'm going to add that feature to the other themes too as it is far more convenient than having to target a little icon.

I like this functionality

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #39 - March 26, 2010, 10:48 AM

Yes I thought it was a damned fine idea. I saw it in another CMS and coded something similar for ours. I have thought of having another column at the right, since they're so easy to collapse and expand now, but I'm not sure it would be useful.

Reply #40 - March 26, 2010, 11:13 AM

Suggestion: Give that edge to the left a title attribute, e.g.: title="Click to collapse the left sidebar"
    Smiley

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #41 - March 26, 2010, 11:20 AM

good idea, instead of turning black it could turn black with those words written in a white typeface vertically..

Shame I cant have it permanently like that but just noticed the replies/show posts also disappears  015. After reading a thread, I always I click on that an move onto the next thread, so its not much use to some of us particularly those who could do with it with smaller laptop(like me) or mobile phone screens.

Unless there is a shortcut keyboard command to do this?  ( ctrl r, ctrl u would be great if easily done)

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #42 - March 26, 2010, 12:23 PM

I can add a title attribute easily enough and that's not a bad idea, but no way is it getting vertical white lettering or a permanent black bar.

Oh and it's only black because you're on IE. It actually uses CSS3 opacity on any other browser, as does the hover effect on the "top of page" and "bottom of page" buttons.

Reply #43 - March 26, 2010, 12:27 PM

Writing would only when you hover over it

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #44 - March 26, 2010, 12:46 PM

That is what the title attribute is for.

Reply #45 - March 26, 2010, 01:06 PM

I looked at the HTML and CSS code of this feature. I don't know why it has to be so complicated, with blank gifs here and there, and useless link tags. Oh wait, I remember! It's gotta be because they want to also support shitty IE browsers! grin12

I'd do it this way, but the stupid JS code has to be modified, too. Anyway, I don't care about this too much. Wink
    <div id="tpxleft" onclick="shrinkHeaderLeftbar(!current_leftbar)" title="Click to hide the left sidebar"></div>

#tpxleft:hover {
      cursor:pointer;
    }

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #46 - March 26, 2010, 01:17 PM

Basically I couldn't be bothered modifying the js. So I just threw in the blank gifs instead of the standard icons and put the anchor tag over in a div. Hey ho. It works.

Reply #47 - March 26, 2010, 01:19 PM

Oh and you need more css than that. The cursor:pointer; is a no brainer and of course it has that, but you need a fair bit more. 

• Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »