Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 18, 2024, 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Goodbye and Thank you!

(Read 18591 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Goodbye and Thank you!
     Reply #60 - March 31, 2010, 05:36 PM

Tell me how you think you have been specifically influenced by Islam and whether you identify yourself as a cultural Muslim, or what you identify yourself as.

I definitely don't identify myself as a cultural Muslim - I am well known by all my family and friends as an apostate. But I am happy to take wisdom wherever I find it - and I still find myself referencing a hadith I like or Quranic passage I like or Islamic tale (such as the tales of Joha) - and take it as human wisdom. Can't think of any off-hand but I have quoted some in the past.
     Reply #61 - March 31, 2010, 05:38 PM

Maybe - but is culture not confused with religion? Can you truly say you were only influenced by non-Islamic influenced culture?

Yes I think so.  If you tell me something that is uniquely part of Islamic culture, or something that I might not have learned otherwise, then I might be able to give you a more definite answer.  Only things I can think of are pretty much inconsequential (like not finding pigs cute) and are not really what I would put under my positive sphere of influence.  IWell not anymore than the thousands of other things I have been influenced by anyway.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #62 - March 31, 2010, 05:39 PM

Hassan, would you say your culturally western/anglo background played an important factor in your eventual apostasy?

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #63 - March 31, 2010, 05:40 PM

Yes I think so.  If you tell me something that is uniquely part of Islamic culture, or something that I might not have learned otherwise, then I might be able to give you a more definite answer.  Only things I can think of are pretty much inconsequential (like not finding pigs cute) and are not really what I would put under my positive sphere of influence.  IWell not anymore than the thousands of other things I have been influenced by anyway.

OK.
     Reply #64 - March 31, 2010, 05:41 PM

I definitely don't identify myself as a cultural Muslim - I am well known by all my family and friends as an apostate. But I am happy to take wisdom wherever I find it - and I still find myself referencing a hadith I like or Quranic passage I like or Islamic tale (such as the tales of Joha) - and take it as human wisdom. Can't think of any off-hand but I have quoted some in the past.

Thats different, there are lots of postive things you can take out of the Quran.  Cant argue with that.  

Just dont feel I need to focus more on the Quran than any other literature, just because I feel an innate ancestral obligation to do so.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #65 - March 31, 2010, 05:43 PM

Hassan, would you say your culturally western/anglo background played an important factor in your eventual apostasy?

Not sure really - I think the fact that I had a broader view and always retained a skeptical side played a part.
     Reply #66 - March 31, 2010, 05:45 PM

Thats different, there are lots of postive things you can take out of the Quran.  Cant argue with that.  

Just dont feel I need to focus more on the Quran than any other literature, just because I feel an innate ancestral obligation to do so.

Neither do I - but it played a big part in my life - so I know more bits (good and bad) than I do about say.. Christianity, Hinduism or Buddhism which I'm sure also contain a great many wisdoms.
     Reply #67 - March 31, 2010, 06:37 PM

Personally I dont think Islam doesnt have anything more to say about culture than what was already around.  And that was 1400 years ago, and times have moved on.

Even as a muslim,  I found I was always using own sense of morality and squaring it against Islam, rather than the other way around. And this attitude proved to be its eventual downfall. 

Neither do I - but it played a big part in my life - so I know more bits (good and bad) than I do about say.. Christianity, Hinduism or Buddhism which I'm sure also contain a great many wisdoms.

I think this would make a good reason to spend more time learning about other religions, rather than spending even more time studying the mythology behind Islam as a life lesson.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #68 - March 31, 2010, 06:46 PM

Go on then.  As you suggest you have been influenced by Islam, let us know in what way that you probably would not have done otherwise e.g. as an Egyptian/Englishman without Islam.

Actually come to think of it, I can think of a way that you may have but would still be interested to see your opinion.

I think it is different for you as you made some life decisions based on Islam, whereas I left Islam in my teenage years and since then actively tried to get some balance by exposing myself to lots of different cultures & ideas.

I also dont really see Islam as a culture, but as a religion, which mostly talks about how you should relate to God.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #69 - March 31, 2010, 06:56 PM

Maybe later, mate - will give it some thought - not in the mood right now.
     Reply #70 - March 31, 2010, 06:56 PM

I miss RIBS :(

Call me TAP TAP! for I am THE ASS PATTER!
  • Previous page 1 2 3« Previous thread | Next thread »