Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: The origin of religion?

(Read 3345 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • The origin of religion?
     OP - February 14, 2010, 05:08 PM

Speaking to my 6 yr old today

Me: what came 1st the chicken or the egg?
    6yr old: errr... the chicken?
    Me:  Are you sure?
    6yr old: err... the egg?
    Me:  so where did the egg come from?
    6yr old: the chicken

silence

6yr old: dad, you're confusing me

silence

6yr old: the first was the chicken
    Me: questioning look
    6yr old: God made the chicken
    Me: silence
    Voice inside my head:  Nooooooooo, should I tell him about evolution & mutation.  Get real, he's 6 - he'll never make sense of it..

He walks off with a proud look on his face.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • Re: The origin of religion?
     Reply #1 - February 14, 2010, 05:48 PM

The reptile came first.
     Reply #2 - February 14, 2010, 05:52 PM

Nip it in the bud

The foundation of superstition is ignorance, the
    superstructure is faith and the dome is a vain hope. Superstition
    is the child of ignorance and the mother of misery.
    -Robert G. Ingersoll (1898)

"Do time ninjas have this ability?" "Yeah. Only they stay silent and aren't douchebags."  -Ibl
     Reply #3 - February 14, 2010, 06:09 PM

Nip it in the bud

+1 to that wholeheartedly. Tell him/her the truth
     Reply #4 - February 14, 2010, 06:09 PM

Have you ever introduced the idea of God to your child?

The unlived life is not worth examining.
     Reply #5 - February 14, 2010, 07:10 PM

Why don't you teach him/her creationism and 'scar the poor child for life'  Wink

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #6 - February 14, 2010, 08:58 PM

Have you ever introduced the idea of God to your child?

No, he's too young, and I dont want him to feel the odd one out already - the UK school system is still entrenched in God and the church, and its silly for me to go on a personal crusade against the system that could harm his personal development in the long run. 

Lesser of the 2 evils I guess, in any case I dont want to shove my beliefs down his throat, thats what this forum is for Wink 

At this stage I am more concerned with giving him the confidence in his logical thought mechanisms that allowed us all to get there, and hence the reason behind the question in the first place..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #7 - February 14, 2010, 09:03 PM

Why don't you teach him/her creationism and 'scar the poor child for life'  Wink

Talking about physical scars - as a quran-only,  why did you perform that surgical procedure on your newborn Wink

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #8 - February 14, 2010, 10:50 PM

Sting.

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #9 - February 15, 2010, 01:00 AM

IsLame: You see son. The idea of God creating everything is illogical, there's a far more reasonable explanation. It's called Evolution. It is a theory which says that species evolve due to a mechanism called natural selection in which favorable mutated traits are selected by nature, which results in the survival of the family of species whose traits are favorable and the others dying out. The process continues gradually resulting, in very long periods of time, in distinct species emerging.

6 y/o Son: *Confused look*, *Scratching head*. So what came first the chicken or the egg?

"In every time and culture there are pressures to conform to the prevailing prejudices. But there are also, in every place and epoch, those who value the truth; who record the evidence faithfully. Future generations are in their debt." -Carl Sagan

Reply #10 - February 15, 2010, 01:08 AM

No, he's too young, and I dont want him to feel the odd one out already - the UK school system is still entrenched in God and the church, and its silly for me to go on a personal crusade against the system that could harm his personal development in the long run. 

Lesser of the 2 evils I guess, in any case I dont want to shove my beliefs down his throat, thats what this forum is for Wink 

At this stage I am more concerned with giving him the confidence in his logical thought mechanisms that allowed us all to get there, and hence the reason behind the question in the first place..

I fully appreciate what you're saying because it's a delicate matter. I've thought about it and I think if/when I have kids I'd probably introduce them to all these ideas early on. I'm a bit of a sucker for honesty, so I think just being open and honest to my children can only lead to the best consequences. If I start getting bogged down in some deep philosophical or scientific issue and they become majorly confused, then so what? Given time, they'll understand, perhaps even faster now that they have been introduced to the idea. Maybe when they get a little older and they're met with the problem again they will show a lot of interest because they will have an early memory of meeting that problem before.

And telling your kids about God, evolution, etc. doesn't have to mean sticking your beliefs down their throat. All you have to say is that lots of people believe in God and God is so and so and your personal opinion is that God doesn't exist for such and such reasons. Don't be scared about what your child might grow up to be or think, that's what Muslims do who are worried their kids might grow up and become kaffirs. I really think that telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth is the best policy is the best approach for kids. That's all in principle ofcourse. In practice I admit there are some issues that I'd feel quite uncomfortable talking to my kids about, such as if the cat died and my kid was asking where the cat had gone.

This reminds me of the programme "Outnumbered". Have you ever watched that?! It's hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-vybA54BF4

This one is the best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQak6ng0RXQ&feature=related

Reply #11 - February 15, 2010, 04:42 AM

Well I guess there's no harm in him having a vague believe in a god/creator at this age. Just make sure he is not hanging around with kids whose parents are fundamentalists. Also don't let him hang around any zealous uncle or something.
    Good thing is atheism is growing rapidly here in the UK specially in the younger generation so just give him till he's about 15 until you have the talk with him, or in this case I should say the two talks  Smiley 
     Reply #12 - February 15, 2010, 09:40 AM

Why does it have to be some grand thing that you tell them once they have reached a certain age? The transition from theist to atheist might have been an emotional one for us, but breaking it to the kids... they're not gonna be bothered... To them you'll just be telling them another thing about yourself, such as that you like tea/coffee. There is no need to think of the subject as being something that could break a child's mind and who will grow up and accuse you of trying to brainwash you... is there?

Reply #13 - February 15, 2010, 07:38 PM

Well, there are 2 ways to go also.

You could explain that it is a bs clap_trap question (as phrased), like "have you stopped beating your wife, yes or no?"

Or simply say "the egg came first", which it did, as the egg,  has existed longer than the chicken (and is not limited to the chicken).

The foundation of superstition is ignorance, the
    superstructure is faith and the dome is a vain hope. Superstition
    is the child of ignorance and the mother of misery.
    -Robert G. Ingersoll (1898)

"Do time ninjas have this ability?" "Yeah. Only they stay silent and aren't douchebags."  -Ibl
     Reply #14 - February 15, 2010, 07:41 PM

"have you stopped beating your wife, yes or no?"

Cheesy
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »