Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Please bring back the quote button

(Read 4300 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Please bring back the quote button
     OP - February 12, 2010, 10:10 PM

Please bring back the quote button which doesn't show next to the last post on a topic.

I.e, you see the quote button next to all other posts, except the last one which doesn't have a quote button, and you have to manually copy and paste it to quote it, or to click reply and quote it, both of which are irritating!

Thanks  Afro
  • Re: Please bring back the quote button
     Reply #1 - February 12, 2010, 10:12 PM

Please bring back the quote button which doesn't show next to the last post on a topic.

I.e, you see the quote button next to all other posts, except the last one which doesn't have a quote button, and you have to manually copy and paste it to quote it, or to click reply and quote it, both of which are irritating!

Thanks  Afro

I'd rather reduce the amount of junk thats copied and make it more scrollable and each page more concise- problem is people eventually quote unnecessarily, like I just did here

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #2 - February 12, 2010, 10:22 PM

It was removed for a reason: because if it is there people just mindlessly hit the thing even if it is unnecessary. As Islame says, this leads to threads being filled with a lot of useless crap.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #3 - February 12, 2010, 10:59 PM

Why not enforce this as a forum rule? As it stands, people can still quote the original poster (after others have posted) or any other previous, huge postings. The current solution isn't really perfect.

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #4 - February 12, 2010, 11:03 PM

I know it isn't perfect, but it's a lot better than it was. I wanted an option that did not require a lot of ongoing work for the staff, and that did not require the staff to be constantly targetting individuals. That sort of thing is going to lead to resentment. Better to go with a reasonable compromise.

Reply #5 - February 12, 2010, 11:04 PM

How about this then? I could add a line to the posting form, advising people not to quote large postings, or at least to reduce them to the bits they find quote worthy.

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #6 - February 12, 2010, 11:10 PM

Yes we could do that. That is not hard and is probably worth a shot. I had another idea though. I added that hide tag for quoted images some time ago. It wouldn't take much to tweak that so that quotes were automatically collapsed and had to be clicked to expand if you wanted to view them. This may be as much of a pain as a benefit though, so I'm not sure it's a good idea.

ETA: Just had another idea. I could edit the template so that quotes have a fixed height with auto overflow like the code tags. That could work really well. Smiley In fact that only needs a css change. Markup can stay the same.

Reply #7 - February 12, 2010, 11:17 PM

I suggest we think about it a bit more before worrying about changes. There will be a good solution. Better to give it some consideration rather than jumping all over the place.

Reply #8 - February 12, 2010, 11:22 PM

I vote for the scrollbar within the quote, since it already works with the code tags it should be simple to implement!!

testing:
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nam ipsum enim, porta et eleifend eget, posuere ac lorem. 
    Nullam id orci eu nisi pharetra facilisis ut at eros. Morbi sit amet ornare purus. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora
    torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Aenean venenatis, libero commodo consectetur vestibulum,
    nunc lorem volutpat odio, vitae accumsan lorem quam sit amet libero. Nullam aliquet mi eu ipsum eleifend ut facilisis
    nibh imperdiet. Sed nisi sem, malesuada sed accumsan et, pellentesque eget turpis. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis
    in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Nam massa eros, congue et malesuada vitae, tincidunt eget
    lorem. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Praesent at
    metus sem, at varius tortor. Nulla nec urna dui. Nam vel sodales risus. Ut luctus dolor quis odio suscipit iaculis
    rhoncus augue varius. Aliquam erat volutpat. Aliquam cursus nibh euismod ante ornare et sagittis velit porta.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nam ipsum enim, porta et eleifend eget, posuere ac lorem.
    Nullam id orci eu nisi pharetra facilisis ut at eros. Morbi sit amet ornare purus. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora
    torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Aenean venenatis, libero commodo consectetur vestibulum,
    nunc lorem volutpat odio, vitae accumsan lorem quam sit amet libero. Nullam aliquet mi eu ipsum eleifend ut facilisis
    nibh imperdiet. Sed nisi sem, malesuada sed accumsan et, pellentesque eget turpis. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis
    in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Nam massa eros, congue et malesuada vitae, tincidunt eget
    lorem. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Praesent at
    metus sem, at varius tortor. Nulla nec urna dui. Nam vel sodales risus. Ut luctus dolor quis odio suscipit iaculis
    rhoncus augue varius. Aliquam erat volutpat. Aliquam cursus nibh euismod ante ornare et sagittis velit porta.

Edit: Works perfectly!
     Reply #9 - February 12, 2010, 11:28 PM

Looks like shit on dark themes though. Also we stall are not bringing back the quote button on the last post.  parrot

Reply #10 - February 12, 2010, 11:28 PM

But apart from the visual formatting, the bloating of the database is a problem, too. Don't you think?

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #11 - February 12, 2010, 11:31 PM

There is a ridiculous amount of bloat that goes into superfluous quoting. However we have to be realistic and the db is going to expand anyway. We aren't trying to ruthlessly cut all unnecessary content or we would ban smileys (for example). My main concern is not having crap that they have just read shoved in people's faces without good reason.

Reply #12 - February 12, 2010, 11:33 PM

Also we stall are not bringing back the quote button on the last post.  parrot

Looks like i'll just have to write a firefox extension then  whistling2 dance
     Reply #13 - February 12, 2010, 11:35 PM

Looks like I'll just have to start using the ban button then.  whistling2 dance

Reply #14 - February 12, 2010, 11:39 PM

mysmilie_977 Embarrassed

Don't ban me, I was kidding! I don't know how to make ff extensions
     Reply #15 - February 12, 2010, 11:42 PM

Hey I just noticed the icons in posts on the Mystic theme are ugly as hell. What happened to them? They aren't standard SMF icons and I don't remember them being like that.

Mind you I rarely use the theme so they may have been. God they're ugly though.

Reply #16 - February 13, 2010, 02:06 AM

Why r u ignoring me liberated??? I want 2 b ur friend...  Cry

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »