Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Aafia Siddiqui (pbuh)

(Read 52223 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Aafia Siddiqui (pbuh)
     Reply #60 - March 11, 2010, 03:29 PM

Search for Dr Aafia’s daughter yields startling results says the news   By Saeed Minhas

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2010\03\03\story_3-3-2010_pg1_9

ISLAMABAD: During efforts to trace Dr Aafia Siddiqui’s missing 11-year-old daughter Mariam, international organisations have stumbled upon nearly a dozen juvenile girls who have been languishing in several Afghan jails, sources privy to the search told Daily Times on Tuesday.

Not much is known about these girls, and most are referred to by the numbers allotted to them, just like Dr Aafia was. Sources said that during their visits to some of the jails, they requested the authorities to transfer these girls out of captivity to a safer place because the harsh environment in these prisons might “ruin their lives”.

Daily Times also learnt that DNA tests of three girls aged between 11 and 12 – who did not appear to be Afghans – were conducted in an attempt to find Mariam, but the tests came back negative.

However, sources said a number of international NGOs working on child trafficking and human rights, have been contacted by the Pakistani government to try and locate Mariam in other jails in Afghanistan. Islamabad has also contacted the Afghan government and the US CENTCOM to cooperate with the NGOs in this regard.
    Mariam is the second child of Dr Aafia and was only three-and-a-half-years old when she, her five-year-old brother Ahmed, six-month-old baby brother Suleman and their mother were picked up from outside their Karachi home by US Marines and local police in 2003, according to Dr Aafia’s friends and family members.

Following the verdict of a US jury in the Dr Aafia’s case, Hussain Haqqani, Pakistan’s ambassador to US, has personally apologised to the family for the unfortunate decision and has promised to recover the missing child, family sources said. They also revealed that Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani had also said that he would see to it that Dr Aafia spent her prison time in Pakistan.

But various legal experts and officials of the foreign and interior ministries have now confirmed that in the absence of a prisoner exchange treaty between the US and Pakistan, bringing Dr Aafia back would only be possible on ‘humanitarian grounds’, provided the US agreed to the request.

Diplomatic sources have also told Daily Times that her repatriation would only be possible if Dr Aafia agreed to maintain her silence and issue no statements regarding her arrest and subsequent treatment during captivity in Afghanistan and US. They held that since the issue had become very sensitive for both the US and Pakistan, certain UK lobbyists had stepped in to ask the US to repatriate Dr Aafia to serve out the rest of her prison term in Pakistan. These mediators have also assured that she will maintain her silence while in Pakistan and there would be no cause for embarrassment for any concerned party. Ironically, these sources also revealed that throughout the Dr Aafia Siddiqui’s trial, Pakistan never officially asked for her release or repatriation to Pakistan, and that even now, Pakistan has to officially seek her repatriation before the current US administration starts thinking about it.

Ha! "Ironically, these sources also revealed that throughout the Dr Aafia Siddiqui’s trial, Pakistan never officially asked for her release or repatriation to Pakistan, and that even now, Pakistan has to officially seek her repatriation before the current US administration starts thinking about it."

Where the Fuck you spent 2 million dollars on??   Why she should keep quite if she has done nothing wrong???

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #61 - March 11, 2010, 03:59 PM

ISLAMABAD: During efforts to trace Dr Aafia Siddiqui’s missing 11-year-old daughter Mariam, international organisations have stumbled upon nearly a dozen juvenile girls who have been languishing in several Afghan jails, sources privy to the search told Daily Times on Tuesday

Every country has juvenille detention facilities. Who are these girls? What is their story? Why are they being held? The inept reporter doesn't bother answering these questions. The reporter knows his audience assumes these girls were kid-napped by CIA ir ISI because that is what they are in business for right? Kidnapping children?

There are many reasons why a country full of orphans, drug dealers, human traffickers and terrorists might take a kid off the streets and put them under some kind of mandatory supervision.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Pak government saved themselves the embarrassment of asking the US to release a proven criminal.

Maintain her silence? The Siddiquis sure haven't been silent have they? What possible accusation could they be silent on?

CIA official to the Siddiquis: Ok, we know that you have told everyone you could that we have kidnapped and murdered children and have tortured and raped Aafia who is completely innocent and a zillion other horrible things about us but we agree to repatriate Dr. Aafia if you don't say anything that will embarrass us.

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." -- Mike Tyson
     Reply #62 - March 14, 2010, 03:27 AM

Bob says   
    CIA official to the Siddiquis:    Ok, we know that you have told everyone you could that we have kidnapped and murdered children and have tortured and raped Aafia who is completely innocent and a zillion other horrible things about us but we agree to repatriate Dr. Aafia if you don't say anything that will embarrass us.

Who and which CIA official said that to Aafia Siddiqui  family dear Bob???

and how do you respond to these allegations of  Aafia Siddiqui  supporters back in home??

Dr. Aafia: Allegations & Facts    

Allegations: Extraordinary Rendition… Torture… Kidnapping & Child Abuse

Fact: Dr. Aafia alleges that she has been held captive for over five years, that she and her children were abducted and separated, two of who are still missing.

Fact: The FBI’s Seeking Information Alert states; "although the FBI has no information indicating this individual is connected to specific terrorist activities, the FBI would like to locate and question this individual."

Fact: The official charges against Dr. Aafia are that she assaulted U.S. soldiers in Ghazni, Afghanistan, with one of the servicemen’s own rifles, while she was in custody to be interrogated by them.

Fact: No U.S. personnel were injured.

Fact: Dr. Aafia was shot and survived surgery in the infamous prison in Bagram, Afghanistan.

Fact: The affidavit filed in the U.S. district court is NOT from an eye witness, but from a third party account of the events in Ghazni.

Fact: No one who was physically present at the incident has filed any sworn statement as to what actually happened in Ghazni.

Fact: Dr. Aafia categorically denies ever handling a rifle or pointing one at anyone.

Fact: To this day, Dr. Aafia has not been charged with terrorism.

Reply #63 - March 14, 2010, 03:51 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zec9MRxIsbY

When asked about Dr. Aafia,  Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi said that if he could bring back Dr. Aafia from America, he would do this today.

http://www.onlinenews.com.pk/details.php?id=159948

So what is the problem??

propoganda in Pakistan..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9uPt6iKmo

Reply #64 - March 20, 2010, 01:01 PM

Mr.  Robert Fisk   writes  on Saturday, 20 Mar, 2010  about that "The mysterious case of the grey lady of Bagram"

Let us read a bit
    ISLAMABAD: Dr Shams Hassan Faruqi sits amid his rocks and geological records, shakes his bearded head and stares at me. “I strongly doubt if the children are alive,” he says. “Probably, they have expired.” He says this in a strange way, mournful but resigned, yet somehow he seems oddly unmoved. As a witness, supposedly, to the mysterious 2008 re-appearance of Aafia Siddiqui – the “most wanted woman in the world”, according to former US attorney general John Ashcroft – I guess this 73-year-old Pakistani geologist is used to the limelight. But the children, I ask him again. What happened to the children?

Dr Faruqi is Aafia Siddiqui’s uncle and he produces a photograph of his niece at the age of 13, picnicking in the Margalla hills above Islamabad, a smiling girl in a yellow shalwar khameez, half-leaning against a tree. She does not look like the stuff of which Al-Qaeda operatives are made. Yet she is now a semi-icon in Pakistan, a country which may well have been involved in her original kidnapping and which now oh-so-desperately wants her back from an American prison. Her children, weirdly, disconcertingly, have been forgotten.

Aafia Siddiqui’s story is now as famous in Pakistan as it is notorious in a New York City courtroom where her trial for trying to kill an American soldier in the Afghan city of Ghazni in 2008 – she was convicted this month and faces a minimum of 20 years in prison on just one of the charges against her – is regarded as a symbol of American injustice. “Shame on America,” posters scream in all of Pakistan’s major cities. She is known as the “grey lady of Bagram”, supposedly tortured for five years in America’s cruel Afghan prison. President Asif Ali Zardari has asked American envoy Richard Holbrooke to repatriate Siddiqui under the Pakistan-US prisoner exchange scheme, while the Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has dubbed her a “daughter of the nation”. Opposition leader Nawaz Sharif promises to demand her release. But none of them mention the children. Ahmed, Sulieman and Maryam are their names.

Ahmed was returned to Pakistan from Afghanistan in 2008, but Dr Faruqi tells me he doesn’t believe for a moment that it is Aafia Siddiqui’s son.  “He came here to stay with me, but he said he didn’t know Aafia until he was taken to Ghazni. He said to me: ‘I was in the big earthquake in Afghanistan and my brothers and sisters were killed in their home while I was out fetching water – that’s what saved my life.’ He told me that after the earthquake, he was put in an orphanage in Kabul. He was shown a photograph of my niece Aafia and said he did not know this lady, that he had never seen her before. Then he was taken to Ghazni and told to sit next to this woman – my niece. The boy is intelligent. He is simple. He is honest.”

All such mysteries require a “story-so-far”. It goes like this. Aafia Siddiqui, a 38-year-old neuroscientist, an MIT alumna and Brandeis university PhD, disappeared after leaving her sister’s home for Karachi airport in 2003, taking Ahmed, Sulieman and Maryam with her. The Americans say she was a leading Al-Qaeda operative. So does her ex-husband. She had re-married Ammar al-Baluchi, currently in Guantanamo Bay, a cousin of Ramzi Yousef who was convicted for the 1993 World Trade Centre bombing. Not, you might, say, a healthy curriculum vitae in the West’s obsessive “war on terror”. In 2004, the UN identified her as an Al-Qaeda operative.

But released inmates from the notorious American prison at Bagram near Kabul– where torture is commonplace and at least three prisoners have been murdered – have stated that there was a woman held there, a woman whose nightly screams prompted them to go on hunger strike. She was dubbed the “grey lady of Bagram”. At her New York trial, Siddiqui demanded that Jewish members of the jury be dismissed, she fired her own defence lawyers who said she had become unbalanced after torture; Siddiqui blurted out that she had been tortured in secret prisons before her arrest. “If you were in a secret prison ... where children were murdered...” she said.

And so to the town of Ghazni, south of Kabul. It was here that Afghan police stopped her in 2008, carrying a handbag which supposedly contained details of chemical weapons and radiological agents, notes on mass casualty attacks on US targets and maps of Ghazni. American soldiers and FBI agents were summoned to question her and arrived in Ghazni without realising that Siddiqui was in the same room, sitting behind a curtain. According to their evidence, she managed to take one of their M-4 assault rifles and opened fire. She missed but was cut down by two bullets from a 9mm pistol fired by one of the soldiers. Hence the charges. Hence the conviction.

She wasn’t helped by an alleged statement by Khalid Sheikh Mohammed – the man who supposedly planned 9/11 and who is the uncle of her second husband, Ammar al-Baluchi – who claimed that Aafia Siddiqui was a senior Al-Qaeda agent. But then, he’d just been waterboarded 183 times in a month – which hardly makes his evidence, to use a phrase, water-tight.

The questions are obvious. What on earth was a Pakistani American with a Brandeis degree doing in Ghazni with a handbag containing American targets? And why, if her family was so fearful for her, didn’t they report her missing in 2003, go to the press and tell the story of the children?[/b] Ahmed – son of Siddiqui or Afghan orphan, depending on your point of view – is now staying with Siddiqui’s sister, Fauzia, in Karachi; but she refuses to let him talk to journalists. The Americans have shown no interest in him – even less in the other two, younger children. Why not?

It’s odd, to say the least, that Dr Faruqi also maintains that in 2008 – before the Ghazni incident – Aafia Siddiqui turned up at his home in the suburbs of Islamabad. “She was wearing a burqa and got out of the car, just outside here,” he says, pointing to the tree-lined street outside his office window. “I only caught sight of her once, and I said ‘You have changed your nose’. But it was her. We talked about the past, her memories, it was her voice. She said the ISI (the Inter-Services Intelligence) had let her come here. She wanted to get away, to go back to Afghanistan where she said the Taliban would protect her. She said that since her arrest, she knew nothing of her children. Someone told her they had been sent to Australia.”

More questions. If Siddiqui was a “ghost prisoner” in Afghanistan, how come she turned up at Dr Faruqi’s home in Islamabad? Why would she wear an Afghan “burqa” in the cosmopolitan capital of her own country? Why did she not talk more about her children? Why could she not show her face to her own uncle? Did she really come to Islamabad?

Fauzia Siddiqui is now touring Pakistan to publicise her sister’s “unfair” trial, her torture at the hands of Americans. Most of the Pakistan press have taken up her story with little critical attention to the allegations against her. She has become a proto-martyr, a martyr-in-being; if her story is comprehensible, it requires a willing suspension of disbelief. But America’s constant protestations of ignorance about her whereabouts before 2008 have an unhappy ring about them.

And the children? Rarely written about in Pakistan, they, too, in a sense, were “disappeared” from the story – until the Afghan President, Hamid Karzai, paid an uneasy visit to Pakistan this week and, according to Fauzia, told the Interior minister, Rehman Malik, that “the children of Aafia Siddiqui will be sent home soon”. Was Karzai referring to the other two children? Or to all three, including the “real” Ahmed? And if Aafia’s two/three children are in Afghanistan, where have they been kept? In an orphanage? In a prison? And who kept them? The Afghans? The Americans?Dawn/The Independent News Service

Strange people., strange story., and ABSOLUTE NUT CASE with MIT education. She RUINED her life and her husband life and her children   lives  for the sake of ROGUES OF Karachi with CULTISH Islam in her brain.  But the question of  Mr.  Robert Fisk    is quite valid

Why didn’t Aafia Siddiqui's family report her missing in 2003, asks Robert Fisk. – 

Reply #65 - March 27, 2010, 10:17 PM

Another Article on Aafia Siddiqui Now by that famous man..  

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/the-newspaper/international/the-mysterious-case-of-the-grey-lady-of-bagram-030
    .......She does not look like the stuff of which Al-Qaeda operatives are made. Yet she is now a semi-icon in Pakistan, a country which may well have been involved in her original kidnapping and which now oh-so-desperately wants her back from an American prison. Her children, weirdly, disconcertingly, have been forgotten.

.... President Asif Ali Zardari has asked American envoy Richard Holbrooke to repatriate Siddiqui under the Pakistan-US prisoner exchange scheme, while the Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has dubbed her a “daughter of the nation”. Opposition leader Nawaz Sharif promises to demand her release. But none of them mention the children. Ahmed, Sulieman and Maryam are their names.

Ahmed was returned to Pakistan from Afghanistan in 2008, but Dr Faruqi tells me he doesn’t believe for a moment that it is Aafia Siddiqui’s son. “He came here to stay with me, but he said he didn’t know Aafia until he was taken to Ghazni. He said to me: ‘I was in the big earthquake in Afghanistan and my brothers and sisters were killed in their home while I was out fetching water – that’s what saved my life.’ He told me that after the earthquake, he was put in an orphanage in Kabul. He was shown a photograph of my niece Aafia and said he did not know this lady, that he had never seen her before. Then he was taken to Ghazni and told to sit next to this woman – my niece. The boy is intelligent. He is simple. He is honest.”

The questions are obvious. What on earth was a Pakistani American with a Brandeis degree doing in Ghazni with a handbag containing American targets? And why, if her family was so fearful for her, didn’t they report her missing in 2003, go to the press and tell the story of the children? Ahmed – son of Siddiqui or Afghan orphan, depending on your point of view – is now staying with Siddiqui’s sister, Fauzia, in Karachi; but she refuses to let him talk to journalists. The Americans have shown no interest in him – even less in the other two, younger children. Why not?

More questions. If Siddiqui was a “ghost prisoner” in Afghanistan, how come she turned up at Dr Faruqi’s home in Islamabad? Why would she wear an Afghan “burqa” in the cosmopolitan capital of her own country? Why did she not talk more about her children? Why could she not show her face to her own uncle? Did she really come to Islamabad?

And the children? Rarely ...

Well Sir I have the same questions but where are the answers??  any that man who wrote that piece is this man..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPevTPWjocM

Read it all at the link..

with best
    yeezevee

Reply #66 - April 04, 2010, 09:56 PM

Dr. Aafia Siddiqi’s daughter brought home: reports  says news  http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=102174

KARACHI: Unknown men on Sunday brought a 12-year-old girl at the residence of Dr. Aafia’s Siddiqi’s sister Dr. Fauzia Siddiqi in Karachi.

They claimed that the girl was the missing daughter of Dr. Aafia Siddiqi, who was currently in a US prison.

Meanwhile, a large number media persons after receiving the reports, gathered outside the residence of Dr. Fauzia. According to eyewitnesses, the girl has been taken inside the house along with the people, who brought her.

On the other hand, NADRA officials got the fingerprints of the girl so that her relationship with Dr. Aafia could be verified.

Dr. Fauzia said that she was not aware who this girl was because she was not being allowed to speak to anyone.

Huh!  What kind of news is this?  Is she really her daughter?  How on this earth fingerprints of the girl will prove that she is  Dr. Aafia's daughter??

Reply #67 - April 10, 2010, 01:25 PM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
    This Siddiqui family is so full of shit.
    Look how they've trained their son how to perform in front of the press.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoHEB8-5JMo&feature=player_embedded

My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." -- Mike Tyson
     Reply #68 - April 10, 2010, 02:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u_cbLwdEXE

propaganda   ..propaganda   ...propaganda   .. Islamic propaganda machinery.  It used to work very well with Allah knows the best in the past..

It doesn't work any more.  People will look everything critically.. 

Reply #69 - April 13, 2010, 09:17 AM

Come clean, there is still time    says Kamran Shafi

And I agree with him..

Maryam Saddiqui, the missing daughter of Aafia Siddiqui, has been identified after mysteriously reappearing on her family's doorstep, a top Pakistani official said. The 12-year-old is one of three children of Aafia Siddiqui. –AP Photo

The child was left at Dr Aafia Siddiqui’s house by an American the child referred to as ‘Uncle John’ and who has since disappeared into thin air.

I have long held that Dr Siddiqui’s case was/is a very curious one indeed. Let us recap from the time that she disappeared from Karachi in the company of her three children in March 2003 until the time (July 17, 2008) that she was found loitering outside the Ghazni governor’s compound in Afghanistan in the company of a young lad said to be her son and both were taken into custody by the Afghan police.

She was alleged to be carrying inflammable materials and maps of potential targets in the United States “in jars” in her handbag. How big these ‘jars’ were, and how many kilogrammes of explosives were being transported in them was not mentioned to astounded readers.

We were not told either what in the world Dr Siddiqui was doing in Ghazni, Afghanistan, right outside the governor’s compound and under the very noses of American and Afghan forces and police. I wrote at the time that mayhap she had gone to Ghazni to catch the United Airlines early evening flight to JFK.

We were also informed that the next day, Dr Siddiqui had been shot in the abdomen “at least once” by an American soldier in self-defence after coming under fire from Dr Siddiqui who had come rushing out from behind a curtain where she was being held “unrestrained” for questioning, and picking up an M4 service rifle that had been left “at his feet” by an American warrant officer, had fired at him. And that but for the timely deflection of her shot by an Afghan interpreter she should have killed the American.

Whilst her son was arrested with her in Ghazni we were also told in a letter penned to the press by the US ambassador to Pakistan H.E. Anne Patterson that the American authorities had absolutely no idea about what had happened to her three children who had disappeared with her in March 2003. And now this young child turns up at her grandparents home in Karachi in the company of ‘Uncle John’. Curiouser and curiouser.

This story was beyond belief then, it is beyond belief now. It defied credibility then, it defies credibility now. There are holes the size of the Titanic in this ‘official’ version of events and at the time that this seeming poppycock was being rolled out, I had written a riposte to the US ambassador’s letter on several aspects.

For example as someone who has handled small arms as a soldier in the infantry; has taught them, and therefore has fired thousands of rounds from all types of small arms, I couldn’t for the life of me imagine even a first-class shooter pick up a rifle he/she did not know, cock it, find the safety catch and flip it, and fire it in under the three seconds that it probably took the alleged Afghan translator to allegedly lunge at Siddiqui and allegedly deflect her alleged shot.

I also asked why Siddiqui had been shot at after she had been overpowered by the Afghan translator and had probably been well and truly subdued, for she is no Samson.

To prove the point that it was highly unlikely for this frail woman to do what she was alleged to have done, I suggested to the ambassador who seems to have the same dimensions as Dr Siddiqui to get one of her Marines at the embassy to place a loaded M4 service rifle (on ‘safe’ as is the standard operating procedure) on the ground near her. She should then pick it up, cock it, flip the safety catch and fire it. I had suggested that she may well fail to even cock the seven-pound heavy rifle in 10 seconds, let alone fire it in three.

I had reminded the ambassador of the embarrassment, nay disgrace, his handlers brought her former boss, the good Gen Colin Powell, when they made him tell white lies on live TV about Iraq’s so-called weapons of mass destruction.

I had said that whilst America had its Sarah ‘Barracuda’ Palins also, who can shoot and skin (and eat?) a moose in under 17 minutes, what we Pakistanis must do is to pray with all our might that Barack Obama and Joe Biden beat the living daylights out of McCain and the Barracuda. And that we are rid of the neocon madmen and women who not only hold America the Beautiful by the jugular, but the rest of the world by the throat too.

Well, friends, we are rid of the mindless ‘Dubya’ and his keepers; the intelligent and compassionate Barack Obama is now the president of the mightiest country on the face of the planet. Now then Excellency, who is this Maryam girl; and who is her Uncle John? And where is Dr Siddiqui’s third child please?

As I have said earlier, if some foolish official has messed up on the Afia Siddiqui case please do not exacerbate the matter by covering up for him/her and bringing America the Beautiful into more disrepute. Tell the whole truth even now; put the matter right even now. Dr Afia Siddiqui is accused of crimes ranging from buying blood diamonds to planning terrorist attacks to being the vilest person on earth. Yet, she was charged in court with what can only be called an impossible crime.

Please act now, if only for the reason that America is home to some of the kindest hearted and generous and warm and disarmingly simple people anywhere on this planet.

And I have to agree with Kamran Shafi  in many ways.  Americans and Pakistan's Govt and Dr Siddiqui's family should come clean on this case..

Reply #70 - April 13, 2010, 12:46 PM

This dumby doesn't even have the basic facts.
    She was shot by a US shoulder twice. She was not shot by an Afghan interpreter.

The Siddiqui family needs to come clean.

Of course this girl is so shaken up she can never talk to the press just like her brother.

Reply #71 - April 13, 2010, 02:43 PM

This dumby doesn't even have the basic facts.
    She was shot by a US shoulder twice. She was not shot by an Afghan interpreter.

the author of that article also  says "She was shot by a US shoulder" not by  Afghan interpreter dear Submissive Bob., You may have not  read it carefully..
    We were also informed that the next day, Dr Siddiqui had been shot in the abdomen “at least once” by an American soldier in self-defence  after coming under fire from Dr Siddiqui who had come rushing out from behind a curtain where she was being held “unrestrained” for questioning, and picking up an M4 service rifle that had been left “at his feet” by an American warrant officer, had fired at him. And that but for the timely deflection of her shot by an Afghan interpreter she should have killed the American.

Reply #72 - April 13, 2010, 03:11 PM

Oh..OK then.
     whistling2

Reply #73 - July 25, 2010, 07:10 PM

Aafia Siddiqui mystery: extracting the hard facts

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2010\07\10\story_10-7-2010_pg7_19

Ever since Dr Aafia Siddiqui was convicted in New York of assault and attempted murder of US soldiers and FBI agents in Afghanistan, a segment of the Pakistani media has hailed her as a martyr. In Washington, by contrast, US Attorney General Eric Holder cited her trial as proof that, despite al Qaeda’s emotion-provoking and deceptive tactics, America’s civilian courts are capable of taking terrorists to task. Aafia’s supporters accuse Washington and its Pakistani allies of framing the scientist in Afghanistan after secretly imprisoning her for five years as part of the war against terror. Yet, Washington claims she spent those years on the run, after the FBI listed her in 2003 as ‘wanted for questioning’ and a year later in 2004 among the ‘FBI Most Wanted’ for connections with al Qaeda.

Her trial did little to answer key questions, such as why was Aafia listed on the ‘FBI Most Wanted’ and why was she not charged with terrorism in her trial now? Facts by intelligence sources solve the mystery. Published reports agree that Aafia studied in Boston for 10 years, five prior to her marriage in 1995 to her first husband, Dr Amjad Khan. Even prior to her arrival in America, she had close family ties with Gen Ziaul Haq’s family and their jihadist/al Qaeda contacts during the Afghan-Soviet war.
    She affiliated herself with Boston’s radical organisations when the war in Iraq and then in Bosnia started in 1991-92. She participated in recruiting students and raising funds for these organisations and in delivering speeches in Qaeda’s support. All these activities were entirely legal under US freedom of speech and civil laws. That’s precisely why despite the FBI’s knowledge of such activities no action could be taken until Washington had evidence that members of these organisations took steps against America.

Aafia’s first husband joined her in Boston after their 1995 marriage. In his referenced interviews, Amjad has acknowledged that he was coerced by his wife to not only look after their children, but also provide other kinds of support while she spent her time as a member of these Islamic charities – a chore Amjad unhappily fulfilled by sacrificing his own medical training and academic commitments for the sake of his marriage.

Much to the chagrin of the Siddiqui family, Amjad, after completing his specialisation from the US, divorced Aafia in August 2002, and married, in September 2002, a girl of his choice. So why did Aafia get deeper into trouble while Amjad was cleared by the FBI? That question has dodged many truth-seekers, mainly because investigative reports from 2003-08 were one-sided, with only Aafia’s family’s vindictive versions being presented, while Amjad’s family assumed a silence.

American intelligence officials say just prior to their divorce, the FBI Boston had interviewed the couple in May 2002, as part of a post 9/11 investigation into the organizations that Aafia belonged to. FBI agents have stated that Aafia was the focus of the interview and its purpose was information gathering and cross verification. Amjad had made Internet purchases of hunting/out-door equipment and a civilian night vision scope, which, the FBI said, was not of concern after it was established that the purchases were legal and that the gear was for personal use. To avoid any future trouble, he had returned the night vision scope and certain books he had ordered, before he finally left the US, even though the FBI had allowed him to keep them.

According to James Merberg, the couple’s US lawyer, who assisted them with their first FBI interview, Amjad came through clean during his questioning, but Aafia deliberately and mockingly gave false and misleading answers to several questions. This is where Aafia’s troubles started, because lying to the FBI is a crime punishable under US law.

Officials of the FBI Boston have said Aafia aroused further suspicion in 2002 after the couple left the US in the midst of their routine investigation, prompting them to be placed on the “Aviation Watch List”. Amjad has told a Pakistani joint interrogation team Aafia had a violent and extremist mentality and constantly tried to manipulate him, and that she was hysterically adamant on leaving the US because she was paranoid about the FBI harming her due to her al Qaeda connections. Amjad had to destroy his career when he decided to leave with his wife and children. But, he left because at that stage he just had to divorce Aafia, in Pakistan, with the consent of his parents.

A Pakistani intelligence officer assigned to the case revealed that the factual reason the couple was named on the global “wanted for questioning” alert in March 2003, had nothing to do with Aafia’s or Amjad’s activities while they were married and in the US.
    He says the alert was actually in response to Aafia’s seven-day trip for an al Qaeda mission to Baltimore, US, alone in January 2003, after she was divorced by Amjad, but using a visa sponsored by him as his wife. She tried to help an al Qaeda member Majid Khan gain re-entry to the US by pretending that Majid was still in the US when she mailed his visa renewal application to the US Immigration Service, and also opened a PO Box for the receipt of his visa documents. “Because Aafia was on the ‘watch list’, the FBI was informed by the FIA as soon as she boarded the flight and her movements were closely followed while she was in the US,” disclosed the official.

The FBI investigation that followed, uncovered a ring of al Qaeda members, including Aafia’s second husband Ammar Balochi, Uzair Paracha and Khalid Sheikh, all of whom were subsequently arrested. Their interrogation revealed that they had conspired to use Majid for bombing gas stations and underwater traffic tunnels in Baltimore. Because Aafia had made the trip on a visa as Amjad’s wife, the FBI didn’t know about their divorce and issued the global ‘wanted for questioning’ alert for both of them.

After the alert, Amjad volunteered to be interviewed by the FBI and was jointly interrogated by the FBI Baltimore and the ISI in March 2003, and was cleared. His name was thus taken off the FBI’s website and list. Amjad informed the investigators about his divorce and ignorance about Aafia’s subsequent contacts and activities. Soon after the interview, Amjad took up a job as a consultant at a prestigious hospital in Saudi Arabia.

An ISI officer, privy to the case, confided that Aafia, after her divorce in August 2002, had contacted Khalid Sheikh (the self-proclaimed 9/11 mastermind) and had volunteered her services. That’s how she got recruited for the Baltimore bombing plot. After she returned from her Baltimore trip, Khalid arranged her second marriage in February 2003 in Karachi to his nephew Ammar Balochi. Soon thereafter, Khalid, Majid and Ammar (accused of financing 9/11) all got arrested, were interrogated and then transferred to the Guantanamo Bay and are currently awaiting trial.

The ISI says Aafia was offered an interview with the FBI under ISI protection, in response to the 2003 ‘wanted for questioning alert’ to get herself cleared. But she refused and decided to go underground instead. The media then started circulating unfounded and conflicting stories about Aafia’s capture, along with her three children, and her handover to the FBI, with some of these ostensible claims attributed to the officials of Pakistan’s Interior Ministry. When Amjad contacted the FBI and the US ambassador, he was told “neither Aafia nor your children were ever arrested, no reward has been offered for Aafia’s arrest and the search for her is still on”. The ISI was actually directed by the Siddiqui family’s close friend and then minister Ijazul Haq to protect Aafia and to conceal her whereabouts from the FBI.

Dr Faisal Qureshi, an International Relations scholar at the Bowling Green University, believes the media confusion in 2003 about Aafia’s arrest was a deliberate but misguided effort to get the FBI off her trail. But, the plan backfired when US Attorney General Ashcroft, and FBI Director Muller, as a consequence of Islamabad’s apparent unwillingness to locate and provide the required information about Aafia, listed her among the ‘FBI Most Wanted’ in May 2004. Washington feared al Qaeda could capitalise on the confusion in the media to use her for new terror plots.

Two days later, then interior minister Faisal Hayat admitted that “Aafia had neither been arrested nor handed over to the US” and dismissed the previous statements attributed to bureaucrats as “baseless and concocted”. Aafia’s fate, and with her that of the Pakistani intelligence agencies, had been sealed – she had become the “Most Wanted Woman in the World”. According to Dr Qureshi, a more prudent approach for Pakistani politicians would have been to admit back in 2003 that Aafia doesn’t want to provide information against her associates in the Baltimore terror plot, and that she will remain in Pakistan under ISI protection. Aafia herself corroborated this, in her confession statement to FBI agents, after her arrest in Afghanistan in July 2008, that she was free and living in Pakistan under ISI surveillance during the ‘missing’ years.

Why was Aafia not charged with terrorism during her trial? Diplomat Fakir Hussain provided the answer to journalists present in the courtroom, where Aafia was being tried. Hussain had accompanied Ambassador Haqqani for his meeting about the case with the US attorney general and said Washington’s aim was to bring Aafia to justice, and they could easily manage that with the attempted murder charges.

“Although she was a co-conspirator in the Baltimore terror plot, convicting her on terrorism charges would require bringing Majid, Khalid and Ammar to the stand, and Washington doesn’t want to do that until a final decision about the nature of the trial of these three is made,” Hussain said.
    Regardless, Washington achieved its objective of convicting the “grey lady of al Qaeda”, who was so committed to its cause that she threw away her education, destroyed her marriage and put her children in harms way.

And that is published on July 10th 2010..

STUPID LADY foolishly get brain washed by  religious rogues...  Ph. D,  MIT.. she could have done so much to Muslim ladies.. fool become pawn in the hands of religious rogues..

Reply #74 - July 25, 2010, 07:11 PM

STUPID LADY foolishly get brain washed by  religious rogues...  Ph. D,  MIT.. she could have done so much to Muslim ladies.. fool become pawn in the hands of religious rogues..

Goes to show that being educated and being smart are two very different things.

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #75 - July 25, 2010, 07:47 PM

That still wont stop her from being called the "Daughter of Pakistan" by our friendly politicians here...

Pakistan Zindabad? ya Pakistan sey Zinda bhaag?

Long Live Pakistan? Or run with your lives from Pakistan?
     Reply #76 - July 25, 2010, 08:07 PM

Goes to show that being educated and being smart are two very different things.

Afro Indeed!  or....it's a poor reflection on the American Education system  Kiss............. Wink

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #77 - July 25, 2010, 08:08 PM

You can't educate stupid.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #78 - July 25, 2010, 08:24 PM

But you can give them fancy degrees and make them look smart! Cheesy

The World is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
                                   Thomas Paine

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored !- Aldous Huxley
     Reply #79 - July 25, 2010, 08:30 PM

it's a poor reflection on the American Education system  Kiss............. Wink

Nah, after post secondaries it's really up to the person.

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #80 - July 25, 2010, 08:42 PM

A degree has no bearing on how smart you are.  Just how many hoops you want to jump through and how well you follow directions.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
     Reply #81 - July 25, 2010, 08:45 PM

That still wont stop her from being called the "Daughter of Pakistan" by our friendly politicians here...

Talking about "Daughter of Pakistan" .,  Gool Minwalla comes in to mind..

Gool Minwalla was one of the few leading women social workers who joined hands with Begum Raana Liaquat Ali Khan when she established the All-Pakistan Women’s Association (APWA) for the welfare of the women soon after partition.

Born on May 1, 1913, Gool was one of her parents’ six children — three girls and three boys. She studied at Mama Parsi Girls School and after doing her matriculation, she joined the school as a teacher.

She took a teachers’ training course at Adyar, Madras (now Chennai), conducted by Maria Montessori, in 1939, and gained an international diploma for education of children aged between 2- 1/2 and 6 years. On her return, she established the first montessori school in Karachi, which is still operational. It was accredited by the Association of Montessori International (AMI) in Amsterdam. Gool Minwalla started her own Montessori Casa dei Bambini in 1941. Since 1965 Mrs. Minwalla has been Director of Training at the Montessori Teachers Training Centre based in Karachi. In addition she has held many functions in the fields of welfare and education, receiving ample recognition for her work from official authorities. The latest award conferred upon Gool Minwalla was one given during a ceremony at the Seventh World Zoroastrian Congress, held in Houston, USA, where her efforts and dedication in the service of children in Pakistan were recognized

Errr   Parsis?? stupid Zoroastrians??  move them out of the country.. Allah..allaha.. allah ..

Talking about this Modern daughter of  land of pure who conspires to kill 3000 or so Americans and  on top of it 100,000 Afghan / pashtuns because of so-called war on terror.,   THESE IDIOTS FROM PUNJAB are  Protesting against her  detention in the Land of Freedom.  The news says

LAHORE

LAWYERS, representatives of the civil society, doctors, engineers, teachers and students held a protest demonstration on Saturday for the release of Dr Aafia Siddiqui from the US detention.

On the call of the Supreme Court Bar Association and Judicial Activism Panel, a large number of people gathered at the GPO Chowk.

They were holding placards and banners inscribed with slogans for the release of Dr Aafia. The protesters also chanted slogans in favour of Dr Afia and against the Us government and its judicial system.

Addressing the gathering, JAP chairman Muhammad Azhar Siddique advocate said Aafia’s trial in America was illegal and a violation of international laws. He said she was arrested from Pakistan and her arrest was not disclosed for seven years, therefore, she should be tried in Pakistan. He said if Aafia was not released by August 14, the protesters would march to the American embassy in Islamabad.

.... SCBA Secretary Raja Zulqarnain said lawyers would continue their struggle till the release of Dr Aafia.

read it all at http://www.thenews.com.pk/daily_detail.asp?id=252704  and these guys are  doctors,  actors and engineers, and what not..

Baboons in Bisho'ur cult makes every one Dayyoos of 7th century Arabian foolish doctrine in the name of Arabian Pagan god allah..

Reply #82 - July 25, 2010, 08:57 PM

A degree has no bearing on how smart you are.  Just how many hoops you want to jump through and how well you follow directions.

Yep. Just look at me, I have an engineering degree.  Tells you all you need about education vs smartness. Afro

Reply #83 - July 25, 2010, 09:49 PM

I agree, there's much more to being educated than getting degrees. And there's much more to being smart, wise, critical thinking, than regimented school-based education. This idea of becoming a critical thinker, of having independent, self-reflected upon, thoughts is barely valued in secular cultures, and almost not valued at all in cultures, communities and families who don't want their kids to grow up and question the things they were taught (usually based on religious dogmas).

Here's an article, a speech by a valedictorian on this topic that some of you may find interesting:

Some of you may be thinking, "Well, if you pass a test, or become valedictorian, didn't you learn something? Well, yes, you learned something, but not all that you could have. Perhaps, you only learned how to memorize names, places, and dates to later on forget in order to clear your mind for the next test. School is not all that it can be. Right now, it is a place for most people to determine that their goal is to get out as soon as possible.

I am now accomplishing that goal. I am graduating. I should look at this as a positive experience, especially being at the top of my class. However, in retrospect, I cannot say that I am any more intelligent than my peers. I can attest that I am only the best at doing what I am told and working the system. Yet, here I stand, and I am supposed to be proud that I have completed this period of indoctrination. I will leave in the fall to go on to the next phase expected of me, in order to receive a paper document that certifies that I am capable of work. But I contest that I am a human being, a thinker, an adventurer - not a worker. A worker is someone who is trapped within repetition - a slave of the system set up before him. But now, I have successfully shown that I was the best slave. I did what I was told to the extreme. While others sat in class and doodled to later become great artists, I sat in class to take notes and become a great test-taker. While others would come to class without their homework done because they were reading about an interest of theirs, I never missed an assignment. While others were creating music and writing lyrics, I decided to do extra credit, even though I never needed it. So, I wonder, why did I even want this position? Sure, I earned it, but what will come of it? When I leave educational institutionalism, will I be successful or forever lost? I have no clue about what I want to do with my life; I have no interests because I saw every subject of study as work, and I excelled at every subject just for the purpose of excelling, not learning. And quite frankly, now I'm scared.

To illustrate this idea, doesn't it perturb you to learn about the idea of "critical thinking." Is there really such a thing as "uncritically thinking?" To think is to process information in order to form an opinion. But if we are not critical when processing this information, are we really thinking? Or are we mindlessly accepting other opinions as truth?

This was happening to me, and if it wasn't for the rare occurrence of an avant-garde tenth grade English teacher, Donna Bryan, who allowed me to open my mind and ask questions before accepting textbook doctrine, I would have been doomed. I am now enlightened, but my mind still feels disabled. I must retrain myself and constantly remember how insane this ostensibly sane place really is.

And now here I am in a world guided by fear, a world suppressing the uniqueness that lies inside each of us, a world where we can either acquiesce to the inhuman nonsense of corporatism and materialism or insist on change. We are not enlivened by an educational system that clandestinely sets us up for jobs that could be automated, for work that need not be done, for enslavement without fervency for meaningful achievement. We have no choices in life when money is our motivational force. Our motivational force ought to be passion, but this is lost from the moment we step into a system that trains us, rather than inspires us.

We are more than robotic bookshelves, conditioned to blurt out facts we were taught in school. We are all very special, every human on this planet is so special, so aren't we all deserving of something better, of using our minds for innovation, rather than memorization, for creativity, rather than futile activity, for rumination rather than stagnation? We are not here to get a degree, to then get a job, so we can consume industry-approved placation after placation. There is more, and more still.

The saddest part is that the majority of students don't have the opportunity to reflect as I did. The majority of students are put through the same brainwashing techniques in order to create a complacent labor force working in the interests of large corporations and secretive government, and worst of all, they are completely unaware of it. I will never be able to turn back these 18 years. I can't run away to another country with an education system meant to enlighten rather than condition. This part of my life is over, and I want to make sure that no other child will have his or her potential suppressed by powers meant to exploit and control. We are human beings. We are thinkers, dreamers, explorers, artists, writers, engineers. We are anything we want to be - but only if we have an educational system that supports us rather than holds us down. A tree can grow, but only if its roots are given a healthy foundation.

For those of you out there that must continue to sit in desks and yield to the authoritarian ideologies of instructors, do not be disheartened. You still have the opportunity to stand up, ask questions, be critical, and create your own perspective. Demand a setting that will provide you with intellectual capabilities that allow you to expand your mind instead of directing it. Demand that you be interested in class. Demand that the excuse, "You have to learn this for the test" is not good enough for you. Education is an excellent tool, if used properly, but focus more on learning rather than getting good grades.

Source: http://www.sott.net/articles/show/212383-Valedictorian-Speaks-Out-Against-Schooling-in-Graduation-Speech

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #84 - July 25, 2010, 11:29 PM

So true..  I hate the fact that here you almost need a PhD to scratch your balls

"Modern man's great illusion has been to convince himself that of all that has gone before he represents the zenith of human accomplishment, but can't summon the mental powers to read anything more demanding than emoticons. Fascinating. "

One very horny Turk I met on the net.
     Reply #85 - August 09, 2010, 01:22 PM

Govt of Pakistan can't be directed to write letter to US court on that fool Afia : Lahore High Court
    http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/Regional/Lahore/03-Aug-2010/Govt-of-Pakistan-cant-be-directed-to-write-letter-to-US-court-LHC

LAHORE - The government of Pakistan does not have any evidence or documents for proving innocence of Pakistani national Dr Aafia Siddiqui in the American trial court so the government of Pakistan can not be directed to write a letter to the American government or the US court in favour of Dr Aafia.

This was observed by Justice Ijaz Ahmed Chaudhry while disposing of a contempt of court petition filed by Baristter Iqbal Jafree against the ministry of foreign affairs for its failure to provide evidence to the American court for establishing innocence of Dr Aafia. The judge, however, observed the private persons like Baristter Jafree may write a letter to the American court for proving the innocence of Dr Aafia if they wanted to do so.
    Earlier, the secretary interior ministry appeared in the court to explain why he did not provide documents to the foreign ministry, which could be helpful in proving innocence of Dr Aafia in the US court.

The secretary submitted the departments and institutions of Pakistan including police and agencies did not have documents or evidence which may be sent to the American court for establishing Aafia’s innocence. He said police investigators also could not find any clue to the popular claim that Dr Aafia was kidnapped in 2003 from Karachi along with her children. He stated the government was not writing letter to the American government or its trial court only because no proof was in hand to support the notion that Dr Aafia was innocent.

In June 2010, the LHC had directed the foreign ministry to provide documents to the counsel of Dr Aafia in America so that it may be proved Aafia did not go to Afghanistan rather she was kidnapped from Karachi along with her children.

Brainless fools waste time talking rubbish and spending taxpayers money..

Reply #86 - August 09, 2010, 03:06 PM

So true..  I hate the fact that here you almost need a PhD to scratch your balls

I think formal education as it stands is very useful, depending upon the career path chosen. For example, I'd hope a surgeon cutting me open had proven knowledge and experience by way of recognised standards in educational qualifications. This doesn't necessarily mean that the surgeon is more capable in general, imo. Just that he has highly specialised knowledge and skills. In much the same way a blacksmith who learned the trade from his father could also be very specialised in his given field, without any formal qualifications. It gets more interesting in a field such as IT where commercial qualifications offered by private companies are often held in higher esteem than academic ones. Academia and formalised education have their place, as do other forms of qualification and experience.

Regardless of the above, I agree with allat that education doesn't automatically equate to the production of generally "smarter" people. Basic education offers a useful toolset for gaining knowledge generally, but it seems to fall to the individual to pursue attainment of teh smarts. Many people simply assume any form of specialised education equates to greater general wisdom and understanding, perhaps out of ignorance (less educated people might consider those with degrees as somehow 'better' owing to greater intellectualism or simply greater social mobility offered by superior career options) or arrogance (more often I've experienced this from people with backgrounds in higher education as a form of snobbery).

Each of us a failed state in stark relief against the backdrop of the perfect worlds we seek.
    Propagandhi - Failed States
  • Counsel urges unity to bring Aafia home _ Aafia Siddiqui (pbuh)
     Reply #87 - December 22, 2010, 05:00 PM

Counsel urges unity to bring Aafia home _ Aafia Siddiqui (pbuh) is abckin News..

http://www.thenews.com.pk/TodaysPrintDetail.aspx?ID=21561&Cat=5

COUNSEL for Dr Aafia Siddiqui, Tina Foster, on Tuesday said Muslims get second class justice in the United States and if Pakistan did not make any serious efforts to bring Aafia home, then the American government would be at liberty to take any Pakistani in illegal detention.

Addressing to a press conference at the Lahore Press Club, Tina said Aafia’s court-appointed lawyers in the US would soon file her appeal challenging both her conviction and her 86-year sentence.

She said that if Aafia’s conviction remained intact, in future all of Pakistan would be a prison. Talking about the miserable condition of Aafia, she said that Aafia was being held in solitary confinement, isolated in a small prison cell where no attorney or family member has been able to see her for many months now.

Aafia is now in a medical unit because she was suffering both mentally and physically, she added.

read it all at the link., But I was under the impression that President of United States is a Son of Muslim..    may be I am wrong..

Reply #88 - December 22, 2010, 05:30 PM

Hyperbole.  Her lawyer has it.

Reply #89 - December 22, 2010, 09:40 PM

Hyperbole.  Her lawyer has it.

Just to let the readers know The  lawyer is  Tina Foster., A is executive director of the New York-based International Justice Network, a human rights group. Ms. Foster was previously a staff attorney with the Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR), handling coordination of pro-bono attorneys handling Guantanamo detainee cases. Prior to that, she was an associate at the New York office of the Clifford Chance law firm, where she worked on Guantanamo detainee cases pro bono.

Incidentally Tina Monshipour Foster is an Iranian American, I wish she could do more to Iran ..  On the  way let us read Ardeshir Cowasjee on this case of Dr. NUT CASE..

How Dr Aafia Siddiqui lost her legal case – by Ardeshir Cowasjee

The national mindset is not given to looking before it leaps, to thinking or to cogitation. Emotions overtake the process of reasoning and the ubiquitous issue of national ‘honour’ and ‘pride’ often defies logic.

Dr Aafia Siddiqui, US citizen,  is a case in point where the truth has got lost somewhere along the way and is now unfathomable. The government of Pakistan has blown $2m defending someone who knackered her own defence. Her ranting in court sealed her fate as far as the jury was concerned.

Her family and supporters, and the political parties of the religious right, used her case to attack government authorities at home and in Washington, but provided no evidence to absolve her.
    They found a controversial ex-congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, an Iranian-born wannabe human rights advocate, Tina Monshipour Foster and Yvonne Ridley, a British journalist who was converted to Islam by the Taliban, to support her case but none managed even one inch of sympathetic press coverage in US — and, what’s more, no major human rights organisation picked up the case.

Why were the international supporters of her case more intent on getting to Pakistan to register their protest than doing so in the States where Dr Siddiqui was imprisoned?

The verdict and sentencing passed by the US court may have been harsh but the comprehensive sentencing judgment goes a long way to explain the whys and wherefores. However, there are jurisdictional issues which need to be examined. For one, how does the US claim jurisdiction to try an alleged offence which did not take place within its territory? She was arrested by the Afghan National Police in Ghazni province in 2008 on charges of suspected terrorism.

The judgment makes a most illuminating read. The judge clearly states that he doesn’t realise why Dr Aafia was in Afghanistan, and we must all wonder, like him, as to what exactly she was doing there in the first place.

On her mental state, while saying that he believes that she is mentally fit to stand trial, he states that “this is most certainly a situation where the defendant’s political beliefs and perspectives blur the line between mental health issues and political advocacy” and “… while this court has found that she is competent, she is in fact suffering from mental illness and diminished capacity. And that has been supported by not only the psychologist we hired for the defence, but also her treating clinician….”

Sending someone like her to prison for a period of 86 years does not seem to be a balanced decision in any legal system. She has a right to appeal but so far has stated that she will not do so.

Such is life — the sane sit in our parliament cleared of their crimes and a mentally incapacitated woman is sentenced to 86 years in jail. Injustice is relatively easy to bear. It is justice that too often stings. And now, Aafia Siddiqui is being used by political parties and ‘civil society’ to vent the anti-American sentiments that are a must if one is to attempt to prove patriotism.

Source: Dawn, 03 Oct, 2010

• Previous page 1 2 34 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »