Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Do you wear contact lenses?

(Read 5933 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Do you wear contact lenses?
     OP - February 05, 2010, 06:19 PM

I'm on a contact lens trial for 2 weeks, but I got sick of them within days. So I arranged an appointment and now I have new contact lenses in (different type - bit more floppy) and I have exactly the same problem. My main problems are:

- My vision varies in degrees of bluriness. Sometimes it's worse than with no contacts in at all. Sometimes the right one is perfect and the left one is blurry, sometimes the right one is blurrier than the left one. I had a short eye test today with contacts in and I kept changing from being able to read one of the smaller line of letters to not being able to read any of them at all. The optician seemed to be baffled! She kept repeating parts of the test because each time it would deliver different results.

- With my previous contact lenses, I would rub my eyes and I would have perfect vision for a couple of blinks. With these new ones that trick doesn't seem to work. So have I got the right prescription? What the hell is going on?

- My peripheral vision is worse with contact lenses than with none at all. I'm talking about my peripheral vision at the very extremes here, so I'm not sure whether I'm just being fussy, or what? Maybe what I'm looking at is the edge of the contact lens and therefore it's like looking through the edge of rimless glasses: blurry. However, my gf wears contacts and she says she doesn't have this peripheral vision problem at all. Do any of you who wear contacts have this problem? If you do have you just learnt to cope with it?

Optician: "Maybe you have dry eyes"
    Me: "But I've been wearing them for a couple of days and they've been the same every day"
    Optician: "Maybe you have had dry eyes every day"
    Me: 'o.O *I think I would know by now if I had such a persistent problem*

Anyway she put eyedrops in my eyes too and it made no difference.

So anyway I'm going to get a proper eye check next friday to see if my prescription has changed and to check my general eye health. But even if my prescription has changed and I get new contact lenses, what's to say it's going to stop the consistent variation in degrees of blurriness that I get now?

Really weird... Anyone tried contact lenses but decided they weren't comfortable with them?

The unlived life is not worth examining.
  • Re: Do you wear contact lenses?
     Reply #1 - February 05, 2010, 10:11 PM

I had the dry eye problem, so I was prescribed hard contact lenses.  After that I was fine with soft contacts

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #2 - February 06, 2010, 01:24 AM

What is your peripheral vision like? Is wearing contact lenses for you just like having perfect vision?

Reply #3 - February 06, 2010, 01:33 AM

almost, but they move around sometime which gets irritating  - would never swap them for glasses though

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #4 - February 06, 2010, 01:34 AM

How do you know when they move around? I've considered whether that is what is causing my problem (that they are moving around) but how would I know that is happening? It would explain the irregularities though...

Reply #5 - February 06, 2010, 01:41 AM

your focus changes when you blink

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #6 - February 06, 2010, 01:47 AM

Well that's what happens to me... but then it just remained unfocused when I keep my eye open. So I blink again, and again. Then it might get a bit better. Then it get's worse. Then better again. Then worse again.

Reply #7 - February 07, 2010, 10:21 AM

I've been wearing (supple) contact lenses for almost five years now, never had any major problem. I feel more comfortable wearing glasses, but since I'm vain I wear contacts whenever I go out.  grin12

Do you guys wear them all the time, even when sleeping?

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #8 - February 07, 2010, 12:20 PM

no, throw them in the bin (their daily disposables) when I sleep and put on a fresh pair in the morning

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #9 - February 09, 2010, 11:39 AM

I was told that if you go to sleep wearing contact lenses then you should call the doctor in the morning and get the doctor to take the contacts out. Very important not to take them out yourself apparently, but my gf thinks it's no big deal.

Reply #10 - February 09, 2010, 11:46 AM

I used to wear different colour contact lenses in my youth  Old geezer lol and fall asleep with them sometimes, but just took them out myself in the morning.  I heard the horror stories too, but thankfully that never happened to me.

I had clear vision even with the coloured ones, even after blinking, but I don't know the score with prescription ones and stuff, so no help from this end.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #11 - February 09, 2010, 03:03 PM

@ J4

Your problem seems that your contacts do NOT FIT WELL on your corneas. Drop the Optician and go see an Optometrist (or even an Ophthalmologist).

Btw, only the central portion of the contact lens is truly a lens... Now, when you look at a sharp angle, this might cause blurriness as the lens might not be centered well on your cornea.

Also, the varying degrees of of blurriness you describe is again due to misfitting (it seems the contacts are so misfit that even blinking can cause them to move out of centre enough to cause noticeable blurriness).

It all has to do with the fitting AND the brand (as well as good contact lens hygene: NEVER sleep in them REGARDLESS, never get water in your eyes while wearing them, etc).

Finally, some eyes are just not created for contacts (no contacts would fit them well regardless). It could be worse... some people upon wearing contacts, their eyes turn blood-shot immediately or get an itch, etc (by the way: NEVER rub your eyes while the contacts are in... this might slightly scratch the outer layer of the cornea and might even lead to severe cornea infection).

PS. My contacts are PureVision and the cleaning solution is Clear Care.
    http://www.clearcaresolution.com/

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #12 - February 09, 2010, 03:08 PM

@ Berbs

I had clear vision even with the coloured ones, even after blinking, but I don't know the score with prescription ones and stuff, so no help from this end.

You got clear vision even with blinking because your color lenses are not responsible for your good vision in the first place... so being misfit or not has no effect on your already good vision.

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #13 - February 09, 2010, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've got a vision test this week. The prescription of the contacts they gave me was my prescription 6 months ago. They just thought that my vision won't have changed considerably in that time but maybe it has. If that doesn't solve it then I'll mention those things. I did read up on it actually and found out how important the fit is myself. Maybe the contacts are too loose on my eye. I'll mention these things if things aren't sorted by giving me new contacts with my new prescription (if it's changed).

Reply #14 - February 09, 2010, 03:16 PM

I was told that if you go to sleep wearing contact lenses then you should call the doctor in the morning and get the doctor to take the contacts out. Very important not to take them out yourself apparently, but my gf thinks it's no big deal.

That's a huge exaggeration.

If this happens just wait for an hour or two and make sure you use drops (artificial tears) to wet your eyes before taking them out (when you sleep, your corneas become dry with less oxygen supply and the lenses become almost stuck to your corneas, all of this more than quadruples your chances for a corneal infection... so when you wake, with your eyes dry and the contacts tightly holdin gto your cornea and take them out you might scratch your cornea and bacteria gets in --> infection).

Reply #15 - February 09, 2010, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've got a vision test this week. The prescription of the contacts they gave me was my prescription 6 months ago. They just thought that my vision won't have changed considerably in that time but maybe it has. If that doesn't solve it then I'll mention those things. I did read up on it actually and found out how important the fit is myself. Maybe the contacts are too loose on my eye. I'll mention these things if things aren't sorted by giving me new contacts with my new prescription (if it's changed).

btw, some opticians/optometrists deal with certain brands, so they don't care a lot whether you have a great fit as long as they're giving you the band they want to give you in the first place.

My optometrist tried 5 brands with me, each for two weaks before he decided that PureVision is the best fit (and comfort) for my eyes.

In any case, the blurriness, in all likelihood has nothing to do with the health of your eyes... so if you can tolerate it, then great!

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »