Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

New Britain
April 16, 2024, 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Get ready to wiki!

(Read 31382 times)
  • Previous page 1 23 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Get ready to wiki!
     Reply #30 - February 10, 2010, 07:07 PM

Baal you're from FFI? :S Mon dieu.

Berbs is from FFI. From being the operative word.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #31 - February 10, 2010, 07:35 PM

Brilliant job, Aziz  Afro

Great, I like that it's multilingual. I'll try and find time to translate stuff into Arabic. I'll start with Berbs' story, don't count on me though, the stories are so long and I have exams every now and then. I thought of doing Hassan's first, but considering he knows Arabic I guess he would be able to convey his ideas better.

I have thought about translating my story into Arabic before but frankly can't be bothered making the effort. I would be very grateful if you or anyone else (perhaps share chapters) would do it and I could make edits if I feel it is necessary when your done. (I know that sounds awfully lazy of me - and I confess I am guilty as charged!)
     Reply #32 - February 10, 2010, 07:45 PM

Baal you're from FFI? :S Mon dieu.

There's a few of us who used to be on FFI. (Until CEMB came along there was simply no other internet forum for ex-Muslims to gather.)

I have nothing personally against Baal and at times find some of the things he says spot on, but it cannot be denied that his views can be out of sync with most of us at CEMB.

So I agree wholeheartedly with Aziz that we should try to make sure this Wiki retains our more empathetic approach as ex-Muslims (which Baal isn't) and as such we should be careful who we allow to be an editor.

Sorry Baal - nothing personal mate.
     Reply #33 - February 10, 2010, 08:11 PM

Brilliant job, Aziz  Afro

Thanks. It takes quite a lot of effort to produce good translations. I'd be completely helpless without the online dictionaries and without search engines which allow you to search for phrases. Hurray for the Internet. Smiley

I should be finished with translating chapter 1 soon. bunny

I have thought about translating my story into Arabic before but frankly can't be bothered making the effort.

How about if you tried to hire some help from Arabic murtad forums?

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #34 - February 10, 2010, 08:15 PM

Thanks. It takes quite a lot of effort to produce good translations. I'd be completely helpless without the online dictionaries and without search engines which allow you to search for phrases. Hurray for the Internet. Smiley

I should be finished with translating chapter 1 soon. bunny

How about if you tried to hire some help from Arabic murtad forums?

That's not a bad idea.
     Reply #35 - February 10, 2010, 10:09 PM

OK well I posted a request on the Arab Atheist forum in case anyone wants the link (I know Infidel goes on there sometimes.)

http://www.el7ad.com/smf/index.php?topic=98108.0

Reply #36 - February 18, 2010, 04:06 PM

I finished translating chapter one of Hassan's book a few days ago: Kapitel 1 : Hast du den Koran gelesen?

Hey, Hassan, here are a few notes I took about the preface and chapter 1. Could you take a look at them and help me fix these mistakes and answer the questions?

Preface:
    Fixed spelling: "no-longer" -> "no longer"
    Fixed "when my family are Muslims" -> "when my family is Muslim"
    Chapter 1: (Didn't fix anything in this chapter yet.)
    “Please God, make everything alright” -> missing "."
    "It wasn’t God’s fault, but because I had been naughty in some way and didn’t deserve it." -> Grammar?
    "the British Government evacuated them" -> you don't evacuate people, you evacuate buildings, right?
    "old fashioned" -> old-fashioned
    "Trotskyite" = pejorative -> use Trotskyist instead?
    "Our main rival at the Polytechnic _were_" -> was
    "of, Pendle Hill" -> "of Pendle Hill"
    "I had close group of friends" -> I had _a_ ...
    "But part of me felt" -> "But _another_ part..." better?
    "‘Prayer is the key to Paradise." -> missing >’<
    "I _can_ barely recognise the Qur’an" -> shouldn't this be "could"? The whole passage might need some improvement.
    "A Charge Nurse," -> Why capital letters?
    "Her family were Methodists," -> not "Her family was Methodist"?
    “Ash-hadu an la ilaha _illah_, Ass-hadu anna Muhammad rasoolalllah!” -> correct? isn't it "illalah"?

You used the word family like a plural noun in two places. It confuses me, because I think that's not correct English grammar.

Edit1: I added this copyright notice in the German translation at the beginning and at the end of the page: "Copyright © 2008 - 2010 Hassan"
    Are the dates okay? I will also add these notices in the English version, of course.

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #37 - February 18, 2010, 04:24 PM

Cheers Aziz - and thanks!  Afro - will make changes when I get home Smiley

EDIT - dates are fine!
     Reply #38 - February 18, 2010, 04:30 PM

Copyright? Man I am completely anti-copyrighting.
     Reply #39 - February 18, 2010, 04:36 PM

Copyright means you've got a right to copy

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #40 - February 18, 2010, 05:02 PM

Copyright means you've got a right to copy

Cheesy
    I love how you put it.

"In every time and culture there are pressures to conform to the prevailing prejudices. But there are also, in every place and epoch, those who value the truth; who record the evidence faithfully. Future generations are in their debt." -Carl Sagan

Reply #41 - February 18, 2010, 05:37 PM

Cheers Aziz - and thanks!  Afro - will make changes when I get home Smiley

Great. Could you also please register at the English wiki? I'd like to have you as an editor there as well. Especially for corrections to be made to your book. Smiley

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #42 - March 02, 2010, 03:02 PM

Hey Hassan,

While you're here for a moment, I wanted to ask whether you have thought of a title for your book yet. If not, how do you like this one:

English: Islam Was My Life
    German: Der Islam war mein Leben
    Turkish: İslam Hayatımdı

@osmanthus: I think it would be a good idea to advertise the wiki on the front page of this forum. What do you think?

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #43 - March 02, 2010, 03:14 PM

Islame's article, it very well written.
     Reply #44 - March 18, 2010, 03:24 PM

News:

1. I renamed the wiki to "Islampedia" and changed the logo, because previously it was using the (presumably copyrighted) "Wikipedia globe". Now it shows the ex-Muslims logo in blue.

2. I installed jQuery 1.4.2 in the wiki, which will help me to implement some cool features.

3. I finished translating chapter 2 of Hassan's book a few days ago. I annotated the mistakes in the English text of chapter 2 with notes which are shown as little icons. Moving the mouse over an icon will reveal the note. The icons are also displayed in the left margin of the content area, which makes locating all of the annotation icons in the text very easy. Wink

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #45 - March 18, 2010, 04:31 PM

good stuff - Hassan story is an invaluable source in other languages, as the least educated are the ones who are more likely not to understand English, are the ones usually most in need of something like this and not their usual societal religious dribble

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #46 - March 18, 2010, 06:31 PM

Thanks Aziz I really appreciate your efforts you will get a great reward from Allah, Jesus, erm... I'll buy you a drink one day  Afro

Please forgive me for not helping in any way (I haven't even corrected the mistakes you kindly pointed out.) - I have a crisis on my hands in RL and I come here just to relax - I hope you understand, my friend Smiley
     Reply #47 - March 18, 2010, 08:08 PM

I want to thank Aziz. And everybody that has ever taken their time to contribute, no matter how small that contribution was. Thank you from the bottom of my heart Smiley
     Reply #48 - March 18, 2010, 09:07 PM

Wow, this is fantastic. I've been meaning to contribute to the wiki but I've been swamped lately and barely have time to even log in. I will register on the English wiki soon and hopefully find some time to start writing!

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #49 - March 18, 2010, 09:14 PM

Thanks Aziz I really appreciate your efforts you will get a great reward from Allah, Jesus, erm... I'll buy you a drink one day  Afro

Thanks, mate. Smiley

Please forgive me for not helping in any way (I haven't even corrected the mistakes you kindly pointed out.) - I have a crisis on my hands in RL and I come here just to relax - I hope you understand, my friend Smiley

No worries. I can understand and sympathize with your situation. The wiki won't go away, you can take your time. Wink

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #50 - March 19, 2010, 12:58 AM

It is a cool project. Great job you're doing there.  Afro

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #51 - March 19, 2010, 01:27 PM

It is a cool project. Great job you're doing there.  Afro

Yeah, cool project, no contributors. grin12

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #52 - March 21, 2010, 08:36 AM

I feel ashamed. I'm still not done translating the first chapter. I'm halfway through and real life got in the way. I hope I'll be done with it before my trip next week.

He's no friend to the friendless
    And he's the mother of grief
    There's only sorrow for tomorrow
    Surely life is too brief
     Reply #53 - March 21, 2010, 10:45 AM

Hey Naerys,

I'm very thankful for your contributions. There's no reason to feel ashamed, especially if you're having problems in life. Contribute as much time to your translation work as you like. It's not like we're getting paid for this job and have a deadline. Smiley Though, you never know, German or French publishers might be willing to publish our (reviewed) translations in the unforeseeable future. Hassan gets 20%, which is very generous. grin12

I'd recommend to you to post your progress, even if it is unfinished. You never know what can happen to your computer/laptop and your harddisk. Wink

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #54 - March 21, 2010, 03:18 PM

I doubt publishers would be interested in my poor translation  Cheesy

But hey, I just checked my file and it turned out I was much more advanced that I thought. I managed to finish the first chapter this afternoon and uploaded it. You might wanna fix a couple of things on it (linking to the English and German versions, for instance).

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/wiki/fr/Histoire_de_Hassan:Chapitre1

Surely life is too brief
     Reply #55 - March 21, 2010, 04:31 PM

Great! Will check it. Smiley

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #56 - March 21, 2010, 05:04 PM

Alright, I edited the text and corrected a few things, like removing trailing whitespace, adding newlines, adding chevrons and making sure there's one space after opening ones and before closing ones. I also copied two templates from the English wiki, so the French translation has book navigation links and a copyright notice as well now.

One question though, is it correct to put a space after/before chevrons? Or inserting a space before colons? I can easily replace all occurrences if it isn't. Smiley

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #57 - March 22, 2010, 08:04 AM

It shouldn't be. However, that's how MS Word makes it when I type. I couldn't be bothered with correcting, but if you can do it, that'd be great!

Surely life is too brief
     Reply #58 - March 22, 2010, 12:05 PM

Hm, but according to this table, spaces or "thin spaces" around certain punctuation marks are necessary:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponctuation#Les_espaces_autour_des_signes_de_ponctuation

Strange rules, lol.

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #59 - March 22, 2010, 12:12 PM

We need to get other peoples stories on this. How come no one else is contributing?
  • Previous page 1 23 4 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »