Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Al-Ghazali on Jihad

(Read 4670 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Al-Ghazali on Jihad
     OP - January 24, 2010, 07:38 PM

I recall that in my Musulman days I had a book which was a direct translation of one of Imam Ghazali's works. In it there was a chapter on Jihad on the sword where he describes in detail how a Muslim ruler must go into yearly raids against neighbouring kuffar as a religious duty and he goes into details about this matter.

This book is back home in Calgary, but I wanted to access that chapter, does anyone here who is well studied recall what book this is in and are there any internet sources where this book has been preserved? Google search fails to come up with it. Any help would be appreciate. Smiley

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

• Re: Al-Ghazali on Jihad
     Reply #1 - January 25, 2010, 10:24 AM

I did some quick research and it seems the book you're looking for is called Al-wajiz fi fiqh al-imam al-shafi'i - The condensed in Imam Shafi'i's Jurisprudence.

As the name indicates, it's a book that contains rulings and opinions of Shafi'i fiqh.

I tried looking for an English translation online, but all I could find were versions in Arabic (Volume 1 and Volume 2).

I also thought there might be something in one of his books called Nasihat al-muluk - Counsel for Kings (available in English here), but a quick scan didn't reveal any details on what you had mentioned. Feel free to look closer.

I am a pagan worshiper of love: the creed of Muslims I do not need

- Amir Khusro
  • Re: Al-Ghazali on Jihad
     Reply #2 - January 25, 2010, 04:27 PM

I recall that in my Musulman days I had a book which was a direct translation of one of Imam Ghazali's works. In it there was a chapter on Jihad on the sword where he describes in detail how a Muslim ruler must go into yearly raids against neighbouring kuffar as a religious duty and he goes into details about this matter

Is this it ?

Below is what al-Ghazali actually wrote about jihad war, and the treatment of the vanquished non-Muslim [dhimmi] peoples (from the Wagjiz, written in 1101 C.E.):

?one must go on jihad (i.e., warlike razzias or raids) at least once a year...one may use a catapult against them [non-Muslims] when they are in a fortress, even if among them are women and children.  One may set fire to them and/or drown them...If a person of the Ahl  al-Kitab [People of The Book ? Jews and Christians, typically] is enslaved, his marriage is [automatically] revoked. A woman and her child taken into slavery should not be separated...One may cut down their trees...One must destroy their useless books. Jihadists may take as booty whatever they decide...they may steal as much food as they need?. 7

http://97.74.65.51/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=12005

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »