Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Comments on Hassan V debunker

(Read 73104 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 4 5 67 8 ... 11 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Comments on Hassan V debunker
     Reply #150 - January 26, 2010, 02:28 PM

Debunker you will like the Hadza. They are hardwired for monotheism as well.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/12/hadza/finkel-text/10

The Hadza
    They grow no food, raise no livestock, and live without rules or calendars. They are living a hunter-gatherer existence that is little changed from 10,000 years ago. What do
    they know that we've forgotten?

The Hadza are not big on ritual. There is not much room in their lives, it seems, for mysticism, for spirits, for pondering the unknown. There is no specific belief in an afterlife?every Hadza I spoke with said he had no idea what might happen after he died. There are no Hadza priests or shamans or medicine men. Missionaries have produced few converts. I once asked Onwas to tell me about God, and he said that God was blindingly bright, extremely powerful, and essential for all life. God, he told me, was the sun.

Reply #151 - January 26, 2010, 04:30 PM

happiness is NOT serotonin/serotonin receptors... seretonin/receptors is only a requirement for happiness.

pleasure is NOT dopamine/dompamine receptors... dopamine/receptors is only a requirement for pleasure.

The "I" is not the brain... the brain is only the seat of the "I".

I hope now you will stop confusing what I'm saying.

Any evidence to support that?

If you're so devout, how come I am not dead?
     Reply #152 - January 28, 2010, 02:13 AM

@ tara

Any evidence to support that?

Only the fact that the "I" is immaterial (non-physical) while our brains and its chemistry are physical. Conclusion? A non-physical element is missing from the picture.

How can anyone claim that a heap of stardust, can become aware of itself, for example?

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #153 - January 28, 2010, 03:20 AM

I think you are missing a step here in your argument debunker. I have studied philosophy of mind extensively and I have to agree with you that the current paradigm of physical inert brains giving rise to subjective consciousness is incorrect.

However, what makes you think that this missing element is non-physical? Surely, using occam's razor, the simpler explanation is not there is a non-material, non-natural aspect of reality that is unexplained in physicalism, but rather that our very conception of the physical is mistaken. It's obvious that the physical does somehow create consciousness so perhaps the assumption to tackle is the assumption of matter being inert and only efficiently causative, ie that it can only be affected from without and has no place for a subjective viewpoint from within. In short, I am suggesting a form of panpsychism.

I think introducing an immaterial aspect of reality into the picture will not lead to an explanation but rather will leave us with the greater problem of how an immaterial "soul" can interact with the physical seeing as they are so radically opposite and so cannot have any causal relationship. The famous dualist Descartes also had this problem and all he could say in reply was that God made this interaction possible and its too mysterious for humanity to know about. I'm sorry but I hope you can see how that hardly works as an explanation, all it does is make the classical god of the gaps move where god is used to plug a hole in understanding and no actual definitive explanation is given. It is basically blocking the way of rational understanding of reality to suppose such an interaction. There are other reasons against a causal interaction of two distinct ontological categories but I hope what i've said is enough. If you like i can elaborate further.

So, i agree with you that the current physicalist paradigm cannot explain how consciousness exists. However, I disagree with your solution, its a classic substance dualism which has been debunked thoroughly in the philosophical literature over the last 400 years since descartes first presented it in its modern form.

If you like, we can have a discussion on the origin and ontology of consciousness in a new thread, I would not like to take this thread off topic.               

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #154 - January 28, 2010, 04:41 AM

@ Z10

I think you are missing a step here in your argument debunker. I have studied philosophy of mind extensively and I have to agree with you that the current paradigm of physical inert brains giving rise to subjective consciousness is incorrect.

You are the second atheist who agrees to this rather obvious fact. And yes please, do elaborate here, it's OK.. it's a comments thread anyway.

I'll return to your post tomorrow, but for now, I would just like to say that the reason *some* atheists reject religion is a similar *gaps* problem. Since religion doesn't give answers to many things beyond our reach (and perhaps even beyond our understanding), some use the *no-God of the gaps* argument (if one might even call it that).

A googolplex is *precisely* as far from infinity as is the number 1.--Carl Sagan
     Reply #155 - January 28, 2010, 05:24 AM

Sophisticated computer programs/robots can have a very primitive form of self awareness. Its not impossible that human awareness, or the sense of self is a terrifically more complex version of the same phenomenon.
     Reply #156 - January 28, 2010, 05:53 AM

@ bodna

Sophisticated computer programs/robots can have a very primitive form of self awareness. Its not impossible that human awareness, or the sense of self is a terrifically more complex version of the same phenomenon.

This is news to me.. are you referring to artificial intelligence? I don't think so.

Reply #157 - January 28, 2010, 06:08 AM

@ Z10

Ok, so I read a little about panpsychism (which also led me to read about the *hard problem of conscienceness*... I didn't know this was an actual problem recognized by philosophers).

Anyway, if I understand you correctly, you think that some form of panpsychism is better suited at solving the *hard problem of conscienceness* as opposed the messy *assumption* of soul and the impossible to answer question as to how would a non-material thing like soul interact with matter... using Occasm's razaor, the argument for panpsychism easily wins over the dualism of soul and matter.

But the way I see it, just like the existence of soul and its required interaction with matter is no more than an assumption to solve the hard problem of conscienceness, so is the mindedness (if you will) of matter is merely an assumption. If I understood panpsychism correctly, it seems it assumes that matter has a mind of its own, which is a big assumption no smaller than the assumption that soul exists and can interact with matter. The argument for using the Occasm's razor here seems quite artificial in this case (I really don't see how panpsychism is a simpler solution than the concept of soul).

Reply #158 - January 28, 2010, 07:32 AM

@ Z10

You are the second atheist who agrees to this rather obvious fact. And yes please, do elaborate here, it's OK.. it's a comments thread anyway.

I'll return to your post tomorrow, but for now, I would just like to say that the reason *some* atheists reject religion is a similar *gaps* problem. Since religion doesn't give answers to many things beyond our reach (and perhaps even beyond our understanding), some use the *no-God of the gaps* argument (if one might even call it that).

I think you'll find that while the majority of academic philosophers accept the physicalist position on consciousness, a growing number are unsatisfied with it, more than just two atheists, hah

Also, on the issue of God, it need not even enter our discussion on consciousness. Only if you have a radical dualism of mind and matter and then don't know how to explain the causal interaction between the two would you need to grasp for this ad-hoc argument of god plugging the gap.

Reply #159 - January 28, 2010, 07:40 AM

@ Z10

Only if you have a radical dualism of mind and matter and then don't know how to explain the causal interaction between the two would you need to grasp for this ad-hoc argument of god plugging the gap.

But how is the *assumption* that matter has a mind of its own (if I understood that correctly) is any less ad-hoc?

Anyway, gotta go to bed, looking forward to reading your response.

regards.

Reply #160 - January 28, 2010, 07:45 AM

@ Z10

Ok, so I read a little about panpsychism (which also led me to read about the *hard problem of conscienceness*... I didn't know this was an actual problem recognized by philosophers).

Anyway, if I understand you correctly, you think that some form of panpsychism is better suited at solving the *hard problem of conscienceness* as opposed the messy *assumption* of soul and the impossible to answer question as to how would a non-material thing like soul interact with matter... using Occasm's razaor, the argument for panpsychism easily wins over the dualism of soul and matter.

But the way I see it, just like the existence of soul and its required interaction with matter is no more than an assumption to solve the hard problem of conscienceness, so is the mindedness (if you will) of matter is merely an assumption. If I understood panpsychism correctly, it seems it assumes that matter has a mind of its own, which is a big assumption no smaller than the assumption that soul exists and can interact with matter. The argument for using the Occasm's razor here seems quite artificial in this case (I really don't see how panpsychism is a simpler solution than the concept of soul).

Well, this depends on your ontology. If you agree with the thesis of naturalism, such that all that exists is natural and obeys natural laws of causation, and you also agree with the thesis of monism such that there is only kind of stuff in the cosmos then panpsychism is not really an assumption, it is the patent truth. I am made of matter and I am a thinking being. Both those statements are absolutely truthful and therefore there is no assumption made here.

Another way of approaching the position of panpsychism is through a non-NE argument made famous by Galen Strawson. The argument is simple and has the following premises:-

1. Everything that exists is natural.
    2. Experience exists.
    Therefore,
    3. Experience is a natural phenomenon of the universe.

4. Physicalism is commited to a thesis called Emergence. This is the thesis that experience was created by non-experiential matter.
    5. However,  brute emergence of this kind is impossible. You cannot get subjective phenomena by combining objective phenomena.

Therefore, combining 3 and 5 you get:

6. All matter is experiential in some sense or other (which is panpsychism).

Ofcourse, as can be seen, this is a valid argument but the strength and soundness of it relies on premise 5. Only if you agree that it is impossible to arrange space/time/matter/energy in such a way that you get experiential consciousness will you agree with the conclusion.

To further elaborate on premise 5, many physicalists make the argument that emergence is possible and provide examples like the wetness of water. It is argued that since the molecular properties of oxygen and hydrogen do not contain any "wet" properties that the wetness of water is an emergent property of matter. By analogy, they argue that just as wetness can emerge from non-wet matter, experience can emerge from non-experiential matter.
    However,  there is a problem with this line of reasoning. Both wetness and non-wetness are governed by the same class of phenomena (ie mass, charge, spin of particles) and so no new ontological category is emerging with "wetness"; to explain the wetness of water you only need to refer to molecular chemistry and some fundamental physics and both these disciplines already enjoy a monopoly of explanations of matter at such a level. However, with experience you can't do the same thing. The problem is that experience cannot in any way be described using the same set of relationships and phenomena, we cannot say that certain mass, charge, spin etc will lead to experience, that's committing a category mistake. So, for experience we need a whole new set of phenomena that acknowledges the representational, the causally active and the subjective qualities of consciousness. These qualities cannot be found in descriptions of fundamental physics and so the analogy of wetness to experience does not work. Emergence cannot be granted be consciousness, matter itself must have some experiential qualities because it is not enough to say that despite our conception of matter has no experiential properties that somehow it still somewhere down the line gives rise to experience. I hope you can see here why I say that it is the very conception of what it means to be physical, to be matter, that needs revision.

So the fact that matter has experiential qualities is not really an assumption if you follow the premises, it is more of a natural conclusion. Besides, this is not to say that tables and chairs experience existential angst or pangs of jealousy but rather that the matter that consitutes the tables and chairs has some form of rudimentary experiential properties that cannot be known, in principle, by us. It would be an assumption to state otherwise.

Please let me know if you would like me to clarify any of the points, I hope I have explained the position clearly. Of course, all of this does not mean that I myself am a panpsychist, i am merely stating that as a resolution to the mind-body problem, it is far better option that the tried and tested dualism. I am open to the idea of panpsychism, I find it to be a fascinating world-view and I feel that the problem of consciousness is so difficult that it probably will need this radical a solution - but for now I think I still have a lot of philosophising left to do on this matter.  Smiley

ps. apologies for the long post, i have a tendency to ramble a bit.

Reply #161 - January 28, 2010, 04:13 PM

@ tara

Only the fact that the "I" is immaterial (non-physical) while our brains and its chemistry are physical. Conclusion? A non-physical element is missing from the picture.

There is no reason to suspect any non-physical cause. All the aspects that we consider to be part of consciousness like intelligence, memory, awareness of past and present, reasoning, emotions have been demonstrated to result from the physical brain. Thats why when the brain is dead, you are not aware and have no consiousness. If you change the physical matter of the brain, you can change the person.  If consciousness
    was not caused by physical things, then why do physical changes to the brain affect our consciousness?

If you're so devout, how come I am not dead?
     Reply #162 - January 28, 2010, 05:12 PM

Nah, not necessarily AI, rather AI is believed possible because the natural capability of computers (in the general sense, encompassing software, robots etc) of self-referentiability and "introspection", among other things.

And of course, we don't really know. Just a guess on my part.
     Reply #163 - January 28, 2010, 10:24 PM

There is no reason to suspect any non-physical cause. All the aspects that we consider to be part of consciousness like intelligence, memory, awareness of past and present, reasoning, emotions have been demonstrated to result from the physical brain. Thats why when the brain is dead, you are not aware and have no consiousness. If you change the physical matter of the brain, you can change the person.  If consciousness
    was not caused by physical things, then why do physical changes to the brain affect our consciousness?

The problem with that line of reasoning is that you have left out the most important part of consciousness from your list. Thomas Nagel summed this up well when he said that no matter how well we understand the cognitive abilities of a bat for instance, we can still never know 'what it's like to be a bat' ie we can never experience what a bat experiences and this is the crucial part. Everyone's subjective experience is unique to them, there is absolutely no objective way I can be certain that what I mean by the colour red you also mean red, there will always be philosophers skeptical about such things.
    Though I agree with you that there is no reason to posit anything non-physical or non-natural into our theories of consciousness, this is not the same thing as saying that physicalism has everything correct.

Reply #164 - January 28, 2010, 10:55 PM

Also, on the issue of God, it need not even enter our discussion on consciousness. Only if you have a radical dualism of mind and matter and then don't know how to explain the causal interaction between the two would you need to grasp for this ad-hoc argument of god plugging the gap.

.. or the light year leap of Islam being the truth

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #165 - January 29, 2010, 02:34 AM

@ Z10

The gist of your argument is that humans have been wrong on how they view matter and that in fact:

All matter is experiential in some sense or other (which is panpsychism).

But there's no way to prove this, and it is as arbitrary an assumption as assuming that soul exists and it interacts with matter.  

So far it seems that we both agree that *the hard problem of concienceness* does exist and it needs a solution...

@ tara

you're moving in circles... no one denied that the brain/body, as far as this known world is concerned, is NECESSARY for conscienceness... the point is, is it SUFFICIENT? Please, please try to understand what we're discussing here.

Reply #166 - January 29, 2010, 06:56 AM

I think you missed the gist of my argument debunker. I am not stating that matter is experiential as some sort of assumption that requires one to have faith in it. I am deducing it from well set out premises.

I'll go over it again for you.

1). I have experience.
    2). I am made of/ constituted by matter.
    3). Therefore, either matter itself is experiential or it has the capacity to create experience when in a certain arrangement.

To see why the latter is incorrect, i refer you to my discussion of premise 5 in the Strawson argument above.
    In the end, the conclusion that matter is experiential is a deductively reasoned thesis. I am not stating it as an assumption nor am I asking for you to believe in it blindly, I am showing you the reasoned steps that lead to it.

I think the real assumption here is thinking that matter must be dead and inert prima facie. That's something that you are assuming must be correct and therefore, the panpsychism thesis is wrong. However, if you see my argument you will see that panpsychism is reasonably deduced whereas the idea of inert matter is an unstated assumption.

Reply #167 - January 29, 2010, 06:59 AM

.. or the light year leap of Islam being the truth

ha, well I guess that goes without saying. I haven't seen any reasoned argument that can deduce Islamic belief in its totality, usually you require some kind of faith for that.

Reply #168 - January 29, 2010, 07:14 AM

@ z10

I think the real assumption here is thinking that matter must be dead and inert prima facie. That's something that you are assuming must be correct and therefore, the panpsychism thesis is wrong. However, if you see my argument you will see that panpsychism is reasonably deduced whereas the idea of inert matter is an unstated assumption.

That's what I thought exactly... you think that people are wrong in assuming that matter is dead. Well, according to all observations (except when it comes to living beings), matter is indeed dead.

But what you're saying, so elegantly, I must say, is that since living beings are also matter then this means that matter cannot be dead and it must be sentient in some way...

You're avoiding an obvious contradiction (us being conscience matter) by adding an non-existent attribute to matter, sentience.

Anyway, it is refreshing to find someone who can easily recognize the problem... (it's very odd that very few people even think about it, and that the vast majority can't even understand there is a problem, like our friend tara).

Reply #169 - January 29, 2010, 07:55 AM

That's what I thought exactly... you think that people are wrong in assuming that matter is dead. Well, according to all observations (except when it comes to living beings), matter is indeed dead.

Well, what exactly are you observing when you look at matter? In fact, how can you prove with any certainty that anybody apart from yourself has any consciousness whatsoever? All you can do is extrapolate from your own internal nature to other people and assume that they have an internal nature as well that includes experience and mental causation etc.
    So I think it is incorrect to say that our observation of matter shows that it is inert, rather every observation is only of external phenomenal relationship. We cannot in principle, know the internal nature of anything. We can either say that it is either experiential or not, and I have given you a deductive argument to show that it is experiential. I do not think there is a deductive argument for the matter being dead, but all we have is the naive assumption that our observation of it is enough to know everything about it.

But what you're saying, so elegantly, I must say, is that since living beings are also matter then this means that matter cannot be dead and it must be sentient in some way...

You're avoiding an obvious contradiction (us being conscience matter) by adding an non-existent attribute to matter, sentience.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you mean here, what contradiction?

Anyway, it is refreshing to find someone who can easily recognize the problem... (it's very odd that very few people even think about it, and that the vast majority can't even understand there is a problem, like our friend tara).

Yes I agree, consciousness is a fascinating aspect of reality and I don't think it has been understood that well at all in the history of humanity.

Reply #170 - January 29, 2010, 08:07 AM

@ Z10

Well, what exactly are you observing when you look at matter? In fact, how can you prove with any certainty that anybody apart from yourself has any consciousness whatsoever? All you can do is extrapolate from your own internal nature to other people and assume that they have an internal nature as well that includes experience and mental causation etc.
    So I think it is incorrect to say that our observation of matter shows that it is inert, rather every observation is only of external phenomenal relationship. We cannot in principle, know the internal nature of anything. We can either say that it is either experiential or not, and I have given you a deductive argument to show that it is experiential. I do not think there is a deductive argument for the matter being dead, but all we have is the naive assumption that our observation of it is enough to know everything about it.

That's a very philosophical way of looking at it. Ask any scientist, they'd tell you matter is dead.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you mean here, what contradiction?

Obviously not a contradiction for you... you already think matter is alive (or sentient), somehow. I'm talking about scientists who believe that matter is dead and yet cannot see a contradiction in believing that everything (including conscienceness) is part of nature! How can they say that when they believe matter is dead?!!

So, like scientists, I believe that matter is dead, but unlike scientists, I believe that conscienceness is an irrefutable proof to what is beyond nature (nature being: matter/energy/space/time).

In you case you believe sentience is an attribute of matter, problem solved.

Reply #171 - January 29, 2010, 08:18 AM

well, I think a scientist cannot even make such claims. The object of science is to establish causal relationshps in nature and to hypothesise that these relationships can be called "natural laws", science cannot answer the question of what is reality and what is consciousness because the inner nature of reality cannot be observed and so cannot be tested by them. They have no right to say whether matter is dead or matter is experiential because they are not even asking the right questions.

This does not mean that I am anti-science, but that rather I think science should be better understood as what it is, the accumulation of data and the setting up of a theoretical hypothesis based on such data. People assume that science is somehow going to answer the big questions of reality but science doesn't and cannot even ask the big questions let alone answer them.

Those topics remain the issue of philosophy.

Reply #172 - January 29, 2010, 09:15 AM

well, I think a scientist cannot even make such claims. The object of science is to establish causal relationshps in nature and to hypothesise that these relationships can be called "natural laws", science cannot answer the question of what is reality and what is consciousness because the inner nature of reality cannot be observed and so cannot be tested by them. They have no right to say whether matter is dead or matter is experiential because they are not even asking the right questions.

Sorry, I don't mean to hi-jack this thread because it's going well and I want to remain completely neutral. IMHO, science is doing the best it can and it's nature is that it is tentative and subject to change, providing the right testing and data are brought forward. I agree that the inner nature of reality can't be comprehended as such and for that science has remained humble.

This does not mean that I am anti-science, but that rather I think science should be better understood as what it is, the accumulation of data and the setting up of a theoretical hypothesis based on such data. People assume that science is somehow going to answer the big questions of reality but science doesn't and cannot even ask the big questions let alone answer them.

Agreed, but it is the closest and best understanding we can get without invoking anything supernatural etc.

Those topics remain the issue of philosophy.

Yes, philosophy is a brilliant tool. Can it answer the big questions though or are those questions even relevant? For the record, I'm and atheist. But am interested in both sides of the coin. Now, when it comes to these big questions, religion (whether we agree with it or not) steps in to attempt to answer those "why" questions. Such as why we exist and any other eschatological questions. The questions remains though, are those legitimate questions to ask within the domain of science and philosophy, or is this the domain of religion and does their claim have any type of grounding, or is it simply a matter of faith?
     Reply #173 - January 29, 2010, 09:26 AM

Dont worry, most of us have thought about it, and come to our conclusions on it.  Tara & I believe consciousness is the composite of all out senses - eyes, ears, touch, mouth, advanced brain, memory etc - the sum of all our past & current experiences .   I also dont doubt that one day we could even make consciousness from that same manmade parts.

So where is the contradiction you so confidently point out?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #174 - January 29, 2010, 09:31 AM

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=QualiaSoup#p/u/1/WsPn5dXfTvA
     Reply #175 - January 29, 2010, 09:34 AM

Islame, please chck out this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_problem_of_consciousness

Anyway, do you believe that matter is sentient? yes/no? If you answer yes, then there's no contradiction and you are of the same opinion as Z10... but if you answer no, then you are living a contradiction.

Reply #176 - January 29, 2010, 09:35 AM

That was posted by another member here in this very same thread. It doesn't address *the hard problem of conscienceness*.

Reply #177 - January 29, 2010, 09:46 AM

Islame, please chck out this link:

Anyway, do you believe that matter is sentient? yes/no? If you answer yes, then there's no contradiction and you are of the same opinion as Z10... but if you answer no, then you are living a contradiction.

My answer is no, and I still cant see the contradiction  Huh?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #178 - January 29, 2010, 09:50 AM

That was posted by another member here in this very same thread. It doesn't address *the hard problem of conscienceness*.

My bad.
     Reply #179 - January 29, 2010, 10:03 AM

My answer is no, and I still cant see the contradiction  Huh?

Oh well then you missed the conversation between me and Z10.

• Previous page 1 ... 4 5 67 8 ... 11 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »