Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Deism?

(Read 5053 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Deism?
     OP - January 04, 2010, 01:52 AM

Deism is belief in a God or first cause based on reason, rather than on faith or revelation. Most deists believe that God does not interfere with the world or create miracles. Some deists believe that a Divine Creator initiated a universe in which evolution occurred, by designing the system and the natural laws, although many deists believe that God also created life itself, before allowing it to be subject to evolution. They find it to be undignified and unwieldy for a deity to make constant adjustments rather than letting evolution elegantly adapt organisms to changing environments.

What is everyone's thoughts about this?
  • Re: Deism?
     Reply #1 - January 04, 2010, 01:52 AM

No

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #2 - January 04, 2010, 01:53 AM

Cheesy explain?
     Reply #3 - January 04, 2010, 02:09 AM

It's like boys with imaginary friends.

-"Jimmy, how come I have never seen your friend Bob?"
    - "That's because he likes to hide when adults appear. He doesn't like adults."
    - "Can you not arrange me talking with him?"
    - "No. Bob won't talk with adults. He told me, he doesn't like talking to adults."
     Reply #4 - January 04, 2010, 02:10 AM

Deism, is not a real belief. It's meaningless. For me deism is just another progressive step towards atheism. The deist concept of god might as well not exist.

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #5 - January 04, 2010, 02:15 AM

What about Kawaii? He calls himself a deist and believes that he must worship god and thinks there will be reward and punishment in the afterlife.
     Reply #6 - January 04, 2010, 02:16 AM

doubt it,

It's like boys with imaginary friends.

-"Jimmy, how come I have never seen your friend Bob?"
    - "That's because he likes to hide when adults appear. He doesn't like adults."
    - "Can you not arrange me talking with him?"
    - "No. Bob won't talk with adults. He told me, he doesn't like talking to adults."

but on a separate note this reminded me of Kissing Hanks Ass take a look at this if you have not already seen it

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #7 - January 04, 2010, 02:18 AM

What about Kawaii? He calls himself a deist and believes that he must worship god and thinks there will be reward and punishment in the afterlife.

Does he, I didnt know that?  In any case thats not a deist, thats a theist in my book

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #8 - January 04, 2010, 02:19 AM

@Kaff, Then how do you describe first cause?
     Reply #9 - January 04, 2010, 02:20 AM

In any case thats not a deist, thats a theist in my book

Yea, +1 to that
     Reply #10 - January 04, 2010, 02:23 AM

Well, tell that to Kawaii.

Here is what his youtube account says:

I subscribe to "Five Articles" of English Deists:

1) Belief in the existence of a single supreme God.
    2) Humanity's duty to revere God.
    3) Linkage of worship with practical morality.
    4) God will forgive us if we repent and abandon our sins.
    5) Good works will be rewarded (and punishment for evil) both in life and after death.

Reply #11 - January 04, 2010, 02:23 AM

@Kaff, Then how do you describe first cause?

If there was one, I would describe it as "the first cause". Why not call shit what they are, eh?

Reply #12 - January 04, 2010, 02:24 AM

Wtf? Kaiwai is a deist?

Anyways, that sounds awful like Christianity. Not deism.

Reply #13 - January 04, 2010, 02:32 AM

Well, tell that to Kawaii.

Here is what his youtube account says:

I subscribe to "Five Articles" of English Deists:

5) Good works will be rewarded (and punishment for evil) both in life and after death.

Kaiwai, after all your merciless pounding of people with unsubstantiated beliefs, are you feckin serious?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #14 - January 04, 2010, 02:38 AM

Lmao Thread jacked This is sparta
     Reply #15 - January 04, 2010, 02:39 AM

If there was one, I would describe it as "the first cause". Why not call shit what they are, eh?

What do you think is that first cause?
     Reply #16 - January 04, 2010, 02:41 AM

I'm not a cosmologist or a physicist. So far our only idea is there was a big bang, not necessarily the first. So real answer I guess is, WE DON'T KNOW. And you most definitely do not know either.

Deism is just a silly and castrated descendent of Abrahamism. Just a sky god, only meaningless.

Reply #17 - January 04, 2010, 03:15 AM

Does he, I didnt know that?  In any case thats not a deist, thats a theist in my book.

I used to have the "Five Articles" of English Deists on my profile but I've since pulled them down - since they don't fit with what I believe and replaced it with someone I follow in real life Smiley

Btw, the Abrahamic God is a personal God, deists don't believe in a person God who sits around waiting for his or her ego to get stroked.

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali
     Reply #18 - January 04, 2010, 03:23 AM

- since they don't fit with what I believe and replaced it with someone I follow in real life Smiley

who's that?

I used to have the "Five Articles" of English Deists on my profile but I've since pulled them down

but  its still there,

along with deism as your belief  Huh?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #19 - January 04, 2010, 03:24 AM

Sounds rather personal. And saying "alhamdullilah" falls under revering and worshipping god.

Even if you are no longer a deist (theist?) it's still rather ironic you take a shit on muslims and yet believed in some seriously stupid shit yourself.  Kiss

Reply #20 - January 04, 2010, 03:29 AM

who's that?
    but  its still there,

along with deism as your belief  Huh?

According to this screenshot of my channel it isn't there:

I changed it around 5 minutes before making this post:

http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=8150.msg201607#msg201607

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali
     Reply #21 - January 04, 2010, 03:31 AM

lol you just changed it like right now. I guess it was another 1-month religious experiment too, eh?  Cheesy

Reply #22 - January 04, 2010, 03:35 AM

I always thought deism is pointless. I really see don't see too many differences between Deism and an Abrahamic religion. I guess the only difference is that they haven't actually named their "god".

Call me TAP TAP! for I am THE ASS PATTER!
     Reply #23 - January 04, 2010, 03:35 AM

lol you just changed it like right now. I guess it was another 1-month religious experiment too, eh?  Cheesy

Actually no, I had it there because I copied and pasted my old details over from my old account details that I saved. I had only just realised it and thus changed it. Sorry, I don't visit my profile regularly because I don't feel the need to constantly admire myself - hence it slipped under the radar.

Reply #24 - January 04, 2010, 03:36 AM

Deism, is not a real belief. It's meaningless. For me deism is just another progressive step towards atheism. The deist concept of god might as well not exist.

It seems like an ambiguous concept to me that allows for infinite possibilities, but I dont have a problem with that.  If this God has never provided any proof, then a description of what it is and what it wants has to remain ambiguous at best.

The biggest problem for me with deism is that it does not allow for the possibility of atheism.  Atheism is certainly not a possibility that can be ruled out.  Since the dawn of man we have to admit that its one scientific conclusion that we appear to be progressively drawing closer & closer too, unlike the worlds other religions which we seem to be moving further & further away from .

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #25 - January 04, 2010, 03:43 AM

I've since pulled them down - since they don't fit with what I believe and replaced it with someone I follow in real life Smiley

Who do you follow now?  Also what do you believe, and why?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #26 - January 04, 2010, 03:45 AM

Who do you follow now?  Also what do you believe, and why?

I'd say I am pretty close to being an atheist right now, I'm sure deep down in my subconscious I don't believe in a god of any description; still umming and arring the details I guess; mulling it over Smiley

I'd say by the time I finish my religious studies degree, I'll be a fully fledged atheist lol.

Reply #27 - January 04, 2010, 03:49 AM

LOL then if you're so sure of it now, might as well admit you are an Atheist...right now.

Call me TAP TAP! for I am THE ASS PATTER!
     Reply #28 - January 04, 2010, 03:51 AM

I'd say I am pretty close to being an atheist right now, I'm sure deep down in my subconscious I don't believe in a god of any description; still umming and arring the details I guess; mulling it over Smiley

I'd say by the time I finish my religious studies degree, I'll be a fully fledged atheist lol.

So if you are an atheist or almost an atheist, you gonna get rid of "Deism=God+Reason"? Gonna put something different?

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #29 - January 04, 2010, 03:57 AM

It seems like an ambiguous concept to me that allows for infinite possibilities, but I dont have a problem with that.  If this God has never provided any proof, then a description of what it is and what it wants has to remain ambiguous at best.

The biggest problem for me with deism is that it does not allow for the possibility of atheism.  Atheism is certainly not a possibility that can be ruled out.  Since the dawn of man we have to admit that its one scientific conclusion that we appear to be progressively drawing closer & closer too, unlike the worlds other religions which we seem to be moving further & further away from .

I don't have a problem with deism on any personal level. I just feel it's a rather limp idea. I like to have some concrete beliefs that affect real life, either mine or the world in general. Beliefs that at no point make any meaningful contact with the real world seem rather pointless to me. You might as well admire the flying teapot...

And frankly deist was the atheist of the 18th century. It was the comfortable thing for a disbelieving gentleman to call himself at time when atheism was still a pretty punishable offense. It's a really outdated belief system.

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »