Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: BBC DOCUMENTARY LOOKING FOR NON-MUSLIM MOHAMMADS

(Read 33971 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: BBC DOCUMENTARY LOOKING FOR NON-MUSLIM MOHAMMADS
     Reply #150 - March 02, 2010, 01:44 PM

You thought it was a good documentary? It was basically a collection of people who happened to be called Muhammad talking about the ups and downs of life in Britain as a Muslim. It had more to do with being a Muslim than being called Muhammad. Just about everything they said about Muslims in Britain I have already watched about in other documentaries that go much further into detail than this episode did. How could you think it was a good documentary?

I'll show you a documentary that is so much better. Watch it, it's amazing. I definitely recommend it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJNAvyLCTik

The unlived life is not worth examining.
     Reply #151 - March 02, 2010, 01:47 PM

looks good - those awkward lift reactions are so typically British - ive saved the link to watch later, thanks

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #152 - March 02, 2010, 02:21 PM

It's brilliant. I think he plays alot on stereotypes. He will encourage you to form stereotypes in one scene from a previous scene or the next scene. Like there is a point where a young hijabi is in the lift with a drunkard and then the next scene is just some old women saying "Disgusting, isn't it? Must be animals. Absolutely." And since you're mind is probably pre-occupied with the very awkward previous scene, you start linking words depending on how prejudiced you are like "drunkard - animals" maybe even "muslims - animals"Huh?

The producers input is minimal and setting is as dull as you can get, but I would say it is far more thought provoking than the BBC documentary about the name Muhammad. This documentary even manages to be more controversial, I would say.

Anyway, I know I'm hijacking the thread, but I'm not sorry. Something needed to make up for such a poor showing from the BBC.

Reply #153 - March 02, 2010, 03:12 PM

Yeah, I like documentaries that allow the viewer room to think - I find with too many international documentaries, particularly ones from States, all the information is spoon-fed and interpreted on your behalf, making the whole experience far less rich & enjoyable..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #154 - March 02, 2010, 03:23 PM

Did anybody watch it? 30 minutes wasted of my life.

I missed it, I will check it on Iplayer now. Was it BBC Dawhah?
     Reply #155 - March 02, 2010, 04:46 PM

Completely pointless program. All your typical Muslims. A feminist Muslim lol god is the biggest misogynist out there.
     Reply #156 - March 02, 2010, 06:47 PM

My favourite was the converted prison chaplain's totally spiritual journey to Islam...

"This guy offered me a ride on the back of his camel. I just felt I could trust him. Then he asked me to visit the mosque before I leave tomorrow! I dunno why I just said yes! When I was there he asked me to convert to Islam and... I dunno why I just said... YES!"

Took me a while to realize that he had finished telling us his ever so spiritual journey to Islam...... wacko

Reply #157 - March 02, 2010, 07:02 PM

Hmm, an error occurred while trying to watch that youtube clip, but thanks, interesting.
     Reply #158 - March 02, 2010, 07:59 PM

I tried googling and youtubing a copy but can't find one :(

Reply #159 - March 03, 2010, 02:19 PM

Hi Ayesha,

My middle name is Mohammed, I'm happy to answer questions/do an interview ... but not to put more shame on my family being an atheist I'm sure there are many in my position who won't show their faces. Islam has an excellent memeplex to keep that shame/honor mechanism in place, I think.

I suppose a good story for you would be being interviewed at US airports. Happened to me, dad and my brother (when he was 5 years old). All because of "Mohammed".

Good luck, look forward to the documentary!

If white bald men with twirly moustaches posed the greatest security threat to aeroplane passengers I would be more than happy to be stopped every time I boarded a plan and searched.  Would you like to know why? Because then I would know that as I sat on that plane with my wife and children I am at less of a risk of them being killed because the airport were too politically correct to search an ethnic group that posed the most risk.

Ideally I'd like EVERYONE to be searched, but if that is not possible then search only those who fit the profile of the highest threat groups. I don't care what that group is and it is likely to change over time too, I just care that my family are safer.

With that in mind, do you feel your personal inconvenience is more important to you than the safety of all the people on that plane including your own?

I don't come here any more due to unfair moderation.
    http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=30785
     Reply #160 - March 06, 2010, 12:46 PM

With that in mind, do you feel your personal inconvenience is more important to you than the safety of all the people on that plane including your own?

I don't have a problem with being interviewed myself and missing three flights and turning up 12 hours late.

I'm merely suggesting that it would be a good documentary, just like BBC's "Airport" to display to the public all the incoveniences that people named Muhammed have to put up with. I understand it's necessary and that it is the best thing to do as of now, I'm just saying it would be a good documentary to see:
    - a 5 year old being vetted because he has a Mohammed middle name
    - an ex-Muslim who looks, dresses, appears Western but has the unfortunate name of Muhammed
    - a Muslim woman severaly restricted on food for her baby child due to the name "Mohammed"

Plus, a visit to the US after the initial long ordeal was a lot quicker at the immigration section, perhaps I'm in the white list, although I did plan an 8 hour layover in the expectation I'd have to go through it again, which never happened.
  • Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6« Previous thread | Next thread »