Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: BBC DOCUMENTARY LOOKING FOR NON-MUSLIM MOHAMMADS

(Read 34023 times)
  • 12 3 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • BBC DOCUMENTARY LOOKING FOR NON-MUSLIM MOHAMMADS
     OP - December 17, 2009, 04:02 PM

Hello all,

Apologies for having not logged onto this forum since December.  As some of you have commented, I stopped working on the programme at the start of January.  As far as I know, we're still waiting on a transmission date, but My Name is Muhammad is scheduled to go out at some point during the w/c 27th Feb - check the BBC 1 listings for more details.

Thanks to all those who took the time to write to us.  It was really important to us to include diverse voices in this film and it was really useful hearing your views. Hope you enjoy the documentary.

Thanks again
    Ayesha
  • Re: BBC DOCUMENTARY LOOKING FOR NON-MUSLIM MOHAMMADS
     Reply #1 - December 17, 2009, 04:12 PM

Muhammad is now the second most popular boy's name in Britain? Wot? That is scary!

Anyways, welcome to the forum. I wish I can help you, but my name is luckily not Mo. Sorry, and good luck! Afro

Reply #2 - December 17, 2009, 04:29 PM

Good luck in finding an atheist Mo willing to go on camera  Afro

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #3 - December 17, 2009, 04:31 PM

Muhammad is now the second most popular boy's name in Britain

Really? Do you have a link for that story?

God is Love.

Reply #4 - December 17, 2009, 04:40 PM

While you're here Ayesha, please feel free to discuss your beliefs  Wink

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #5 - December 17, 2009, 07:54 PM

Thanks for your comments so far!  
    I hope some Muhammads do get in touch - there's no pressure to appear in the programme itself and all calls will be confidential.

RIBS annd Billy, apparantly I'm unable to post links in the forum - the story was written in 2007.  Google:
    Muhammad popular name
    and you'll get links to the BBC news website story!

And IsLame - I'm afraid I'm going to have to remain impartial, so there'll be no discussing my personal beliefs on this forum!  Sorry!
    What I can say is that the programme is being made by a diverse team and all beliefs will be respected!

Thanks again
    Keep the comments coming!
    Ayesha
     Reply #6 - December 17, 2009, 08:13 PM

....RIBS annd Billy, apparantly I'm unable to post links in the forum....

I guess you need to post at least (not very sure though) 5 posts to start linking to other sites.

Reply #7 - December 17, 2009, 08:19 PM

Muhammad is now the second most popular boy's name in Britain

That is extremely alarming :(

I'm not sure if it would be safe for an apostate to go public in this way, although if they censored out your face and didn't give your full name, then it would definitely be a good idea from one of us to join the documentary and speak out why they became an atheist  Afro
     Reply #8 - December 17, 2009, 08:20 PM

Here is a link to the story Ayesha mentioned:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1890354.ece

Edit: Thankfully, it is talking only about the most popular name for newborn babies in last year  Roll Eyes. And the reason for that is this:

Scholars said that the name?s rise up the league table was driven partly by the growing number of young Muslims having families, coupled with the desire to name their child in honour of the Prophet.

I think 'coupled' should mean something else here  whistling2
     Reply #9 - December 17, 2009, 10:33 PM

Hi Ayesha,

My middle name is Mohammed, I'm happy to answer questions/do an interview ... but not to put more shame on my family being an atheist I'm sure there are many in my position who won't show their faces. Islam has an excellent memeplex to keep that shame/honor mechanism in place, I think.

I suppose a good story for you would be being interviewed at US airports. Happened to me, dad and my brother (when he was 5 years old). All because of "Mohammed".

Good luck, look forward to the documentary!
     Reply #10 - December 17, 2009, 10:36 PM

btw, what a lead indicator that is about being 2nd most popular!!
     Reply #11 - December 18, 2009, 12:19 AM

Thanks Ayesha. Here is the story.

++++++

Muhammad is now second only to Jack as the most popular name for baby boys in Britain and is likely to rise to No 1 by next year, a study by The Times has found. The name, if all 14 different spellings are included, was shared by 5,991 newborn boys last year, beating Thomas into third place, followed by Joshua and Oliver.

Scholars said that the name?s rise up the league table was driven partly by the growing number of young Muslims having families, coupled with the desire to name their child in honour of the Prophet.

Muhammad Anwar, Professor of Ethnic Relations at Warwick University, said: ?Muslim parents like to have something that shows a link with their religion or with the Prophet.?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1890354.ece

++++++

The ubiquity of the name amongst Muslims is the reason for this - they want their children to be marked with the name of insaan al-kamil and hope that his good qualities rub off on them  Smiley

God is Love.

Reply #12 - December 18, 2009, 12:22 AM

I hope these parents are also aware that you are not allowed to tell a child with the name of Muhammed off.  Or so my parents always told me. 

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #13 - December 18, 2009, 12:39 AM

Joshua? Who's calling his children Joshua?  wacko wacko Huh?
     Reply #14 - December 18, 2009, 12:44 AM

Wish u the best of luck on this. Atheist Muhammad is gna be a tough find, not mention to the fact his face will be on tv for all bigots to see.

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #15 - December 18, 2009, 01:35 AM

Hi Ayesha,

My middle name is Mohammed, I'm happy to answer questions/do an interview ... but not to put more shame on my family being an atheist I'm sure there are many in my position who won't show their faces. Islam has an excellent memeplex to keep that shame/honor mechanism in place, I think.

I suppose a good story for you would be being interviewed at US airports. Happened to me, dad and my brother (when he was 5 years old). All because of "Mohammed".

Good luck, look forward to the documentary!

There's no need to be ashamed about this at all mate. In a few decades your family will quite likely be feeling ashamed for believing in the fairytales of religion!

If you do go on this interview, please don't give the usual stories about getting stopped at the airport because of a muslim name, and create further hate in the muslims against the western society. Instead consider giving the reasons of why you left islam and the flaws you saw in religion, so hopefully the muslims who see it will be thought-provoked by it.
     Reply #16 - December 18, 2009, 02:36 AM

Reply #17 - December 18, 2009, 04:01 AM

Funny how just few days ago I was thinking about starting a new thread about Muslim names, but this thread suits that very well.

My question is, why is it that only Muslims who name their children after prophets?

I mean, I never heard a Christian parent named their Son, "Jesus", or "Moses", although they call their daughters "Mary"! I wonder if it is because the parents subconciously wish for their daughter to remain virgin!

Some (although not nowadays) kids were named Abraham, but have you known or came across someone named Jesus?

Reply #18 - December 18, 2009, 06:03 AM

dependson the culture . Jesus is unheaard of in northern europe , but it's not uncommojn at all in latin america. There may be a belief here that calling your child Jesus is akin to blasphemy, whereas the south americans look on it the way muslims do with Mohammad.

It would make  an interesting programme anyway, and I've always wondered whether being named mo would possibly make it less likely that someone would apostasize( due to more religious and cultural pressure to exhibit sunnah values?Huh?)

We are in favor of tolerance, but it is a very difficult thing to tolerate the intolerant and impossible to tolerate the intolerable.

-George Dennison Prentice
     Reply #19 - December 18, 2009, 06:31 AM

I sometimes tease my hardcore Muslim friends and tell them that naming your kids after Mohamed is not a good idea. Why?

I tell them that if they visited Jail, they would surely find a rapist Mohamed, a killer Mohamed, a thief Mohamed, and probably a pedophile Mohamed. That would be an insult to the prophet!

They usually don't reply to my comments!  Huh?

Reply #20 - December 18, 2009, 06:53 PM

Reply #21 - December 18, 2009, 07:18 PM

I knew it was going to be a tough ask to get an Atheist Mohammad on camera, but I appreciate you all reading this thread, though.

We're not all atheists - there are also a lot of deists and agnostics (like me) here too

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #22 - December 18, 2009, 07:43 PM

I knew it was going to be a tough ask to get an Atheist Mohammad on camera, but I appreciate you all reading this thread, though.

I don't know, but I assume once an Ex-Muslim 'Muhammed' becomes Atheist, won't they change their name? I understand many Ex-Muslims don't change their names once they apostate, but with a name like Muhammed, there is a difference. Maybe that's the reason it's hard to find one? I don't know, just assumptions ...

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who refuse to understand, no explanation is possible.
     Reply #23 - December 18, 2009, 08:14 PM

Agnostics are like atheists without balls.  victory

Here is a creationist with huge balls! Cheesy

Reply #24 - December 18, 2009, 08:38 PM

Contrary to popular misconceptions that's actually a giant tumour from Allah. Allah hates creationists.

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #25 - December 18, 2009, 08:57 PM

Seems a strange premise and a self -limiting one to use people with just the same name for input. You may be missing out on some deep insights and great interviewees  by insisting on this. Im sure there are a whole bunch of Aalams ,Damurahs  or Mahbeers
     ( although  exluding  Daanish may be prudent Smiley )   who could have someting to contribute as well.
    the other problem with this is that you are excluding half the potential interviewees available by canvassing only owners of penises for thier views.

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #26 - December 18, 2009, 11:41 PM

Back on topic, most Muhammads I know just have it in there name so there parents can receive some kind of blessing for naming their son Muhammad, but call him by his middle name. ie Muhammad Shareef or Muhammad Ibrahim, are more often called Shareef and Ibrahim than Muhammad, and only called Muhammad with their middle name suffixed.

Maybe it would be #1 if Ahmad, Mahmoud, and Mustafa (and their various spellings) were included, because these are names of Muhammad too. Afro

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #27 - December 18, 2009, 11:53 PM

The BBC is gonna be pissed at you guys for hijackin dis here thread.

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #28 - December 19, 2009, 12:27 AM

The BBC is gonna be pissed at you guys for hijackin dis here thread.

You need to check my face first, just in case you mistakenly thought I was bothered Wink

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #29 - December 19, 2009, 01:59 AM

So, what is this potential atheist Mohammed going to say on this program

Muhammed: "My name is Muhammed, I used to be a Muslim until I realize how absurd the whole concept of a god was"

• 12 3 ... 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »