Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Islam 4 the UK to be banned

(Read 3040 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Islam 4 the UK to be banned
     OP - January 10, 2010, 10:54 AM

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/668251/WAR-ON-HATE-Home-Secretary-Alan-Johnson-to-impose-anti-terror-laws-on-Anjem-Choudarys-organisations.html

I wonder what will happen to the EDL? Will it disband or go on campaigning as its main objective has now been achieved.
  • Re: Islam 4 the UK to be banned
     Reply #1 - January 10, 2010, 11:00 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN0QSosb6AE

Completely irrelevant, but Anjem should seriously consider this as a career alternative.

Pakistan Zindabad? ya Pakistan sey Zinda bhaag?

Long Live Pakistan? Or run with your lives from Pakistan?
     Reply #2 - January 10, 2010, 11:07 AM

That is pretty useless given that it will be simply driven under ground; individuals congregating but in a non-official capacity; a half baked response as expect that fails to stop the cycle.

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali
     Reply #3 - January 10, 2010, 12:07 PM

It will starve him of publicity.

I have just heard that he is heading towards Wootton Bassett.Choudary's last stand! Cheesy
     Reply #4 - January 10, 2010, 01:10 PM

They are just Al Muhajiroun under another name. They will regroup under another name in time. I suspect that as long as Anjum Chaudhry is still being an 'activist' and being deliberately provocative there will be people like the EDL who want to confront him.

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

• UK to ban controversial Islamist group
     Reply #5 - January 10, 2010, 08:31 PM

London, England (CNN) -- Britain is set to ban a Muslim group that recently caused outrage by proposing a demonstration in the town that receives the bodies of British war dead killed abroad, the Home Office said Sunday.

The ban would prevent Al-Muhajiroun, also known as Islam4UK, from having meetings or raising money. Attending a meeting or being a member of Al-Muhajiroun or Islam4UK would be a criminal offense, a Home Office spokesman said. The spokesman declined to be named, in line with government policy.

"Proscription is a tough but necessary power to tackle terrorism," said the Home Office, which is responsible for domestic security in the United Kingdom.

Two offshoots of Al-Muhajiroun, Al-Ghurabaa and Saviour Sect Group, were banned in July 2006.

The ban should come into force in a matter of "days, not weeks," the spokesman said. It would require approval from both houses of Parliament.

The group's leader, controversial British Muslim cleric Anjem Choudary, has been threatening to stage a march as a protest against the war in Afghanistan.

--

The rest of the story here: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/01/10/uk.islamist.ban/index.html?eref=rss_world&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_world+%28RSS%3A+World%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

• Re: UK to ban controversial Islamist group
     Reply #6 - January 10, 2010, 08:35 PM

Not that I mind, but whats the point? They will get a new name and do the same thing.

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

• Re: UK to ban controversial Islamist group
     Reply #7 - January 10, 2010, 09:17 PM

Bad idea from an intelligence standpoint. Having public groups like that around, monitoring their membership and contacts of that membership is a good way to ID either active terrorist cells or people who could potentially go underground at some point in the future. And besides the intelligence angle, it will be spun by Islam4UK and their ilk as being government repression against Islam/Muslims.

The best way to counter this group has nothing to do with the government-- I'm aware of at least two counterdemos by moderate Muslims against these assholes (one by BMSD, not sure who did the other one). There needs to be better organization amongst the moderate Muslims to decisively counter, isolate and ostracize these types from the broader Muslim community in the UK. No dis to the ex-Muslims here who've been doing some awesome stuff, but the best hope (I think) for isolating the radicals in the UK (and elsewhere) is gonna have to come from more moderate Muslims getting better organized and taking action.

My advice to you Brits is stop relying on the government to fix this shit-- I think you've become too accustomed to expecting the government to fix everything for you (don't get me wrong, this has been happening in the US too, albeit at a slower pace), and this is not a problem that can likely be solved by the government without resort to very drastic measures (e.g. mass deportation of non-citizen Muslims, closing of mosques)-- when it comes to clamping down on a committed insurgency, if you're in for a penny, you might as well be in for a pound, because all half-ass repression will accomplish is strengthening the resolve of those you are fighting against and an increase in enemy recruitment. And very few people here I think would be down with the kind of full-scale repression required for the government to decisively stop the problem.

Look at the example of secularists in the Muslim world-- most of them have tried to enforce secularism through the brute power of the state, and it hasn't worked very well for them, has it? Turkey to an extent, but even they are seeing an Islamist revival (though not nearly to the extent of other countries). But Algeria? Iraq? And I'd be curious to see what happens to Syria if the current regime there is toppled anytime soon. Egypt's all but given up on trying to be a secular country-- making concessions to the Islamists and shooting the ones who threaten Mubarak's power is good enough for them.

Now, it is true that all of those are authoritarian states as opposed to liberal democracies, but the main difference is that living in a liberal democracy gives you a lot more room to organize solutions outside of the structures of the state. I'm hopeful that Iran will soon show the way forward in how to go from an oppressively religious society to a secular one-- even if the regime falls tomorrow, it will take a few decades to make a complete transition to a fully secular society, but things are looking promising, and as much of a cynic as I am, I do still kinda believe in the inevitability of social progress, generally-speaking. I guess there's still an idealistic anarcho-syndicalist deep inside of me somewhere, after all.

fuck you
     Reply #8 - January 10, 2010, 09:56 PM

Islamists cancel Wootton Bassett protest plans

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8451014.stm
     Reply #9 - January 12, 2010, 01:22 PM

Altho Choudary sparked the EDL, it has other reasons for continuing now, the banning of all sharia law courts. Extremism in faith schools and unis, no more Saudi mosques. Quite a list really.

Also Choudary hasn't gone anywhere, he will still be saying the same things, even if it is only as him self.
    He is a very famous man now, the press will line up for a quote on anything Islamic and he'll be more than willing to oblige.

45% of Brits feel that Islam is a threat to our way of life, so people are waking up, now is the time for moderate muslim voices to be heard.

Arthur.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »