Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Today at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hi there

(Read 5754 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hi there
     OP - December 10, 2009, 01:31 PM

Permit selfintroduction, I am Santoku, I am somewhat curious and tendtobehere there andanywhere I take few things seriously.

Yes I am named after a Japanese cooking knife, but I take my name from the meaning which I am told means three blessings.(I have a wife and two daughters) and I am repeatedly assured that they are blessings,times are I am not so sure.

Definition of a daughter - Mother natures revenge on the father.
  • Re: Hi there
     Reply #1 - December 10, 2009, 01:35 PM

Welcome, we need someone with a sense of humour round here 13

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #2 - December 10, 2009, 06:28 PM

Welcome to Hell.

Call me TAP TAP! for I am THE ASS PATTER!
     Reply #3 - December 10, 2009, 06:30 PM

ASALAMUWALAYAKUM WARAHMATULLAHI WABARAKATU!!!

lol just kidding.

Welcome!

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #4 - December 10, 2009, 06:50 PM

Hi Santoku. Welcome to the forum. Do you ever watch Iron Chef? Not sure if it is still going but I used to love that show.  grin12

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #5 - December 10, 2009, 07:34 PM

Welcome to the forum Santoku, tell us a bit about yourself.

Reply #6 - December 10, 2009, 07:37 PM

ASALAMUWALAYAKUM WARAHMATULLAHI WABARAKATU!!!

lol just kidding.

Welcome!

WA-ALAIKUM-ASALAM WARAHMATULLAHI WABARAKATU!!!

*gives you the two handed handshake*

grin12

Reply #7 - December 10, 2009, 11:49 PM

Welcome to the forum Santoku, tell us a bit about yourself.

What to say - am ancient 55, married to lovely lady, two daughters, 10 & 12, enjoy cooking, walking in hills and by the sea, ex martial artist, injury stopped me, also enjoy learning things brass band music ( if done by a good band). Watching rugby working on  my allotment - currently tryig to produce my own breed of early cherry tomatoes. Now there is an ambition. Basically an ordinary bloke.
     Reply #8 - December 11, 2009, 04:37 AM

Welcome to the Forum Buddy
     Reply #9 - December 11, 2009, 04:41 AM

Are you an Ex-Muslim? What is your Relgious background, Santoku?

Welcome.

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who refuse to understand, no explanation is possible.
     Reply #10 - December 11, 2009, 10:33 AM

What to say - am ancient 55, married to lovely lady, two daughters, 10 & 12, enjoy cooking, walking in hills and by the sea, ex martial artist, injury stopped me, also enjoy learning things brass band music ( if done by a good band). Watching rugby working on  my allotment - currently tryig to produce my own breed of early cherry tomatoes. Now there is an ambition. Basically an ordinary bloke.

Yuck, tomatoes.

"But as for those who disbelieve, garments of fire will be cut out for them; boiling fluid will be poured down on their heads; Whereby that which is in their bellies, and their skins too, will be melted; And for them are hooked rods of iron." [Qur'an (22:19-21)]
     Reply #11 - December 11, 2009, 11:47 AM

Permit selfintroduction, I am Santoku, I am somewhat curious and tendtobehere there andanywhere I take few things seriously.

Yes I am named after a Japanese cooking knife, but I take my name from the meaning which I am told means three blessings.(I have a wife and two daughters) and I am repeatedly assured that they are blessings,times are I am not so sure.

Definition of a daughter - Mother natures revenge on the father.

Welcome Santoku...  parrot

Reply #12 - December 11, 2009, 01:24 PM

Welcome Smiley
     Reply #13 - December 11, 2009, 02:03 PM

Welcome Santoku,

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #14 - December 11, 2009, 07:01 PM

Welcome Santoku. You sound like a cool and interesting person Smiley

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #15 - December 11, 2009, 07:02 PM

Welcome Sontoku.
     Reply #16 - December 11, 2009, 07:07 PM

so whats so special about the Santoku knife?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #17 - December 14, 2009, 11:15 PM

The santoku bōchō (三徳包丁?) or bunka bōchō (文化包丁?) is a general-purpose kitchen knife originating in Japan. Its unbolstered blade, which is typically between five and eight inches long, has a flat edge and a sheepsfoot blade that curves in an angle approaching 60 degrees at the point. The top of the santoku's handle is in line with the top of the blade, giving the chef's fingers plenty of room underneath. The santoku's blade and handle are carefully designed to work in harmony by matching the blade's width/weight to the weight of blade tang and handle, and the original Japanese santoku is an especially well-balanced knife.
    The santoku was originally designed as a modification of the western (especially French) beef or chef's knife, adapted to prepare Japanese cuisine. Shorter than most chef's knives, the blade's cutting edge is normally hardened above the latter and is optimized for cutting fish, vegetables, and smaller-boned and/or boneless meats, using traditional Japanese edge geometry.
    In comparison to most western chef's knives, the original Japanese santoku pattern has a thinner flat-ground blade made of harder tempered steel (often 58?62 HRC or higher). This blade design in turn allows a more acute angle on the cutting edge (edge profile) that makes the knife ideal for precision cutting and thin slicing. While a typical western chef's knife might have an edge profile angle of 20?22 degrees, a santoku normally has an angle of 15?18 degrees. The santoku's sharp, tough cutting blade makes the knife ideal for most ordinary kitchen cutting chores. However, because of its shorter blade and hardened, thin-profile edge, the santoku is not designed for cutting against thick bones, kitchen sinks, or other hard surfaces, which could damage or chip the cutting edge. The santoku is especially popular among people with smaller hands, and modified santoku-type knives (made outside of Japan) have appeared on television.
    Other Japanese modifications of the basic santoku pattern include piercings through the body of the blade, hand-hammered blades (which are said to improve strength while presenting a more rustic appearance), and kuro-uchi, a process that leaves the rough black finish from the forge on most of the blade. Some of the best blades employ San Mai laminated steels, including the pattern known as suminagashi (墨流し literally, "flowing-ink paper"). The term refers to the similarity of the pattern formed by the blade's damascened and multi-layer steel alloys to the traditional Japanese art of suminagashi marbled paper. Forged laminated stainless steel cladding is employed on better Japanese santoku knives to improve strength and rust resistance while maintaining a hard edge. Knives possessing these expensive laminated blades are generally considered to be the ultimate expression of quality in a genuine Japanese santoku.
    Many copies of santoku-pattern knives made outside Japan have substantially different edge designs, different balance, and softer steels (thus requiring a thicker cutting edge profile) than the original Japanese santoku. One trend in some non-Japanese santoku variations made of a single alloy is to include kullenschliff, scallops or recesses (known as kullens) hollowed out of the side of blade, similar to those found in meat-carving knives. These scallops create small air pockets between the blade and the material being sliced in an attempt to improve separation and reduce cutting friction. However, manufacturing limitations generally limit such features to mass-produced blades fabricated of softer, less expensive stainless steel alloys. Genuine Japanese santoku blades do not use such features but instead rely on inherent quality of steel and edge geometry to make clean cuts.

That is the tech stuff, but f you have ever used a good Japanese Santoku you will know just how good and useful they are.
     Reply #18 - December 14, 2009, 11:20 PM

I prefer my knife - I dont know the name of it as I bought it on the Good Food Fair exhibition.  However is has a large D-shaped blade, with air pockets too, and is about 1mm thick at the thickest end and razor sharp at the cutting end.  Had it for 3 years now, and rarely use another knife, unless I am cutting meat and veg.  Even then I prefer to wash this knife and reuse it!

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #19 - December 14, 2009, 11:22 PM

Are you an Ex-Muslim? What is your Relgious background, Santoku?

Welcome.

I guess you could call me a traditional  agnostic. That is one who takes the scientific viewpoint:-
    There may be a God or not there is insufficient evidence to prove it one way or the other, of course, if God would like to drop infor a cuppa I will happily discuss it with him (or her or it).

I take exception to those atheists who have hijacked agnosticism and tried (and largely succeeded) in redefining it to mean atheism thus trying to add us to their totally unscientific viewpoint.
     Reply #20 - December 14, 2009, 11:31 PM

I prefer my knife - I dont know the name of it as I bought it on the Good Food Fair exhibition.  However is has a large D-shaped blade, with air pockets too, and is about 1mm thick at the thickest end and razor sharp at the cutting end.  Had it for 3 years now, and rarely use another knife, unless I am cutting meat and veg.  Even then I prefer to wash this knife and reuse it!

Anything like this one?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21zn3e%2B39wL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.kitchenknivesdirect.co.uk/acatalog/sahmkhom3026dn.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21zn3e%2B39wL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Anything like these?
     Reply #21 - December 14, 2009, 11:32 PM

Thanks - I hope you can see from my earlier discussion that I too have a problem with Atheists hijacking the term agnostic to incorporate them.  Just because they dont want to acknowledge agnosticism or being non-committal - for some it would not surprise me if it was just a knee-jerk reaction to their previous state of theism
    I take exception to those atheists who have hijacked agnosticism and tried (and largely succeeded) in redefining it to mean atheism

I dont think they have succeeded with anyone apart from their own - Most relegious people are none the wiser about this multiple defining scale of the word atheist from 0-10 which was invented by Dawkins only in the last decade.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #22 - December 14, 2009, 11:34 PM

Yuck, tomatoes.

Depends which ones you eat. Tomatoes varyas much as apples in their flavours, and more.
     Reply #23 - December 14, 2009, 11:35 PM

I'm a militant atheist. You will be assimilated! Dawkins wills it!

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #24 - December 14, 2009, 11:38 PM

They are all Santoku's arent they?  Mine is similar but the blade is far more rounded than the flat bladed Santoku, it makes it easier to cut lots of vegetables in a rocking motion..
    Depends which ones you eat. Tomatoes varyas much as apples in their flavours, and more.

Cherry tomatoes are my favourite - more sweet and more flavour concentration than their larger cousins..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #25 - December 14, 2009, 11:41 PM

I guess you could call me a traditional  agnostic. That is one who takes the scientific viewpoint:-
    There may be a God or not there is insufficient evidence to prove it one way or the other, of course, if God would like to drop infor a cuppa I will happily discuss it with him (or her or it).

I take exception to those atheists who have hijacked agnosticism and tried (and largely succeeded) in redefining it to mean atheism thus trying to add us to their totally unscientific viewpoint.

Thanks for the response. I have similar views to you.

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary. For those who refuse to understand, no explanation is possible.
     Reply #26 - December 14, 2009, 11:45 PM

This knife is more like mine - its gorgeous, but costs 135 pounds though!

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #27 - December 14, 2009, 11:48 PM

btw if anyone wants to buy me a christmas present, you can buy it from richmond cookshop - cheers  dance

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #28 - December 17, 2009, 01:17 AM

This knife is more like mine - its gorgeous, but costs 135 pounds though!

(Clicky for piccy!)

Yep! They are all santokus, as is that one, guess you know why I love mine.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »