Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hello from Syria :)

(Read 7904 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hello from Syria :)
     OP - December 04, 2009, 06:35 AM

Hi everyone, my birth name is Abdul-rahman, I was born and raised here in Syria.
    Born a sunni-muslim but have always had doubts about religion, later on I found out that where I eventually stood was called "Atheism", and I've been this way now for around 10 years.
    Although I've enjoyed reading resources in English throughout the last ten years; this is the first English-language forum I have subscribed in ( in regards to religion and belief ), it will be an exciting thing for me to explore here.
    I actually got here because of a quotation a friend made from this forum in "Arab Atheists Network", a network I have been a member of for quite some time now.

Well, that's all I got now, hope to interact with you guys later on.

Cheers Smiley
  • Re: Hello from Syria :)
     Reply #1 - December 04, 2009, 06:41 AM

Hey iThink! Welcome, I'm pretty new here too. Good to see a skeptic/atheist from heart of the Arab world.  yes

You english is very good, so I think there should be no issues! I think you will find lots of very knowledgable and open-minded people here who you can discuss lots of in-depth issues with.

Also do you live in Damascus? You don't have to tell if you don't want. I've always wanted to visit that place myself.  Smiley

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #2 - December 04, 2009, 06:49 AM

Hi iThink.  Smiley  We have a couple of other Syrians that drop in here sometimes. We know about Arab Atheists too as we have them linked from our front page, and one of our admins (BerberElla) has her story in their English section.

Welcome to the forum. Make yourself at home. parrot

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #3 - December 04, 2009, 06:59 AM

Thank you Kafirist and osmanthus.
    I live up north Kafirist, Lattakia, by the Mediterranean. Smiley
     Reply #4 - December 04, 2009, 07:08 AM

Latakia? Wow! That's a very nice and such a historically rich place. Very close to Turkey I think. Have you ever been to Antakya or Aleppo (halab)?

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #5 - December 04, 2009, 07:34 AM

Welcome, iThink. How's life in Syria for you? Do you know others who share your outlook? Nice username  Afro - glad you found us.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #6 - December 04, 2009, 07:39 AM

Thanks, it is nice I guess.  Smiley
    I've never been to Turkey, although It's not far from here.  but I've been to Aleppo.
     Reply #7 - December 04, 2009, 07:48 AM

Hello allat, glad to be here too Smiley
    Well surprisingly; I haven't met anyone who shares my views in the area I live in yet, it is surprising knowing that Syria is somehow considered closer to secularism when compared to other arab nations. ( or maybe it's just that I'm not that social .. lol )
     Reply #8 - December 04, 2009, 08:53 AM

Hi everyone, my birth name is Abdul-rahman, I was born and raised here in Syria.

Hi Abdul-Rahman

Welcome to the forum. I used to be a sunni muslim but from Kashmiri origins. As an atheist I'm always keen to find out about how fellow ex-muslims made their journey towards atheism.

So tell me what is the atheist scene like in Syria? Is it all hush hush?

Have you heard of Muhammad Al-Yaqoobi and Ramadhan Booti? They are both fairly popular "shaykhs" within the sunni community.
     Reply #9 - December 04, 2009, 08:55 AM

Hi. signwelcome

"We were married by a Reform rabbi in Long Island. A very Reform rabbi. A Nazi."-- Woody Allen
     Reply #10 - December 04, 2009, 10:03 AM

Hi Abdul-Rahman

Welcome to the forum. I used to be a sunni muslim but from Kashmiri origins. As an atheist I'm always keen to find out about how fellow ex-muslims made their journey towards atheism.

Hi Omaar, actually I've always taken religious essential beliefs for granted -as most believers do-.   the family I grew up in wasn't the type that you'd call "religious", yes they were committed believers with the prayings and the fasting and all that, but for example i wasn't beaten in order to pray by the age of 10 ( as Muhammad suggested ).
    I remember going to the "Friday prayer" with my dad until I was 14 or 15, the whole thing began to surface when I started to ask questions, and with the "religious mental restrains" aside ... the more I was exposed to information, the more it was clear to me, and this holds until this day.

So tell me what is the atheist scene like in Syria? Is it all hush hush?

Well, I wouldn't say it's all "hush hush" out here, as I said earlier ... yea I don't know any atheists in person ( I do know a couple of deists though ), but one wouldn't get their head chopped off over it ( thankfully! ), a couple of family members and all my close friends know where I stand.

Have you heard of Muhammad Al-Yaqoobi and Ramadhan Booti? They are both fairly popular "shaykhs" within the sunni community.

I'm not sure about Al-Yaqoobi, but I'm familiar with Al-Booti, what about them ?

victory
     Reply #11 - December 04, 2009, 10:04 AM

Hi. signwelcome

Thanks Angel54  Smiley
     Reply #12 - December 04, 2009, 10:21 AM

Born a sunni-muslim but have always had doubts about religion, later on I found out that where I eventually stood was called "Atheism", and I've been this way now for around 10 years.
    Although I've enjoyed reading resources in English throughout the last ten years; this is the first English-language forum I have subscribed in ( in regards to religion and belief ), it will be an exciting thing for me to explore here.
    I actually got here because of a quotation a friend made from this forum in "Arab Atheists Network", a network I have been a member of for quite some time now.

Well, that's all I got now, hope to interact with you guys later on.

Cheers Smiley

Hello fellow Murtad! Nice name you've got there... "iThink" very nice indeed.

Who is the culprit here, me or Prosaic? I know she posts there and she has many nice posts actually. I have been there many times, but I must admit I found my self more comfortable here at COEM...

Enjoy your stay! Please be careful with your personal details... Nothing wrong with being cautios, with all the nutty professors of religion around, being private is advisable. Afro

Reply #13 - December 04, 2009, 10:35 AM

Hello RIBS, thanks a lot for the compliment and the warm welcoming!

Well the quotation was made by "Omaar Khayaam" there, the one about Logical Fallacies.
    I've been there for quite some time, spent most of it mainly reading and reading and it was helpful, and here COEM is feeling homely already!

I appreciate the advise, and it will certainly be taken into consideration.  victory
     Reply #14 - December 04, 2009, 10:54 AM

Welcome iThink, Tislam habibi.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #15 - December 04, 2009, 10:54 AM

Welcome, I hope you enjoy i here.

Correct me if I am wrong,but I think somebody from the Arab Atheist Network made a post here about a month ago asking for some help on a video about Prophet muhammed - hows that project coming along?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #16 - December 04, 2009, 11:06 AM

Welcome iThink, Tislam habibi.

ala rasi ya Baal. Smiley

Welcome, I hope you enjoy i here.

Correct me if I am wrong,but I think somebody from the Arab Atheist Network made a post here about a month ago asking for some help on a video about Prophet muhammed - hows that project coming along?

Hi IsLame and thanks, I'm not sure about that, last project the guys were working on was about "Slavery in Islam" and I guess that not much progress has been achieved since I haven't read any further updates from the member in charge.
     Reply #17 - December 04, 2009, 11:28 AM

merħba għalik ħabib

"Modern man's great illusion has been to convince himself that of all that has gone before he represents the zenith of human accomplishment, but can't summon the mental powers to read anything more demanding than emoticons. Fascinating. "

One very horny Turk I met on the net.
     Reply #18 - December 04, 2009, 11:28 AM

I'm not sure about Al-Yaqoobi, but I'm familiar with Al-Booti, what about them ?

No reason really, just curious. Was wondering if you might have studied under them or listened to any of their lectures etc?

Yaqoobi has been to the UK many times and is a Hanafi jurist. Very very strict and fanatical in his ideas. Traces his lineage back to the main man Muhammad himself through his grandson Hassan.
     Reply #19 - December 04, 2009, 11:51 AM

Hello ras111,  how about that Charles Manson dude huh ? great

No reason really, just curious. Was wondering if you might have studied under them or listened to any of their lectures etc?

Yaqoobi has been to the UK many times and is a Hanafi jurist. Very very strict and fanatical in his ideas. Traces his lineage back to the main man Muhammad himself through his grandson Hassan.

No no no no ... I would have passed on that, although in elementary school I was tricked by the islamic class teacher into going to an after-school religion course for like a month, but that was it.  grin12
    Interesting stuff to read about Al-Yaqoobi! haven't heard that before.
     Reply #20 - December 04, 2009, 12:13 PM

Hello ras111,  how about that Charles Manson dude huh ? great
    No no no no ... I would have passed on that, although in elementary school I was tricked by the islamic class teacher into going to an after-school religion course for like a month, but that was it.  grin12
    Interesting stuff to read about Al-Yaqoobi! haven't heard that before.

Here's some info about old Yakkers:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_al-Yaqoubi
     Reply #21 - December 04, 2009, 01:03 PM

Hi iThink,
    welcome to the forum. i am still studying (regarding my 'faith'), therefore can not say if im atheist agnostic etc. but i feel close to atheism anyway. i hope its allowed to be here even tho im still researching? but most of the time i have to act for family and frined sake.

have fun. see u around.
     Reply #22 - December 04, 2009, 04:13 PM

Well the quotation was made by "Omaar Khayaam" there, the one about Logical Fallacies.
    I've been there for quite some time, spent most of it mainly reading and reading and it was helpful, and here COEM is feeling homely already!

Hi that's me  dance , the 'Omar Khayyam' here is a different guy  Wink
    Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your stay.

"In every time and culture there are pressures to conform to the prevailing prejudices. But there are also, in every place and epoch, those who value the truth; who record the evidence faithfully. Future generations are in their debt." -Carl Sagan

Reply #23 - December 04, 2009, 09:31 PM

Hi iThink,
    welcome to the forum. i am still studying (regarding my 'faith'), therefore can not say if im atheist agnostic etc. but i feel close to atheism anyway. i hope its allowed to be here even tho im still researching? but most of the time i have to act for family and frined sake.

have fun. see u around.

Yup, you're allowed. We aint fussy.  grin12

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #24 - December 04, 2009, 09:39 PM

Welcome iThink!

Once he was in power, they needed him there, to make sense of their lives.

(a book critic about stalin)
     Reply #25 - December 04, 2009, 10:02 PM

Welcome iThink! Good to have you here.

By the way, the Saudi Sheikh Muhammad Salih Al-Munajjid lives in Saudi Arabia, but is originally from Syria. Have you heard of him?

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #26 - December 04, 2009, 11:43 PM

Welcome Ithink

Fellow ex Sunni Muslim now Atheist
     Reply #27 - December 04, 2009, 11:59 PM

Hello Infidel and thanks, glad you made that post.   great

thanks guys,
    Max
    Cool Canadian
    _truth_

victory
     Reply #28 - December 05, 2009, 12:07 AM

Welcome iThink! Good to have you here.

By the way, the Saudi Sheikh Muhammad Salih Al-Munajjid lives in Saudi Arabia, but is originally from Syria. Have you heard of him?

Oh yea! the one accused of hating on Mickey Mouse ... 13
     Reply #29 - December 05, 2009, 01:01 AM

Welcome

fuck you
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »