Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Microsoft admits Windows Updates principally created to annoy

(Read 3040 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Microsoft admits Windows Updates principally created to annoy
     OP - December 03, 2009, 11:55 AM

Microsoft admits Windows Updates principally created to annoy

Microsoft has admitted that its regular software updates are pranks largely generated by bored or frustrated programmers. The admission, which follows a three-year investigation by a special US Congressional Committee, has merely confirmed what many computer experts have been saying for some time.

Nigel Drake, a software analyst with Drayton Mann, said: 'Honestly, when was the last time you actually downloaded a 'critical' update or patch from Microsoft, and it made any difference to anything you were doing? The screen doesn't change, it doesn't go any faster, it doesn't stop getting attacked by viruses, it doesn't boot up quicker, in fact if anything it gets slower and then your whole screen goes black.'

The updates, which are simultaneously offered to users in 82 countries, are programmed to make their presence known in a variety of annoying ways: as soon as the machine is switched on; before the machine can be switched off or in the case of modern Windows systems as soon as the machine detects the user is engaged in any activity of importance or interest.

'Windows Updates are not compulsory,' said a Microsoft spokesperson, 'and the user has the option of simply switching off the prompts and ignoring them.' However, Paul Strickland, who recently purchased Microsoft's new Windows 7 package, said that when he turned off alerts and ignored updates he noticed that events took a sinister turn. 'At first it was just harmlessly irritating, as usual. I'd get a message saying 'you've turned off alerts' every time I used the machine. Then when I was working it would randomly flash up 'hey, you're missing out on important updates'. A little later the machine began unexpectedly crashing, and I got a message saying 'you were warned'.

The next day my wife's car was mysteriously run off the road by a strange black utility vehicle, and I found that all evidence of my existence, bank details and driving licence had been completely wiped off every database on earth. It might just have been an innocent glitch, but all I know is that when I switched the alerts back on everything returned to normal. So now I consider the endless pop-ups, flashing icons, warning gong sounds or system freezes a small price to pay for my family's safety.'

Microsoft has turned down all interview requests, and has put the case in the hands of its lawyers, Munro Gibson. A partner at the firm issued a statement on his client's behalf, which said, 'While Microsoft regrets that Windows Updates serve no useful purpose other than providing a safety valve for people driven slowly mad by writing endless code, we deny any wrongdoing. We feel it only fair to add that we are aware of where you live and how old is little Katie now, she must be, what, about five years old? They're so vulnerable at that age.'
    parrot

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Re: Microsoft admits Windows Updates principally created to annoy
     Reply #1 - December 03, 2009, 12:02 PM

Is this true? you mean das updates useless?

It is not the way you live your life that is important, it is how well you enjoy it that matters.
     Reply #2 - December 03, 2009, 12:32 PM

The next day my wife's car was mysteriously run off the road by a strange black utility vehicle, and I found that all evidence of my existence, bank details and driving licence had been completely wiped off every database on earth. It might just have been an innocent glitch, but all I know is that when I switched the alerts back on everything returned to normal. So now I consider the endless pop-ups, flashing icons, warning gong sounds or system freezes a small price to pay for my family's safety.'

Cheesy

Reply #3 - December 03, 2009, 02:13 PM

OZ, give me the links, want to forward to some friends  thnkyu
     Reply #4 - December 03, 2009, 07:31 PM

The title in the OP is the link to the article. That's why it is coloured like all the other links.  grin12  I always do this with any articles.  Wink

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #5 - December 03, 2009, 07:35 PM

Its funny because its true...  Cheesy

Iblis has mad debaterin' skillz. Best not step up unless you're prepared to recieve da pain.

Reply #6 - December 03, 2009, 09:17 PM

Oz , bugger off with the shitnews, they are not funny and they are time consuming.

And this one is actually true.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #7 - December 03, 2009, 11:19 PM

Microsoft got some balls doing that. I guess they can cause they know that it's not gonna change their sales any.

Call me TAP TAP! for I am THE ASS PATTER!
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »