Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Singer Haifa Wehbe offends with 'Nubian monkeys' lyric

(Read 6749 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Singer Haifa Wehbe offends with 'Nubian monkeys' lyric
     OP - November 21, 2009, 01:42 AM

Lebanese diva's lyrics hit sour note
    JACK SHENKER
    November 21, 2009

CAIRO: One of the Arab world's biggest pop stars has provoked outrage after releasing a song that refers to black Egyptians as monkeys.

Haifa Wehbe, an award-winning Lebanese diva who has been voted one of the world's most beautiful people, is facing a lawsuit from Egyptian Nubians who say that the song has fuelled discrimination against them and made some Nubian children afraid to attend school.

The row has cast fresh light on the position within Egyptian society of Nubians, who are descended from one of Africa's most ancient civilisations but often face marginalisation.

Wehbe, a 35-year-old model turned actor and singer, is widely regarded as the Middle East's most prominent sex symbol and has been no stranger to controversy in the past.

Her skimpy outfits and provocative lyrics (one previous hit was entitled Hey, Good Little Muslim Boy) have earned her the wrath of religious conservatives and her forays into the political arena have also sparked debate, including her public praise for the Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah during the 2006 conflict between Israel and Lebanon.

The latest accusations of racism came after the release of her new song, Where Is Daddy?, in which a child sings to Wehbe, ''Where is my teddy bear and the Nubian monkey?''

Wehbe has since apologised profusely for the offending lyrics, insisting they were the work of Egyptian songwriter who told her that ''Nubian monkey'' was an innocent term for a popular children's game.

That has not stopped a group of Nubian lawyers submitting an official complaint to Egypt's public prosecutor and calling for the song to be banned.

''Everyone is upset,'' said Sayed Maharous, 49, the Nubian owner of a coffee shop in Cairo.

Adul Raouf Mohammed, who runs a nearby store, agreed. ''To compare a human being to an animal is insulting in any culture,'' he said. ''She has denigrated an entire community of people and now some of our children are afraid to go into school because they know they will be called monkeys in the playground.''

The row over Wehbe's song has highlighted a growing sense of communal identity among Nubians in Egypt, a country where the government has traditionally promoted a monolithic brand of nationalism, sometimes to the exclusion of religious or ethnic minorities.

Despite having broken through into the cultural mainstream - several Nubian novelists are well regarded in intellectual circles and Nubian singers such as Mohamed Mounir are among the most popular in the country - Egypt's estimated 2 million Nubians remain largely invisible on television and film, except as lampooned stereotypes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF70d7VNJOM

[Warning: the song is extremely crap and hard to sit through - if you want something more catchy, see the next post:]

The language of the mob was only the language of public opinion cleansed of hypocrisy and restraint - Hannah Arendt.
  • Re: Singer Haifa Wehbe offends with 'Nubian monkeys' lyric
     Reply #1 - November 21, 2009, 01:58 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE0J4Ewc1kA

The language of the mob was only the language of public opinion cleansed of hypocrisy and restraint - Hannah Arendt.
     Reply #2 - November 21, 2009, 02:35 AM

An arab being racist? you don't say!

Tabari IX:69 - "Arabs are the most noble people in lineage, the most prominent, and the best in deeds. We were the first to respond to the call of the Prophet. We are Allah's helpers and the viziers of His Messenger. We fight people until they believe in Allah. He who believes in Allah and His Messenger has protected his life and possessions from us. As for one who disbelieves, we will fight him forever in Allah's Cause. Killing him is a small matter to us."

Ishaq:243 - "I heard the Apostle say: 'Whoever wants to see Satan should look at Nabtal!' He was a black man with long flowing hair, inflamed eyes, and dark ruddy cheeks.... Allah sent down concerning him: 'To those who annoy the Prophet there is a painful doom." [9:61] "Gabriel came to Muhammad and said, 'If a black man comes to you his heart is more gross than a donkey's.'"

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali
     Reply #3 - November 21, 2009, 02:39 AM

She's definitely well fuckable though.  grin12

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #4 - November 21, 2009, 04:05 AM

+1

"In every time and culture there are pressures to conform to the prevailing prejudices. But there are also, in every place and epoch, those who value the truth; who record the evidence faithfully. Future generations are in their debt." -Carl Sagan

Reply #5 - November 21, 2009, 04:37 AM

eww girls have cooties  vomit

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali
     Reply #6 - November 21, 2009, 04:56 AM

I have cooties too so I'm not worried about girl cooties. Tongue

Reply #7 - November 21, 2009, 05:05 AM

"Hey, Good Little Muslim Boy"... Brilliant. Never heard it though.

"But as for those who disbelieve, garments of fire will be cut out for them; boiling fluid will be poured down on their heads; Whereby that which is in their bellies, and their skins too, will be melted; And for them are hooked rods of iron." [Qur'an (22:19-21)]
     Reply #8 - November 21, 2009, 05:20 AM

An arab being racist? you don't say!

Tabari IX:69 - "Arabs are the most noble people in lineage, the most prominent, and the best in deeds. We were the first to respond to the call of the Prophet. We are Allah's helpers and the viziers of His Messenger. We fight people until they believe in Allah. He who believes in Allah and His Messenger has protected his life and possessions from us. As for one who disbelieves, we will fight him forever in Allah's Cause. Killing him is a small matter to us."

Ishaq:243 - "I heard the Apostle say: 'Whoever wants to see Satan should look at Nabtal!' He was a black man with long flowing hair, inflamed eyes, and dark ruddy cheeks.... Allah sent down concerning him: 'To those who annoy the Prophet there is a painful doom." [9:61] "Gabriel came to Muhammad and said, 'If a black man comes to you his heart is more gross than a donkey's.'"

I never heard the bit about Jibreel telling Muhammad about Black people. But if a Muslim found out they would say "Kaiwai, you are taking that out of context, you fucking faggot Jewwww Fag kaafir!"

It peeves me off when the pull the "out of context" card plus the name calling

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #9 - November 21, 2009, 05:25 AM

Actually they would probably say that Tabari and Ishaq are not regarded as reliable.

Reply #10 - November 21, 2009, 05:39 AM

Actually they would probably say that Tabari and Ishaq are not regarded as reliable.

Ah, the weak hadith argument, the same short of crap pulled regarding the narration regarding Aisha but they're happy to use it to legitimise a marriage, or claim that there is no mentioning of stoning in the Qur'an regarding adultery but they don't tell you about hadith regarding it. It is the Muslim dodge dance with more fancy footwork than even Michael Jackson could achieve.

It is weak in front of the kaffir, but happy to use it when around fellow Muslims.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »