Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Famous Muslim to infamous Murtad

(Read 160984 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 34 35 3637 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Famous Muslim to infamous Murtad
     Reply #1050 - December 14, 2010, 08:01 PM

Reply #1051 - December 14, 2010, 08:06 PM

You seriously need to work on your arguments.  yes

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #1052 - December 14, 2010, 08:08 PM

Thanks. That was a very good argument Smiley No need to work on yours Smiley
     Reply #1053 - December 14, 2010, 08:11 PM

It was a comment, not an argument.  Afro

Reply #1054 - December 14, 2010, 08:19 PM

So if I add my name into a sentence and bring it out to you like in the following example: "Hello, my name is S M Anowarul kabir" but don't give you the reference from where I copied it (My passport/birth certificate), does that make me a plagarizer?

I'm amused by the probability that you formulated this retort with a straight face.  I also wish that you'd had some experience at university where you can use this defence while, inevitably at some point, being disciplined for plagiarism.

Against the ruin of the world, there
    is only one defense: the creative act.

-- Kenneth Rexroth
     Reply #1055 - December 14, 2010, 08:26 PM

not really in line with my sense of humour, but I know there's one or two of you on here who will find it hilarious  Smiley :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLKk00OYKhU

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #1056 - December 14, 2010, 08:53 PM

Very funny video. I laughed. A bearded half-naked man walking down the street singing a song and then getting hit by a bus. Has nothing to do with Jesus of Nazareth. Try again please Tongue
     Reply #1057 - December 14, 2010, 09:00 PM

Are you really trying to say Einstein believed in God? LOL  Cheesy

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #1058 - December 14, 2010, 09:05 PM

Also Jefferson was a deist, not a Christian.

Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity.
    -Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

I concur with you strictly in your opinion of the comparative merits of atheism and demonism, and really see nothing but the latter in the being worshipped by many who think themselves Christians.
    -Thomas Jefferson, letter to Richard Price, Jan. 8, 1789 (Richard Price had written to TJ on Oct. 26. about the harm done by religion and wrote "Would not Society be better without Such religions? Is Atheism less pernicious than Demonism?")

The whole history of these books [the Gospels] is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills.
    -Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Adams, January 24, 1814

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #1059 - December 14, 2010, 09:09 PM

Jefferson was a badass when it came to telling religious people off.

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #1060 - December 14, 2010, 09:17 PM

Here's a lecture that Neil deGrasse Tyson gave on 'The God of the Gaps'.  It features some of the famous believer scientists of old (i.e. Galileo, Newton, etc.), why they believed then and why they wouldn't believe now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vrpPPV_yPY
     Reply #1061 - December 14, 2010, 09:44 PM

@serrated_colon you can fuck off too and salute your Ape god out of whom your grandfather came (right?)

Yes I will be honest by saying that I know nothing of mathematics, phsyics, science etc but what do YOU know about them? Are you claiming that you know about them any better than the scientists mentioned above? And Are the two scientists you mentioned any better than Isaac Newton, Galili and and Albert Einstein and the rest I mentioned?

gonna study mathematics at uni and i already have a background reading in formal logic(specifically mathematical logic but similar principles apply in philosophical logic) and other aspects of philosophy. i have a wavering interest in physics, but not a really specific one. as for 'which scientists are better', i'm not saying these scientists weren't great men. it's just you claiming that because they're theists your beliefs are automatically valid is just fucking absurd, which is why i got so annoyed. you want to talk about God's existence? then present an argument, don't run to the fact that great men were also theists to confirm your beliefs.
    You might not be a muslim but you are acting like one. (A muslim will say: if you don't believe in my crap, I will kill you. So convert or die (in your case, it would be "name-calling"))

It's okay though. There are ex-muslims who leave Islam but remnants of nazism, violence and intolerance still remain in them for quite a while. I have been a practicing muslim for 24 years and I can relate.

Notice that I'm not here to convert an atheist to Christianity. If you don't believe in God and/or Christianity, I could hardly give a damn.

Quoting: "just because some famous scientists who have my respect believed in god, doesn't mean that your belief has any validity"

My response: "Oh fuck off! Just because two famous scientists Darwin and Stephen Hawkings, who have my respect, do not believe in god doesn't mean that your belief that god doesn't exist has any validity"

"You are just another ignorant muslim who became an ignorant atheist"

ignorant of what? i haven't run to the fact that a scientist was an atheist to validate my beliefs, or lack of rather. i'm asking whether you understand WHY these scientists were theists! also darwin was a christian and his first degree was in theology btw.

you want to be critical of those who don't believe in god? then present an ACTUAL ARGUMENT. i have my criticisms of rené descartes, but i'm not going to present them if you don't understand why rene descartes was a theist. make your argument or stop appealing to random authorities whose work you probably have never studied.

Notice the double standard? Cheesy

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
    Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955), "Science, Philosophy and Religion: a Symposium", 1941

READ

and he wasn't religious. he believed in the God of Spinoza, who was a panentheist. he basically believed that the universe encompassed God and that God also transcended this universe.

again, stop using the fact that great men were theists to give your beliefs any validity, PRESENT AN ARGUMENT OR FUCK OFF.
     Reply #1062 - December 14, 2010, 09:57 PM

I'm guessing he deleted the posts out of embarassment or were those pms?

'A knowledge of the existence of something we cannot penetrate, of the manifestations of the profoundest reason and the most radiant beauty - it is this knowledge and this emotion that constitute the truly religious attitude; in this sense, and in this alone, I am a deeply religious man.' (Albert Einstein)

I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.' (Albert Einstein, 1954)

'I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings.' (Albert Einstein)

All quotes from the man, himself. His views on theology and morality, below.

'A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.'
    (Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science", New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930)

'I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the kind that we experience in ourselves. Neither can I nor would I want to conceive of an individual that survives his physical death; let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egoism, cherish such thoughts. I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and with the awareness and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature.' (Albert Einstein, The World as I See It)

This site is great.

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/albert-einstein-god-religion-theology.htm

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #1063 - December 14, 2010, 10:01 PM

Who deleted whose posts and who is embarrassed?
     Reply #1064 - December 14, 2010, 10:02 PM

That's your interpretion and opinion, not everyone else's. But you are entitled to your opinion just as I'm to mine.

Here's a list of world-famous scientists who believed in God

So, armand, seeing as you are appealing to the authority of the "scientific" mind, if I were to find you the best scientific mind in the world (objectively ranked of course), would you follow the opinions of that person without any complaint and any questioning?

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #1065 - December 14, 2010, 10:06 PM

Who deleted whose posts and who is embarrassed?

Sorry, I didn't read the page before.

"The ideal tyranny is that which is ignorantly self-administered by its victims. The most perfect slaves are, therefore, those which blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves."
     Reply #1066 - December 14, 2010, 10:09 PM

I love you SC  Afro

(Armand - you're such a prick)
     Reply #1067 - December 14, 2010, 10:11 PM

Oi. Try to keep it clean, please. Smiley

Reply #1068 - December 14, 2010, 10:21 PM

"i'm not saying these scientists weren't great men. it's just you claiming that because they're theists your beliefs are automatically valid is just fucking absurd, which is why i got so annoyed"

Well let me tell you the same stuff: I'm also not saying the scientists you mentioned were NOT great men. But just because they are atheists and can come up with one or two mathematical equation or a theory (such as the evolution theory, which is merely a theory and not a fact) to prove god doesn't exist doesn't necessarily and immediately validate your claim that god doesn't exist, either

Secondly, I don't give a damn if you get annoyed or not. If you get annoyed, then that's your problem, not mine. You want me change my opinion because you get annoyed when i present before you my opinion? Don't you realize that your argument is as fucking absurd and annoying as well?

"i haven't run to the fact that a scientist was an atheist to validate my beliefs, or lack of rather. i'm asking whether you understand WHY these scientists were theists!"

well you were the one who brought up pascal and some other guy and their mathematical theory or whatever to disprove the claims of the scientists (I mentioned) that god exists.

I don't know why they were deists. But if they were deists, they believed in God.

"he wasn't religious. he believed in the God of Spinoza, who was a panentheist. he basically believed that the universe encompassed God and that God also transcended this universe. "

First of all what do you mean by "religious"? So I believe in God. Does that make me religious or non-religious? He believed in the god of spinoza. So he WAS a deist, not atheist.  He believed in panentheism. okay. and panentheism's god was who? You just said it: Spinoza. He didn't believe men came out of Ape's ass.

I'm not being highly critical of anything. This conversation started when I was responding to a comment by Kimnodesia where she said that she thought she would be more closer to god if she accepted a monotheistic religion. What I was doing was pointing out to her that Christianity is indeed a monotheistic religion and not what Muslims misrepresent it to be. But then someone came out of somewhere and said that I jumped from fire into a frying pan. Then I said something in reply to that. I wasn't criticisizing anyone but merely saying that if i jumped from one frying pan into another, then those scientists who were absolutely more smarter, intelligent and educated than the poster of that comment must have also jumped into frying pans, right?

Reply #1069 - December 14, 2010, 10:30 PM

^^The burden of proof is always on the believer. We can't prove atheism is true but we can utilise science as a way of verifying or in the case of Xtianity and Islam, falsifying the metaphysical claims made.

Also, you don't seem to understand the concept of evolution very well.

Reply #1070 - December 14, 2010, 10:34 PM

btw: i was being an asshole because armand isn't presenting an argument. i have nothing against christians and idc whether he wants to believe in jesus and shit. but if he isn't going to say anything beyond HEY LOOK THESE SCIENTISTS ARE THEISTS THAT MEANS EITHER I'M RIGHT OR YOU'RE A BETTER SCIENTIST is just the worst thing i've ever heard, worthy of me being a total dick.

if you're interested in an actual discussion, then please go beyond this appeal to authority nonsense. i'm sure you know how to critically think, or rather i hope you know. if you don't, then please learn armanduk, i have a few ebooks i can recommend to you.

"i'm not saying these scientists weren't great men. it's just you claiming that because they're theists your beliefs are automatically valid is just fucking absurd, which is why i got so annoyed"

Well let me tell you the same stuff: I'm also not saying the scientists you mentioned were NOT great men. But just because they are atheists and can come up with one or two mathematical equation or a theory (such as the evolution theory, which is merely a theory and not a fact) to prove god doesn't exist doesn't necessarily and immediately validate your claim that god doesn't exist, either

i never said god doesn't exist. i didn't even present a discussion on god.

your ignorance is epitomised by the fact that you said 'evolution is just a theory'. so is gravity. do you believe that gravity doesn't exist either, as it's 'just a theory'?

Secondly, I don't give a damn if you get annoyed or not. If you get annoyed, then that's your problem, not mine. You want me change my opinion because you get annoyed when i present before you my opinion? Don't you realize that your argument is as fucking absurd and annoying as well?

lol. i never asked you to change your opinion.

"i haven't run to the fact that a scientist was an atheist to validate my beliefs, or lack of rather. i'm asking whether you understand WHY these scientists were theists!"

well you were the one who brought up pascal and some other guy and their mathematical theory or whatever to disprove the claims of the scientists (I mentioned) that god exists.

jesus, learn to read. blaise pascal was actually a theist who presented an argument for the existence of God. however, this argument totally fails as it has a fundamental assumption and no christian philosopher or theologian would accept his argument as true today. i was trying to show that despite the fact that he was a great mathematician AND a christian, that doesn't mean they're necessarily right with regards to God.

way to miss the point.

I don't know why they were deists. But if they were deists, they believed in God.

so what? does that make you right?

"he wasn't religious. he believed in the God of Spinoza, who was a panentheist. he basically believed that the universe encompassed God and that God also transcended this universe. "

First of all what do you mean by "religious"? So I believe in God. Does that make me religious or non-religious? He believed in the god of spinoza. So he WAS a deist, not atheist.  He believed in panentheism. okay. and panentheism's god was who? You just said it: Spinoza. He didn't believe men came out of Ape's ass.

uh, spinoza pre-dated evolution. whether einstein believed in evolution or not is immaterial and i don't know whether he did. you're presenting a false dichotomy between believing in evolution and believing in god. many theists believe in evolution too, because it's generally regarded as scientific knowledge today.

I'm not being highly critical of anything. This conversation started when I was responding to a comment by Kimnodesia where she said that she thought she would be more closer to god if she accepted a monotheistic religion. What I was doing was pointing out to her that Christianity is indeed a monotheistic religion and not what Muslims misrepresent it to be. But then someone came out of somewhere and said that I jumped from fire into a frying pan. Then I said something in reply to that. I wasn't criticisizing anyone but merely saying that if i jumped from one frying pan into another, then those scientists who were absolutely more smarter, intelligent and educated than the poster of that comment must have also jumped into frying pans, right?

uh, not necessarily. you see, i understand WHY these scientists were theists. you've probably never read the papers of rene descartes or isaac newton on God and his existence. you probably don't know whether isaac newton presented the teleological argument(i.e. an argument from complexity) or the ontological argument(an argument that comes from the definition of God as 'the greatest being ever conceived', generally speaking). i have my own problems with their arguments, and i'm happy to discuss them if you actually had knowledge of them.

and you know what? i respect the fact that they were theists and had rational(or rather, attempted to have) evidence that alluded to the existence of God. you probably don't.

Reply #1071 - December 14, 2010, 10:36 PM

BS meter

Like I said, you seriously need to work on your arguments. The old "Evolution is just a theory" one just shows that you have no idea what you're talking about. By your standards, gravity is just a theory and not a fact. So is fluid dynamics for that matter. So is just about any other field of science that has a theoretical explanation for its factual effects.

Quote from: Wiki
    Scientific theories
    Main article: Scientific theory

In scientific usage, the term "theory" is reserved for explanations of phenomena which meet basic requirements about the kinds of empirical observations made, the methods of classification used, and the consistency of the theory in its application among members of the class to which it pertains. These requirements vary across different scientific fields of knowledge, but in general theories are expected to be functional and parsimonious: i.e. a theory should be the simplest possible tool that can be used to effectively address the given class of phenomena. Such theories are constructed from elementary theorems that consist in empirical data about observable phenomena. A scientific theory is used as a plausible general principle or body of principles offered to explain a phenomenon.[6]

A scientific theory is a deductive theory, in that, its content is based on some formal system of logic and that some of its elementary theorems are taken as axioms. In a deductive theory, any sentence which is a logical consequence of one or more of the axioms is also a sentence of that theory.[5]

A major concern in construction of scientific theories is the problem of demarcation, i.e., distinguishing those ideas that are properly studied by the sciences and those that are not.

Theories are intended to be an accurate, predictive description of the natural world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory

As for atheists trying to prove god doesn't exist by writing a couple of equations: have you ever heard about not being able to prove a negative?

Reply #1072 - December 14, 2010, 10:43 PM

technically that's not exactly right osmanthus. we prove negatives all the time, such as with the statement 'there are no married bachelors'. the idea with god however is that there is a fluidity in their definition of god, so everytime a logical contradiction is arrived to, the theist just changes the definition of said attributes.

'tis why i'm personally agnostic. i cba to deal with theists changing the goalposts all the time, my problem lies in god's transcendence. we cannot ever make a knowledge claim on anything defined to be transcendent(well, any existence claim on any entity with the property of transcendence) because it is out of anything we can ever experience or conceive. so the statements 'god probably exists' or 'god probably doesn't exist' become meaningless. this gets a bit messier when you take the approach of those like thomas aquinas and state 'god is not a being' but i don't think armanduk understands enough about philosophy to go near such arguments, instead wallowing in his ignorance.
     Reply #1073 - December 14, 2010, 10:55 PM

Well, yes. I was being a bit lazy. Wink

Reply #1074 - December 14, 2010, 10:58 PM

BS meter

Like I said, you seriously need to work on your arguments. The old "Evolution is just a theory" one just shows that you have no idea what you're talking about. By your standards, gravity is just a theory and not a fact. So is fluid dynamics for that matter. So is just about any other field of science that has a theoretical explanation for its factual effects.

I bet you some of the Muslims who keep saying "Evolution is just a theory" or "The Darwinist theory is flawed" are the same Muslims who keep flaunting miracle claims about the Big Bang theory in the Qur'an.

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #1075 - December 14, 2010, 11:04 PM

Islam is just a theory. So is Christianity.  bunny

Reply #1076 - December 14, 2010, 11:13 PM

I bet you some of the Muslims who keep saying "Evolution is just a theory" or "The Darwinist theory is flawed" are the same Muslims who keep flaunting miracle claims about the Big Bang theory in the Qur'an.

Cheesy Are you really only 16?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #1077 - December 14, 2010, 11:20 PM

Very funny video. I laughed. A bearded half-naked man walking down the street singing a song and then getting hit by a bus. Has nothing to do with Jesus of Nazareth. Try again please Tongue

i was just being silly, please ignore me  Tongue

''we are morally and philisophically in the best position to win the league'' - Arsene Wenger
     Reply #1078 - December 14, 2010, 11:21 PM

i was just being silly, please ignore me  Tongue

Who said that?
     Reply #1079 - December 15, 2010, 12:24 AM

Long live the DUCK! Armanduck is the muthafuckin necropostin, buttsex-havin, Quran-destroyin, Bible-thumpin MAN!

fuck you
  • Previous page 1 ... 34 35 3637 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »