Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Poll

• Question: Medically unnecessary, non-consensual circumcisions should be banned. Do you agree?
  • Yes. - 64 (79%)
  • No. - 17 (21%)
  • Total Voters: 80

Topic: Medically unnecessary, non-consensual circumcisions should be banned.

(Read 59756 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Medically unnecessary, non-consensual circumcisions should be banned.
     Reply #210 - March 06, 2013, 09:13 AM

The only widespread form of male ritual genital mutilation is circumcision (removal of the foreskin), which is not analogous to 3 out of the 4 forms of FGM. In fact, the least severe form of FGM (removal of the clitoral hood) is analogous to circumcision.

Do you think the least severe form should be banned?

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #211 - March 06, 2013, 09:36 AM

^ It is already banned and I don't see a reason for taking a step backwards and decriminalizing it.
     Reply #212 - March 06, 2013, 12:32 PM

We don’t include stuff like subincision because where the frak does that happen and how often does it happen? All 4 types of FGM happen in Africa, Europe, Asia, North America, Australia and the Middle East; FGM (in all its forms) is usually performed on underage girls with razor blades, bits of glass, knives, etc in an unsanitary environment. This thread is about circumcision and not subincision because the latter is extremely rare and virtually non-existent in Western countries (adults choosing to have it done notwithstanding) hence irrelevant to Western legislators. The only widespread form of male ritual genital mutilation is circumcision (removal of the foreskin), which is not analogous to 3 out of the 4 forms of FGM. In fact, the least severe form of FGM (removal of the clitoral hood) is analogous to circumcision.

Do you really think that legal female circumcision would be done with razor blades and bits of glass in an unsanitary environment? You can't really get more underage than babies either.

I doubt legal female circumcision is going to include that whole stitching the labia together shit (not that the concept is really any nicer than cutting off foreskin anyway).
     Reply #213 - March 06, 2013, 12:54 PM

^ It is already banned and I don't see a reason for taking a step backwards and decriminalizing it.

I mean, do you think a ban on the least severe form is deserved?

Too fucking busy, and vice versa.
     Reply #214 - March 06, 2013, 05:14 PM

I'll just point out (again) that while the procedures themselves may not be equivalent, they ARE equivalent insofar as they are human rights violations.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
    - 32nd United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt
     Reply #215 - March 06, 2013, 11:13 PM

I agree with Luthiel.
     Reply #216 - March 07, 2013, 02:59 AM

And the reason why girls have been taken abroad and cut is because they can be. Because authorities are too morally craven to enforce existing laws, to push for convictions, to install simple methods of detection, routine check ups and focussed education in problem demographics, and so on. It's not the simplest thing in the world. It's certainly harder than making excuses and doing nothing. It would require action effort and funding. But it's not rocket surgery either. It's completely doable.

Only just seen this. Have been saying the same thing for years, though less cogently of course.

Positive discrimination. Bring it on.
     Reply #217 - March 07, 2013, 06:29 AM

Damn, y'all really got a mind to discuss Male circumcision and FGM.I can't bear reading some of your posts without saying "Ouch" while I grab my crotch.

"I'm standing here like an asshole holding my Charles Dickens"

"No theory,No ready made system,no book that has ever been written to save the world. i cleave to no system.."-Bakunin
     Reply #218 - March 07, 2013, 10:31 PM

^

I know right. I mean I thought that on an ex muslim forum at least people would support putting an end to this practice.

In my opinion a life without curiosity is not a life worth living
     Reply #219 - March 07, 2013, 10:42 PM

The problem though is that it might not be easy to just put an end to it. If it was banned but then people started doing it illegally in similar numbers, it becomes an even worse problem because now it's not as safe.

It's the same as things like drugs in this regard.
     Reply #220 - March 07, 2013, 10:54 PM

No it's NOT the same thing as drugs. 

Drug user choose to take the drugs themselves and its not forced upon them.

Besides the failure of the war on drugs is explained by economics of supply and demand. I won't go off onto a tangent about that here because it's an unrelated topic.

You can't possibly compare that to parents chopping off skin of a newborn baby.

Circumcision of babies and minors who are unable to consent is a violation of human rights and must be outlawed.

A person doing weed and a person selling the weed to him do not violate human rights. It is a transaction between two consenting individuals.

Reply #221 - March 08, 2013, 12:40 PM

We're not gonna eradicate Judaism and Christianity in a day guys. Slow the fuck down.

I'm talking about Judaism as a dogma, btw to make things clear.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
     Reply #222 - March 08, 2013, 02:14 PM

Most Jews tend to keep themselves and dont tend to bother people.  Circumcision is the only major problem with it but aside from that eradicating it is not high on my priority list.

And aside from the rightwingers in the u.s. Christianity is dying out.  Most christians have the same values and priorities as us humanists.

Islam is the only religion thats a major problem right now.

Reply #223 - March 09, 2013, 11:36 PM

No it's NOT the same thing as drugs. 

It's the same as things like drugs in this regard.

Of course I wouldn't mind seeing it gone though. Problem is that religion and human rights usually don't compute well :S
     Reply #224 - January 11, 2015, 01:14 AM

Ritual circumcision linked to increased risk of autism in young boys

January 9, 2015 | by Editor

- See more at: http://www.neuroscientistnews.com/research-news/ritual-circumcision-linked-increased-risk-autism-young-boys#sthash.CJHTiUbg.dpuf

Research published January 8 by the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine suggests that circumcised boys are more likely than intact boys to develop autism spectrum disorder (ASD) before the age of 10. Risk is particularly high for infantile autism before the age of five. The research was carried out in Denmark among a cohort of all children born between 1994 and 2003. During the study over 340,000 boys were followed up to the age of nine between 1994 and 2013 and almost 5,000 cases of ASD were diagnosed. The study showed that regardless of cultural background circumcised boys may run a greater risk of developing ASD. The researchers also made an unexpected observation of an increased risk of hyperactivity disorder among circumcised boys in non-Muslim families.

Professor Morten Frisch of the Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, who led the research, said: "Our investigation was prompted by the combination of recent animal findings linking a single painful injury to lifelong deficits in stress response and a study showing a strong, positive correlation between a country's neonatal male circumcision rate and its prevalence of ASD in boys."

Today it is considered unacceptable practice to circumcise boys without proper pain relief but none of the most common interventions used to reduce circumcision pain completely eliminates it and some boys will endure strongly painful circumcisions. The researchers say that the pain associated with circumcision in very young babies is likely to be more severe during the operation and post-operatively.

Painful experiences in neonates have been shown in animal and human studies to be associated with long-term alterations in pain perception, a characteristic often encountered among children with ASD.

"Possible mechanisms linking early life pain and stress to an increased risk of neurodevelopmental, behavioural or psychological problems in later life remain incompletely conceptualised," said Professor Frisch. "Given the widespread practice of non-therapeutic circumcision in infancy and childhood around the world, our findings should prompt other researchers to examine the possibility that circumcision trauma in infancy or early childhood might carry an increased risk of serious neurodevelopmental and psychological consequences." - See more at: http://www.neuroscientistnews.com/research-news/ritual-circumcision-linked-increased-risk-autism-young-boys#sthash.CJHTiUbg.dpuf

Reply #225 - January 11, 2015, 02:13 AM

Lilyesque: Very interesting study. My little brother was born and circumcised in the time the study was being conducted in Denmark, and he did develop some kind of autism.

You are the Universe, Expressing itself as a Human for a little while- Eckhart Tolle
     Reply #226 - January 11, 2015, 06:58 AM

For some reason every kid in Denmark seems to get diagnosed with ADHD or some kind of autism these days wacko

Nonetheless interesting and obviously controversial OMG WAR ON ISLAM/MUSLIMS.

Ishtar90 you could start posting this article to every Danish Muslim male on Facebook who writes something stupid adding something like "I might not agree on what you are saying, but I understand why you are saying it" Cheesy

Sorry to hear about your little brother though. I hope he and your family are coping far away hug

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
     Reply #227 - January 11, 2015, 05:12 PM

Yeah they tested my brother around a million times to find a diagnosis that would fit him. He's a happy sweet boy and my family has learned how to cope with the whole thing, thank you  Smiley

Hahahaha, like "it's not your fault, poor thing I understand what you go through"  Cheesy
    Apparently even Danish media picked up on it

http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/samfund/2015-01-09-bombe-under-dansk-praksis-omskaering-kan-foere-til-autisme

You are the Universe, Expressing itself as a Human for a little while- Eckhart Tolle
     Reply #228 - January 11, 2015, 05:16 PM

Speaking of circumcision, I fear for the day I become a parent and my family starts talking about what date the circumcision would be. Is there any way I can islamically argue that it's not obligatory? I argued my way out of not having to wear the headscarf, hopefully I can do the same thing to my son.

Reply #229 - January 11, 2015, 05:20 PM

Speaking of circumcision, I fear for the day I become a parent and my family starts talking about what date the circumcision would be. Is there any way I can islamically argue that it's not obligatory? I argued my way out of not having to wear the headscarf, hopefully I can do the same thing to my son.

Let me just find that for you...
     Reply #230 - January 11, 2015, 05:26 PM

Here are some links for you

https://www.facebook.com/muslimsagainstcirc

http://www.circumstitions.com/Islam.html

http://www.quranicpath.com/misconceptions/circumcision.html
     Reply #231 - January 11, 2015, 05:27 PM

Ishtar, just try out your best Reza Aslan impression & argue in this manner:

http://therealsingapore.com/content/young-singaporean-muslim-i-am-now-against-circumcision

My mind runs, I can never catch it even if I get a head start.
     Reply #232 - January 11, 2015, 05:33 PM

Thank you guys, it will be a few more years hopefully before I get children, but better start reading up now  thnkyu

Reply #233 - January 11, 2015, 05:47 PM

it will be a few more years hopefully before I get children

Cool, where will you be buying them from?

Reply #234 - January 11, 2015, 05:55 PM

This is the part where I get confused and wonder whether or not you can say "get children" like that in English  Cheesy because I tend to translate things directly from Danish to English  Cheesy

Reply #235 - January 11, 2015, 06:00 PM

I was just messing around.

Though I'd suggest that you use "have children" instead as it may save you some hassle in the long run.

Ishtar: "I want to go and get some children."
    *Policemen tackle her to the ground*

Reply #236 - January 11, 2015, 06:03 PM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Reply #237 - January 11, 2015, 06:04 PM

And here I thought my English was good.  Tongue

Reply #238 - January 11, 2015, 06:05 PM

Your English is perfectly fine, I'm a native speaker and I still make mistakes.

Some hold the misconception that being "fluent" means that you can't make mistakes.

• Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8« Previous thread | Next thread »