Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Gaza assault
Yesterday at 03:37 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 03:04 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
May 17, 2024, 08:33 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
May 17, 2024, 06:13 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
May 16, 2024, 02:05 PM

New Britain
May 08, 2024, 07:28 AM

General chat & discussion...
May 08, 2024, 07:16 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
May 07, 2024, 04:01 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Muslim student, 18, banned from college because she refuses to remove her burkha

(Read 17956 times)
  • 12 3 ... 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Muslim student, 18, banned from college because she refuses to remove her burkha
     OP - October 24, 2009, 08:03 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1222511/Muslim-student-18-banned-college-refuses-remove-burka.html

A Muslim student has been banned from enrolling at a college because she refused to remove her burkha.
    Shawana Bilqes, 18, wanted to wear the garment  -  which covers her body and face, leaving only her eyes visible  -  during lessons.
    But staff at Burnley College refused to enrol her, claiming the burkha was a barrier to 'safety and communication'.
    In a strongly worded statement, the college said 'unimpeded' face to face contact between teachers and students was vital.
    Miss Bilqes, who wanted to study an access course for a diploma, has now been forced to abandon her plans and is looking elsewhere to complete her studies.

Yesterday she said: 'It is my choice to wear the veil.

'I live around the corner from the college in an area where there are so many practising Muslims.
    'I tried to compromise but they wouldn't. The college sent me a letter to say I could continue with my course if I stopped wearing the veil.
    'We are in the 21st century and we get people from all walks of life. I'm in the police cadets as well and yet it's not a problem wearing the veil there.'
    John Smith, principal of the college, in Burnley, defended the actions of his staff.
    He said that a student's face must be fully visible to maintain high standards of teaching between staff and pupils, adding that it was crucial to wear photo ID around the campus for security reasons.

'We do require all students of Burnley College to have their faces visible when at the college,' he said.
    'We are determined to maintain the highest standards of teaching and learning. To do this effectively requires unimpeded communication from the teacher to all students, from the students to the teacher and between student and student.
    'It is not possible to maintain this essential full communication if the face of any student is not fully visible.

'We are also determined to provide a safe environment for all our students. Central to this is that all members of the college community should be identifiable at all times.

'To this end we require students and staff to wear a security card which displays their photograph.
    'Where individuals decline to comply, then I am afraid we cannot accommodate them.'
    Controversy over the burkha was highlighted by Justice Secretary Jack Straw in 2006, when he suggested that Muslim women should abandon wearing it because it was a 'visible statement of separation and difference'.
    Mr Straw, then the Leader of the House of Commons, faced criticism from Muslim groups after disclosing that he asked women to remove their veils at meetings in his constituency office in Blackburn.

In March 2005, Shabina Begum, 16, controversially won the right to wear head-to-toe Islamic dress in the classroom
    She argued that Denbigh High School in Luton breached her human rights by sending her home when she arrived wearing a burkha.
    After a case costing taxpayers ?70,000, three Appeal Court judges ruled the teenager's school had acted unlawfully.
    Earlier this year French President Nicolas Sarkozy spoke out, claiming the burkha reduced women to servitude and undermined their dignity.
    'It will not be welcome on the territory of the French republic,' he said. Islamic headscarves have been banned in French state schools since 2004.

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
  • Re: Muslim student, 18, banned from college because she refuses to remove her burkha
     Reply #1 - October 24, 2009, 08:28 AM

Note on above - Shabina Begum didn't wear burqa.  She wanted to wear jilbaab, the long dress.

[this space for rent]
  • Re: Muslim student, 18, banned from college because she refuses to remove her burkha
     Reply #2 - October 24, 2009, 09:04 AM

Ah, it was more complex than what this article made it appear:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabina_Begum

Do not look directly at the operational end of the device.
     Reply #3 - October 24, 2009, 09:52 AM

Ah, it was more complex than what this article made it appear:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabina_Begum

Issues are more complex than the Daily Mails reporting of them  ? How dare you !!!
    Now, where did I put that Defamation lawyers phone number???

According to the polls only 1.6 % of Americans are athiests. So what gives you the right to call the other 80% morons?'
     Reply #4 - October 24, 2009, 11:00 AM

I had no sympathy for Shabana and I certainly do not have any sympathy for this latest Muslim student wanting everyone to make concessions for her and her beliefs. I was a Muslim when Shabana's case came to court, and even though I thought wearing the Jilbab was like wearing a long dress, I believed she was wrong to demand her school let her wear it because it was against uniform policy. A lot of Islamic scholars also came out and said the Jilbab was not compulsory.

This woman may regard it to be her 'choice' to wear the Niqab but school rules have to be applied on a universal level and they are there for a reason. I could walk into class tomorrow and declare that I believe it to be my 'right' to wear no clothes at all for I regard wearing of clothes to be restricting my identity. It would be ridiculous to allow such a concession to be made. As this college evidently has a certain rule which does not make her happy she should go somewhere else that will be more accomodating.

This reminds me of the case regarding a Muslim nursery school teacher who was suspended because she wanted to wear the Niqab during class. How can you teach and converse effectively when the most important part of your body showing expression is hidden?
     Reply #5 - October 24, 2009, 11:57 AM

I find it interesting and disturbing that many of these cases, excluding Shabana Begum who lives in Bedforshire occur in the North.

Why do you think this is?  Thinking hard

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
  • Re: Muslim student, 18, banned from college because she refuses to remove her bu
     Reply #6 - October 24, 2009, 01:23 PM

It's because the UK govt has encouraged that strange double standard that whilst it's citizens are in other parts of the world, we are told to dress accordingly, at the same time, we should bend over backwards to accomodate all foreign traditions , style of clothing, etc, here You can see why a lot of people are starting to get very pissed off.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #7 - October 24, 2009, 07:17 PM

Send her to Australia and we'll happily accommodate her right to swim in a bikini. In fact, send all the bikini-clad French and Italian girls you can find.  dance

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #8 - October 24, 2009, 09:02 PM

What's up with these girls obsessed over Burka. It is FORBIDDEN in Islam to wear it in Hajj(Unless for a very good reason), or so I have been told. Now to think of it, the most holy place for Muslims does not welcome Burka, why the fuck should a COLLEGE in a FOREIGN NON-MUSLIM COUNTRY welcome it???

"In every time and culture there are pressures to conform to the prevailing prejudices. But there are also, in every place and epoch, those who value the truth; who record the evidence faithfully. Future generations are in their debt." -Carl Sagan

Reply #9 - October 24, 2009, 09:45 PM

Eh? Why cant women wear burkha during hajj?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #10 - October 24, 2009, 09:49 PM

Something about them not having to worry about non-Mahram men because they are all supposed to be united in the worship of G-d not lusting after each other.  Well, that is what I was taught. It's supposed to sound 'oh, gosh! hajj brings about an amazing state of purity!'
     Reply #11 - October 24, 2009, 09:55 PM

I saw the stand up comedian Shazia Mirza telling a funny story in her act once about how a man pinched her bottom whilst she was in Mecca on her hajj, and she said, with complete deadpan face, 'it was the hand of god'

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #12 - October 24, 2009, 10:12 PM

The title of the article is wrong. She has neither been banned from the college or from enrolling at the college. Rather, her enrolment has been refused on the grounds of wearing a face-covering. However, the word 'banned' is more attention-grabbing.

In the case of secondary education, I think there should be no more confusion. Either religious dress and symbols are banned, or they allowed. It needs to be a simple universal policy.

In the case of this college, however, it is simply a case of discrimination. "Communication and safety" is a rubbish excuse.

"...every imperfection in man is a bond with heaven..." - Karl Marx
     Reply #13 - October 24, 2009, 10:16 PM

Religion should be come with a statutory 'For indoor use only' sign

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #14 - October 24, 2009, 10:23 PM

In the case of secondary education, I think there should be no more confusion. Either religious dress and symbols are banned, or they allowed. It needs to be a simple universal policy.

In the case of this college, however, it is simply a case of discrimination. "Communication and safety" is a rubbish excuse.

College and secondary school is not vastly different. Teachers are still responsible for student learning and safety. College is still very much a structured learning environment.
     Reply #15 - October 24, 2009, 10:29 PM

The difference is that secondary schools require uniforms.

Her clothing is not a safety issue, nor is it a barrier to receiving education. Unless there is a public ban on face-covering then I don't think there's an argument and colleges mustn't be allowed to discriminate on such grounds.

Reply #16 - October 24, 2009, 10:40 PM

The school obviously thing it is a 'barrier to receiving education', and I would concur. Facial expressions are very important when conversing in a setting where will no doubt be required to participate in discussions. It is like talking to someone who has their back to you. If the teachers didn't have an objection then this wouldn't have even been an issue.
     Reply #17 - October 24, 2009, 11:06 PM

It doesn't matter what they think. Just because they say it's an issue doesn't necessarily mean it actually is, unless you trust what all institutions say at all times.

Verbal communication is all that's necessary.

• Re: Muslim student, 18, banned from college because she refuses to remove her bu
     Reply #18 - October 25, 2009, 04:00 AM

Stooping to the prohibitive levels of Islamic countries is not the solution. Britain/ the West prides itself on expression of freedoms, within certain parameters. It sets an example for the rest of the world. Banning because a primitive society bans is a retrograde step.

What gets me about women like this is that they want to show adherence to Islam to the tee. But are hypocrites as they ignore the fact that if they really want to be the perfect Quranic woman they also need to:
    - stay at home going out only in emergencies, and with a mahram
    - must not be well-informed nor must she be communicative even with her neighbours
    - she must not speak to strangers even if in need
    - her sole worry should be her "al bud" (reproductive organs), her home as well as her prayers
    - she should be clean and ready to satisfy her husband's sexual needs at any moment.

Knowing Islam is the only true religion we do not allow propagation of any other religion. How can we allow building of churches and temples when their religion is wrong? Thus we will not allow such wrong things in our countries. - Zakir Naik
     Reply #19 - October 25, 2009, 10:27 AM

It doesn't matter what they think. Just because they say it's an issue doesn't necessarily mean it actually is, unless you trust what all institutions say at all times.

Verbal communication is all that's necessary.

I think the veiling of the face does create a problem that a simple head scarf does not.

You could function as a society if everyone wore a hat or head covering.

How could society function if everyones face was veiled? It couldn't.

How can the human social contract function if you cannot see the face of the person with whom you are interacting? It is the most basic hardwired, biological neccesity, to be able to see their face, recognise them, respond to them. It cuts to the core of who we are as human beings. The burqa actually negates our most basic, hard wired human impulse of recognition and empathy.

When the case of the Hizb ut Tahrir supporting woman in Dewsbury who was working as a primary school teacher was going on a couple of years ago, it was the parents of the children, many of them Muslim, who objected to her wearing the burqa. It is actually an affront to your humanity be in a situation in which you cannot see the face of the person you are interacting with, whilst they can see your face.

No matter how you cut it, for our society, the wearing of the burqa repudiates our basic human social biological contract - it does present issues that the simple wearing of the hijab does not.

God is Love.

Reply #20 - October 25, 2009, 11:00 PM

I think the veiling of the face does create a problem that a simple head scarf does not.

You could function as a society if everyone wore a hat or head covering.

How could society function if everyones face was veiled? It couldn't.

How can the human social contract function if you cannot see the face of the person with whom you are interacting? It is the most basic hardwired, biological neccesity, to be able to see their face, recognise them, respond to them. It cuts to the core of who we are as human beings. The burqa actually negates our most basic, hard wired human impulse of recognition and empathy.

When the case of the Hizb ut Tahrir supporting woman in Dewsbury who was working as a primary school teacher was going on a couple of years ago, it was the parents of the children, many of them Muslim, who objected to her wearing the burqa. It is actually an affront to your humanity be in a situation in which you cannot see the face of the person you are interacting with, whilst they can see your face.

No matter how you cut it, for our society, the wearing of the burqa repudiates our basic human social biological contract - it does present issues that the simple wearing of the hijab does not.

Social biological contract? There is no such thing. Social contract is nothing natural or biological. It is a political idea. And it functions, for example, without me knowing or recognising nearly all members of the society I live in. It is part of increasingly-mediated mass-societies. I can't see your face right now - it doesn't matter.

'Negates the hard-wired impulse for recognition and empathy'? Recognition hasn't been a problem so far. Besides other identifiable characteristics, she will no doubt have provided necessary forms of identification to enrol. I'd also like to think that the ability to empathise is a bit more hard-wired than to be negated by lack of face-to-face contact - otherwise it is meaningless. But this is about education, anyway.

As long as she can pass her a-levels there isn't a problem and I can see no legitimate grounds for discrimination.

Reply #21 - October 25, 2009, 11:45 PM

Social biological contract? There is no such thing. Social contract is nothing natural or biological. It is a political idea. And it functions, for example, without me knowing or recognising nearly all members of the society I live in. It is part of increasingly-mediated mass-societies. I can't see your face right now - it doesn't matter.

You can't see my face right now because its the internet. The form of the technology means you don't need to see my face. The comparison is meaningless.

In the real world, how could society function if nobody could see each others face? It simply couldn't. We are social beings. We are not 'political constructs'. We need human interaction. So to say there is no such thing as the social biological contract, is nonsense. We are humans because we interact, recognise and react and empathise with other humans, and we do this through facial contact and recognition.

It is for these reasons that the burqa and face veil presents problems for society in a way that the hijab does not.

God is Love.

Reply #22 - October 26, 2009, 01:13 AM

You can't see my face right now because its the internet. The form of the technology means you don't need to see my face. The comparison is meaningless.

It's not a meaningless comparison as it proves that seeing someone's face is not essential to communicate with them. All the technology does it transmit hypertext. There are other examples such as letter-writing, or a telephone conversation - the medium of communication is incidental to the point.

In the real world, how could society function if nobody could see each others face? It simply couldn't.

That isn't the topic.

If you think that is a reason to ban it altogether - ok. But 1) only a small number of people wear face-covering 2) it isn't banned.

We are social beings. We are not 'political constructs'. We need human interaction.

A straw-man.

Followed by a non-sequitur:

So to say there is no such thing as the social biological contract, is nonsense.

Explain what it is, then, since you have apparently coined this new phrase. The term 'social contract' has specific meaning(s). 'Social biological contract' has no meaning in any kind of discourse, as far as I'm aware.

We are humans because we interact, recognise and react and empathise with other humans

Both circular and false - a winning combination!  Cool

Even if I considered that a sufficient and unproblematic definition of what humans are, face-covering does not prevent any of those things.

, and we do this through facial contact and recognition.

No, we have many other ways. You might want to think about that one...

That said, burqa or niqab etc. allow for eye contact, and therefore facial contact and recognition.

It is for these reasons that the burqa and face veil presents problems for society in a way that the hijab does not.

The subject of the thread concerns a specific instance in which an otherwise capable student has been rejected from a college on account of wearing face-covering. Face-covering is obviously not, in general, a barrier to receiving education, therefore there's no legitimate grounds for such discrimination - unless it were to be banned [in public] altogether, which is a different argument.

Reply #23 - October 26, 2009, 04:37 AM

Face covering impairs proper identification, and being identified should be a necessary condition to undertake tests (oral or written).
    Imagine a class undertaking a written test: how can the teacher be sure that the students with a covered face are really who they claim they are? By voice alone? What if it's winter and half of them have a cold?

That applies also to the internet, phone, or emails.
    No functional school could assign you grades if you submitted your work by email or by simply making a phone call to the examining teacher.

Maybe they could allow them to keep their face covered if they enforced some other virtually infallible method of identification like fingerprint scanning.

Reply #24 - October 26, 2009, 11:11 AM

It's not a meaningless comparison as it proves that seeing someone's face is not essential to communicate with them. All the technology does it transmit hypertext. There are other examples such as letter-writing, or a telephone conversation - the medium of communication is incidental to the point.

- The comparison is irrelevant and meaningless, because in the social context we need facial recognition in order to fully relate to and bond with other individuals. This is why school teachers are not allowed to wear veils over their face.

That isn't the topic.

- It very much is the topic. It is right at the heart of the topic. Just because it is an awkward question to answer, does not mean you should try to swat it away as irrelevant. It is at the heart of the matter. In the real world (not the world of message boards and e-mail), how could society function if nobody could see each others face?

A straw-man.

- No. Once again, you are wrong. It is at the heart of the subject as to why face veiling is deeply problematic both for society, and for us as humans. We are social beings. We are not 'political constructs'. We need human interaction. This is the heart of the matter, the very heart of the matter of burqa and niqab and why face veiling is so troubling for us collectively and individually.

Followed by a non-sequitur:
    Explain what it is, then, since you have apparently coined this new phrase. The term 'social contract' has specific meaning(s). 'Social biological contract' has no meaning in any kind of discourse, as far as I'm aware.

- I?ve spent the last few posts explaining exactly what it is, and I live in hope that you cotton on to it, but I'll expedite it again. We are biologically programmed to be social animals, and the most basic function of the social instinct is recognition, empathy and responsiveness. All of these most basic human instincts require a simple thing, that you can see the face of the person with whom you interact. It is part of the unspoken social contract. You do not cover your face because it inhibits this basic biological instinct for human facial recognition.

Both circular and false - a winning combination!  

- Actually, I was just trying to explain it to you in the simplest terms

Even if I considered that a sufficient and unproblematic definition of what humans are, face-covering does not prevent any of those things.

- It does inhibit the simplest human responsiveness needed to have social relations; face to face contact. Tell me again, how could society function if everybodys face was veiled. Imagine you went to see your doctor and you could not see his face, went to college and could not see the face of your fellow students, called the plumber to your home and his face was masked. It quite literally goes against our most basic need for facial recognition, to read the human code of a face, empathy, emotion and human bonding.

No, we have many other ways. You might want to think about that one...

- See above.

The subject of the thread concerns a specific instance in which an otherwise capable student has been rejected from a college on account of wearing face-covering. Face-covering is obviously not, in general, a barrier to receiving education, therefore there's no legitimate grounds for such discrimination - unless it were to be banned [in public] altogether, which is a different argument.

- The subject of the thread is rooted in the issues as to why as a society and as an individual the facial veil is disconcerting, disruptive of the most basic human impulses, and troubling to the most fundamental of social contracts that binds our society together. In the context of this, I was outlining some of the reasons why the face veil (imagine a society in which you can see no woman or mans face) presents problems that a hijab does not.

God is Love.

Reply #25 - October 26, 2009, 03:08 PM

- The comparison is irrelevant and meaningless, because in the social context we need facial recognition in order to fully relate to and bond with other individuals. This is why school teachers are not allowed to wear veils over their face.

Again, it is not irrelevant because you haven't negated it. Any form of communication takes place in a social context. Education does not require facial recognition. Long distance education works in this way. There are also other reasons, such as disability, for lack of facial communication. That doesn't mean education is denied to those people.

- It very much is the topic. It is right at the heart of the topic. Just because it is an awkward question to answer, does not mean you should try to swat it away as irrelevant. It is at the heart of the matter. In the real world (not the world of message boards and e-mail), how could society function if nobody could see each others face?

If this topic was about whether face-covering should be allowed in public at all that would be valid.

But I am not talking about that.

- No. Once again, you are wrong. It is at the heart of the subject as to why face veiling is deeply problematic both for society, and for us as humans. We are social beings. We are not 'political constructs'. We need human interaction. This is the heart of the matter, the very heart of the matter of burqa and niqab and why face veiling is so troubling for us collectively and individually.

It is a straw man because I did -not- claim any such things like we are just 'political constructs' - but that the idea of a social contract is a political idea which you are using incorrectly, in the process misrepresenting my argument - as I have by no means denied we are social beings (something of which I think you have a limited understanding).

You are confusing two concepts (really two separate arguments).

You might find it troubling. But, for all intents and purposes, that is your problem. Women who wear face-covering -are- able to interact and bond with others, and society does function with a number of women covering their faces, whether or not you, or I, like the practise.

- I?ve spent the last few posts explaining exactly what it is, and I live in hope that you cotton on to it, but I'll expedite it again. We are biologically programmed to be social animals, and the most basic function of the social instinct is recognition, empathy and responsiveness.

You have not explained it at all. Again, you are confusing two different ideas:

1) The social contract

2) Biological nature

All of these most basic human instincts require a simple thing, that you can see the face of the person with whom you interact. It is part of the unspoken social contract.

The most basic human instincts do not require face-to-face communication (indeed they wouldn't be instincts). Tell that to a blind person.

- Actually, I was just trying to explain it to you in the simplest terms

As if you have anything to explain to me.

If you are trying to account for a 'biological social contract(TM)', you have to tell me what it means (if it means anything). You haven't done so. I suspect that's because you don't know what it means yourself, let alone what it's got to do with my approach to the regulation of clothing in public life.

- It does inhibit the simplest human responsiveness needed to have social relations; face to face contact.

Face to face contact may be important, but it is not necessary for most social relations to take place. Otherwise mass society would be impossible, and we wouldn't have things like social contracts.

Tell me again, how could society function if everybodys face was veiled.

Perhaps it couldn't. But this is not is what I am talking about and isn't a refutation of my very particular argument, which has escaped you all along.

It quite literally goes against our most basic need for facial recognition, to read the human code of a face, empathy, emotion and human bonding.

It doesn't literally go against those things, if by which you mean prevent them.

- The subject of the thread is rooted in the issues as to why as a society and as an individual the facial veil is disconcerting, disruptive of the most basic human impulses, and troubling to the most fundamental of social contracts that binds our society together. In the context of this, I was outlining some of the reasons why the face veil (imagine a society in which you can see no woman or mans face) presents problems that a hijab does not.

You have made (some) points which are relevant to the subject in general but not to my own arguments, the substantial content of which you have dodged completely, or simply not understood.

Reply #26 - October 26, 2009, 03:16 PM

Face covering impairs proper identification, and being identified should be a necessary condition to undertake tests (oral or written).
    Imagine a class undertaking a written test: how can the teacher be sure that the students with a covered face are really who they claim they are? By voice alone? What if it's winter and half of them have a cold?

That applies also to the internet, phone, or emails.
    No functional school could assign you grades if you submitted your work by email or by simply making a phone call to the examining teacher.

Maybe they could allow them to keep their face covered if they enforced some other virtually infallible method of identification like fingerprint scanning.

Currently it is the Joint Council for Qualifications who decide what conditions are necessary for examinations.

Reply #27 - October 26, 2009, 03:21 PM

What I find ironic about these cases is that if the repressive brand of islam signified by the burqa ever came to power these girls probably wouldn't get to go to school at all .
     Reply #28 - October 26, 2009, 03:23 PM

Currently it is the Joint Council for Qualifications who decide what conditions are necessary for examinations.

I should add: currently it is not surely up to us to decide anything about it at all.
    Point being? ^_^

Worthless post Tongue

Reply #29 - October 26, 2009, 03:28 PM

I should add: currently it is not surely up to us to decide anything about it at all.
    Point being? ^_^

Worthless post Tongue

Nevermind...

Yes, that is a possible issue.

• 12 3 ... 5 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »