Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Yesterday at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Just taking sometime to say "Hi"

(Read 12280 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Just taking sometime to say "Hi"
     OP - September 30, 2009, 05:07 AM

Hi. I am Lynna.
    I've put up a couple posts here and have been wandering around reading for awhile. I'm a little slow as regards computer forums and things like that. That's why it took me a few times to realize that there was a place to introduce myself.
    I've mostly spent some time at IOL's forum. A nice little comfort zone. About a week or so ago BOB (who is banned from that place) sent me a private message about this and that. Then suggested I check out this site. Told me BMZ comes by here now and then and you all give him a run for it. I'm sure BOB is sitting back someplace watching and hoping for a few good laughs by sending me here.
    I'm not a Muslim and have never been one. I did however lived in Indonesia as a child and attended as Islamic high school in same country. Some highlights of that adventure I suppose would be that the Islam teacher would have liked to have done me in for being left handed. The priest who took care of the church next door to the school was always calling curses down on me for not being able to speak Dutch. I think no amount of evidence would have convinced him that I was not Dutch. Other then those two things it was just high school and life. The best part of having lived in an Islamic culture was the Indonesian family that we (my sisters & I) stayed at when my Mom and Stepfather were off on business trips. Cool family, stable, kind and organized. The worst part of living there as a teenager is that I had no idea about social life when I returned to USofA to attend college. The most frequent question people ask me about having lived in an Islamic area is if I felt stiffled or restricted. I actually never give a real answer to that question, I just laugh and ask if it seems like I was ever been restricted or stiffled.
    Most of my grandparent immegrated to the USofA from Europe as children with there parents who were looking for a better place for Jews to live unmolested. My Mom's Dad is my only grandparent that I ever knew very well. I never asked him about religion because I was way to young to understand that there were different religions when he died. However, if I was to guess what religion he was, from what I remember I would say he was a Secular Humanist. My parents never practised Judaism. They were more like Christians. Well, actually I wasn't very old when I realized they weren't much like Christians. My Mom didn't and still does have a very good understanding of the Bible. My Dad knows more about what the Bible says, he just doesn't believe it.
    I am actual very religious. About 25 years ago I became a Jehovah's Witness. The first thing that I found acceptable in that religion is that I was shown from the Bible that there is not burning hell. Logic had already proved a burning hell and a loving and just God could not co-exist. It is my opinion that the teaching of a burning hell is among the formost things that turn people away from God.
    Until next time.
    Lynna

If at first you succeed...try something harder.

Failing isn't falling down. Failing is not getting back up again.
  • Re: Just taking sometime to say "Hi"
     Reply #1 - September 30, 2009, 05:41 AM

Welcome. Interesting story. Smiley

What is IOL? and BOB?

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #2 - September 30, 2009, 05:44 AM

Nice to have you here.

It would be interesting to find out how you interpret the verses from the bible that speak about hell.

Knowing Islam is the only true religion we do not allow propagation of any other religion. How can we allow building of churches and temples when their religion is wrong? Thus we will not allow such wrong things in our countries. - Zakir Naik
     Reply #3 - September 30, 2009, 07:14 AM

Welcome Lynna

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #4 - September 30, 2009, 07:30 AM

Hi Lynna,

Why did your friend think you would like this place do you reckon?

What on Earth posessed you to become a Jehova's witness?

Ha Ha.
     Reply #5 - September 30, 2009, 03:29 PM

Welcome Lynna,

I really don't understand why you feel happy that eternal hell fire for unbelievers isn't a part of the teachings of the Witnesses, because there are plenty of other absurd and barbaric stories in the Bible. Stories where God acts like a maniac completely devoid of justice and mercy, and he actually kills disproportionately more people than Satan himself. Jehovah is a god who accepted the burnt sacrifice of a girl by a righteous man called Jephthah. Did they tell you this? Did you read it? If not, what else do you not know about your wonderful Lord?

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #6 - September 30, 2009, 06:06 PM

Hello Lynna, Jehovah's witness? why do we need scripture? what is so useful to us about scripture that we need to forgo happiness from our lives for the sake of people who died Thousands of years ago.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #7 - September 30, 2009, 06:43 PM

Welcome Lynna.   Smiley

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #8 - September 30, 2009, 09:03 PM

Just curious - what happens to non-believers in armageddon? And do you believe that you will have pet panda bears and things like this in the new system?

[this space for rent]
     Reply #9 - October 02, 2009, 10:59 PM

Welcome... Smiley

"I'm Agnostic about God."

Richard Dawkins
    ==
    "If there is a God, it has to be a man; no woman could or would ever fuck things up like this."
     George Carlin == "...The so-called moderates are actually the public relations arm of Al-Qaeda and the Islamic Republic of Iran."  Maryam Namazie
     Reply #10 - October 03, 2009, 07:20 AM

Anyway Lynna, we must do this again sometime soon. whistling2

Ha Ha.
     Reply #11 - October 04, 2009, 05:09 AM

Hi Awais,
    IOL is Islamonline.net. Interesting place right now their Forum is at a low ebb for inteligent posts.
    BOB that's a little more difficult to explan.

Reply #12 - October 04, 2009, 05:15 AM

Hi a.ghazali,
    I also think it would be interesting to discuss believes about hell. Any scriptures you have in mind? I like to start with Ecc. 9:5. Or Jehovah's instructions to Adam in the garden of Eden.

Reply #13 - October 04, 2009, 05:34 AM

Hi Baal,
    What makes you think I'm forgoing any happiness in my life?

Hello Lynna, Jehovah's witness? why do we need scripture? what is so useful to us about scripture that we need to forgo happiness from our lives for the sake of people who died Thousands of years ago.

Reply #14 - October 04, 2009, 05:44 AM

Hi Awais,
    IOL is Islamonline.net. Interesting place right now their Forum is at a low ebb for inteligent posts.
    BOB that's a little more difficult to explan.

Thanks for answering. I guessed it was Islamonline, wasn't sure tho. Didn't know they had a forum, will have to check it out.

I chose to get circumcised at 17, don't tell me I never believed.
     Reply #15 - October 04, 2009, 05:50 AM

Hi Jack Torrance,

Hi Lynna,

Why did your friend think you would like this place do you reckon?

What on Earth posessed you to become a Jehova's witness?

I'm not yet sure why BOB thought I might like this place. He mentioned a thing or two about logic and reason and that very few at IOL paid much attention to logic and reason. Then gave me a link to this sight. What do you think is there much logic and reason here?

What posessed me to become a Jehovah's Witness? Wow, that's a long account. I suppose that it will all come out overtime.

Anyway Lynna, we must do this again sometime soon. :whistling:

Is the little whistling guy because you seem to think you have been waiting a long time for me get back to you? I'm so sorry if I have kept you waiting but I don't have a computer at home. So I have to use the cyber cafe after work. But if there is a subject that interest me, you can be sure I'm trying to get back as soon as possible.

Got any good subjects?

Reply #16 - October 04, 2009, 06:33 AM

Hi Manat,

Just curious - what happens to non-believers in armageddon? And do you believe that you will have pet panda bears and things like this in the new system?

I suppose it will depend on why the person would still be a non-believer when Armageddon starts. By that time there will be more evidence about what the situation is i.e. the sign will be more obvious. If the person has never had the chance to review and understand God's offer then God can show that person mercy and they will be in the resurrection of the unrightious. If the person is not interested or does not want to believe the situation is as God presented it then they don't want to be in paradise anyhow and they will return to the dust i.e. they will just be gone.

Pet panda? Perhaps. The situation will be like in the garden of Eden where the animals were not afraid of humans and humans did not have to be afraid of the animals. (It wasn't until after the flood of Noahs day that there became a division by fear between the animals and humans) So the possibility of having a panda, or other animal now considered to be wild, live near you so that you could touch it and interact with it and enjoy watching it's activity seems likely. However it exactly works out is not in current scriptures, it will likely be in the "new scrolls".  There are all kinds of possible ways that humans and animals could enjoy interacting, it is fun imagening. However to become dogmatic that you would be able to have this or that animal as a pet could a problem.

It seems like you have given some thought to the subjects of Armageddon and the Paradise. What do you think about it?

Reply #17 - October 04, 2009, 06:36 AM

Hi Islame,
    I really enjoyed reading your "why I left islam" letter. Did you really give it to your relative? How did they react?

Reply #18 - October 04, 2009, 06:41 AM

Hi Aziz,
    Have you read the account of Jeptha's daughter? It might be an interesting thing to do, then you'd know that there was no fire involved in that sacrific.

Reply #19 - October 04, 2009, 07:21 AM

I'm sorry to say it Lynna, but this will end in tears. I don't suppose you could have a word with the two JW's that keep ringing on my doorbell every saturday morning, forcing me to hide and pretend no one's in?

Ha Ha.
     Reply #20 - October 04, 2009, 07:53 AM

Hi a.ghazali,
    I also think it would be interesting to discuss believes about hell. Any scriptures you have in mind? I like to start with Ecc. 9:5. Or Jehovah's instructions to Adam in the garden of Eden.

Lynna whenever you discuss hell from the bible you seem to only concentrate on the Old Testament (OT).

Of course using the OT you can easily disprove the existence of Hell because the OT is essentially the laws of Judaism. And it is a fact that Judaism had no concept of a physical eternal hell with everlasting torture. This concept only came about with the emergence of Jesus and his rather sadistic concept of burning people forever if they did not accept his teachings.

So as a Christian you have to look at what Jesus said on the matter which is a subject he seemed to speak more about than any other. Here are some verses that  clearly shows that Jesus (and those documenting his mission) preached of a physical place of eternal damnation where you will be cast into if you do not accept him as your saviour.

Matt 5:22 But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.

Matt 13:42: And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Matt 7:19-20 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Matt 13:40 As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age.

Matt 18:8 If your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire.

Matt 25:41: Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire

Matt 25:46: And these shall go away into everlasting punishment

Mark 9:43-48: And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched. Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire ... and the fire is not quenched.

Luke 16:22-24: . . . the rich man also died, and was buried; And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments... And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

Jude 1:6-7 He hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day. Sodom and Gomorrha, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Revelation 20:13-15: ...hell delivered up the dead which were in them...And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Revelation 21:8: But the fearful, and unbelieving ... shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone.

Revelation 14:10: ...and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb (Jesus).

Knowing Islam is the only true religion we do not allow propagation of any other religion. How can we allow building of churches and temples when their religion is wrong? Thus we will not allow such wrong things in our countries. - Zakir Naik
     Reply #21 - October 04, 2009, 09:32 AM

Hi Islame,
    I really enjoyed reading your "why I left islam" letter. Did you really give it to your relative? How did they react?

They never bothered to respond  Cheesy

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #22 - October 04, 2009, 11:55 AM

Hi Lynna,

Welcome to the forum.

I would like to ask you something very basic, if I may.

How would you differentiate JW and Islam?

Cheers
     Reply #23 - October 04, 2009, 02:17 PM

Hi Aziz,
    Have you read the account of Jeptha's daughter? It might be an interesting thing to do, then you'd know that there was no fire involved in that sacrific.

There's an account of his daughter? Where? As far as I know this story only appears in Judges chapter 11.

Quote from: Judges 11
    30 And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD : "If you give the Ammonites into my hands, 31 whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the LORD's, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering."

I don't know if by "account" you mean this, but the only thing the daughter ever says is this:

36 "My father," she replied, "you have given your word to the LORD. Do to me just as you promised, now that the LORD has avenged you of your enemies, the Ammonites. 37 But grant me this one request," she said. "Give me two months to roam the hills and weep with my friends, because I will never marry."

39 After the two months, she returned to her father and he did to her as he had vowed. And she was a virgin.

You can clearly see that fire was, in fact, involved in the sacrifice. There is nothing that would suggest that Jephthah didn't sacrifice his daughter as a burnt offering, because that's what he had vowed to do. For goodness sake, a human sacrifice had been made and the "loving Lord" approved of this! How can you even begin to justify this? You will certainly have a hard time to give a reasonable answer to this, without just capitulating and saying that it was the Lord's will and that we can't judge him.

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #24 - October 05, 2009, 05:26 PM

Hi Jack,

Tears? Who's tears?

Being there are like 7 million of us world wide and I don't know where you live it is highly unlikely that I could easily shift through my friends to see if I know the two that have been knocking on your door every Saturday morning. Every Saturday morning? Wow! Sounds like they need more territory. Hey, next time you see them don't hide answer the door and ask them if they have ever considered working unassigned territory or under worked territory. If they haven't. Encourage them to consider it. Like where I live there are about 70 of us to cover just under 3000 square miles, we'd enjoy having thier help. If they think that they really can't move, ask them where it is and you move there yourself.

No, really all joking aside. If you are sure that you are not interested in what they have to say. Next time they come, don't hide answer the door, try to be at least a little polite and ask to be be put on the "do not call list". The reason I added try to be a little polite is because you don't want to scare them so much that they forget to put you on the don't call list. That has happened to me before. There really are do not call lists. If by chance the two Witnesses that have been calling on you are poor record keepers, you can call your local Kingdom Hall and ask to be put on the do not call list.

Need any other advise?

Until next time Lynna

Reply #25 - October 05, 2009, 05:47 PM

Thanks Lynna, a very informative and useful piece of advice, I will be sure to invite them in next time for a cup of special tea.

That's great about not having to go to hell. Does anyone go to hell? And in Hell, are there any talking slugs and mosqitoes? Or do they go to Heaven? Just wondered. Thanks again. Afro

Ha Ha.
     Reply #26 - October 05, 2009, 07:03 PM

Hi Kafir Supersta,

Hi Lynna,

Welcome to the forum.

I would like to ask you something very basic, if I may.

How would you differentiate JW and Islam?

Cheers

Let me see how many things I can think of that are different.

1)It seems to me that Islam is all about an appearance. Things that can be seen, like clothes or hijab or beard or to be seen praying five times a day or must do Hajj.
    -For Jehovah's Witnesses it is more about attitude and trying to have a right motive for actions and not drawing attention to yourself.

2)Islam seems to really be into punishment and hell fire.
    -For Jehovah's Witnesses it is more about trying to get it right and helping others get it right. No punishment and hell fire. Just discipline and redirection. Those who die having rejected God just return to the dust, they are just gone.

3)Islam seems to leave understanding and reasoning and ability to explain to the scholar.
    -Jehovah's Witnesses very much want each believer to be able to explain and reason on what they believe.

4)In Islam you can be born into that religion.
    -Jehovah's Witnesses must deside to be dedicated and baptised. Even if the parents are Witnesses the childern are not until they deside to be and have enough understanding to know what it means.

5)Islam is involved in poltics and seems to see better conditions on the earth by means of human government with Islamic Law.
    -Jevovah's Witnesses are not involved in the poltics of mankind and believe better conditions on earth will be brought about by a Heavenly government.

6)In Islam people may become soldiers and go to war.
    -Jehovah's Witnesses must not become soldiers and must not take part in war.

7)Islam teaches that people are prefect right now. (so, why don't they act perfect)
    -Jehovah's Witnesses believe that people where created perfect but have inherited sin. (that's why people die)

8)In Islam divorce has all kinds of loopholes. (i think loopholes is the right word)
    -For Jehovah's Witnesses there is very clear counsel on divorce.

9)Islam teaches perdestination.
    -Jehovah's Witnesses teach freewill.

I took a pause in writing all things that are different because I had finished most of the things I could think of quickly off the top of my head that were easy to state. Then I thought was I really being asked "Why is one more acceptible to me then the other?"

Well, in that case it is sort of the same thing. The religion that Jehovah's Witnesses teach is logical and reasonable. It can actual be explained by the scriptures it enspouses. For example Jesus said that his disciples would be known by the love they had among themself. By not taking part in war, thereby not killing ones among the same religion or any one else for that matter, we show love. We believe in a meriful and loving God. This is supported by scripture (1 John 4:7-13)and by the fact we don't support the teaching of a burning hell of ever lasting torment or war. By looking forward to and supporting God's Heavenly Kingdom we show that we really do believe that God has the right to direct his creation.

I'm out of time right now. but perhaps if you'd like we can continue this at another time.

Until next time. Lynna

Reply #27 - October 05, 2009, 07:40 PM

Hi Jack,

Hell is one of those problem ideas when it comes to what some people think the Bible says. The Hebrew word translated in many Bibles as hell is She'ol. She'ol accually means grave. Actually in old English "helling''meant to bury or plant. So in a manner of speaking ever one who dies goes to hell. Even if I should die I would go to hell i.e. the grave. Jesus even went to hell for three days. The thing is hell is just a grave where our dead body is put, while a person is dead they have no feelings or thoughts. So hell is not a place of torment in fire that we have to fear, it is just the grave.

Talking slugs and mosquitoes? This is a first, no one has ever asked me about talking slugs and mosquitoes before. I would think it would have to be a very shallow grave for any kind of mosquitoes or slugs to be there. But let's just say it is for the sake of conversation. Okay some slugs and mosquitoes get in. Are they talking? I suppose they are talking to each other, mosquitoes to mosquitoes and slugs to slugs. Does the dead body hear them? Of course not the dead are not aware of things.

Slugs and mosquitoes in Heaven? I don't think so slugs and mosquitoes were made for the earth. Will slugs and mosquitoes be in paradise? Yes, because the creation is perfect just some things are out of wack right now because of mankind mistreating the earth. I do occationally wonder what ticks and fleas will do in paradise. Now I'll add mosquitoes to the list.

Until next time. Lynna

Reply #28 - October 05, 2009, 11:39 PM

Peace Lynna,

Lovely to meet you. As a Jehovah's witness, I'm quite eager to find out what your views are of some bits of Torah: see my question here:
      http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=7001.0
    (The last time I spoke to one of your lot about God was when I was 8 years old -- when I had a good JW friend who kept going on about Him!)

Love and Light,

The Tailor

The Divisions of Love, second album by my Cabbalacore band, the Friends of Design, out now:

https://vimeo.com/110528857
     Reply #29 - October 06, 2009, 08:43 PM

Hi Baal,
    What makes you think I'm forgoing any happiness in my life?

forgoing 'any' happiness? no, you are not forgoing 'any' happiness. Nice try though and don't do it again.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »