Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hi there

(Read 3523 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Hi there
     OP - September 16, 2009, 05:18 PM

I am a 20 year old university student currently studying in London. My parents are strictly muslim which has caused and is continuing to cause problems. I can't keep ties with people who are so insistent on attempting to push their way of life onto my own. However I cannot continue my studies without their financial aid. I've just finished my second year of university and have to continue lying to them for the next two years. I could get a job during term time but it would be detrimental to my studies. I have worked during the summer, but the money made just isn't enough. The loans provided to me barely cover my accomadation fees. Once I have graduated I plan to cut all ties and move away from them.
    I just don't know what I can do in the mean time. The arguments are getting more and more heated. I just don't know if I can take another two years. If only religion wasn't such a pain.
  • Re: Hi there
     Reply #1 - September 16, 2009, 05:22 PM

Welcome Smudge.   Smiley

Yes, religion is indeed a total pain.  Especially when people think they can shove it down your throat.  However, I think in your situation I would just keep my head down and not bother rowing, just bide your time.   parrot

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #2 - September 16, 2009, 05:25 PM

I'm sorry to hear that smudge far away hug You need to hold your ground for the next two years no matter how hard it is, it will be worth it in the end Smiley How often do you need to see your parents?
     Reply #3 - September 16, 2009, 05:36 PM

Welcome Smudge.   Smiley

Yes, religion is indeed a total pain.  Especially when people think they can shove it down your throat.  However, I think in your situation I would just keep my head down and not bother rowing, just bide your time.   parrot

Thing is I can't keep my head down any longer. I've kepy my head down since I was 12 and just gave up at 16. I just can't go to mosques, fast and attend religios events anymore. It's killing me inside.  Cry

I'm sorry to hear that smudge far away hug You need to hold your ground for the next two years no matter how hard it is, it will be worth it in the end Smiley How often do you need to see your parents?

Well during holiday times only. I try to find accomadation for about 37/38 weeks of the year when I am at university. When I move back with my parents they provide with free accommodation, which I need if I am to survive univeristy without breaking the bank.

It will be worth it of course. As soon as I am financially secure I can be free.
     Reply #4 - September 16, 2009, 06:07 PM

Hi Smudge and welcome - its not just the fault of the religion, as there are those who have a very modern interpretation of Islam and it causes little hindrance at all.  I am an ex-muslim but if you find it draws you comfort and helps you then stick with it and let it work for you with your discussions with your parents.  

In any case let us know what brought you here, how you came across the site, and where you currently stand with Islam?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #5 - September 16, 2009, 06:14 PM

I am a 20 year old university student currently studying in London. My parents are strictly muslim which has caused and is continuing to cause problems. I can't keep ties with people who are so insistent on attempting to push their way of life onto my own. However I cannot continue my studies without their financial aid. I've just finished my second year of university and have to continue lying to them for the next two years. I could get a job during term time but it would be detrimental to my studies. I have worked during the summer, but the money made just isn't enough. The loans provided to me barely cover my accomadation fees. Once I have graduated I plan to cut all ties and move away from them.
    I just don't know what I can do in the mean time. The arguments are getting more and more heated. I just don't know if I can take another two years. If only religion wasn't such a pain.

Welcome, Smudge - my advice is don't be confrontational. Try to show love and respect to your parents - finish your studies - then do what you want.

Smiley
     Reply #6 - September 16, 2009, 06:38 PM

There are quite a few of us on this site in your situation smudge. I'm in uni too and have to pretend to my parents that I'm a muslim for the time being. I'll be doing my last year now, gunna wait for a few months before I tell them I'm moving out for good and that I'm an apostate.

Just hang in there. It's tough but it will be worth it! yes far away hug
     Reply #7 - September 16, 2009, 06:52 PM

Hey Mate, you're not alone. I'm another in the same situation too, in fact I was forced just this evening to go to the Mosque since my mum phone up my aunt. I decided she will get crazy for a week, so I went.

My advice is to respect your parent's faith, try not to be confrontational, just hang in there. Make yourself busy, stay out of the house as much as possible, say you're at the library. Don't let it risk your studies.

Unless it's violently threatening, stay home and get through it mate. Sucks, but hey, there are still many people who'd love to be in your position with your life ahead after uni. Btw, welcome!! Smiley
     Reply #8 - September 16, 2009, 08:12 PM

Good advice there, HighOctane.  Afro  And welcome to the forum Smudge.  Smiley

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #9 - September 16, 2009, 10:54 PM

Thanks. Hope it can help Smudge. Good to have PeruvianSkies here for an additional perspective too. Afro
     Reply #10 - September 17, 2009, 05:15 AM

There was a poem a while ago, posted by Peru I think, which stated that "your children is not your property, but have a free will of their own" A wonderful thing which I however never bookmarked :-(

If anybody can point to it, it might be a good thing to print out and put on the wall for your parent's consideration.

I bet one can also find some pretty calligraphic writings of it.
     Reply #11 - September 17, 2009, 05:23 AM

That was posted by Allat and was a poem by Kahlil Gibram. I'll dig it up for you.

ETA: Found it. http://www.councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=3776.msg164511#msg164511

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #12 - September 17, 2009, 05:31 AM

Much appreciated.

thnkyu
     Reply #13 - September 18, 2009, 04:37 PM

hey :]
    hang in there for now~ and just enjoy time with them
    who knows what happens when you leave them
    im like you , just hanging in there for sake of uni. though uni for me is next year. epp
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »