Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: No access from University of St. Gallen

(Read 2730 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • No access from University of St. Gallen
     OP - April 10, 2010, 01:42 AM

The forum and website are blocked from being accessible from the University of St. Gallen, but the German council is not blocked any ideas?
  • Re: No access from University of St. Gallen
     Reply #1 - April 10, 2010, 09:56 AM

Use a proxy. Alternatively, report the blocking and ask the university authorities why they are blocking sites dedicated to free speech. I'll bet it's because some Muslim students complained.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #2 - April 10, 2010, 03:39 PM

I stay at campus so today I contacted the IT technicians, I was told it would be looked into I was then informed that the website and forum are blocked due to being listed as being offensive by students of the university and thus in violation of the policy of the campus. Although the website is still available through use of a proxy server and listed proxies will not be deleted.

In the university, when anyone goes into a blocked website a program scans the downloaded page and seeks out meta and URL tags and blocks the website instantly, but at the moment I was told the website and forum will not be blocked from use through proxies. I think it is done to keep everyone happy I suppose. It would have been unfair if we could not use the forum even though a proxy since most of use stay at the university campus and use the free wireless service provided.

Reply #3 - April 10, 2010, 03:46 PM

Extraordinary. Switzerland has banned minarets and CEMB. Not to worry, Australia will soon ban everything except Play School. The terrorists aren't the only ones who "hate our freedom".

The language of the mob was only the language of public opinion cleansed of hypocrisy and restraint - Hannah Arendt.
     Reply #4 - April 10, 2010, 03:55 PM

Switzerland has banned minarets and CEMB.

A uni has banned CEMB Wink

You could try complaining Jamie, explain to them that banning this website is an infringement on free speech. This site isn't a hate site, it is a refuge for those who wish to discard their religion freely and face abuse due to these actions. The uni is only encouraging this attitude of penalising apostates for making a choice they should be entitled to, not only that but they are participating in removing the few outlets they have to discuss such issues. Hopefully they will listen, if you can find other atheists to join you in complaining then do so. The more the merrier.

Out of curiosity, is the Faith Freedom website banned too?
     Reply #5 - April 10, 2010, 04:13 PM

You could try complaining Jamie, explain to them that banning this website is an infringement on free speech. This site isn't a hate site, it is a refuge for those who wish to discard their religion freely and face abuse due to these actions. The uni is only encouraging this attitude of penalising apostates for making a choice they should be entitled to, not only that but they are participating in removing the few outlets they have to discuss such issues. Hopefully they will listen, if you can find other atheists to join you in complaining then do so. The more the merrier.

Good suggestion.

Jamie, is there a secular students alliance or some such group on your campus? You may want to get a few students, perhaps a faculty member who is sympathetic to atheism/secularism, to write to the Uni's administration as a group.

By speaking up, you could be helping others who are questioning their religious traditions too.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #6 - April 10, 2010, 04:18 PM

We will not be given access the issue is deeper then a simple block some campus members were visiting Islamic websites and those were blocked even through the use of a proxy. Since I have found out what has being going on I think the university has made the most reasonable decision, and has lent backward to provide some accesses to secular sites which were also blocked after campus members (Including Christians) complaint about them. We can still access sites through a proxy the Muslims campus members can't even do that, I think it was a little unfair for some Muslims. At the moment everyone is happy to a Muslims can go on a small amount of Islamic websites and we can go on most of our secular websites. I have been told my some friends not to make an issue of this since the university could just decide to block all websites which are seen as offensive.        
     Reply #7 - April 10, 2010, 04:28 PM

We had an issue sometime back with the Muslim female students wanting to use the student union room on Fridays as a female only prayer room. Majority of the students opposed this (including the part time Muslims who like to drink on a Friday and shoot some pool) It ended up into a heated debate and the university decided to close the union room for everyone, until the issue was resolved. It was a policy of; everyone play nice or no one can play. Eventually, we came to an agreement to allow the Muslim women the students union room from 9am till 2:30pm. Everyone manged to get along. I have only recently moved into lodging at the campus so non of these issues effected me and I am new so I can't just go running around complaining as I might end up making the situation worse.   
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »