Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 07:11 PM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Today at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Anyone using IE8?

(Read 10874 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Anyone using IE8?
     OP - September 16, 2009, 06:29 AM

I've added some code to our templates which should stop the jumpy/scrolling reply boxes when using IE8.
    Let me know if it is working for you.  Afro

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
  • Re: Anyone using IE8?
     Reply #1 - September 26, 2009, 11:33 PM

works for me Afro

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #2 - December 03, 2009, 08:09 PM

For the last few hours getting an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" for COEM, yet it is working fine with firefox (what I am using to post this)

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #3 - December 03, 2009, 08:12 PM

Hmm. I don't have 8 installed at the moment but it works on 7. Not sure what is going on. There haven't been any code changes in the last 24 hours.

Reply #4 - December 03, 2009, 08:16 PM

Just tried it again on IE8 and its still not working, but all other websites are working on it are fine?  Is anyone logged into this site currently using IE8?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #5 - December 03, 2009, 08:18 PM

Does it say anything else apart from can't display the page?

Reply #6 - December 03, 2009, 08:43 PM

Not really - here is the full script

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

What you can try:
        Diagnose Connection Problems 

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

?Internet connectivity has been lost.
    ?The website is temporarily unavailable.
    ?The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    ?The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
    ?There might be a typing error in the address.
    ?If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
    To view subscribed feeds

1.Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

1.Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
    2.Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #7 - December 03, 2009, 09:08 PM

I can see I'll have to install the bloody thing. Damn.  Roll Eyes

Reply #8 - December 04, 2009, 09:55 AM

its working today with IE8 - do you know what was wrong?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #9 - December 04, 2009, 10:02 AM

No idea. Haven't changed anything. Huh?

Reply #10 - February 15, 2010, 01:50 PM

It seems there is a bug

Os - Talking about bugs, and one you recognise in IE8 is the extrememly annoying cursor with a mind of its own in the reply box (when quoting posts).

Is there any workaround or add-on that you can think of that would help (other than changing my internet browser to FF each time..).  At the moment I am having to cut  large or quoted posts into notepad, and then paste them back into the reply box when I am done..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #11 - February 15, 2010, 02:12 PM

Is there any workaround or add-on that you can think of that would help (other than changing my internet browser to FF each time..).

Why are you using Microsoft's insufferable browser at all? It's graphical interface may be simple and appealing, but under the hood it's still a pile of steaming shit, and that's why it's the most hated browser among web developers. You could say it's the Islam in the computer world. Yeah, it's that bad.

So why use it? Are there any features in it that you can't find in FF, Opera or even Chrome?

German ex-Muslim forumMy YouTubeList of Ex-Muslims
    Wikis: en de fr ar tr
    CEMB-Chat
    I'm on an indefinite break...
     Reply #12 - February 15, 2010, 02:40 PM

there are lots of small benefits that I dont want to detail here, the only disadvantage I notice for my use is this particular problem with COEM posts

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #13 - February 15, 2010, 04:46 PM

there are lots of small benefits that I dont want to detail here, the only disadvantage I notice for my use is this particular problem with COEM posts

Hm, why not? I really can't think of much that would make IE8 the preferred choice in the browser world. I'm really interested to know. Why don't you want to tell us? Lazy? Smiley

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #14 - February 15, 2010, 05:23 PM

Each reason is so minute, its embarrassing to list as a reason.  But when put together they become far more beneficial than anything extra FF has to offer..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #15 - February 15, 2010, 06:00 PM

Each reason is so minute, its embarrassing to list as a reason.  But when put together they become far more beneficial than anything extra FF has to offer..

I know what you mean, but I don't think it's embarrassing. The little things can be a big deal. I'm a long-time Opera user, and it has a lot of those good little things, which used to be unique to it (like tabs or session recovery), but the current browsers have caught up and offer many of the same features.

Opera has many nice features integrated into it from the start without being bloated, like mouse gestures, double clicking text shows a context menu, being able to go to an address by selecting a text link, searching for text by hitting "." first, a mail reader, an RSS feeds manager and a lot more. I don't have to find extensions for these. Well, the only disadvantage I see in Opera is that it has no extensions system. That's why I also like to use Firefox, because of its excellent web developer extension called Firebug.

Come on now, tell me what you like about IE8 so much and cannot find the equivalent in Firefox or Opera. Smiley

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #16 - February 15, 2010, 06:56 PM

Come on now, tell me what you like about IE8 so much and cannot find the equivalent in Firefox or Opera. Smiley

OK, but firstly let me point out that I tried FF and didnt think it had anything extra special to offer.  In such cases, I normally stick to the status quo, the tried & tested and one that I most comforable with.  I used to do that, but found I was forever upgrading and getting used to something new and wasting time, for perhaps a small inconsequential feature (commonly happens when we start reaching a plateau and a products approaches maturity) .  Think we are already there with browsers compared to what was happening over the post 20 years.

Its also a bit difficult to explain this one, and slight security issue so was hoping to avoid it - but since you really want to know here goes:

One thing that is probably inconsequential to anyone else but saves me a lot of time for my work is the ability to cut & paste text out of my favourites menu.  I use the favourites menu like a shortcut f keys used to be used, where you can assign it to print of any command/line of text. 

For my work I have to visit lots of websites with different usernames and passwords regularly that I would otherwise have to note elsewhere/remember and retype.  Sometimes they are government dept websites where they are more than 10 character long, a mixture of upper & lower case letters. 

In IE all I need to do is select this favourite to go to the website, and then right click on it, click copy, and then paste this password & username where its needed

I also have my four different email addresses saved as favourities, otherwise I would be forever e repeatedly retyping these too. (as you can probably tell one of my greatest bugbears is inefficiency)

I like to keep things consistent on all the household computers (we have 3), so I would have to change them all, and we would all need to get used to them all (including the kids), then why change? 

Also, as I am not a techy, I dont know if something is different about FF that would bother me at a later date, but am not aware of yet also.

Finally I prefer the interface of IE, its more userfriendly, and as its still the most popular engine and as I am not involved in I.T., I find I can often find support really easily when running a search on google, often for some of my more obscure or niggly problems..

So I guess I'll have to put up with this anoying COEM problem as a trade-off for the above.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #17 - February 15, 2010, 08:40 PM

OK, but firstly let me point out that I tried FF and didnt think it had anything extra special to offer.  In such cases, I normally stick to the status quo, the tried & tested and one that I most comforable with.

You wouldn't say that about religion though, or any other traditions and views you inherit from your parents. So why say it about a company's software which is infamous for stifling the progress of web standards and web applications? Internet Explorer's dominance has been screwing the web and the life of developers real hard for a long time. In recent years we've seen improvements, but only thanks to the competing browsers. Google even decided to make its own (based on the WebKit rendering engine), because they thought that the mainstream browsers are too slow at executing JavaScript.

I used to do that, but found I was forever upgrading and getting used to something new and wasting time, for perhaps a small inconsequential feature (commonly happens when we start reaching a plateau and a products approaches maturity) .  Think we are already there with browsers compared to what was happening over the post 20 years.

Most browsers may be mature but there is still room for improvement and innovation. I don't think you know what you're missing out on, because you probably don't even use IE with any useful extensions. For example, there's no better and more efficient way to navigate sites than using mouse gestures. And in Opera going back and forward in history is lightning-fast. On Google you don't have to search for the "Next" link, you can just do the "forward gesture" and the next results page will load.

Its also a bit difficult to explain this one, and slight security issue so was hoping to avoid it - but since you really want to know here goes:

That is a truly terrible way to manage your passwords. Even if you don't want to switch browsers I would recommend to you to look for an IE extension that can manage passwords for you with a master password.

With Opera you don't have to worry about this at all. It can save login credentials for any site, you just have to push the "Magic Wand" button to automatically let it fill in the login form. It's also possible to set a master password to protect these credentials. You can choose to have it ask for it every time you want to automatically login into a site. For additional security you can have it delete your cookies whenever you exit the browser, which can be done for all sites or only for specific sites.

You're not saving time at all with the attitude you have toward software. Quite the contrary, you're wasting it! You should explore more, mate. Wink

CEMB-Chat
     Reply #18 - February 15, 2010, 08:55 PM

Os - Talking about bugs, and one you recognise in IE8 is the extrememly annoying cursor with a mind of its own in the reply box (when quoting posts).

Is there any workaround or add-on that you can think of that would help (other than changing my internet browser to FF each time..).  At the moment I am having to cut  large or quoted posts into notepad, and then paste them back into the reply box when I am done..

This was fixed but the MS changed something in IE8 so apparently it's screwed again. I know it isn't just this software because a lot of sites were getting the same problem, even with different software. I'll see if I can find another bloody fix for crappy IE behaviour.

Finally I prefer the interface of IE, its more userfriendly, and as its still the most popular engine and as I am not involved in I.T., I find I can often find support really easily when running a search on google, often for some of my more obscure or niggly problems..

Can't agree with that. Firefox has by far the most customisable interface of any browser. IE doesn't even come remotely close. I've also never had to seek support for problems with it, which may or may not tell you something.

Reply #19 - February 23, 2010, 10:08 PM

IE8 doesnt seem to be working, with or without the chrome accelerator, so am temporarily using FF for this site.

Havent restarted my pc yet, as I am working on something atm.. but if you want me to then I will

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #20 - February 24, 2010, 10:00 PM

Have you tried it in Compatibility Mode with Frame disabled?

Reply #21 - February 24, 2010, 11:23 PM

ive disabled the frame.

the wierd thing is that i have got compatibility view enabled for COEM & Yahoo.  When I go to Yahoo (or any other webiste for that matter) the compatibility icon is showing near the address bar, but it does not appear in coem's case.

it looks like it is switching off compatability view when coem is running...

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #22 - February 25, 2010, 11:09 PM

Ok. A while back I added a meta tag to force IE8 to render as IE7. Basically it forces compatibility mode. That may be screwing with later versions of IE8. It was needed for the earlier versions but I don't know what Microsoft have changed. I'll get rid of the tag now and see what happens. Smiley

Reply #23 - February 25, 2010, 11:15 PM

its working  Afro

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #24 - February 25, 2010, 11:15 PM

See if it is any better now. IE8 should just do whatever IE8 does on the site's default theme (and it's variations of course).
    I haven't removed the tag from any of the other themes yet.

ETA: Cross post. Grin

So does the cursor behave in the reply box now?

Reply #25 - February 25, 2010, 11:47 PM

(thats a yes  Afro)

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #26 - February 26, 2010, 03:23 AM

Cool. I'll ditch that tag from all the templates then. Smiley

Reply #27 - February 27, 2010, 09:14 AM

Hey Islame, it turns out that IE8 doesn't have a built-in spell checker. Fancy that. Good ol' awesome IE functionality FTW.  dance

Anyway, you can get a free one here: http://www.iespell.com/

ieSpell is a free Internet Explorer browser extension that spell checks text input boxes on a webpage. It should come in particularly handy for users who do a lot of web-based text entry (e.g. web mails, forums, blogs, diaries). Even if your web application already includes spell checking functionality, you might still want to install this utility because it is definitely much faster than a server-side solution. Plus you get to store and use your personal word list across all your applications, instead of maintaining separate ones on each application.

Reply #28 - February 27, 2010, 12:09 PM

I didnt realise that FF has a built in spell checker - do most of you use it, or is it not practical?

btw thanks for the link, will give it a whirl..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #29 - February 27, 2010, 08:04 PM

I use it, although I must get around to downloading the Real EnglishTM version of FF since I just grabbed the standard download and it does Yankglish by default. Fortunately the occasional words that get me are usually spelled the same in both languages so it doesn't matter, and I just ignore the warnings on words like "organisation".

Anyway yes, it works very well. It doesn't slow the browser down at all and just gives a red underline to any words not in its dictionary. Other browsers like Opera, Safari and Chrome also have this feature. IE8 is the only one of the latest generation of browsers that lacks a built-in spell check. That's probably because IE8 isn't really one of the latest generation of browsers.  grin12

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »