Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Putting Faith in its Place

(Read 77129 times)
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Putting Faith in its Place
     Reply #60 - October 26, 2009, 11:28 AM

I think there is no way to reinterpret those verses from the Apocalypse to fit them into the philosophy that "unworthy people" simply stop existing upon death.

They clearly talk about people being punished, tormented, facing a second death... Which make sense only if you believe that "unworthy people" go on existing in the after life.

Do not look directly at the operational end of the device.
     Reply #61 - October 26, 2009, 01:12 PM

I'm glad there isn't any type of carrot or stick to dangle in front of the adherents. It's what makes it humane.

Introduce them to the big fat mustard/mayo drooling bastard named Cess. Let people know that every time they permit cheating to happen or lose patience, they will climb One step further to Success.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
     Reply #62 - October 26, 2009, 09:14 PM

So, Osmanthus, you think mine was an amazing post? How so?

I only meant it to be a mundane and to the point post. As in what good is it to say "I quoted the Bible." Then procede on without any appearent ability to explain what are the meaning of the words and history if those words and how they fit in to the entire text of the Bible. After all it is not difficult to find information about the current meaning of the word "hell" and how it differs from the the ancient Hebrew and Greek words transliterated she'ol and had'es. Nor is it difficult to find information about how the belief of a hell of torment was late fourth century corruption of what the Bible actually says.

The only thing the I think might remotely be amazing about the interaction is that after the unreasonable, uninformed, illogical response I got form Allat, he thinks he was really being informative and objective.

Until another time.

Lynna

If at first you succeed...try something harder.

Failing isn't falling down. Failing is not getting back up again.
     Reply #63 - October 27, 2009, 07:50 AM

Well , the reason I thought it was amazing is because you tend to make your points by quoting the Bible so this:

So, Allat,
    You think you made points by quoting the Bible? Interesting. Want are those points good for?
    Until another time.
    Lynna

was unintentionally hilarious on your part.   grin12

Also, you are ignoring that some parts of the Bible obviously do describe punishment after death. Whether or not you call it Hell, and regardless of etymology, the Bible is still describing punishment after death.

Oh and Allat is female. Look up the etymology of the name.  Wink

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #64 - October 27, 2009, 03:46 PM

Hi Osmanthus,

Thanks for telling me Allat is a female. I would have never thought of looking up the etymology of the name.

Well , the reason I thought it was amazing is because you tend to make your points by quoting the Bible so this:
    Quote from: Lynna on October 22, 2009, 07:16:01 PM
    So, Allat,
    You think you made points by quoting the Bible? Interesting. Want are those points good for?
    Until another time.
    Lynna
    was unintentionally hilarious on your part.

You think? Really "hilarious"? Well, I suppose I could have done worse.

It is interesting that you, as well as Allat, seem to have missed the point that I also had sources outside of the Bible to explain why the idea of a burning hell of torment is not what the Bible discribes.

Also, you are ignoring that some parts of the Bible obviously do describe punishment after death. Whether or not you call it Hell, and regardless of etymology, the Bible is still describing punishment after death.

It is not quite hilarious, perhaps mildly amusing, that you make a statement like the one quoted above.

So are you saying as long as it is a point that you want to make it is okay to ignore the evidence?

I've read several post on this forum about the closed minded thinking of religious people. No doubt there are some closed minded religious people, as well as there are some closed minded people who claim to be open minded free thinkers. I find it interesting when people claim to be enlightened by their examination of the evidence but feel no need (or have no ability) to explain thier views while at the same time pointing at others to make the claim, "Those are the ones who don't  examine the evidence".  No doubt you, I, everyone has the ability as well as the right to believe whatever we want based on the examination, or lack of examination, of any evidence we see fit to consider. I don't however think it is a humane act to keep secret information and the proofs of this information if it could actually effect the quality of another's life.

Do you think it is a statement of thought provoking objectivity to say:
    "Whether or not you call it Hell, and regardless of etymology, the Bible is still describing punishment after death."

Is it or it it not okay to ignore evidence?

Do you have any proof of your statement about hell?

Do you have any information that would rule out my information about the history of the word "hell"?

Perhaps, you want me to believe there is a burning hell of torment on your word alone?

It is my hope that you actually do engage in this conversation. I find the how and why of what people think and believe to be very interesting. And, yes I find enough value in my way of thinking that I would like to benift you with enough good information to change your way of thinking. Also I would hope that you find enough value in your way of thinking that you would like to benift me by changing my way of thinking.

Until next time.

Lynna

Reply #65 - October 27, 2009, 04:47 PM

What is the punishment then Lynna, in 'Hell'? What kind of place can a sinner like myself look forward to? No fire, check....

Ha Ha.
     Reply #66 - October 27, 2009, 05:11 PM

Jack Torrance, when you die, and if you are not in the ressurection of the righteous and the unrighteous, you are just gone. Gone. You are nothing at all except your body is dust (just the chemicals back in the environment) and your thoughts and feeling are no longer because you're gone. That's it. Just like Jehovah told Adam "From dust you were made to the dust you will return."

Why do you think there has to be a punishment?

What do you think would be a just "punishment" for not wanting to live in the Kingdom of God?

Lynna

PS A couple of Saturdays have past and still no visitors? (I'd put a smiling face here except jumpy flashy things really bother me. Not that I don't like them, it's the brain injury thing)

Reply #67 - October 28, 2009, 11:18 PM

Hi Lynna

Where do the righteous go when they are resurrected?

Where do the unrighteous go when they are resurrected?

if you are not in the ressurection of the righteous and the unrighteous, you are just gone. Gone. You are nothing at all

I don't understand. If you are not righteous and you are not unrighteous - what are you?

Jehova sounds just like Yaweh and Allah, (probably because they are just slightly different versions of the same stupid man-made myth.)

Ever thought you might be deluded, Lynna?
     Reply #68 - October 28, 2009, 11:30 PM

This is a good point. Why, if there is no punishment after death, would god be resurrecting the unrighteous? Is he going to reward them for their unrighteousness?

Reply #69 - October 29, 2009, 12:33 AM

Also, since I like the idea of stopping existing (a sort of Nirvana so to speak)... Am I actually doing the perfectly right thing by being atheist?

I really fail to see the appeal of eternal life :\
    If I picture myself living for 10^(10^(10^10)) centuries and longer, I imagine I would become insane, "trapped" in a prison with no boundaries and no chance of escape EVER :O

Do not look directly at the operational end of the device.
     Reply #70 - October 29, 2009, 08:09 AM

Hi Osmanthus,

Thanks for telling me Allat is a female. I would have never thought of looking up the etymology of the name.
    You think? Really "hilarious"? Well, I suppose I could have done worse.

It is interesting that you, as well as Allat, seem to have missed the point that I also had sources outside of the Bible to explain why the idea of a burning hell of torment is not what the Bible discribes.

It is not quite hilarious, perhaps mildly amusing, that you make a statement like the one quoted above.

So are you saying as long as it is a point that you want to make it is okay to ignore the evidence?

Nope. However I do think you are doing some judicious ignoring yourself.  Wink

Your whole argument centered around the origin of the word "hell". This is a red herring. It doesn't matter if you call it "hell" or if you call it "Uncle Wally's Bunnies and Kittens Garden Party". The name is irrelevant. What is relevant is what the bible says about it, not what you call it. Of course, concentrating on that would not help your point. I found it amusing that you had time to attempt most of the quotes Allat referenced but suddenly ran out of time when you reached Revelations. This wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that Revelations is almost impossible to interpret in a way you would like, would it? I may be cynical, but it does give that impression.

You could dispel that impression by tackling those excerpts from Revelations.

Revelation 1
    1:18  I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Revelation 6
    6:8  And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.
    6:9  And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
    6:10  And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
    6:11  And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

Revelation 20
    20:10  And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
    20:11  And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
    20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
    20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
    20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
    20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Now, notice that the lake of fire is not specifically called "hell" here. This means that sidetracks about etymology are not going to further the discussion. What you have to address is that part of the New Testament is describing punishment after death for people god does not approve of. Your argument that only dead bodies were thrown into the fire outside Jerusalem has no relevance here, because these verses are talking about people who have been deliberately resurrected to a live state by god, just so he can throw them into a lake of fire while they are still alive. Nice work, god.

Also notice that the "lake of fire and brimstone" is specifically for the purpose of having some beings "tormented day and night for ever and ever". Now, when you combine that with the other verses about "whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire", which of course is exactly the same lake as the "lake of fire and brimstone", then you have a pretty solid case for saying that the bible (New Testament, not Old) specifies an eternity of burning torment for wrongdoers.

Obviously if you don't like this conclusion you can reinterpret to your heart's content, but I think it should be fairly clear that you are motivated to do this because what the bible actually says makes you feel uncomfortable.

Reply #71 - October 29, 2009, 12:13 PM

I found it amusing that you had time to attempt most of the quotes Allat referenced but suddenly ran out of time when you reached Revelations. This wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that Revelations is almost impossible to interpret in a way you would like, would it? I may be cynical, but it does give that impression.

You could dispel that impression by tackling those excerpts from Revelations.

Well noticed  Cheesy

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #72 - October 29, 2009, 09:44 PM

Hi Hasan,

>Where do the righteous go when they are resurrected?
    Where do the unrighteous go when they are resurrected?
    Quote from: Lynna on October 27, 2009, 12:11:38 PM
    if you are not in the ressurection of the righteous and the unrighteous, you are just gone. Gone. You are nothing at all
    I don't understand. If you are not righteous and you are not unrighteous - what are you?

Both the righteous and the unrighteous are resurrected to the earth during the thousand years that Jesus wll be king. Righteous or not righteous has to do with your effort and knowledge of doing right according to the Bible. The unrighteous could be such for a varity of reasons. For example lived during a time or at a place where there was no access to the Bible. Or perhaps they were not in a position to make a discession about acting on what the Bible says. Unrighteous does not mean willfully turning your back on the information in the Bible.

>I don't understand. If you are not righteous and you are not unrighteous - what are you?

The other choice then righteous and unrighteous is willfully ignoring and turning you back God's instructions in the Bible.

>Jehova sounds just like Yaweh and Allah, (probably because they are just slightly different versions of the same stupid man-made myth.)

You think? Actually, Yaweh is a different version of Jehovah. I'm not sure if version is the right word. But anyhow the most common way to spell God's name in English is Jehovah. In other languages is is spelled differently. It is my understanding that Allah means The God. So when I read or write in Indonesian where I might use God I use Allah because that is how it is in that language. But this is not the same as the Islamic meaning of Allah.

>Ever thought you might be deluded, Lynna?

No.

until next time Lynna.

Reply #73 - October 29, 2009, 09:50 PM

How do you know you are right Lynna, and we are all wrong?  Have you you got any proof?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #74 - October 29, 2009, 10:04 PM

Hi Osmanthus.

>This is a good point. Why, if there is no punishment after death, would god be resurrecting the unrighteous? Is he going to reward them for their unrighteousness?

Likely we are thinking of a different definition unrighteous. Righteous and unrighteous has to do with a position in relationship to what is right. The rightness of something is different depending on your standard of right. In this case I am explaining things in relation to the standard of right and wrong explained by God in the Bible.
    The unrighteous are resurrected to have an opportunity that they had not had during thier life (the life before they were resurrected) to learn about God's standards and show their willingness or unwillingness to live by that standard. Anytime during the thousand years if a person becomes willingly disobeident they will die the second death from which there is no resurrection and they will be absolutely gone because they wont even be in Jehovah's memory anymore.

until next time Lynna

Reply #75 - October 29, 2009, 10:11 PM

Wont this lead to an interesting conversation.

Islame, how do you know you are right and I am wrong? Do you have any proof?

Lynna

Reply #76 - October 29, 2009, 10:13 PM

Both the righteous and the unrighteous are resurrected to the earth during the thousand years that Jesus wll be king. Righteous or not righteous has to do with your effort and knowledge of doing right according to the Bible. The unrighteous could be such for a varity of reasons. For example lived during a time or at a place where there was no access to the Bible. Or perhaps they were not in a position to make a discession about acting on what the Bible says. Unrighteous does not mean willfully turning your back on the information in the Bible.

OK but you didn't explain what will happen to the unrighteous?

The other choice then righteous and unrighteous is willfully ignoring and turning you back God's instructions in the Bible.

Who are: "the people who willfully ignore and turn their back on God" ?

Do they include people like me? (who reject all religions as man-made.)

Do they include atheists who believe God does not exist?

If it includes people like me or atheists - who do not believe in your God - then how can we be accused of willfully ignoring and turning our backs on him? (You do understand that one cannot ignore something one does not believe in - right?)

No

Then perhaps you ought to consider it. (The possibility you are deluded.)
     Reply #77 - October 29, 2009, 10:20 PM

Lynna

Good question, but do you mind answering my question  first- and then put your queries to me afterwards?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #78 - October 29, 2009, 10:24 PM

Lynna

Well, I don't know about Islame, but I ask you the same question. Me, I will happily say I have no absolute proof either way - it is the honest answer. The answer you cannot give.

Ha Ha.
     Reply #79 - October 29, 2009, 11:19 PM

>OK but you didn't explain what will happen to the unrighteous?

The unrighteous get a chance to learn about Jehovah's standards during a thousand years. While at the same time the righteous are learning more also. (also see my reply to Osmanthus)

>Who are: "the people who willfully ignore and turn their back on God" ?
    Do they include people like me? (who reject all religions as man-made.)
    Do they include atheists who believe God does not exist?
    If it includes people like me or atheists - who do not believe in your God - then how can we be accused of willfully ignoring and turning our backs on him? (You do understand that one cannot ignore something one does not believe in - right?)

Okay, what about people like you. From what I've read of your posts and your book (?) it is my thought that you believe there is a God. Right? You have just become fed up with what you have seen "religions" doing. Okay it's not hard to become fed up with many of the things that are done in the name of God and religion. Really it is not that easy to sort through all the claims of "religions". Perhaps I miss understand but I think this statement of your's "You do understand that one cannot ignore something one does not believe in"  is not right. Just believing or not believing is not alway the determiner of ignoring or not ignoring. For example I don't believe in Islam, Judaism, or Catholaism, Hinduism, or the many forms of Christendom however I have not ignored them. I know some about them all, in some cases just enough to know they don't prove to be what they claim to be and in other cases I know much more. The determiner I think is if a person in your position continue to look at the possibility that God just might be interacting with his creation.

>If it includes people like me or atheists - who do not believe in your God - then how can we be accused of willfully ignoring and turning our backs on him?

What do you know about what I believe? There has been many through out history and even in circumstances to this day, that have not had a chance to learn about what the Bible says. If they can say in all honesty that the opportunity was never given them then I suppose that Jehovah may extend them mercy and they will have another chance during the thousand years. From my point of view God is a reader of hearts. So it would be of great importance for a person to be very honest with themself as regards if they have searched for God with all effort. I wouldn't recommend ignorance as a good course of action anymore then I would recommend self righteousness.

It would have been nice to have an other hour or two to think about this post, but that I do not have.

Forgive me if I have offened.

Lynna

Reply #80 - October 29, 2009, 11:26 PM

Have you been waiting on me to reply?

I'm really out of time. I'm not at home and I don't have a computer at home so I don't have all the time I would like.

I'll make all effort to put you near the top of my "who to reply to next" list. I'll include information about the Revelation scriptures as well as why I am confident about what I believe. (or perhap as part of why)

until next time.

Lynna

Reply #81 - October 29, 2009, 11:35 PM

Peace Ms Lynna,

I, for one, am looking forward to your reply, particularly your scripture quotes (Sorry for not replying to your other post, also running short on time.)

So ... how "literal" do you take the afterlife to be?

Is it something like how we are living today (only perfect and with the Divine apparent to us)?

Or is it something more like a Buddhist kind of nirvana, quite different from how we live right now, in the sense that we become so close (or even unified) with the Divine that there is no longer a "me" or "you" -- so that all reality as we currently perceive it dissolves and there is only Truth (whatever that is)?

Or something else entirely?

Love and Light,

The Tailor

The Divisions of Love, second album by my Cabbalacore band, the Friends of Design, out now:

https://vimeo.com/110528857
     Reply #82 - November 02, 2009, 08:57 PM

Hi Islame,

Would you answer first. I really don't mind answering first however I'm in a rather rough work schedule right now. Started Sat. at 7am will end Tues 7am I'll end up having worked 44 hours. So just for the time thing why don't you start off by telling me: How do you know your right and I'm wrong?

Looking forward to an interesting reply.

Lynna

Reply #83 - November 02, 2009, 09:23 PM

How do you know your right and I'm wrong?

I dont know, as I dont believe it is possible to know - in fact i would happily go one step further and say I believe it is quite arrogant to say otherwise. I am agnostic btw.

Now its your turn..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #84 - November 05, 2009, 02:02 AM

I have some time today but not much as usual.

As a place to start, a reminder, I would first like to look at Revelation 1:1 which states the information in this book was presented [it] in signs. As regards how you feel about this matter it is up to you. However my point of view is; This book is presented in signs and for it to be of value it is important to look how these signs would be understood in the context of the entire Bible.

Revelation 1:1 A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place. And he sent forth his angel and presented [it] in signs through him to his slave John, 2 who bore witness to the word God gave and to the witness Jesus Christ gave, even to all the things he saw.

Okay. What does Revelation 1:18 talk about.

Revelation 1:18 and the living one; and I became dead, but, look! I am living forever and ever, and I have the keys of death and of Ha?des.

For this discussion the words keys of death and of Ha?des. would be the ones of concern. The translation (? version) you choose to use uses the words "the keys of hell and of death".  Actual that is of no difference taking in consideration of the information from the video that Hassan posted (as well as what I have post before) the word Ha'des is a transliteration of a Greek word that has the meaning grave. So as far as I am concerned there is no meaning of punishment and torture or fire or forever mentioned here.  In fact I would say from a Biblical point of view this scripture indicates there will be an end to death and the grave because Jesus has the keys to open them up and release the ones who have died and are in the grave.

So does Revelations 1:18 change the matter.

Revelation 6:8 And I saw, and, look! a pale horse; and the one seated upon it had the name Death. And Ha?des was closely following him. And authority was given them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with a long sword and with food shortage and with deadly plague and by the wild beasts of the earth.
    9 And when he opened the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of those slaughtered because of the word of God and because of the witness work that they used to have. 10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying: ?Until when, Sovereign Lord holy and true, are you refraining from judging and avenging our blood upon those who dwell on the earth?? 11 And a white robe was given to each of them; and they were told to rest a little while longer, until the number was filled also of their fellow slaves and their brothers who were about to be killed as they also had been.

The same information would apply to the words a pale horse; and the one seated upon it had the name Death. And Ha?des was closely following him as did to your first quote (Rev 1:18) as regards the words the words hell (grave) and death (turning bck to dust). The things that are symbolized by the ride of horseman on the pale horse are things that occur due to the unjust and selfish acts carried some groups of mankind (that however is a different discussion). I would like to point out that these verses mention a time when unjust activities against those who desire to live by God's standard will be ended (but really that is a different conversation also). None the less I see no mention of fire, torture, or punishment by a god (let alone Almighty God) in these verses.

This next one Revelation 20:10-15 is some what different then the other as it does use symbols to discribe action that God will take against the Devil, the wild beast, the false prophet and those not written in the book of life.

Revelation 20:10 And the Devil who was misleading them was hurled into the lake of fire and sulphur, where both the wild beast and the false prophet [already were]; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
    11 And I saw a great white throne and the one seated on it. From before him the earth and the heaven fled away, and no place was found for them. 12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and scrolls were opened. But another scroll was opened; it is the scroll of life. And the dead were judged out of those things written in the scrolls according to their deeds. 13 And the sea gave up those dead in it, and death and Ha?des gave up those dead in them, and they were judged individually according to their deeds. 14 And death and Ha?des were hurled into the lake of fire. This means the second death, the lake of fire. 15 Furthermore, whoever was not found written in the book of life was hurled into the lake of fire.

First of all just some information by about who/what I understand about  the players in this drama discribed in symbols.

Satan= A individual spirit creature who placed himself in oppisition to God.

the Wild Beast= Mankind's governments that do not up hold God's standards of righteous and just rule. (see the book of Daniel)

the false prophets= religions and religious teachings that have not told the truth about God and mislead and use people to their own gain.

those not written in the book of life= People who do not want to live by God's standards. These could come from a varity of groups. 1) those who live through Armageddon and into the thousand  year Kingdom of God and don't want to live their life in a way that shows they respect God's right to direct his creation. 2) those who died before Armageddon and were resurrected of the righteous and the unrighteous during the thousand year Kingdom of God and don't want to live their life in a way that shows they respect God's right to direct his creation. 3) Please allow me to preface this group with the statement: It can not be proved asolutely one way or the other from the Bible that there will be childern born during the thousand year Kingdom of God. However, should it occur these ones could by their action and way of life could end up not written in the Book of Life.

So, what is the lake of fire and what is it's purpose.

These verses start out by stating that the Devil is thrown/hurled into the lake of fire.
    From my understanding of the Bible a literal physical fire would have no effect on a spirit creature because they are not physical and are not effected the same way as physical creatures.  We can't do an experiment to prove this one way are the other, so lets look at some other things that happen at the lake of fire.
    When the Devil is thrown in the wild beast and the false prophets are already there.
    So what effect would a literal fire have on the governments of mankind. My thought is a literal fire would have little if any effect on the governments of mankind.  As evidence think of all the governments that have come and gone during human history.  I'm not very good at history but I think some governments have had their building and rule brought down by literal fires. However, I have seen no evidence of the end of government as an idea and activity of humans ever occuring by means of literal fire.
    What about the ideas and teachings of religion being destroyed by a literal fire. If that could be done it would have already been done. Even if fire destroys items used for religious purposes physical fire could not stop the idea of having some thing to worship.

So my thought is the lake of fire and sulfur is not a literal physical fire because there wont be any purpose to put the things said to be in the lake of fire because the purpose of doing so, even if it coulkd be done, is questionable.

However, going back to Revelation 1:1,2 and recalling that the book is written in symbols might show some purpose in what is said about the lake of fire.

What could the lake of fire symbolize.

If we had a big lake of literal physical fire and we put literal physical stuff in it what would happen to the stuff.

tree branch -> fire -> tree branch turns into ash and then becomes unidentifiable as a tree branch.

I'm sure beyond doubt that you could think of something that would not burn up in a fire. Then we could make the fire we are think about is as big as 5 million suns but there might be some thing that you could think of that wouldn't burn there. Personally I'm not interested in that conversation. In the context of the Bible a very intense fire is a very good symbol of total distruction. A very good symbol of just gone and disappeared.

By the way I didn't leave out imagening people in the fire by accident. For the last couple months and frequently I work on a burn unit and burned humans is the most horrible injury that I could imagen living through. If you please, do that imagening yourself if you like.

So with Revelation 20:10-15, I once again see no discription in the Bible of a place by any name where people are tortured endlessly by fire or anything else.

How about telling me why you are so determined to believe the Bible tells of God causing such an unjust punishment as burning  forever to any human.

Until another time.

Lynna

Reply #85 - November 05, 2009, 02:41 AM

Hi Islame,

I dont know, as I dont believe it is possible to know - in fact i would happily go one step further and say I believe it is quite arrogant to say otherwise. I am agnostic btw.

Now its your turn..

I'm think there might be some sort of fallacy involved in your answer but that is not really a direction I'm interested in going.

I don't think it is arrogant at all to be convenced that there are things that are absolute truth.

Now, if a person thought that the acquisition of knowledge about an absolute truth made them superior, that would be arrogant.

In brief my thought is: If a certian way of life is worth living there has to a certain amount sureness that your believes are right, good and valuable.

Do I think you are arrogant because you think being an agnostic is a better way of life?

Well, I don't nor do I think that makes a bad person. Actually I think you are very likely a very compassionate person to be concerned enough about my well being to try to direct me down a different course of life.

btw That does mean I'll change. That is not unless you have some absolute truth regarding the inability to know if there is a God or not.

btw I looked up agnostic again just to make sure my idea about the meaning of agnostic is somewhat correct.  In general I suppose it is. I was thinking an agnostic is some one who enjoys the obtaining of knowledge but does not feel that a person could obtain enough knowledge to know there is a God or not. That is close to some of the definitions I looked up.

Is that how you would discribe yourself?

Do you think it is absolutely impossible to know if there is a God?

Now, it is your turn if you please.

Lynna

Reply #86 - November 05, 2009, 02:56 AM

Hi Jack Torrance,

Well, I don't know about Islame, but I ask you the same question. Me, I will happily say I have no absolute proof either way - it is the honest answer. The answer you cannot give.

Are you sure your answer is more honest then mine will be?

Do you not have enough proof to have determined that you don't want to be involved with a religion?

Am I more dishonest then you simiply because I have enough proof to determine that I want to have certian religious believes?

I think that is worth thinking about.

Lynna

btw you haven't told me how your every Saturday visits are going. (smiley) You haven't knock them off have you? (oh no face)

Reply #87 - November 05, 2009, 03:00 AM

Hello The Tailor,

This seems like a good topic for next time.

Hopefully, that is. I have so little time.

Miss Lynna

Reply #88 - November 05, 2009, 03:09 AM

Am I more dishonest then you simiply because I have enough proof to determine that I want to have certian religious believes?

What proof do you have of your religious beliefs Lynna?

"Befriend them not, Oh murtads, and give them neither parrot nor bunny."  - happymurtad's advice on trolls.
     Reply #89 - November 05, 2009, 02:24 PM

Hi Islame,

I'm think there might be some sort of fallacy involved in your answer but that is not really a direction I'm interested in going.

But you just did, later in your post  Roll Eyes
    I don't think it is arrogant at all to be convenced that there are things that are absolute truth.

It is when you claim to have absolute knowledge of something that is not possible to have absolute knowledge on.
    Now, if a person thought that the acquisition of knowledge about an absolute truth made them superior, that would be arrogant. In brief my thought is: If a certian way of life is worth living there has to a certain amount sureness that your believes are right, good and valuable.

Agreed on both counts
    Do I think you are arrogant because you think being an agnostic is a better way of life?

No, I dont even know if it is a better way of living, my only claim is that no-one can really know otherwise, so please, lets stop pretending
    Well, I don't nor do I think that makes a bad person. Actually I think you are very likely a very compassionate person to be concerned enough about my well being to try to direct me down a different course of life.

Most people are (com)passionate about something or other, so it makes little difference here
    btw I looked up agnostic again just to make sure my idea about the meaning of agnostic is somewhat correct.  In general I suppose it is. I was thinking an agnostic is some one who enjoys the obtaining of knowledge but does not feel that a person could obtain enough knowledge to know there is a God or not. That is close to some of the definitions I looked up.
    Is that how you would discribe yourself?

Yep, thats a good summary
    Do you think it is absolutely impossible to know if there is a God?

Yep, unless you can prove otherwise and understand the meaning of proof
    Now, it is your turn if you please.

You're turn

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • Previous page 1 2 34 5 6 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »