Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Ridda Wars & "No compulsion in religion"

(Read 10590 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Ridda Wars & "No compulsion in religion"
     OP - September 15, 2009, 04:21 PM

I was just wondering, how do Muslims reconcile their beliefs that there's "No compulsion in religion, " with the Ridda Wars?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridda_wars

I know the ways they have managed to explain away the massacres of Jews & the destruction of idols on the kaaba, but the Ridda Rebels only fault was simply apostatizing!

Quote from: wikipedia
    Apart from their specific objectives, the corps commanders were given the following instructions:
    1.Seek the tribes which are your objectives
    2.Call the Azaan.
    3.If the tribe answers with the Azaan, do not attack. After the Azaan, ask the tribe to confirm its submission, including the payment of zakat. If confirmed, do not attack.
    4.Those who submit will not be attacked.
    5.Those who do not answer with the Azaan, or after the Azaan do not confirm full submission, will be dealt with by sword.
    6.All apostates who have killed Muslims will be killed.
    With these instructions Abu Bakr launched the forces of Islam against the apostates.

In other words, only if they answer the Muslim call to prayer ie tha azaan with azaan will they be spared!

So they have to remain Muslims or be Shooter!

How do Muslims believe that there is "No compulsion in religion," & the instances of compulsion were infrequent in Muslim history, as Islam was retained through massive force during these redda wars?

World renowned historian Will Durant"...the Islamic conquest of India is probably the bloodiest story in history. It is a discouraging tale, for its evident moral is that civilization is a precious good, whose delicate complex order and freedom can at any moment be overthrown..."
  • Re: Ridda Wars & "No compulsion in religion"
     Reply #1 - September 15, 2009, 06:15 PM

The new class that came to power had to defend itself against counter-revolution led by the old class (namely, the mercantile bourgeoisie). This is a process of state formation.

"...every imperfection in man is a bond with heaven..." - Karl Marx
  • Re: Ridda Wars & "No compulsion in religion"
     Reply #2 - September 15, 2009, 07:17 PM

As a hypocritical Muslim, I was taught that the ridda wars, despite their name, were over the financial rebellion of some Arabian tribes against the new state power - the government of Abu Bakr.  As a munafiq Muslim who never did a single positive thing in life, I was taught that the dispute was not over these tribes disavowing salat or the shahatain, or hajj, but that they were refusing to pay zakat to the fledgling state because they felt they should no longer have to give the money since Mo was dead.  I know now, of course, that this was foolish and hypocritical of me to accept. How dare I believe my Muslim teachers?  Of course, taking the cynical view that, indeed, Abu Bakr was trying to gather up all the money for the state since he was a political leader would also be wrong of me, since Muslims all just want to kill and behead in the name Allah's jihad. 

[this space for rent]
     Reply #3 - April 18, 2014, 02:51 AM

Bump.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
     Reply #4 - April 18, 2014, 11:45 AM

The simple fact of the matter is: ‘no compulsion in religion’, taken in context of its placement in the qur’an and the circumstances of its ‘revelation’, means people should not force muslims to abandon their religion through (forcible) conversion. It has nothing to do with ACTUAL freedom of religion.
     Reply #5 - January 25, 2015, 06:01 PM

Many scholars are coming around to seeing the Ridda - if it happened - as more a "war" than a "civil war". Pourshariati dates the conquest of Iraq to the 620s; Shoemaker has the Prophet later known as "Muhammad" / "Mahmet" still alive when Palestine is conquered. So nowadays Robert Hoyland ("Seeing Islam") is putting one and one together and seeing Arabs conquering in two directions with little or no co-ordination between them.

It's reasonable to suggest that the Hijazi aristocracy, associated with Madinat Yathrib and Muhammad, would want to exert some discipline over the eastern Arabs. Qurashis like Sa'd bin Abi Waqqas and Ash'aris like Abu Musa would then have been imposed over the east as commanders.

The problem I'm having is that I'm not seeing the evidence for *any* war in the non-Muslim sources. Also its main historian seems to be Tabari `an Sayf bin `Umar and I am afraid I do not trust Sayf one bit.
     Reply #6 - January 25, 2015, 06:37 PM

Ridda -Ridda wars of Islam".

............................The problem I'm having is that I'm not seeing the evidence for *any* war in the non-Muslim sources.............

Hello Zimriel ., greetings., all that history of early Islam explored by 20/ 21st century historians Shoemaker.,Robert Hoyland or Patrica Crone is different from ridda wars that you read in early Islam from Muslim sources
    .........Many scholars ..........].

Well Islam confuses hell out of everyone including those who explore its history..  again Ridda wars were those attacks/wars that happened immediately after the death of alleged  Prophet of Islam in the years 632-and 633.. a very specific period when Abu BAKRAH .. alleged  sahaba and  alleged  father in law of Muhammad became 1st rightly guided caliph of Islam..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

Reply #7 - January 25, 2015, 07:25 PM

Many scholars are coming around to seeing the Ridda - if it happened - as more a "war" than a "civil war". Pourshariati dates the conquest of Iraq to the 620s; Shoemaker has the Prophet later known as "Muhammad" / "Mahmet" still alive when Palestine is conquered. So nowadays Robert Hoyland ("Seeing Islam") is putting one and one together and seeing Arabs conquering in two directions with little or no co-ordination between them.

It's reasonable to suggest that the Hijazi aristocracy, associated with Madinat Yathrib and Muhammad, would want to exert some discipline over the eastern Arabs. Qurashis like Sa'd bin Abi Waqqas and Ash'aris like Abu Musa would then have been imposed over the east as commanders.

The problem I'm having is that I'm not seeing the evidence for *any* war in the non-Muslim sources. Also its main historian seems to be Tabari `an Sayf bin `Umar and I am afraid I do not trust Sayf one bit.

Thanks, Zimriel - I appreciate your contribution  Smiley

(Please don't take too much notice of Yeezevee - he means no harm - some find it best to just smile and ignore him.)

Reply #8 - January 25, 2015, 07:28 PM

Pourshariati dates the conquest of Iraq to the 620s; Shoemaker has the Prophet later known as "Muhammad" / "Mahmet" still alive when Palestine is conquered. So nowadays Robert Hoyland ("Seeing Islam") is putting one and one together and seeing Arabs conquering in two directions with little or no co-ordination between them.

Hello Zimriel ., greetings., all that history of early Islam explored by 20/ 21st century historians Shoemaker.,Robert Hoyland or Patrica Crone is different from ridda wars that you read in early Islam from Muslim sources Well Islam confuses hell out of everyone including those who explore its history..  again Ridda wars were those attacks/wars that happened immediately after the death of alleged  Prophet of Islam in the years 632-and 633.. a very specific period when Abu BAKRAH .. alleged  sahaba and  alleged  father in law of Muhammad became 1st rightly guided caliph of Islam..

Yeezevee, please remember new members are not familiar with your... "style", not to mention striking through someone's post is somewhat rude - so please... please... please... try to be a little more sensitive, especially with new members - and tone it down a bit.

Thanks Smiley
     Reply #9 - January 25, 2015, 09:12 PM

Yeezevee, please remember new members are not familiar with your... "style", not to mention striking through someone's post is somewhat rude - so please... please... please... try to be a little more sensitive, especially with new members - and tone it down a bit.

Thanks Smiley

oh really?   damn... i used do that all the time for the past 15 years.. well let  me  delete all that .,   and dear Zimriel  as Abu Mustfa  ali pointed out..  don't take that serious  and don't take serious on   any posts of Ibn yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »