Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 14, 2024, 05:54 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: What if YOUR wrong?

(Read 9536 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • What if YOUR wrong?
     OP - September 09, 2009, 04:51 PM

So, i just had a discussion with a religious friend of mine.

We argued about god, heaven, paradise, different religions and so forth.
    Suddenly he jumped at me with the good old "what if your wrong?" question.

First, i never thought he would go down to that, because normaly we discuss on a much higher basis. Second, he clearly was out of arguments.

So, i got a bit upset, and thats what im told him. (trying to translate from german as good as possible)

"What if YOUR wrong? What if there is no afterlife, no heaven, paradise or whatever you call it? What if you waste your time praying, not doing things that are perfectly ok, but arent because of your religious believes, like having sex with your Girlfriend before marriage.
    You would have wasted all your hate for other races, sexual preferences and religions. Every minute you worried about god i actually do something with my time that benefits me or people close to me. Think of it like this. 60% of our lifetime we Sleep. I can do with the 40% left whatever i want without feeling bad as long as i dont interfere with other peoples freedom. How many percent do you waste, just in case i am right, in praying, worrieng about god, thinking about Sins, surpressing your human nature or being judgemental about people who are not like you? Lets say another 10%. Just for the sake of it. So? If YOU are wrong, i lifed the only life we have 10% more intense then you did... go figure!"

Like i said, i was a bit angry at the moment. Cant stand religious people coming with Pascals wager at me.

All the anger aside, what do you think? Like creationists try to turn science against reason, shouldnt we turn Pascals wager against religion?

Just thought i share this with you.

"We are never deceived, we deceive ourselves." - from Goethes Faust
    "Only the wisest and the stupidest men never change." - Confuzios
    "there is no religion of peace, only people who are peaceful while being religious."
  • Re: What if YOUR wrong?
     Reply #1 - September 09, 2009, 04:57 PM

What if he's wrong and should be worshipping cows instead?  Its a ridiculous argument and not worth the wear & tear I have just exposed my keyboard too  finmad

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #2 - September 09, 2009, 05:04 PM

Pascals Wager is an extremely feable argument. Here it is.

Pascal?s Wager

There is an argument for belief in God that is called Pascal?s Wager, named after Blaise Pascal who conceived it.  The argument goes like this:  Either there is a god or there isn?t.  If you believe in God, and God exists, then you win big time and go to Heaven.  If you don?t believe in God, and God exists, you lose big time and go to Hell.  If there is no god, then you haven?t lost much by believing.  So the obvious choice is to believe in God, because it?s simply the best bet.

Pascal?s Wager has several faults.  The biggest problem is that it?s not a proof of any god?s existence; it?s just an argument for believing, a method of extorting the gullible thru fear.  Like many other such arguments we have discussed, it also fails to denote exactly which god it refers to.  Pascal?s Wager could be applied to any god that offers rewards and punishments.  Taken to the extreme, following the wager would necessitate betting on the god with the worst hell, so it could be avoided.  It's impossible to know which god to worship, and which (perhaps jealous) gods to spurn.  I doubt if many Christians would convert to Islam if the wager were presented by a Muslim who told them that Muslim Hell is worse than Christian Hell and Muslim Heaven is better than Christian Heaven.

Pascal?s Wager assumes that the chosen god's mind is knowable, and that he doesn't mind people believing in him for explicitly selfish reasons.  Perhaps he actually prefers independent thinkers such as atheists, not obsequious followers.  Since the Christian god Yahweh is on record as having lied, there's no way to know his intentions.  It would be quite possible for a true believer to discover on Judgement Day that the destination was not Heaven.  Yahweh, in his infinitely mysterious ways, had other plans; and there would be no appeal or debate with an omnipotent being.

Another problem with Pascal?s Wager is that it implicitly assumes that the odds of the two possibilities are similar.  Since the odds of the Christian, Jewish, or Muslim god existing are zero, the wager creates a false dilemma.  The wager even goes against the doctrine that many religions have where gambling is sinful.  Note also that the existence of the wager and the fact that so many people think that it's relevant illuminate the lack of actual evidence for God.

Pascal?s Wager also depends on the idea that you don?t lose much by believing.  This has been false for many who have trusted in their god for help or guidance, instead of seeking reality-based solutions.  People have fought, killed and died for their belief in their god.  Far too many have died because they (or their parents) chose prayer instead of medicine.  Swords, bullets, poison and poisonous snakes have killed many who thought that they were protected by their god.  Even without these more dramatic effects, believers often devote significant time, energy and money to worshipping their god.

Beliefs in a god (and the often concomitant ideas of divine punishment and reward) too often make people more willing to accept inequalities in this life.  Low-paid factory workers and slaves were taught that their rewards were in the afterlife, so they should be meek and obedient in this life to ensure their (imaginary) rewards.  Even the factory and slave owners could think that they were part of their god's divine plan, and thus deserved their earthly rewards.

God-belief has real expenses that can be large or destructive.

The last problem with Pascal?s Wager is that it completely ignores and even denigrates intellectual integrity and honesty; the wager assumes that people can believe something just because they want to.  As an example, let?s talk about belief in Santa Claus.  Don?t we have more respect for a child who figures out that Santa doesn?t exist, and says so, rather than continuing to lie so he can get more presents?  It?s a sign of growing integrity and maturity for children to stop believing in Santa.  Similarly, adults can give up belief in a god when they realize that there?s no real evidence for their god.  Christians can quit being ?sheep? or ?children of god? and become intellectually honest.

The loss of intellectual integrity and honesty engendered by Pascal?s Wager gives some insight into how apparently rational people can behave so irrationally.  By accepting the wager, they have (perhaps implicitly) given up these important traits.

Reply #3 - September 09, 2009, 05:20 PM

Tell your friend he has to believe my right earlobe contains the spirit of a deadly assassin.  Unless he donates a thousand pounds to me by tomorrow, then it will take flight and give him a deadly disease at midnight.  

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #4 - September 09, 2009, 05:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mmskXXetcg

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #5 - September 09, 2009, 05:55 PM

That should be a question asked to EVERY follower of EVERY religion out there...not for someone who does not want to be superstitious.

What if we are wrong ? Which god(s) would we be wrong about then ?

Pakistan Zindabad? ya Pakistan sey Zinda bhaag?

Long Live Pakistan? Or run with your lives from Pakistan?
     Reply #6 - September 09, 2009, 06:04 PM

That should be a question asked to EVERY follower of EVERY religion out there...not for someone who does not want to be superstitious.

What if we are wrong ? Which god(s) would we be wrong about then ?

I think the which god(s) argument when presented to the jews, christians and muslims might be rather poor and they will dismiss it because technically all three of them are talking about the same being. They will just dismiss it as semantics. What the Pascal wager is useful for is regarding how he wants to be worshiped and what religion to follow. When referring to Allah and Yahweh, I think there is a mutual understanding that they are referring to the same "God", unless someone knows differently?
     Reply #7 - September 09, 2009, 06:10 PM

I think the which god(s) argument when presented to the jews, christians and muslims might be rather poor and they will dismiss it because technically all three of them are talking about the same being. They will just dismiss it as semantics. What the Pascal wager is useful for is regarding how he wants to be worshiped and what religion to follow. When referring to Allah and Yahweh, I think there is a mutual understanding that they are referring to the same "God", unless someone knows differently?

They say that because their religions have plagiarized from each other (christianity from judaism and islam from them both). But it's bull if you sit and compare their gods. Not only do yahweh, jesus and allah contradict themselves within their own religious texts, they don't have as much in common with each other as their followers would like to believe. Not to mention that each of those 3 religions believe that the followers of the other 2 are deluded and misguided. They only have to say that it's all about just "1 god" because they are monotheists themselves and to say that other monotheists believe in another monotheistic god would just be blatantly paradoxical and moronic.

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #8 - September 09, 2009, 06:18 PM

Whilst I can appreciate parts of these religions are similar, I can also appreciate that they may have been different messages for differents times. 

However I am at a loss as to why he would expect different people to follow a different set of rules in this day & age, if he is the same God  Huh?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #9 - September 09, 2009, 06:23 PM

Generally if you speak to muslims they would say that they are referring to the same god as the jews and christians, because they refer to him as the god of Abraham, Moses, Jesus and Mohammed. The xtians and jews might think differently because each earlier religion reckons the latter one is a false messiah.
     Reply #10 - September 09, 2009, 06:30 PM

but why do the muslims believe Jews & Christians have a different message?  Why were muslims persecuting the Jews and telling them to change their religion or pay jizyah?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #11 - September 09, 2009, 07:07 PM

but why do the muslims believe Jews & Christians have a different message?  Why were muslims persecuting the Jews and telling them to change their religion or pay jizyah?

Simple, Mo claimed to be the seal and the final prophet bringing the final and eternal message for mankind, the quran, which is an abbrogation of all the other scriptures including the tawrat, zabur and injil. Those messengers and scriptures were meant for a certain time and locality, they were rendered into incoherence by the followers, hence Allah sent Mo as the final universal prophet to put right what the followers of earlier religions corrupted.  Afro
     Reply #12 - September 09, 2009, 08:23 PM

Not every religion can be true
    However, they can all be false

The foundation of superstition is ignorance, the
    superstructure is faith and the dome is a vain hope. Superstition
    is the child of ignorance and the mother of misery.
    -Robert G. Ingersoll (1898)

"Do time ninjas have this ability?" "Yeah. Only they stay silent and aren't douchebags."  -Ibl
     Reply #13 - September 09, 2009, 10:49 PM

aliadiere beat me to it, I love that youtube! Cheesy
  • What if YOUR wrong?
     Reply #14 - May 27, 2017, 10:38 PM

I just found this page. The answer of Omaar was brilliant.

I wished that some of our old members would return to Cemb again  sad
  • What if YOUR wrong?
     Reply #15 - May 28, 2017, 07:17 PM

Same ElToro.

how fuck works without shit??

Let's Play Chess!

harakaat, friend, RIP
  • What if YOUR wrong?
     Reply #16 - June 06, 2017, 08:22 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwtSt1XrVMk
  • What if YOUR wrong?
     Reply #17 - June 06, 2017, 09:05 PM

I was listening to a podcast of Sam Harris in conversation with Canadian professor of clinical psychology Jordan Peterson recently.  Harris discussed reasons for his atheism - chief among them was being taught that the God his parents believed in was angry, vengeful and needed to be propitiated.  Most people on CEMB seem to have had a similar experience to Harris, one way or another.   But Peterson's lectures on the human condition, how to approach God, scripture and understand your own life and growth are really wonderful and inspiring (at least to me and it seems a large number of Canadians who attend his talks).

The idea that 'you go to hell' if you don't believe in the prophet and Allah seems infantile in the extreme.  Try just opening yourselves to the many wise, loving and believing people (speakers, authors, etc) out there.  There are many better alternatives to emotional blackmail.   Any parent who uses fear tactics (and it is not unknown for Christian parents of certain faiths and time periods to have used similar tactics) is ignorant of the God I know and I would say basically guilty of child abuse.   But there is so much more to life than that.

• What if YOUR wrong?
     Reply #18 - June 07, 2017, 09:19 PM

"is ignorant of the God I know"

Who is the god you know? Have you met him?
  • What if YOUR wrong?
     Reply #19 - June 08, 2017, 04:34 AM

In addition to ElToro's questions - surely a certain amount of fear is healthy?

Whilst I don't have children, I know darn well that there were times when I was a kid that the only reason I didn't misbehave was for fear of being caught, and punished. That punishment may have been a telling off, sitting on the stairs, a smack, not getting pocket money, etc. Had the threat not been there, yes I'd (sometimes) have continued to do what I knew very well was wrong.

Why don't we all go round driving well over the speed limits all day long? Why do we lock our doors before we sleep? Why do the vast majority of people generally sick to the law? Because a lot of the time, the legal consequences are the primary deterrent, taking preference over moral or ethical incentives to be good or well behaved.

There's nothing wrong with fear, it keeps us safe. In fact, continuing with your parenting example, it's say the parents who don't successfully use fear - ie. who threaten but don't follow through with their threat - who have much more trouble controlling their kids than parents who use suitable punishment as a constructive  parenting tool. It's use of excessive fear that's destructive.
  • What if YOUR wrong?
     Reply #20 - June 08, 2017, 09:44 AM

Eltoro's question is very different  to your Jrg ... he's having a dig at my apparent pretentiousness.   Fair enough.  But let me deal with ElToro first and then I'll respond to your valid questions in a very different way.

So, ElToro ... you ask me 'Have you met him'?  Meaning God.  It's a question I cannot possibly answer.  I'm pretty sure I have not, but I'm not 100% certain.
    I'm almost 70, a grandfather married to the same woman for almost 40 years ... but if I wind the clock back 45 years to a time when I was just out of Reading university and living in a house my father had bought for investment purposes in Barnes in 1973 I was a very different and hurting fellow.  I was lonely, feeling a lot of emotional pain every day.  Literally waking up to a pain in the pit of my stomach.  I was miserable and depressed and very much alone.   My last girlfriend at Reading had come to London to become a hooker and had slept with my best friend.   I was utterly lost.

One typical morning, I got up and headed to the bathroom for the usual reasons.   At some point in that bathroom, in that empty soulless house something happened to me.   Quietly but steadily a glowing feeling of peace and happiness began to fill me.  It felt marvelous but was so starkly different to how I had felt for months (if not years) I sat on the edge of the bath and checked out my arms and legs to see if I was glowing or sparks were coming out!   Everything was in order.  But I was totally a different person.   I was grateful.  I felt happy for the first time in years.   I decided to go about my day .. wondering if my workmates would notice anything different about me.  They didn't.  But I had a good day and some good conversations with people I'd previously felt I had little in common with.   The glowing happy presence last all day.   I didn't want it to leave me .. but when it did I was not as alone as I'd been before .. something had changed for the better.   I wasn't yet out of the woods of loneliness ... but I somehow now knew there was a path to leave those dark woods.

So ... returning to your question.  Was it God who visited me?   I don't think so, but I cannot say what it was.  Other people's accounts of angels sounds right to me, but its just a guess on my part.   But some higher power had taken pity on me and given he help I had never imagined.   I wish the same for everyone ... because that day did, in retrospect mark a change in direction that led to a better life and I'll always be thankful.

• What if YOUR wrong?
     Reply #21 - June 08, 2017, 09:59 AM

So Jrg .. fear and children, and can fear be beneficial individually and in society in general.   I only had 2 children ... both boys.  One was a real rebel and a royal pain in the ass for years.   He thought marijuana was the answer to everything, screwed up at school, stole from other members of the family and was fiercely judgmental of the rest of us!   Believe it or not.   He certainly was not feeling much fear.

There were times when I was seething with anger at his antics and felt like giving him a hiding.  But my father had never laid a hand on me, despite being 6' 3" and an amateur boxer in his army days in WW2.   I had appreciated that on some level and wanted my own son to feel the same love to me that I felt for my own father.
    So I never laid a hand on him.   We did punish with things like being grounded, confined to the house, loss of pocket money, additional chores.  But never physical violence or verbal abuse.

But I also felt that I had been often too absent as a father.  I travelled a lot on business and my dear wife had to do more than her fair share of raising the kids.  What I'm driving at here is that the best parenting I have seen is where a strong emotional bond of trust and intimate communication is built over time.  And the main 'fear' factor in the kids is when that connection is threatened by their behavior and actions.  The apparent withdrawal of love by one or both parents for some period of time.

I don't pretend to have a cure all answer and freely acknowledge that fear of the law and legal consequences remains a vital component of any decent society.   

That pain in the ass son by the way eventually did a full 180 and is now a loving father himself and we have a much better relationship.  I say to myself sometimes that a parent needs patience more than anything, because it can take an awfully long time for your children to find out what seems painfully clear to you.   I think God has had to be very patient with mankind!

• What if YOUR wrong?
     Reply #22 - June 08, 2017, 10:37 AM

If I'm wrong about the christian/islamic god I'll be tortured for all eternity.

`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
     `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
     `How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
     `You must be,' said the Cat, `or you wouldn't have come here.'
  • What if YOUR wrong?
     Reply #23 - June 08, 2017, 11:05 AM

'Wrong' in what way Quod Sum?   Tortured by who?

• What if YOUR wrong?
     Reply #24 - June 08, 2017, 11:59 AM

Yahweh/Allah.

`Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: `we're all mad here. I'm mad.  You're mad.'
  • What if YOUR wrong?
     Reply #25 - June 08, 2017, 12:13 PM

So you were raised with the same angry vengeful God that Sam Harris was then?   Maybe you were misinformed.

• What if YOUR wrong?
     Reply #26 - June 08, 2017, 12:24 PM

Reading the bible/quran didn't help. As a christian do you not believe that I'm born in sin, and that the only way to achieve salvation is to admit I'm born wicked and to accept the torture and blood sacrifice of an iron age Palestinian jewish rabbi?

• What if YOUR wrong?
     Reply #27 - June 08, 2017, 12:29 PM

So you were raised with the same angry vengeful God that Sam Harris was then?   Maybe you were misinformed.

Sam Harris has not invented  that angry vengeful God  dear  Unifier.,

He is talking about the god that is described  in the Books that  FOOLS CONSIDER AS WORD OF SOME  HA..HU..HU... SUPER DOPER god..

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• What if YOUR wrong?
     Reply #28 - June 08, 2017, 01:16 PM

Yeezevee ... where did I say he invented that depiction?   If you are going to join this discussion do me a favor and read my posts more carefully.

Christians believe in what is referred to as the 'Old Testament' and the 'New Testament' - you will be familiar with these terms but perhaps have not thought very deeply about them.  The situation of man and God in the Old Testament period was pretty desperate.  The most powerful groups were organized slave societies of a casually brutal stripe.   God (in my understanding) was trying to raise up a people with a different way of life not based on slavery and oppression.   That people gave us the first declaration of human rights known as the 10 Commandments.  There is clearly brutality demanded by God in that period to enable the Jews to carve out a homeland and wrestle it from the warlike occupiers and other things objectionable to modern sensibilities.   Unless you can read the OT imaginatively and from the perspective of everything that was ultimately at stake - you could easily interpret it as you do.

But then came the New Testament and Jesus message of a God who loved mankind unconditionally (read the parables of the prodigal son, the good Samaritan, the Sermon on The Mount .. etc).   Jesus spoke of a spiritual reality and not a worldly empire.   He shunned violence and sacrificed his own life for his message and beliefs, he even taught that we should love our enemies.   Every one of his disciples died violently at the hands of uncomprehending and brutal persecutors.   But eventually his message triumphed over that persecution.   

The main theological problem I have with Islam is that while I genuinely admire the seriousness about God and the quiet dignity of many Muslim people, by adopting a legal code from the Old Testament (for basically political reasons if Tom Holland and others are to be believed) Islam literally turned back progress and tried to impose a rules based belief system inimical to my understanding of innate human freedom and true dignity.

• What if YOUR wrong?
     Reply #29 - June 08, 2017, 01:27 PM

Yeezevee ... where did I say he invented that depiction?   If you are going to join this discussion do me a favor and read my posts more carefully.
    Christians believe in what is referred to as the 'Old Testament' and the 'New Testament' - you will be familiar with these terms but perhaps have not thought very deeply about them.  The situation of man and God in the Old Testament period was pretty desperate.  The most powerful groups were organized slave societies of a casually brutal stripe.   God (in my understanding) was trying to raise up a people with a different way of life not based on slavery and oppression.   That people gave us the first declaration of human rights known as the 10 Commandments.  There is clearly brutality demanded by God in that period to enable the Jews to carve out a homeland and wrestle it from the warlike occupiers and other things objectionable to modern sensibilities.   Unless you can read the OT imaginatively and from the perspective of everything that was ultimately at stake - you could easily interpret it as you do.

But then came the New Testament and Jesus message of a God who loved mankind unconditionally (read the parables of the prodigal son, the good Samaritan, the Sermon on The Mount .. etc).   Jesus spoke of a spiritual reality and not a worldly empire.   He shunned violence and sacrificed his own life for his message and beliefs, he even taught that we should love our enemies.   Every one of his disciples died violently at the hands of uncomprehending and brutal persecutors.   But eventually his message triumphed over that persecution.  

The main theological problem I have with Islam is that while I genuinely admire the seriousness about God and the quiet dignity of many Muslim people, by adopting a legal code from the Old Testament (for basically political reasons if Tom Holland and others are to be believed) Islam literally turned back progress and tried to impose a rules based belief system inimical to my understanding of innate human freedom and true dignity.

well  then you can not blame that guy   and  should not use these words  
    So you were raised with the same angry vengeful God that Sam Harris was then?  ....

and his name dear Unifier.,rest of the hidden words of your post I will read  bit later .. as I need to read carefully read this post of  AGoD  AGirlWithDoubts

with best
    yeezevee

Do not let silence become your legacy.. Question everything   
    I renounced my faith to become a kafir, 
    the beloved betrayed me and turned in to  a Muslim

• 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »