Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Shabana Rehman

(Read 11347 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Shabana Rehman
     OP - September 05, 2009, 09:29 PM

Long may she live

http://www.despardes.com/newsmakers/shabana-rehman-apr30.htm

SCANDINAVIAN humour has taken an unusual turn with the emergence in Oslo of a female comedian whose routine consists of putting the boot into Islamic extremists.

There are guffaws from the audience when Shabana Rehman appears on the stage in a burqa. The garment is ?useful for scaring away children?, she says, ?but not very practical when you are assembling a bit of furniture from Ikea?.

The collision of Nordic social democracy with Muslim mores has seldom been a subject for debate, let alone jokes, in politically correct Norway, whose politicians fear accusations of stirring racial hatred when broaching immigration.

But now Rehman, a 26-year-old of Pakistani origin, has sprung up. Her show has catapulted her to fame as a champion of liberal Muslim women aspiring to a Scandinavian lifestyle.

Female circumcision and the stoning of adulterous women are as much a target of her vitriolic wit as the willingness of ?multiculturalists? to overlook abuse of women among Norway?s immigrant population. Rehman also jokes about suicide bombers and the amputation of thieves? limbs.

The act has provoked the fury of conservative Muslims. Moderates, for their part, are not amused by her attacks on them for failing to speak out against ?backward? practices. ?I?ve received loads of hate mail,? she said last week. ?They tried to frighten me. They wanted to kill me. They said I had been corrupted by western culture. They called me a whore.?

Unperturbed, Rehman posed naked in a political magazine, her body painted in the colours of the Norwegian flag. The picture has become a symbol of the integrationist fervour for which she is renowned in an increasingly heated debate about the extent to which immigrants should be obliged to tailor their customs to those of Norway.

?I wanted to make it clear that even as a Muslim woman I am free to dispose of my body as I wish,? she said. ?I also wanted to demonstrate to Norwegians that you can be Scandinavian even if you were born in the Punjab.?

Rehman?s mockery of the mullahs involves stripping off the burqa to parade in a revealing red cocktail dress. The routine includes fantasising about what the land of the Vikings would be like if subjected to the sharia code of punishment.

?There would be a lot of stone-throwing in the northern part of Norway,? she exclaims, referring to the stoning prescribed by sharia for women who have illegitimate children. ?On the other hand, girls, Crown Prince Haakon Magnus would still have been single? ? a reference to the fact that the prince?s wife had an illegitimate child from a previous relationship.

Some of her most pointed barbs are reserved for ?halal hippies?, Norwegian ?do-gooders? whose embrace of foreign cultures extends to ignoring their worst excesses. ?If an Asian country dropped a nuclear bomb on Norway, these people would run to the nearest book store to buy a book about oriental culture,? she quips.

To her critics she is simply whipping up prejudice against an immigrant community that has grown to 7% of the population. Yet Rehman has prompted a debate about how traditional immigrants? customs can be merged with progressive laws. ?She is an important voice,? says Erna Solberg, the minister responsible for immigration. ?Her humour allows her to go further than others and incite real reflection.?

Beyond her stage performances, Rehman rants in newspapers and on television about the oppression of forced Pakistani marriages. A year ago, when a young Kurdish woman was killed by her father for choosing to live with a Swedish man, Rehman led a protest. A counter-demonstration was staged by a traditional Muslim women?s group that symbolically ?excommunicated? her.

Her four brothers and three sisters are supportive, even if they are occasionally the butt of her jokes. ?In our culture brothers are supposed to be on guard so their sisters are not dishonoured,? she says on the stage. ?When my sisters and I were in our teens, our brothers were two, four and six years old and you feel sort of stupid when you are walking down the street, holding hands with your boyfriend and this six-year-old comes along biting your boyfriend?s leg, saying, ?Stay off my sister, you pig.? ?

Last year Rehman was awarded a ?freedom of expression? prize by a Norwegian foundation and, trophy in hand, parodied the conventional words of thanks offered by Oscar winners. ?I would like to thank the mullahs,? she said, ?without whom I would not have had a career.?

{Paloma, I edited your post just to fix the URL at the top. -Allat}

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
  • Re: Shabana Rehman
     Reply #1 - September 05, 2009, 09:35 PM

Cheesy I am so downloading her stuff as soon as I can!
     Reply #2 - September 05, 2009, 09:45 PM

Nice!

She is controversiell here,and very little popul?r among her own,as among the norwegians.

She lifted on direct television,a one famous mullah in norway,Mallah Krekar.She bend down,grabbed him,and lifted him up.Never seen anything like it.Smiley

She got balls,for sure.

Reply #3 - September 05, 2009, 10:27 PM

Good good!

Very shallow of me but: she's very pretty!!
     Reply #4 - September 05, 2009, 10:47 PM

Nice!

She is controversiell here,and very little popul?r among her own,as among the norwegians.

She lifted on direct television,a one famous mullah in norway,Mallah Krekar.She bend down,grabbed him,and lifted him up.Never seen anything like it.Smiley

She got balls,for sure.

Here she is lifting the Mullah

http://blogs.salon.com/0001561/2004/04/30.html

He ain't heavy, he's my Mullah

Mullah Krekar, the leader (or, as he insists, former leader) of Kurdic fundamentalist group Ansar al-Islam, and for many years an asylum-holder in Norway, has extended his 15 minutes of fame into absolute parody, just recently by writing an autobiography. Fitting, then, that the latest chapter in the story involves a prank played on the grandfatherly terrorist leader by Norwegian-Pakistani humourist Shabana Rehman (picture), known for challenging taboos in the border zone between Norwegian and Muslim immigrant culture.

On Tuesday night as the debate was winding to a close, Rehman came on stage and said she wanted to carry out a "satiric test" to find out if Mullah Krekar was as strongly fundamentalist as some of his critics believe. When he approached her, she grabbed him and lifted him up in the air.

Krekar, who said that Rehman picked him up by reaching under his buttocks, became furious, grabbed the microphone and began speaking in Norwegian for the first time that evening.

In reaction, Krekar went absolutely ballistic. To a conservative Muslim, being touched, and even lifted, by a woman in public, in front of his wife and family, is an absolute humiliation. Not that this has earned him much sympathy. Despite his lawyer advising against it, Krekar has now reported Rehman to the police for "insult to the body", a rather esoteric crime in our civil code, and one the police routinely reacts to with ignoring it, or in extreme cases a fine..

Mullah Krekar has just attacked a TV2 journalist who tried to photograph him in public. The footage is to be shown on TV tonight. It is Mullah Krekar in all newspapers, all TV channels, all bloody week.

This rounds up the news coverage for Norway for April, the month of jokes.

PS: Speaking of which, the newest joke making the rounds is that the Norwegian Olympic Committee has requested to the IOC that Mullah-lifting becomes an Olympic competition by 2008. We should have a strong team.

PS 2: Oh, even the New York Times (and others) have picked up this story. They have pcitures, too.

PS 3: Bj?rn St?rk has his own angle on this story. How the hell do you translate "jentelus" into English anyway? A commenter says it is called "cooties", what little boys are afraid of getting by being touched by girls. It's amazing how fast non-fundamentalist men get over that fear.

Like a compass needle that points north, a man?s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always.

Khaled Hosseini - A thousand splendid suns.
     Reply #5 - September 06, 2009, 07:23 AM

She is well wicked!!!! Afro Cheesy
     Reply #6 - September 06, 2009, 07:27 AM

and hot..... tissssss

Reply #7 - September 06, 2009, 07:30 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6UwiQVwOd4

Reply #8 - September 06, 2009, 07:35 AM

the newest joke making the rounds is that the Norwegian Olympic Committee has requested to the IOC that Mullah-lifting becomes an Olympic competition by 2008

Cheesy

Reply #9 - September 06, 2009, 07:38 AM

"I will never be a good muslim wife, because it's been a long time since I was nine years old!"

Now that is a great line.

Living in Norway or any Scandanavian country is different to living in the UK though. I have thought about moving out there myself.
     Reply #10 - September 06, 2009, 09:21 AM

She is doing exactly the right thing. Ridiculing the stupidity and prejudices on all sides. Very refreshing, wish there were more women like her.
     Reply #11 - September 08, 2009, 11:40 AM

"I will never be a good muslim wife, because it's been a long time since I was nine years old!"

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
     Reply #12 - September 08, 2009, 12:04 PM

Love the mullah-lifting but I have an even better idea. Substitute them for the hammer throw. Whirl them around by their feet and see how far you can launch them.  dance

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #13 - September 08, 2009, 05:06 PM

Love the mullah-lifting but I have an even better idea. Substitute them for the hammer throw. Whirl them around by their feet and see how far you can launch them.  dance

I have a feeling that whichever direction you hammer throw a mullah, they will always land with their heads pointing in the Qiblah direction.

Pakistan Zindabad? ya Pakistan sey Zinda bhaag?

Long Live Pakistan? Or run with your lives from Pakistan?
     Reply #14 - September 08, 2009, 06:34 PM

Here she is lifting the Mullah
    (Clicky for piccy!)

Bloody brilliant!  I lover the mullah lifting!  Just look at the expression on his face in the last picture!  Cheesy

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #15 - September 08, 2009, 07:54 PM

I'm in love!

Reply #16 - September 08, 2009, 07:59 PM

We need more Shabana Rehmans!!!  dance

"Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused."
     Reply #17 - September 08, 2009, 08:08 PM

(Clicky for piccy!)

I'm in love!

She looks too butch for my liking - she would probably eat me for breakfast

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #18 - September 08, 2009, 08:10 PM

She looks too butch for my liking - she would probably eat me for breakfast

Hmmm... permission to say: I like women who take control  grin12
     Reply #19 - September 08, 2009, 08:13 PM

she'd do more than take control, she'd be wearing a strap-on

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #20 - September 08, 2009, 08:17 PM

lol... ya'think? Well for her I'll to anything.... ANYTHING!  grin12
     Reply #21 - September 08, 2009, 08:19 PM

Cheesy

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #22 - September 08, 2009, 08:39 PM

She'd probably wanna give him a moustache after that too Tongue
     Reply #23 - September 08, 2009, 08:47 PM

Can anyone find any of her stuff online? There only seems to be that one clip already posted here (and some others in a different language) that I can find.
     Reply #24 - September 08, 2009, 10:45 PM

I'm in love!

You have to love women in RED! especially with jet black hair! Afro

Reply #25 - September 09, 2009, 02:34 AM

I have a feeling that whichever direction you hammer throw a mullah, they will always land with their heads pointing in the Qiblah direction.

We need to test this empirically for the advancement of science.  Afro

Reply #26 - September 09, 2009, 04:55 AM

Ok I will be the thrower, you find me a mullah!

Reply #27 - September 09, 2009, 05:12 AM

Hmm. That's going to be the hard bit. I mean finding them is easy but getting them to stay still while you twirl 'em is the tricky bit.  grin12
    I could see if people would like to send old Hilali over for a practice run. Even most of the Muslims in Australia want to get rid of him.  yes

Reply #28 - September 09, 2009, 05:28 AM

She looks too butch for my liking

+1

Call me TAP TAP! for I am THE ASS PATTER!
     Reply #29 - September 09, 2009, 05:35 AM

You seriously think she looks butch? Can't really see it myself. Looks like a normal sort of woman to me.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »