Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 07:25 AM

New Britain
Today at 12:05 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

What's happened to the fo...
April 11, 2024, 01:00 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
February 01, 2024, 12:10 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Pakistan: The Nation.....
January 28, 2024, 02:12 PM

Gaza assault
January 27, 2024, 01:08 PM

Nawal El Saadawi: Egypt's...
January 27, 2024, 12:24 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Having a problem

(Read 4665 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Having a problem
     OP - September 04, 2009, 12:32 AM

Hello, I have been having a technical problem with this forum. Whenever I try to post a link,picture or embed a video from Youtube, the forum says I cannot post links. I noticed no one else seems to have this problem and wondered if anyone could help me? thnkyu

"In a child's power to master the multiplication table, there is more sanctity than in all your shouted "amens" and "holy holies" and "hosannas." An idea is a greater monument than a cathedral. And the advance of man's knowledge is a greater miracle than all the sticks" - Henry Drummond
  • Re: Having a problem
     Reply #1 - September 04, 2009, 08:53 AM

We don't allow new members to post new links until they have made a set amount of posts, it helps minimise the hit and run spam posters all forums are plagued with.

Inhale the good shit, exhale the bullshit.
     Reply #2 - September 05, 2009, 02:33 AM

Yep, it's an anti-spam precaution. Unfortunately there are a lot of human spammers around these days and the usual spambot-blocking techniques don't work on humans. However IMO this has been worth it, because we were just starting to get hit with human spammers and haven't had any trouble since I put this little trick into operation. If they can't post links they will piss off and leave us alone. Afro

Obviously we are not going to publicly state the required postcount before this restriction is removed, and equally obviously we will change the required postcount if that becomes necessary. Also, any spammer that does manage to sneak past will be banned instantly and have all their posts removed as soon as they are discovered.

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #3 - September 05, 2009, 05:20 AM

Good measure Osman, obviously it works... Afro

Reply #4 - September 05, 2009, 09:19 AM

yes, its working really well

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #5 - September 05, 2009, 09:26 AM

In the future could this forum make new users aware that they cannot post links until they make a certain amount of posts. It was very confusing to me when I could not post any links or embed any video.

Thanks

"In a child's power to master the multiplication table, there is more sanctity than in all your shouted "amens" and "holy holies" and "hosannas." An idea is a greater monument than a cathedral. And the advance of man's knowledge is a greater miracle than all the sticks" - Henry Drummond
     Reply #6 - September 05, 2009, 10:14 AM

Actually, that will be a good thing. Can you please Osmanthus add a line in the welcoming email that confirms the opening of the account to tell new members about that anti-spam measure?

Yes that should be useful...

Although in my case I never noticed, because somehow I did not need to link or embed anything until obviously I was past that "number of posts" milestone.

Reply #7 - November 13, 2009, 02:32 PM

Mods - 'Ali Marwa' just tried to join and when he filled in the forum, he clicked send outlook popped up and then outlook was asking for proxy or something.  He is using a proxy server to log on, and has sent an email to the address at the bottom of the form exmuslimcouncil@googlemail.com.

He is on facebook at the moment, so I told him I would mention it directly for him, as I wasnt sure if that email address was working..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #8 - November 14, 2009, 03:15 AM

No idea about that email. Never had anything to do with it. I'll take a look at the contents of the form.

ETA: That email is not in the registration agreement at all. No idea where he saw it. We use this: admins@councilofexmuslims.com

Reply #9 - November 14, 2009, 09:30 AM

what should I tell him about the rest of his problem?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #10 - November 14, 2009, 10:45 AM

I'm not sure what the problem is. As far as I know there is no setting to detect proxies. He should just be able to register like anyone else.

ETA: If necessary he could try registering without using a proxy. He should then be able to use one after that. However I know for a fact we have had stacks of trolls registering with proxies.

Reply #11 - November 14, 2009, 11:15 AM

Sorry to trouble you Os, I explained what you said and then he realised he was logging onto the wrong website :facepalm:

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #12 - November 14, 2009, 11:27 AM

Cheesy Well that would explain the difficulty.

• 1« Previous thread | Next thread »