Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 28, 2024, 06:41 AM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 27, 2024, 01:26 PM

New Britain
April 27, 2024, 08:42 AM

What's happened to the fo...
April 27, 2024, 08:30 AM

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 02:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 08:02 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 12:17 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 05:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 08:06 AM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 05:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 08:53 AM

Theme Changer

Topic: Hello fellow apostates!

(Read 9079 times)
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Hello fellow apostates!
     Reply #30 - September 03, 2009, 07:35 PM

So what are the subjects you will be studying next year within theoretical physics? Do you study about the universe, quarks, anti-matter and all that good stuff?  

I did straight physics at at uni which was pretty dull (apart from I guess Astronomy) and my fellow students were quite far removed from reality.  I regret it now, I wish I had done something like anthropolgy or economics which I find far more interesting.  I found the problem with physics was that it was interesting when studying it as broad concepts, but as soon as you study it at a higher level it gets quite boring and difficult to relate to the immediate world around us.  

I am sure you wont feel the same way, otherwise Cambridge would not have selected you!

Great. I am very abstract when it comes to Physics, so hopefully I won't have that problem. We are different in the sense that I find anthropology, economics and the likes fascinating, but cannot see myself studying them at degree level.

To start with I was a little confused on whether to choose Maths and Theoretical Physics and English Literature. My A level subjects were Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. In the end I chose the Maths and Physics over English Literature because the Literature course looked quite dull in comparison.

The first term entails of Pure Mathematics; here's a copy of a past paper, if you're interested:

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/teaching/pastpapers/2001/Part_IA/PaperIA_1.pdf
     Reply #31 - September 03, 2009, 07:39 PM

Well done on getting into Cambridge. You must be impressively smart to be doing maths at Trinity. I live in Cambridge just a stone's throw from the town centre so if you fancy a beer during freshers week get in touch.

Good luck.

Sure. It'll be great to have someone to talk to and/or give me brief guidance when I arrive.
     Reply #32 - September 03, 2009, 08:49 PM

Welcome to the board Hadugh!! You seem like a smart guy and congrats on getting into Cambridge! My University is not as good as that, but its the best in Canada, UofT! dance

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."
    ~Sir Richard Francis Burton

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #33 - September 03, 2009, 08:57 PM

Great. I am very abstract when it comes to Physics, so hopefully I won't have that problem. We are different in the sense that I find anthropology, economics and the likes fascinating, but cannot see myself studying them at degree level.

To start with I was a little confused on whether to choose Maths and Theoretical Physics and English Literature. My A level subjects were Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. In the end I chose the Maths and Physics over English Literature because the Literature course looked quite dull in comparison.

The first term entails of Pure Mathematics; here's a copy of a past paper, if you're interested:

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/teaching/pastpapers/2001/Part_IA/PaperIA_1.pdf

Gosh some of those equations are long in that exam paper.  50% of my first year was maths too, but I failed it and had to repeat my exams in the summer.    

I remember in the second year having to prove why e=mc2 and went on for several sheets of A4 and I probably got it all wrong anyway (apart from the last line  Wink)

So tell us how you stumbled on this site, and why you became an apostate?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #34 - September 04, 2009, 02:55 AM

My father was an abusive Muslim who gave me serious death-threats every time if I wasn't a 'Good Muslim', and my Mum was the classic example of a the 'kind' Muslim psychopath - kind only when her offspring followed the Islamic religion fanatically, otherwise an absolutely heartless woman who, once during a normal mother-son meal, threatened to butcher me if I was to 'be Gay' or not read the Qur'an

Wow! That is really heavy, Hadrian and must have been very tough on you. How do you feel towards your mother and father now? Have you received any sort of help or counselling with this?

Reply #35 - September 04, 2009, 03:13 AM

Welcome to the board Hadugh!! You seem like a smart guy and congrats on getting into Cambridge! My University is not as good as that, but its the best in Canada, UofT! dance

Actually McGill is the best in Canada grin12.

"We were married by a Reform rabbi in Long Island. A very Reform rabbi. A Nazi."-- Woody Allen
     Reply #36 - September 04, 2009, 03:23 AM

Well done on getting into Cambridge. You must be impressively smart to be doing maths at Trinity. I live in Cambridge just a stone's throw from the town centre so if you fancy a beer during freshers week get in touch.

Good luck.

Abdal Hakim Murad (Tim Winters) teaches theology at Cambridge. He's like the intellectual of the Islamic West. If you happen to befriend any students of theology at Cambridge, be sure to ask them what they think of him.
     Reply #37 - September 04, 2009, 07:51 AM

Can you disprove the existence of God while you're at it doing Physics ?  grin12

It would be a cause for real celebration for us people I have to say.  dance bunny

Welcome to the forum Hadrian. Glad to read your posts.

I can only say, try just staying at Uni most of your times and do some part time work whilst you study so that you can use that as an excuse to stay from your family as much as possible so that you can become your own man and can finally say "Salam Alaikum" to Islam and live free.

Pakistan Zindabad? ya Pakistan sey Zinda bhaag?

Long Live Pakistan? Or run with your lives from Pakistan?
     Reply #38 - September 04, 2009, 08:03 AM

Sure. It'll be great to have someone to talk to and/or give me brief guidance when I arrive.

Make sure you join the massage society if it still exists. You can pick up some very useful skills that will help in future relationships!

Look not above, there is no answer there;
    Pray not, for no one listens to your prayer;
    Near is as near to God as any Far,
    And Here is just the same deceit as There.

- Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
     Reply #39 - September 04, 2009, 08:41 AM

Welcome.  Smiley

"I'm Agnostic about God."

Richard Dawkins
    ==
    "If there is a God, it has to be a man; no woman could or would ever fuck things up like this."
     George Carlin == "...The so-called moderates are actually the public relations arm of Al-Qaeda and the Islamic Republic of Iran."  Maryam Namazie
     Reply #40 - September 04, 2009, 08:47 AM

Can you disprove the existence of God while you're at it doing Physics ?  grin12

It would be a cause for real celebration for us people I have to say.  dance bunny

Someone has already written a book on this subject called "God - The failed hypothesis"

http://www.amazon.com/God-Failed-Hypothesis-Science-Shows/dp/1591026520/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252068391&sr=8-1
     Reply #41 - September 04, 2009, 10:10 AM

Gosh some of those equations are long in that exam paper.  50% of my first year was maths too, but I failed it and had to repeat my exams in the summer.    

I remember in the second year having to prove why e=mc2 and went on for several sheets of A4 and I probably got it all wrong anyway (apart from the last line  Wink)

So tell us how you stumbled on this site, and why you became an apostate?

Maths is all about the practice, really. I don't know if only practice is needed to solve some of those questions, but I'll soon find out.

I came upon this site by having a curious google search to see if there 'Ex-Muslims' really existed; and what do I know - they were so eminent about it too.  Tongue
    I became an apostate after doing general research on Islam, other religions, comparing them and observing the sociological and psychological attitude of Muslims. It just did not fit-in with my personality; the people, the Muslims' general interaction, the basis of Imaan, the verses in the Qur'an advocating that - normally observably harmless - things are gravely sinful: ultimately, to my mind it seemed absurd. And my mind discards of absurdities, thus Islam was discarded without remorse.

I haven't regretted it since. I am a happy Atheist fulfilling a healthy health without superstitions. My purpose in life is not to go to live for eternity with 72 virgins getting drunk from heave's wines and having angels as my slaves. My purpose in life is to make the world that we know today a more prosperous place, for us and the next generation; and to just enjoy the many small, esoteric things in my life.
     Reply #42 - September 04, 2009, 10:13 AM

Wow! That is really heavy, Hadrian and must have been very tough on you. How do you feel towards your mother and father now? Have you received any sort of help or counselling with this?

Not really, I am naturally resilient. As long as I was away from them, and assure that I am away from them, then that's all the 'counselling' I require.
    I've not spoken to my family, partly because they don't want to speak to me. I had a third-party, once I was on the other side of the UK, inform them that I am not even a Muslim. Apparently, I've been told, that she became angry and said that she disowns me. Good for her, I say.  Roll Eyes
     Reply #43 - September 04, 2009, 10:16 AM

Welcome to the forum Hadrian. Glad to read your posts.

I can only say, try just staying at Uni most of your times and do some part time work whilst you study so that you can use that as an excuse to stay from your family as much as possible so that you can become your own man and can finally say "Salam Alaikum" to Islam and live free.

I've actually read a sophistacted theory in Dawkins's 'The God Delusion', which struck me as creative and possibly true, to how the world we know today - which gives us the basic welfare/climate/food to prosper - has come today. If I remember correctly, it's called "The Anthropological principal".
     Reply #44 - September 04, 2009, 10:25 AM

Greetings Hadugh

Reply #45 - September 04, 2009, 11:42 AM

Actually McGill is the best in Canada grin12.

Ahh damn Cry

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself."

"I think religion is just like smoking: Both invented by people, addictive, harmful, and kills!"
    ~RIBS
     Reply #46 - September 04, 2009, 12:12 PM

If Cambridge doesn't go too well after first year, I may get a student visa to Canada (I've always wanted to live there!) and come to study there - be embraced.   parrot
     Reply #47 - September 04, 2009, 12:28 PM

Ahh damn Cry

So... how's life in Canada?  Huh?
     Reply #48 - September 04, 2009, 12:41 PM

So... how's life in Canada?  Huh?

Canada is awesome, especially Toronto. Its a very multicultural country right now lol, mostly Tamils and Pakistanis.

~RIBS
     Reply #49 - September 04, 2009, 12:42 PM

Haha, a bit like my old town where my family live, then.  Tongue
     Reply #50 - September 05, 2009, 08:28 AM

Joined this site after browsing through for a while; you all seem like nice people to become acquainted with!

Anyway, I have freed myself from the Islamic doctrine which my family undeniably held since the age of 16 and have been living on my own since, a great life in comparison I tell you.
    I am an Atheist Liberal who would like to share my experience with those in a similar predicament - wanting to free themselves from Islam - and possibly give them guidance. Also, I would be interested in joining into the debating/general discussion on this forum.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Regards,
    Hadrian.

Welcome to the forums.
    I must admit i am in awe of your bravery and achievements.
    Congratulations on your entry to Uni studying Physics no less! lol

Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence

Reply #51 - June 04, 2010, 07:56 AM

What ever happend to this guy?
     Reply #52 - June 04, 2010, 08:03 AM

dunno, might be worth emailing him for an update.  His email is in his profile Hadugh@yahoo.co.uk

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
  • Previous page 1 2« Previous thread | Next thread »