Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Qur'anic studies today
April 23, 2024, 06:50 AM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 20, 2024, 12:02 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
April 19, 2024, 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
April 19, 2024, 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
April 19, 2024, 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Are there more shia apostates more than sunni?

(Read 6016 times)
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Are there more shia apostates more than sunni?
     OP - September 02, 2009, 04:55 PM

Since I left Islam, I did notice that there were more shia apostates than sunni ones. The shia apostates were mostly from Iran. I have my own take on this which is that shia's traditionally are more exposed to speculative theology and concentrate less on "fiqh". The sunni's have also had a speculative theological tradition which is through their aqeedah. The difference though is that sunni's like to derive alot more from the Quran and Sunnah. From my understanding shia seem to be exposed to more rational thought in their theology, which gives them room to maneuver. The other reason particularly with the Iranians is because of the theocratic oppression they have seen over the past thirty years. Historically they have also not liked the Arab culture that was imposed on an already established civilization.
  • Re: Are there more shia apostates more than sunni?
     Reply #1 - September 02, 2009, 05:09 PM

Hmm interesting. Without any real data to back it up and just from a hunch, I reckon yes. I know quite a few Iranians and Pakistanis marrying western partners, and laid back or apostate Iranians and Iraqis. I don't know for sure if they are all Shi'ites, but they come from a populations that have many of them.
     Reply #2 - September 02, 2009, 05:18 PM

I think its because Iran has lived through the Shah, and there is a group that is very more modern, secular and quite intellectual.  Thats my experience of Iranians anyway.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #3 - September 02, 2009, 05:35 PM

I think its because Iran has lived through the Shah, and there is a group that is very more modern, secular and quite intellectual.  Thats my experience of Iranians anyway.

I knew of one Iranian personally who was born in Iran and came to this country when he was twelve. He's in his early thirties and has a professional job. I was a muslim at that time and remember being at a work related event with him. He used to eat pork, drink and never ever flinched. I know that he enjoys his clubbing and is out every weekend with trips to Ibiza thrown in as well. The strange thing I found was that his wife was the same and also went clubbing with him. We never discussed religion and truth be told I thought that he had some sort of chip on his shoulder and wanted to be like a "gora". I was curious as to why he did it? At the time I really wasn't aware that there were many apostates at that time. He knew I was a practising muslim and maybe didn't want to discuss it with me at that time. I wonder if he will discuss it with me when I tell him of my apostasy.
     Reply #4 - September 02, 2009, 05:39 PM

I know at least 5 Iranians and not a single of them is a Muslim!

Religion - The hot potato that looked delicious but ended up burning your mouth!

Knock your head on the ground, don't be miserly in your prayers, listen to your Sidi Sheikh, Allahu Akbar! - Lounes Matoub
     Reply #5 - September 02, 2009, 05:40 PM

I personally know 2 Iranians, and neither of them are Muslim either.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #6 - September 02, 2009, 05:51 PM

I know of two Iranians, both are muslim. They're really liberal though which is nice, and one of them is very intelligent. She got a first in her dissertation Smiley And her son is extremely intelligent and very artistic and talented!
     Reply #7 - September 02, 2009, 06:20 PM

Since I left Islam, I did notice that there were more shia apostates than sunni ones. The shia apostates were mostly from Iran. I have my own take on this which is that shia's traditionally are more exposed to speculative theology and concentrate less on "fiqh". The sunni's have also had a speculative theological tradition which is through their aqeedah. The difference though is that sunni's like to derive alot more from the Quran and Sunnah. From my understanding shia seem to be exposed to more rational thought in their theology, which gives them room to maneuver. The other reason particularly with the Iranians is because of the theocratic oppression they have seen over the past thirty years. Historically they have also not liked the Arab culture that was imposed on an already established civilization.

I think there are more Ex-Sunnis than Ex-Shi'a on this forum.

Aside from that I think more Iranians than any other nation will leave Islam - at least to start with - but I think that is to do with identity issues rather than Sunni/Shi'a issues.
     Reply #8 - September 02, 2009, 06:56 PM

How about a poll to see how many are Ex-Sunni and how many are Ex-Shitte?

Reply #9 - September 02, 2009, 06:56 PM

I think there are more Ex-Sunnis than Ex-Shi'a on this forum.

But arent they over-represented here, given that 90% of the muslim world is sunni?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #10 - September 02, 2009, 06:58 PM

Go for it, that should show us if they are over-represented here or not, given that they are only 10% of the world muslim population

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #11 - September 02, 2009, 07:05 PM

Yeah that would be interesting.
     Reply #12 - September 02, 2009, 07:06 PM

But arent they over-represented here, given that 90% of the muslim world is sunni?

Look! We win... OK.

Stop nit-picking lol  grin12
     Reply #13 - September 02, 2009, 08:54 PM

Almost everyone in the CEMB seems to be Iranian, so I think, especially among the diaspora and the Western world that there are more out apostates who are shia.

"I am ready to make my confession. I ask for no forgiveness father, for I have not sinned. I have only done what I needed to do to survive. I did not ask for the life that I was given, but it was given nonetheless-and with it, I did my best"
     Reply #14 - September 02, 2009, 09:43 PM

I know loads of Iranians who have left islam, but have embraced christianity now, I went to a church and met them.

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor E. Frankl

'Life is just the extreme expression of complex chemistry' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
     Reply #15 - September 02, 2009, 09:45 PM

Shia's might feel like outcasts by the sunni majority

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #16 - September 02, 2009, 09:47 PM

I have Shia relatives. Thankfully never been an issue.
     Reply #17 - September 03, 2009, 05:37 AM

You're looking at a Shia Atheist right now  bunny

Pakistan Zindabad? ya Pakistan sey Zinda bhaag?

Long Live Pakistan? Or run with your lives from Pakistan?
     Reply #18 - September 03, 2009, 04:43 PM

It is my hunch that Iran will be the first to flip against islam. They are a minority in islam, so the sword verses in the koran are particularly intimidating for them. As was mentioned in the thread they are a bit of the outcasts in the muslims world. They do not revere the original muslims and quite despise them: (i.e: khattab, aisha, uthman, bakr). And the Iranians hate the arabs. They seen islam in action for 30yrs.

"Ask the slave girl; she will tell you the truth.' So the Apostle called Burayra to ask her. Ali got up and gave her a violent beating first, saying, 'Tell the Apostle the truth.'"
  • Are there more shia apostates more than sunni?
     Reply #19 - October 28, 2014, 04:51 PM

Putting this Shia apostate-related picture here to avoid creating a thread just for this:

Danish Never-Moose adopted by the kind people on the CEMB-forum
    Ex-Muslim chat (Unaffliated with CEMB). Safari users: Use "#ex-muslims" as the channel name. CEMB chat thread.
  • 1« Previous thread | Next thread »