Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 12:02 PM

Qur'anic studies today
Yesterday at 08:44 PM

Lights on the way
by akay
Yesterday at 04:40 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Yesterday at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
April 18, 2024, 06:39 PM

New Britain
April 18, 2024, 05:41 PM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: COEM blocked/filtered and censored

(Read 9328 times)
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • COEM blocked/filtered and censored
     OP - September 01, 2009, 08:46 PM

So I was in hospital today, and while I was sitting around waiting for shit to happen I went on the internet, now, I went on another forum I visit every day, and I checked it out fine no problem, but when I tried to go on COEM, it was blocked by the server on grounds of: "racism/hate"!!!

What the hell?

The ironic thing is the other website I accessed fine no problem was a racial/ethnicity forum which is far more touchy and controversial than even the most extreme poster on COEM, yet they had no qualms with it.

Was the admin a Muslim? Or did Muslims complain about it somewhere?

I am now wondering how many other places this would happen, maybe just because of the site title: "ex-Muslims", this might be offensive to Muslims who find apostasy an offensive topic. Does that mean it is blocked in many schools, unis, colleges, public places, libraries or even countries in the same vein as Jihadchat?

This is indeed a hinderence to COEM, many people try and spend their whole time showing that they are not extreme and rather balanced and logical in their outlook, but this is how COEM is treated in return-simply because of appeasement to certain types.

If anyone finds where COEM is blocked they should post it so we can know. The more the censorship-the worst the impact and the less potential ex-Muslims.

Shameful

Rant over.

"I am ready to make my confession. I ask for no forgiveness father, for I have not sinned. I have only done what I needed to do to survive. I did not ask for the life that I was given, but it was given nonetheless-and with it, I did my best"
  • Re: COEM blocked/filtered and censored
     Reply #1 - September 01, 2009, 08:51 PM

That is indeed fucked-up. You should figure out who made the administrative decision to block the site, then post the info here. Whoever it was should receive some letters of protest in their inbox, and so should his or her superiors.

fuck you
     Reply #2 - September 01, 2009, 08:53 PM

Yeah definitely, I did report the decision to the admin, and apparantly they review every report, but I doubt they seriously care.

This isn't the first time COEM was blocked somewhere-it happened in my old school

Strangely, they allowed Spermfront but they didn't allow COEM!!

It seems some hyper sensitive dickhead is at fault.

"I am ready to make my confession. I ask for no forgiveness father, for I have not sinned. I have only done what I needed to do to survive. I did not ask for the life that I was given, but it was given nonetheless-and with it, I did my best"
     Reply #3 - September 01, 2009, 09:00 PM

unbelievable - out of interest if this happens again, can you see if FFI is blocked too..

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #4 - September 01, 2009, 09:05 PM

I did

FFI was blocked

But Islamonline, Ummah, answeringchristianity and a few others weren't. Answering Islam and WikiIslam were blocked also-basically even the most extreme of Muslim websites were allowed (Saudi Arabian government Islamic source included-Al-islam.org) but nothing Islamoskeptic was allowed. RichardDawkins was allowed though.

The strange thing is this hospital was 98% White in a 99.8% white town and county district, no one noticeably Muslim was working there at all. Maybe it's the network they're using?

Reply #5 - September 01, 2009, 09:24 PM

Yeah definitely, I did report the decision to the admin, and apparantly they review every report, but I doubt they seriously care.

This isn't the first time COEM was blocked somewhere-it happened in my old school

Strangely, they allowed Spermfront but they didn't allow COEM!!

It seems some hyper sensitive dickhead is at fault.

Don't forget the power of "CC:" Copy your inquiry to some local and national government/NHS officials, and don't just do e-mail, send a hard copy too. Be sure to press on who made the decision and why (and post the response here), so that, if the CEMB and/or admin of COEM deem it wise, perhaps a letter-writing/e-mail campaign to the appropriate decision-makers and maybe even a press release can be arranged.

In any pressure campaign, though, just remember it is more helpful to hammer a decision-maker lower on the ladder and copy the top people on it, so that the top guys, rather than let it escalate, are more likely to play hero by swooping in and putting a stop to the embarrassing activity. Target the top guys too soon and too aggressively and (1) they might just get pissed-off and dig in their heels then you have no one higher up to appeal to, (2) you may be unable to escalate further-- the unspoken threat of escalating public pressure is a valuable strategic tool.

Does the UK have a version of the Freedom of Information Act in the law?

fuck you
     Reply #6 - September 01, 2009, 09:25 PM

Maybe one of the technicians is a muslim? That is quite appalling though. Muslims are waaay to sensitive, it's ridiculous!
     Reply #7 - September 01, 2009, 09:30 PM

finmad - and thats after we apply a lot of self-censorship

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #8 - September 01, 2009, 09:36 PM

So I was in hospital today, and while I was sitting around waiting for shit to happen I went on the internet, now, I went on another forum I visit every day, and I checked it out fine no problem, but when I tried to go on COEM, it was blocked by the server on grounds of: "racism/hate"!!!

What the hell?

The ironic thing is the other website I accessed fine no problem was a racial/ethnicity forum which is far more touchy and controversial than even the most extreme poster on COEM, yet they had no qualms with it.

Was the admin a Muslim? Or did Muslims complain about it somewhere?

I am now wondering how many other places this would happen, maybe just because of the site title: "ex-Muslims", this might be offensive to Muslims who find apostasy an offensive topic. Does that mean it is blocked in many schools, unis, colleges, public places, libraries or even countries in the same vein as Jihadchat?

This is indeed a hinderence to COEM, many people try and spend their whole time showing that they are not extreme and rather balanced and logical in their outlook, but this is how COEM is treated in return-simply because of appeasement to certain types.

If anyone finds where COEM is blocked they should post it so we can know. The more the censorship-the worst the impact and the less potential ex-Muslims.

Shameful

Rant over.

This is really upsetting to hear, FF.

I like to think we have struck the right balance between being respectful, yet being honest and firm in our criticism.

So it is upsetting to hear that we are being unfairly blocked.
     Reply #9 - September 01, 2009, 09:41 PM

I bet the reality is that whoever blocked us, never even visited this site.  The looked at the title and just put it on the blanket block list.  

I wouldnt have minded if they blocked extremist Muslim sites, but I again I bet those are accessible.  Our voices just are not meant to be heard, even in a country where we practise free speech.

Its no wonder that Islam and other religions propogated as quickly as they did.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #10 - September 01, 2009, 09:48 PM

Our voices just are not meant to be heard,

That's kind of a defeatist attitude. If this site is being blocked by NHS then COEM/CEMB and its membership should do something about it, not just lament the fact.

even in a country where we practise free speech.

You have free speech relative to the Muslim world, perhaps, but relative to my country your country's version of "free speech" is a joke.

fuck you
     Reply #11 - September 01, 2009, 09:58 PM

Can you find the source of the blocking FF?

Then perhaps we can write to complain.
     Reply #12 - September 01, 2009, 10:01 PM

You have free speech relative to the Muslim world, perhaps, but relative to my country your country's version of "free speech" is a joke

I wouldnt put it quite as strongly that,  as the difference is only really that clear when we talk about Islam, and that is because there is a much larger non-integrated and unstable Muslim population here.  

If these Muslims were any different e.g. educated and more powerful, I am sure they wouldn't care less about their sensitivities.

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #13 - September 01, 2009, 10:07 PM

That's kind of a defeatist attitude. If this site is being blocked by NHS then COEM/CEMB and its membership should do something about it, not just lament the fact.

It's not the NHS, just your specific hospital. I managed to view COEM from where I used to work (which was the NHS).
     Reply #14 - September 01, 2009, 10:18 PM

Okay a specific NHS hospital. As I said before, first job for FF is to figure out who exactly made the decision to block and why/how.

fuck you
     Reply #15 - September 01, 2009, 11:02 PM

It would be one of the technicians who blocked it. Either there is a muslim tech there or they have some muslim worker elsewhere complaining to them about these sites. The possibilities are endless though. TBH I would just send a letter of complaint, there's not much else you can do about it.
     Reply #16 - September 02, 2009, 12:16 AM

Interesting. I think Peru's diagnosis is likely correct. Glad to hear it isn't the entire NHS doing the blocking though. Any letters should point out some nice examples of content from sites which are allowed and contrast them with examples from this site. That should put the cat among the pigeons. Wink

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #17 - September 02, 2009, 07:25 AM

good point showing unbanned sites, along with example of comments from as stormfront & extremist muslims sites, vs coem's should put together  a great case

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #18 - September 02, 2009, 07:28 AM

I'm happy to write the letter myself if I could have some suggestions for the content and the address.

Q-Man is right - we should not moan, but start acting.
     Reply #19 - September 02, 2009, 08:22 AM

It's not the NHS, just your specific hospital. I managed to view COEM from where I used to work (which was the NHS).

Ditto!

I work for the NHS but so far they haven't blocked this site (thank god!) although they have blocked FFI.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

The sleeper has awakened -  Dune

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish!
     Reply #20 - September 02, 2009, 08:39 AM

It is not blocked in KSA, surely that means somthing!

Reply #21 - September 02, 2009, 09:07 AM

They don't know abt us RIBS, FFI is blocked...Jihad Chat ain't blocked.

"I'm Agnostic about God."

Richard Dawkins
    ==
    "If there is a God, it has to be a man; no woman could or would ever fuck things up like this."
     George Carlin == "...The so-called moderates are actually the public relations arm of Al-Qaeda and the Islamic Republic of Iran."  Maryam Namazie
     Reply #22 - September 02, 2009, 09:11 AM

Right, let's clarify and update the situation.

It wasn't blocked from the staff POV-I don't know about that, it was blocked on patient's TVs, I wasn't a member of staff, I was a patient. It's not only that hospital, this entertainment provider are the ones responsible to provide TV/internet/radio etc for Suffolk (the county I live)+Essex hospitals. This entertainment provider uses the same internet server, and I asked a friend to find out, and it's the same situation in the other Suffolk and Essex hospitals-so it has something to do with the internet server/provider. The problem lies with the fact that while Suffolk is almost completely non-Muslim-Essex is very Muslim. Colchester has a university with 50% foreign population and around 40% of those are Muslims, it also has many South Asian Brits, Brentwood, Chelmsford, Thurrock, etc etc all have so many Muslims, so this could be a collective problem. I know it's just a hospital and I'm not sure if the same thing applies to staff, but it's the principal, how many other networks/servers are blocking this site due to the name-that's what worries me.....

I'm working on both a letter and finding out the contact address right now.

Thanks for the advice as to content, I will follow it.

Reply #23 - September 02, 2009, 12:03 PM

I know it's just a hospital and I'm not sure if the same thing applies to staff, but it's the principal, how many other networks/servers are blocking this site due to the name-that's what worries me.....

Great work FF - we need more people doing direct action just like you are doing  Afro

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #24 - September 02, 2009, 10:23 PM

We can always stoke up a bit of a petition and have the Council bigwigs throw in their 2c too. Afro

Devious, treacherous, murderous, neanderthal, sub-human of the West. bunny
     Reply #25 - September 03, 2009, 10:23 AM

Right, let's clarify and update the situation.

It wasn't blocked from the staff POV-I don't know about that, it was blocked on patient's TVs, I wasn't a member of staff, I was a patient. It's not only that hospital, this entertainment provider are the ones responsible to provide TV/internet/radio etc for Suffolk (the county I live)+Essex hospitals. This entertainment provider uses the same internet server, and I asked a friend to find out, and it's the same situation in the other Suffolk and Essex hospitals-so it has something to do with the internet server/provider. The problem lies with the fact that while Suffolk is almost completely non-Muslim-Essex is very Muslim. Colchester has a university with 50% foreign population and around 40% of those are Muslims, it also has many South Asian Brits, Brentwood, Chelmsford, Thurrock, etc etc all have so many Muslims, so this could be a collective problem. I know it's just a hospital and I'm not sure if the same thing applies to staff, but it's the principal, how many other networks/servers are blocking this site due to the name-that's what worries me.....

Thanks FF Smiley
     Reply #26 - September 09, 2009, 06:47 PM

Ah well its actually happened in the office now. Our web admins have obviously picked up on 'my' COEM usage and blocked the site. Today when I loaded the site I got the following:

Access Denied (content_filter_denied)

Your request was denied because of its content categorization: "Message Boards and Forums;Productivity"

So my time on the forum is now severely limited! I suppose there's no way round such a block?

Knowing Islam is the only true religion we do not allow propagation of any other religion. How can we allow building of churches and temples when their religion is wrong? Thus we will not allow such wrong things in our countries. - Zakir Naik
     Reply #27 - September 09, 2009, 06:49 PM

visit via a proxy?

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #28 - September 09, 2009, 07:18 PM

Ah well its actually happened in the office now. Our web admins have obviously picked up on 'my' COEM usage and blocked the site. Today when I loaded the site I got the following:

Access Denied (content_filter_denied)

Your request was denied because of its content categorization: "Message Boards and Forums;Productivity"

So my time on the forum is now severely limited! I suppose there's no way round such a block?

Who is responsible for blocking it?
     Reply #29 - September 09, 2009, 07:19 PM

Use a proxy, atunnel.com is one. You can use google to find heaps more.
  • 12 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »