Skip navigation
Sidebar -

Advanced search options →

Welcome

Welcome to CEMB forum.
Please login or register. Did you miss your activation email?

Donations

Help keep the Forum going!
Click on Kitty to donate:

Kitty is lost

Recent Posts

Lights on the way
by akay
Today at 04:40 PM

Qur'anic studies today
by zeca
Today at 02:45 PM

اضواء على الطريق ....... ...
by akay
Today at 12:50 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Today at 04:17 AM

What's happened to the fo...
by zeca
Yesterday at 06:39 PM

New Britain
Yesterday at 05:41 PM

Do humans have needed kno...
Yesterday at 05:47 AM

Iran launches drones
April 13, 2024, 09:56 PM

عيد مبارك للجميع! ^_^
by akay
April 12, 2024, 04:01 PM

Eid-Al-Fitr
by akay
April 12, 2024, 12:06 PM

Mock Them and Move on., ...
January 30, 2024, 10:44 AM

Pro Israel or Pro Palesti...
January 29, 2024, 01:53 PM

Theme Changer

Topic: Quotes you would consider for your signature

(Read 263306 times)
  • Previous page 1 ... 30 31 3233 34 ... 55 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »
  • Re: Quotes you would consider for your signature
     Reply #930 - May 13, 2011, 05:42 AM

There is unrest in the forest
    There is trouble with the trees
    For the maples want more sunlight
    And the oaks ignore their pleas

The trouble with the maples
    (And they're quite convinced they're right)
    They say the oaks are just too lofty
    And they grab up all the light
    But the oaks can't help their feelings
    If they like the way they're made
    And they wonder why the maples
    Can't be happy in their shade

There is trouble in the forest
    And the creatures all have fled
    As the maples scream 'Oppression!'
    And the oaks just shake their heads

So the maples formed a union
    And demanded equal rights
    'The oaks are just too greedy
    We will make them give us light'
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    For they passed a noble law
    And the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw

Rush "The Trees"

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
    My political philosophy below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwGat4i8pJI&feature=g-vrec
    Just kidding, here are some true heros
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTgvK6LQqA
     Reply #931 - May 13, 2011, 05:57 AM

So once again I'm left with the classic Irish man's dilemma, do I eat the potato or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?
     Reply #932 - May 13, 2011, 04:20 PM

Afro

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #933 - May 13, 2011, 05:12 PM

Various entries from a rich collection:

CYNIC, n.
        A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.

EDUCATION, n.
        That which discloses to the wise and disguises from the foolish their lack of understanding.

FAITH, n.
        Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel.

IMMORAL, adj.
        Inexpedient. Whatever in the long run and with regard to the greater number of instances men find to be generally inexpedient comes to be considered wrong, wicked, immoral. If man's notions of right and wrong have any other basis than this of expediency; if they originated, or could have originated, in any other way; if actions have in themselves a moral character apart from, and nowise dependent on, their consequences -- then all philosophy is a lie and reason a disorder of the mind.

MAD, adj.
        Affected with a high degree of intellectual independence; not conforming to standards of thought, speech and action derived by the conformants from study of themselves; at odds with the majority; in short, unusual. It is noteworthy that persons are pronounced mad by officials destitute of evidence that themselves are sane. For illustration, this present (and illustrious) lexicographer is no firmer in the faith of his own sanity than is any inmate of any madhouse in the land; yet for aught he knows to the contrary, instead of the lofty occupation that seems to him to be engaging his powers he may really be beating his hands against the window bars of an asylum and declaring himself Noah Webster, to the innocent delight of many thoughtless spectators.

Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
     Reply #934 - May 14, 2011, 04:32 AM

No one person can claim to live life better than you if you are happy

At evening, casual flocks of pigeons make
    Ambiguous undulations as they sink,
    Downward to darkness, on extended wings. - Stevens
     Reply #935 - May 15, 2011, 04:14 PM

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
    If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
    If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Marcus Aurelius

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #936 - May 19, 2011, 08:16 PM

"I strongly urge you to accept your mortality. Do not let your fear of your inevitable death make you waste your own mortal life pursuing phantasms and delusions. Look at yourself in the mirror. For billions of years, those particle, which are currently looking back at you have circulated in the universe. But for a brief moment they have coalesced in you. Rejoice in the impressive instant until they dissipate whence they came.

Delight that you're a spark of life in the universe. Life is so much more vibrant and vivid without bronze age paranoid superstitions, that cloud and contract the mind with some empty and undesirable promise that sparks can burn forever. Our time is finite. This gives our lives meaning. This gives our lives purpose. This gives our lives urgency. Live life today; savor it. "

Thunderf00t

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #937 - May 20, 2011, 04:24 AM

Well, I don't really see the big issue when the big cornerstone in modern theology seems to be that uncertainty = possibility = plausibility = certainty. -A random poster

Reply #938 - May 20, 2011, 10:32 AM

Harvey Milk, America's first openly gay politician to be elected to public office:

“If I turned around every time somebody called me a faggot, I’d be walking backwards – and I don’t want to walk backwards.” Harvey Milk
     Reply #939 - May 20, 2011, 07:16 PM

"For most of history, Anonymous was a woman." - Anon Virgina Woolf
     Reply #940 - May 20, 2011, 08:32 PM

"For most of history, Anonymous was a woman." - Anon Virgina Woolf

This gave me a weird mental image of a feminised /b/. Maybe it'd be at least slightly more lulzy?

@thread:
    "Life is the stuff that happens to you while you're making other plans."
    "The quickest way to a man's heart is through his ribcage."
    "Deceive boys with toys, but men with oaths."
    "It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them."
    "Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have."

Reply #941 - May 20, 2011, 09:35 PM

This gave me a weird mental image of a feminised /b/. Maybe it'd be at least slightly more lulzy?

I assume this is a geeky reference to 4chan so I'm going to nod along like I understand what you're saying ^
     Reply #942 - May 21, 2011, 09:31 AM

A quote from Christopher Hitchens on free speech, the right to be offended, and censorship:

"A true story... Doctor Samuel Johnson produced the first real literary dictionary of the English language. He was visited by delegates, including some ladies who said, "we congratulate you on your refusal to include any obscene or indecent words in your dictionary". Johnson replied, "ladies, I congratulate you on your assiduity on looking these words up." If you understand what this is symbolic of, you know what the censorious nature is; the instinct to censor. That there is no possibility of not offending people who are determined to be offended, who will look for occasions to announce that they have been offended, in this case a group of people who went out of their way to look up words in a dictionary that they would consider offensive".
     Reply #943 - May 21, 2011, 04:21 PM

I assume this is a geeky reference to 4chan so I'm going to nod along like I understand what you're saying ^

Indeed.

@thread: "In conclusion, I invite the media to all grow a pair. And if you can’t, I will lend you mine." Amy Poehler as Hilary Clinton on Saturday Night Live

"The sexiest parts of my body? My brain, my spine and my guts."

"Haven't you got any romance in your soul?" said Magrat plaintively.
    "No," said Granny. "I ain't. And stars don't care what you wish, and magic don't make things better, and no one doesn't get burned who sticks their hand in a fire. If you want to amount to anything as a witch, Magrat Garlick, you got to learn three things. What's real, what's not real, and what's the difference."
    -Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad

"A 'No' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble."
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"Never grow a wishbone where your backbone ought to be"
    -Cynthia Paddleford

"Heartless it may be, but headless it ain't. I've never claimed to be nice, just to be sensible."
    -Granny Weatherwax, Terry Pratchett's Lords and Ladies
     Reply #944 - May 21, 2011, 08:46 PM

"...If you don't live, you have nothing to write about."

- Maynard J. Keenan

"Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well."
    - Robert Louis Stevenson
     Reply #945 - May 25, 2011, 09:27 PM

The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink what you don't like, and do what you'd rather not.
    ~Mark Twain

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #946 - May 25, 2011, 10:56 PM

"Get Crunk"
    ~ Some black guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa6qpgLvH30

Get crunk.
     Reply #947 - May 26, 2011, 12:00 PM

All Richard Dawkins quotes...

" After sleeping through a hundred million centuries we have finally opened our eyes on a sumptuous planet, sparkling with color, bountiful with life. Within decades we must close our eyes again. Isn’t it a noble, an enlightened way of spending our brief time in the sun, to work at understanding the universe and how we have come to wake up in it? This is how I answer when I am asked—as I am surprisingly often—why I bother to get up in the mornings."
    — Richard Dawkins

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world."
    — Richard Dawkins

"Be thankful that you have a life, and forsake your vain and presumptuous desire for a second one."
    — Richard Dawkins

"Many of us saw religion as harmless nonsense. Beliefs might lack all supporting evidence but, we thought, if people needed a crutch for consolation, where's the harm? September 11th changed all that."
    — Richard Dawkins

"THE MAJORITY of children born into the world tend to inherit the beliefs of their parents, and that to me is one of the most regrettable facts of them all"
    — Richard Dawkins

"I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits."
    — Richard Dawkins (The God Delusion)

Reply #948 - May 26, 2011, 04:10 PM

brilliant, each one of them!

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #949 - May 26, 2011, 05:00 PM

"In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love; they had five hundred years of democracy and peace and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock." - Orson Welles
     Reply #950 - May 26, 2011, 05:47 PM

I'd take a cuckoo clock in exchange for death anyday

My Book     news002       
    My Blog  pccoffee
     Reply #951 - May 26, 2011, 06:49 PM

Philistine.
     Reply #952 - May 26, 2011, 07:54 PM

"The other idiosyncrasy of philosophers is no less perilous; it consists in mistaking the last for the first. They put that which comes at the end — unfortunately!  for it ought not to come at all! — the 'highest concepts', that is to say the most general, the emptiest concepts, the last fumes of evaporating reality — at the beginning as the beginning.  It is again only the expression of their way of showing reverence: the higher must not be allowed to grow out of the lower, must not be allowed to have grown at all...  Moral: whatever is of the first rank must be causa sui. Origin in something else counts as an objection, as casting a doubt on value. All supreme values are of the first rank; all the supreme concepts, that which is, the unconditioned, the good, the true, the perfect — all that cannot have become, must therefore be causa sui. But neither can these supreme concepts be incommensurate with one another, be incompatible with one another... Thus they arrive at their stupendous concept, 'God'. The last, thinnest, emptiest is placed as the first, as cause in itself, as ens realissimum... That mankind should have taken seriously the brain-sick fancies of morbid cobweb-spinners! — And it has paid dearly for doing so!"

Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols (trans: R. J. Hollingdale)
     Reply #953 - May 26, 2011, 08:09 PM

Interesting, Nietzsche as quotable as ever. What is that book about ^?
     Reply #954 - May 26, 2011, 08:13 PM

"Nietzsche is dead"

- God

"we can smell traitors and country haters"

God is Love.
    Love is Blind. Stevie Wonder is blind. Therefore, Stevie Wonder is God.

Reply #955 - May 26, 2011, 08:16 PM

Not really a quote, but this passage from Restaurant at the end of the universe by Douglas Adams is brilliant.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is an indispensable companion to all those who are keen to make sense of life in an infinitely complex and confusing Universe, for though it cannot hope to be useful or informative on all matters, it does at least make the reassuring claim, that where it is inaccurate it is at least definitely inaccurate. In cases of major discrepancy it’s always reality that’s got it wrong. This was the gist of the notice. It said “The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.”

This has led to some interesting consequences. For instance, when the Editors of the Guide were sued by the families of those who had died as a result of taking the entry on the planet Traal literally (it said “Ravenous Bugblatter beasts often make a very good meal for visiting tourists” instead of “Ravenous Bugblatter beasts often make a very good meal of visiting tourists") they claimed that the first version of the sentence was the more aesthetically pleasing, summoned a qualified poet to testify under oath that beauty was truth, truth beauty and hoped thereby to prove that the guilty party was Life itself for failing to be either beautiful or true. The judges concurred, and in a moving speech held that Life itself was in contempt of court, and duly confiscated it from all those there present before going off to enjoy a pleasant evening’s ultragolf.

19:46   <zizo>: hugs could pimp u into sex

Quote from: yeezevee
    well I am neither ex-Muslim nor absolute 100% Non-Muslim.. I am fucking Zebra

Reply #956 - May 26, 2011, 10:06 PM

Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's a cha-cha. - Robert Brault

After 5000 years of recorded human history, you wonder, what part of 2,000,000 sunrises doesn't a pessimist understand? - Robert Brault

Started from the bottom, now I'm here
    Started from the bottom, now my whole extended family's here

JOIN THE CHAT
     Reply #957 - May 27, 2011, 09:19 AM

Interesting, Nietzsche as quotable as ever. What is that book about ^?

It's a whirlwind summary of his own philosophy, and as such gets some stick for being relatively crude - shrill, even - compared to his earlier work.

To me, it was a book about bad philosophy, poor historical sense, and how the prevailing conception of human nature (and thence morality) in a post-Christian world was as yet unchanged from when the claims of an all-powerful God still held sway. His characterisation of various philosophers is fun to read; he bashes Utilitarians (allegedly without having bothered to read any - the English have a particular place in his demonology), and - unsurprisingly - he doesn't care much for Kant. My copy has The Anti-Christ bundled with it; as a complementary piece, intriguing reading.

edit: Sentence order. Always a good thing to get right first time. Oh well..
     Reply #958 - May 27, 2011, 10:04 AM

"...If you don't live, you have nothing to write about."

- Maynard J. Keenan

I like you just for referencing this guy.  Afro

"Live as if you will die tomorrow, learn as if you will live forever". Gandhi. Probably my favourite quote of all time.
     Reply #959 - May 27, 2011, 05:45 PM

"The central belief of every moron is that he is the victim of a mysterious conspiracy against his common rights and true deserts. He ascribes all his failure to get on in the world, all of his congenital incapacity and damfoolishness, to the machinations of werewolves assembled in Wall Street, or some other such den of infamy. If these villains could be put down, he holds, he would at once become rich, powerful and eminent. Nine politicians out of every ten, of whatever party, live and have their being by promising to perform this putting down. In brief, they are knaves who maintain themselves by preying on the idiotic vanities and pathetic hopes of half-wits."

H.L. Mencken, Baltimore Evening Sun, June 15, 1936.
  • Previous page 1 ... 30 31 3233 34 ... 55 Next page « Previous thread | Next thread »